DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 03-25-2009, 08:20 PM

Default Drum Decision - I NEED Your veiw!

Hey

Ok so i want a new kit! The Specs i need are:

Bass - 20" or 22" by 18" or 20"
Tom - 12" by 8 or less
Floor tom - 14" or 16" by 14" or 16"
Snare - Any size really 13" to 14" by 5.5" to 6"

No bass mount.
A Rod Mouting system.
Less than 900
I play rock
No hardware
No Cymbals

Ok so the kits im looking at are:

Tama SuperStar HyperDrive - 20"x22" Bass drum, 6.5"x10" Tom, 7"x12" Tom, 14"x16" Floor tom, 6"x13" Snare Drum. 899

Sonor 3007 - Bass Drum 22"x20", Snare Drum 14"x6", Tom 12"x8", Floor Tom 16"x16".

Ddrum Defiant - 18" x 20" Bass Drum, 5.5"x14" Snare, 8"x12" Tom, 13"x14" Floor Tom.

I Think im going to forget the Tama as its soo expensive in comparison.The Ddrum i fell in love with at my local drum shop. I'm really stuck with this and REALY NEED SOME GOOD ADVICE! i would REALLY would like a 13" Snare, so if i got the Sonor or the Ddrum i could possibly get a custom snare from SJC, OCDP or Truth as they are much cheeper

I hope you can help!

Calum

I hope you can help.

Tama Superstar Hyperdrive
Sabian AAX/HHX
Old 03-26-2009, 02:09 AM

Default Re: Drum Decision - I NEED Your veiw!

Don't know much about the ddrum model.

Unless ddrum is spectacular, I'd go with the Sonor kit and get a nice custom snare.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:12 AM

Dont forget about the Gretsch catalina club mod, it fits the sizes you want, with a virgin bass drum and rod mounted tom. The Ddrum Defiant is a great kit too, sounds really good. No matter what you buy, my advice would be to choose a kit you like, and spend a little extra on a good snare.. This is just an opinion of course. Good luck!

Forgot to mention, I'm not saying you shouldnt choose the sonor or tama, personally I dont care for the lower end sonor kits, and I have no experience with a tama hyperdrive kit.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:38 AM
Platinum Member

They don't sell the Ddrum Defiant over here in the states in that configuration. I'd go with the Ddrum of the Tama.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Big_Philly

I'd take the Sonor, despite my bias towards Tama...
Old 03-26-2009, 02:00 PM

Yeah not much experience in the Ddrum area. Sonor sounds good n' reliable. then you have 400 to spend on the snare
Old 03-26-2009, 03:21 PM
Gold Member

This is really going to be up to your ears. You owe it to yourself to get out there and play a few kits in your price range and se what sounds best to you.
I had a Club mod for a short period of time and was impressed with the sound!
The CM is in the process (so I hear) of being disco'd and musiciansfriend.com has the Tatoo finish shelly for $399. What is gonna matter most is sound and build..Go play some drums!
Old 03-26-2009, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamahammer View Post
This is really going to be up to your ears. You owe it to yourself to get out there and play a few kits in your price range and se what sounds best to you.
I had a Club mod for a short period of time and was impressed with the sound!
The CM is in the process (so I hear) of being disco'd and musiciansfriend.com has the Tatoo finish shelly for $399. What is gonna matter most is sound and build..Go play some drums!
Erm yeah we don't have MusiciansFriend in the UK mate!
Old 03-26-2009, 07:38 PM

Some good advice there guys :) Thanks

Im not going to go with the Tama as its just too expensive for what u get. its just between the sonor and the Ddrum. Man its soo hard when u havent herd/played the kits. Im going to go to my drum shop and play the Ddrum and then the sonor. The thing is i would have to trade my old ( current) kit in so i would lose the snare stand, pedel and hat stand so i would have to buy those again, unless i could just not give them. A custom snare would be amazing but does anyone no the shipping costs from the us from SJC or OCDP?

calum

Sabian AAX/HHX
Old 03-26-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kothlow View Post
Dont forget about the Gretsch catalina club mod, it fits the sizes you want, with a virgin bass drum and rod mounted tom. The Ddrum Defiant is a great kit too, sounds really good. No matter what you buy, my advice would be to choose a kit you like, and spend a little extra on a good snare.. This is just an opinion of course. Good luck!

Forgot to mention, I'm not saying you shouldnt choose the sonor or tama, personally I dont care for the lower end sonor kits, and I have no experience with a tama hyperdrive kit.
Meh everyone has the catalina club mod! + i dont like the finishes :) there is a Reown Maple in my drum shop for 850 so i would get that and not a custom snare.

