DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-22-2009, 10:37 AM
Platinum Member

Default Axis Pedal Mod- The 'Low Down' on foot board attitude

For those not familiar with Axis pedals and those who are, one of the features currently NOT AVAILABLE on them is an easy foot board height adjustment, independent of beater angle.

Axis offers 'optional' spacers which slip between the foot board and linkage strap. Mainly
intended for raising the foot board, these spacers can 'play both ways'... read on.

With the optional Axis spacers, up is not a problem. Players are frustrated with not being able to lower Axis foot boards without 'wacking-out' other adjustments. The slave side of the Axis double largely remains clear of this problem. Slave can be adjusted easily, as they move freely inside the connecting shaft, so its pretty easy to dial in any pitch on the slave board independent of beater angle.

Below is a relatively simple mod/adjustment that just may work for those in need of 'getting down' with their Axis pedal board's.

This mod is done on an Axis X model. Axis supplied allen wrenches and couple of other tools is all you'll need. While turning any screws on any Axis pedal, do proceed with caution. Use lubrication and start all screws back into their holes with your fingers until the threads catch smoothly. Please be sure you feel comfortable doing this mod/adjustment before attempting. If it seems difficult, please don't try it without professional help.

Step by step:

1. First loosen the heel plate hinge screws on the bottom of the pedal. This will free-up unwanted tension on the linkage strap. You might want to go ahead and remove the screws completely, separate the heel-block (rear hinge) from the base plate. Take advantage of this opportunity to inspect the heel-block for slop/looseness and 'clean the back yard'.

Assuming the screws on the 'top' of the foot board are tight; if you have any play at the heel-block hinge, you've got two options for tightening. If there's a slight amount of play, you can (very carefully) tightening the allen screws without heating the heel-block (cold-crank). Its better you don't attempt this procedure if your not experienced/comfortable with tightening small allen screws. The screws are set in 'lock-tite'. With a cold-crank, if you over-tighten, you'll strip the head of the screw. When the lock-tite is cold (room temp), expect screws to move 'just a shade'.

Should you have a good bit of play/slop in the heel block (which is rare), you'll need to heat the block before tightening the screws to take up the play. Refer to Axis' heating/cooking procedure.

2. Loosen the ball bearing linkage strap's locking screw (see pic 2 below). Very important you do this, otherwise you'll strip the screw that holds the linkage strap to the 'number one'. Remember, this mod/adjustment is for the Axis X model. If you have an A model, look at what your doing and proceed with caution attempting this step. I don't have an A model so its up to you to blaze that trail.

3. With the locking screw loosened, remove the bearing linkage strap from the 'number one'- this is 'Axis speak' for the section of the pedal which connects to the main output shaft, has the beater running through it etc. (see pic 3 below), or http://www.axispercussion.com/images/ADJPage%201.pdf

Pay close attention to the washer that sits 'between' the linkage strap and the number-one... set it aside, don't lose it (see pic 4 below).

4. Remove the linkage strap from the foot board (see pic 5 below).

5. This next step is the most difficult and the 'twist' which makes it all happen. You need to 'first' loosen the locking screw which secures the pin the bearing hangs on (see pic 6 below). Critical, if you don't loosen this screw, you won't get the pin out. I suggest one does not attempt to remove the screw from the linkage strap, assuming to make the 'flip' there, you'll more than likely damage the threads and the bearing. Should the screw come out freely though (anything is possible), you'll save yourself the next step. Do not force the screw! The pin (below) is not threaded and will 'yield'... only offering dutiful, designed resistance.

Next, lubricate the pin heavily. How you do this next step depends on the tools available. A small mechanical press would be best. I gripped the square section with a pair of 'vice-grips', then removed the pin with the pictured ice-pic and a mallet (see pic 7 below). Be extra careful if/when administering blows, you do-not want to damage the bearing. Take this opportunity to clean (brake cleaner, solvent, etc.) and re-lubricate the bearings while the linkage strap is free from its connections.

6. The square piece (lower section of the linkage strap) needs to be reversed (flipped) allowing it to rest on top of the foot board, this will result in a loss of foot board height-independent of other settings. The linkage strap will now be re-attached to the foot board by inserting the screws from the bottom. Optional Axis spacers, or any spacer you can fabricate, will lower the foot board even further. I found 'the flip' alone, gave the perfect amount of 'negative foot board angle' I was looking for.

Photo 9 below: Here we sit, lowered just enough to be happy for now and it only took about 40 mins.

I don't pretend this is optimal, as we're descending the foot board in set increments which are dependent on the width of the spacer(s) used. It is a workable option though, at least until Axis gives us a 'factory fix'. If/when that happens, I would guess current Axis owners will need to upgrade at a price$

This mod/adjustment may just answer some 'lower foot board' prayers, or at least hold some over till the creator makes the needed refinements.

To clear up any confusion that may occur from picture interpretation; pic 2 is 'post mod/adjustment', pedal there is being disassembled for pics. "The flip" actually happens to what Axis correctly terms the '#3 Toe Piece'. The (#4) ball bearing linkage itself technically does not get 'flipped', the #3 toe piece does.
Attached Images

Last edited by Les Ismore; 03-22-2009 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:01 AM

Default Re: Axis Pedal Mod- The 'Low Down' on foot board attitude

i might try this. How is this different than screwing the footplate from the bottom with out the flip (will it be even lower?). That is how I have my pedal set now, and the heel block is in the farthest back position.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:25 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Axis Pedal Mod- The 'Low Down' on foot board attitude

The 'flip' yields around a 1.4 cm drop from stock.

Mounting the foot board to the bottom of the 'toe piece' will increase the drop about another 1/16" (1.58 mm or total 1.6 cm down from stock), It also produces a slightly nastier profile. OK if you wear shoes, I play barefoot.