DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-22-2009, 09:37 AM

Default Help: Using Triggers Live?

I'm trying to figure out how this whole thing works before I waste money through trial and error, so I'll say how I think things work and you fine gentlemen can set me straight:

1)trigger is attached to the drum
2)trigger is connected to a module
3)module is???

From here, in a live setting, is the module plugged in to an amp? If so are you expected to bring your own "drum amp" or could you share an amp with a band member, or run through a pa or what? Also, what types of cords are used; similar to 'guitar-to-amp' cords or what?

If anyone could explain how this works in a way that someone with ZERO knowledge of such things would understand, I would greatly appreciate it!
Old 03-26-2009, 10:04 PM

Default Re: Help: Using Triggers Live?

REALLY? No one knows? Where did all the experts go, I need you!
Old 03-30-2009, 03:54 AM
Platinum Member

Module is connected to an amp/PA system.

Usually, the PA system, and hopefully, you can hear it back on your monitors (assuming the PA has monitors for the drummer). Some drummers have their own small mixer, so they can run the module out to the PA and to themselves (headphones or small speaker).

And yes, you use regular 1/4"" guitar cables.

DDdrum triggers do use a special XLR type cable, to go from trigger to their module, but most brands of triggers use the 1/4" cables.
Old 03-31-2009, 02:15 PM
Silver Member

In a live setting, most of the time you'll be playing through house PA. I used an alesis d4 trigger module that i had set up through 4 x 1/4 inch sends, my bass in 1, snare in 2 and toms in a stereo field through 3 and 4. I made sure to bring 1/4" to xlr adapter though , in case the soundguy couldn't go balanced TS cable all the way back to the board. Many places are already wired with drum mics running to a stage snake soi would just get the soundguy to unplug the mics and run the mic cables right into my module, via the converters (or a direct box). The alternative to plugging into a PA is gettng an amp for your module, i recommend a keyboard amp for this or a bass combo amp with like a 15" woofer (or 18) and a bullet tweeter or 3 way speaker.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:10 PM

Thanks for the help, guys. One more question, should you let the sound guy know beforehand that you plan to use triggers? Or do you just tell them while sound checking.
Old 04-07-2009, 05:19 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanexplosion View Post
Thanks for the help, guys. One more question, should you let the sound guy know beforehand that you plan to use triggers? Or do you just tell them while sound checking.

Let him know asap. some soundguys are just egotistical jerks who won't let you do your thing if it's any inconvenience for them. you should have a backup plan if this happens
Old 04-07-2009, 05:24 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanexplosion View Post
Yes, because they'll need to take in account the output of your sound module.

Which means they need to make sure they have open channels on their board, and may or may not need to run your outputs into direct boxes.
Old 04-11-2009, 12:49 AM

Speaking of triggers, there's one thing that I'm a bit confused about (since I haven't played with triggers yet): the issue with the dynamics, that makes many people call triggering 'cheating'. I mean, is there an actual way to set how dynamic your triggers are, from the module or anything? Can you choose how much of the dynamic differences between your strokes will get to the audience's ears? Because any good trigger does normally sense how hard you have hit the drum and the sound it produces will correspond to that. Is there a way that you can purposely go for 'no dynamics' or 'almost no dynamics' when your kit is triggered? Or you simply raise the volume up and don't hit hard at all anymore, if you want soft, fast strokes to be heard harder?
Old 04-11-2009, 01:45 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I'm trying to figure out how this whole thing works before I waste money through trial and error,
If you know nothing about them why do you feel you need them?

Quote:
If anyone could explain how this works in a way that someone with ZERO knowledge of such things would understand, I would greatly appreciate it!
You can read my guide here
http://www.drum.com.au/lessons/jan06.pdf
Old 04-11-2009, 05:44 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sssssssss View Post
Speaking of triggers, there's one thing that I'm a bit confused about (since I haven't played with triggers yet): the issue with the dynamics, that makes many people call triggering 'cheating'. I mean, is there an actual way to set how dynamic your triggers are, from the module or anything? Can you choose how much of the dynamic differences between your strokes will get to the audience's ears? Because any good trigger does normally sense how hard you have hit the drum and the sound it produces will correspond to that. Is there a way that you can purposely go for 'no dynamics' or 'almost no dynamics' when your kit is triggered? Or you simply raise the volume up and don't hit hard at all anymore, if you want soft, fast strokes to be heard harder?

That's exactly the point of using triggers. It has more to do with the module itself than the trigger and the module's adjustibility. Through different parameters, you can adjust sensitivity of the triggers and how much gain you assign to them. For example, I play very light indeed when i'm doing a blast beat on bass drums at top speed but i assign the gain to near maximum so that even the slightest hit will produce a powerful signal that tells the module to play a consistent, powerful stroke. The result is a very consistent, gated, compressed and loud bass note that sounds monstrous. Is it cheating? This is music, not sports. On the other hand, i can adjust it so that lighter strokes will produce lighter samples and heavier strokes will get louder. It takes a while to tweak your settings, but generally, you don't have to adjust them between gigs. It makes soundcheck a snap.

Last edited by diosdude; 04-14-2009 at 09:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-11-2009, 05:56 PM

I prefer internal micing...
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 BD test.mp3 (290.2 KB, 344 views)