Thanks

Calum

Sabian AAX/HHX
Old 03-26-2009, 07:58 PM

At this price range, they'll all sound the same. Not tonally but none of those kits will be perfect. All it really comes down to is who offers the coolest finishes, because on these drums the head makes the drum. With the correct tuning and heads it can sound like a pro kit.

this is just my opinion, but if you're trading your current drums in.. Keep your hardware, all of it. They will give you next to nothing for the stands seeing how its in their best intrests to sell brand new stands at the time they sell your kit. You'll spend more replacing the stands you used to have meanwhile they probably won't give you more than 20 quid.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Valkyrie View Post
At this price range, they'll all sound the same. Not tonally but none of those kits will be perfect. All it really comes down to is who offers the coolest finishes, because on these drums the head makes the drum. With the correct tuning and heads it can sound like a pro kit.

this is just my opinion, but if you're trading your current drums in.. Keep your hardware, all of it. They will give you next to nothing for the stands seeing how its in their best intrests to sell brand new stands at the time they sell your kit. You'll spend more replacing the stands you used to have meanwhile they probably won't give you more than 20 quid.
Yeah, so i will go with either the Sonor or the Ddrum. The Sonor has maple shells and the Ddrum has Brasswood shells so which is better?

Sabian AAX/HHX
Old 03-26-2009, 11:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calummordue View Post
Some good advice there guys :) Thanks

Im not going to go with the Tama as its just too expensive for what u get. its just between the sonor and the Ddrum. Man its soo hard when u havent herd/played the kits. Im going to go to my drum shop and play the Ddrum and then the sonor. The thing is i would have to trade my old ( current) kit in so i would lose the snare stand, pedel and hat stand so i would have to buy those again, unless i could just not give them. A custom snare would be amazing but does anyone no the shipping costs from the us from SJC or OCDP?

calum
You could try a homegrown custom brand such as highwood www.highwooddrums.co.uk who make steambent snares for about 400 (cheaper for a 13") which is hugely good value plus you're supporting the UK economy! Compare that to SJC or OCDP where you get a normal ply keller shelled snare drum for about the same money and you have to wait for the shipping, not to mention customs and VAT charges which you'll have to take into account.

Btw i would say that maple is generally considered to be the superior sounding of the 2 woods (BASSwood it's called btw) but i know some people like it. Plus it's lighter.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:59 PM

More tonal qualities with the maple. Judging by the high end Sonors, Delite, S classix, I would guess the force series is slightly better than ddrum. Ddrums sound ok but their big selling point is the looks.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
Btw i would say that maple is generally considered to be the superior sounding of the 2 woods (BASSwood it's called btw) but i know some people like it. Plus it's lighter.
Ok so i should go with the Sonor technically as it is better wood, but practically i may like the Ddrum feel/sound more.

After looking at the Highwood Website i may scrap with Sonor or the Ddrum idea as i could get a fully custom kit from them in the exact sizes i want for the same price. i was looking at there " Custom Lite" and it looks perfect. what do you think to that idea?

Sabian AAX/HHX
Old 03-27-2009, 01:09 AM
Gold Member

There is no comparison - Sonor over ddrum anyday.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:17 AM

go for sonor! good quality, yet not too expensive...
Old 03-27-2009, 04:34 AM

why don't you get something used. these are some sweet kits check em out...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/YAMAHA-Maple-C...1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ludwig-USA-Cla...1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pearl-Masters-...1%7C240%3A1318

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Gretsch-Catali...1%7C240%3A1318

out of the ones you mentioned though, def the SONOR
Old 03-27-2009, 09:23 AM

If I were you I'd buy a used kit.

If you wouldn't want used I'd definately go for a Highwood. Those drums will be far superior to the Ddrum, Tama and Sonor.

If you wouldn't want a highwood (you'd be mad ;)) I'd go for the Sonor. They are very nice kits, especially for only that kind of money.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:18 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake[BE] View Post
If I were you I'd buy a used kit.

If you wouldn't want used I'd definately go for a Highwood. Those drums will be far superior to the Ddrum, Tama and Sonor.

If you wouldn't want a highwood (you'd be mad ;)) I'd go for the Sonor. They are very nice kits, especially for only that kind of money.
How could you say the Highwoods are better than the Sonors? They are both top notch, sure, but Sonor has had far more experience with that quality?
Old 03-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
After looking at the Highwood Website i may scrap with Sonor or the Ddrum idea as i could get a fully custom kit from them in the exact sizes i want for the same price. i was looking at there " Custom Lite" and it looks perfect. what do you think to that idea?
Great idea. They're excellent drums and you can choose exactly what sizes you want on everything. Plus as i say they're a UK make and you're supporting our economy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoSyzygy View Post
How could you say the Highwoods are better than the Sonors? They are both top notch, sure, but Sonor has had far more experience with that quality?
I disagree. I mean sure the high end sonor stuff is probably as good but the 3007s remember are just a midrange mass produced kit whereas the Highwood drums are top quality custom built to your specs with shells they make in house to your size and thickness. For that same level of service on a sonor you'd have to get an SQ2 kit which is clearly way too expensive in this case.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
Erm yeah we don't have MusiciansFriend in the UK mate!
oops.Nevermind then..
Old 03-27-2009, 04:43 PM
trkdrmr

Quote:
There is no comparison - Sonor over ddrum anyday.
Especially since the defiant is....
buh---buh--buh....

(I know I can do it)

Bay....

(a little more, sound it out...)

Basswood!

:/
Old 03-27-2009, 04:47 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat

Of the two go for the Sonor. Any day of the week.

Alternatively, if you can find a good used kit then consider that. Given the current circumstances, you might be able to score something really special for a bit more outlay.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:29 PM

Im not comfortable with getting a used kit... i don't no what it but i love the whole experience of getting the box and building it. i think im going to forget the Ddrum. I will go play some Highwood kits and sonor kits. If i was going without playing them i would go with the Highwood, if that makes any sence.i love the whole custom thing.

Sabian AAX/HHX
Old 03-27-2009, 09:35 PM

I would definitely take the sonor.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randrade89 View Post
I would definitely take the sonor.
Over the Highwood Drums?

Sabian AAX/HHX
Old 03-27-2009, 09:41 PM

No, over the tama and ddrum. But I still think sonor drums have very good quality and are not sooo expensive. Why not give it a go.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randrade89 View Post
No, over the tama and ddrum. But I still think sonor drums have very good quality and are not sooo expensive. Why not give it a go.
Because i want a custom kit for the same price. If the custom kit fails then i will go with the sonor

Sabian AAX/HHX
Old 03-27-2009, 11:59 PM
Gold Member

i have never heard a bad thing about the Sonor 3007's and they sound awfully nice...
Old 03-28-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Highwood produces premium quality shells. All their shells are made from premium quality woods and come from the same molds, even their "budget" line, the Custom Lite. The only difference is that the Custom Line is only available with thin shells and more limited options.
Sonor Force 3007 are made in China, use cheaper wood and are mass produced, I think in the same factory that makes the Mapex M kits. Not that that makes them bad kits at any rate of course, I have a Force3005 myself (as well as a teardrop). But Force 3007 kits are still mid-range kits.
Furthermore, Highwood comes with decent Evans heads, Force's use Asian Remo's, which aren't of the same quality of the USA Remo's.

I feel you just get more bang for buck for a Highwood. You get a unique, custom kit, completely to your wishes. If I lived in the UK and had 900 to spend, that's what I would do. Plus, you'd be supporting a hardworking local company with great service.

But I'd advise Calummordue to play all kits and see which one he likes best. Then buy that one. Buying drums is more of a gut feeling and a matter of personal taste than anything else, and all the advice in the world doesn't change that.
Old 03-28-2009, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake[BE] View Post
Highwood produces premium quality shells. All their shells are made from premium quality woods and come from the same molds, even their "budget" line, the Custom Lite. The only difference is that the Custom Line is only available with thin shells and more limited options.
Sonor Force 3007 are made in China, use cheaper wood and are mass produced, I think in the same factory that makes the Mapex M kits. Not that that makes them bad kits at any rate of course, I have a Force3005 myself (as well as a teardrop). But Force 3007 kits are still mid-range kits.
Furthermore, Highwood comes with decent Evans heads, Force's use Asian Remo's, which aren't of the same quality of the USA Remo's.

I feel you just get more bang for buck for a Highwood. You get a unique, custom kit, completely to your wishes. If I lived in the UK and had 900 to spend, that's what I would do. Plus, you'd be supporting a hardworking local company with great service.

But I'd advise Calummordue to play all kits and see which one he likes best. Then buy that one. Buying drums is more of a gut feeling and a matter of personal taste than anything else, and all the advice in the world doesn't change that.
Yeah, man thats some good advice! i will go and play both kits. and decide from there. if i had too choose with out playing then i would go with the highwood drums as there custom and unique, but as i said i will go have a look.

Thanks man!

Calum mordue

Sabian AAX/HHX
Old 03-29-2009, 02:37 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

Sorry, I got my wires crossed. I thought we were talking Sonors top end vs Highwood top end.
Old 04-04-2009, 11:45 PM

Default Drum Decision - Highwood drums, do YOU own any?

Ok so i think im going to go with the high wood drums. does anyone have any experience with playing them and there customer service

Sabian AAX/HHX
Old 04-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Drum Decision - Highwood drums, do YOU own any?

Quote:
Ok so i think im going to go with the high wood drums. does anyone have any experience with playing them and there customer service
the user Khaine88 bought a Highwood steambent snare drum and he seems pretty satisfied with it but you'll have to ask him.

EHs Music Facebook Page