DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 03-22-2009, 02:29 AM
jondrumming's Avatar
jondrumming jondrumming is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 314
Default 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

Let me start off by saying I am now in a metal band, and I NEED a 7/8 piece kit. Please do not do what some of you did in my previous thread and start rambling on about how I should get higher quality drums in a 4/5 piece kit. By the way, the difference between the 7 and 8 would be the bass drum, not the toms.

Ideal configuration for this kit would be:

*Brand/line unknown*

8" tom
10" tom
12" tom
14" floor
16" floor
22" bass drum(s)
14" snare

Zildjian A Customs:

16" Crash
17" Crash*
18" Crash
19" Crash*
14" Hi Hats
20" Ride
10" Splash

Zildjian Z Customs:

18" China
20" China

Hardware:

Pearl ICON 3-Sided Straight Rack
Roc 'n Soc Nitro Throne
Tama Iron Cobra Lever Glide Hi Hat Stand
Trick Big Foot Pedals


I've got the cymbals and hardware decided already, though the configuration for the cymbals may change a bit. What I need help on is what 7 or 8 piece shell pack is the best for under $1500. So far, I've seen:

Pearl Joey Jordison Signature
PDP X7
Taye Pro-X
ddrum Defiant
Tama Rockstar


*Yet to be decided


Of the shell packs listed, which is the best? And what other 7 or 8 piece shell packs do any of you know sound great, last long, look good/cool, and are under $1500?

As a side note, the price of the shell pack can be a bit over $1500, like $1600 or $1700.

As another side note, I am also looking for the best snare drum under $200.

Thanks!
__________________
My Kit

Last edited by jondrumming; 03-23-2009 at 02:24 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-22-2009, 02:39 AM
lewisn27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

Pdp x7's are really good.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-22-2009, 03:19 AM
drummydude drummydude is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 140
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

I have that configuration for sale right now. PDP CX series. (If you're in the SC area) They're listed on craigslist. http://greenville.craigslist.org:80/msg/1084938360.html If you are in the area, PM me if interested. I've played some X7 kits and honestly I like the CX series better. Not just saying that because I'm selling a CX. I could care less if they sell or don't. Just making room because I have 3 drum kits now. I truly think these sounded better than the X7's. But the X7's are great for the $$$. No question.

But of the kits you listed I think I would look real hard at the DDrum. These seem like pretty nice drums. Also, have you considered Yamaha Stage Customs? Birch shells, nice sound, killer hardware, and in your price range. Worth a look.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-22-2009, 03:26 AM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

To be honest i think we're actually just interested as to how long it will be before you actually buy this kit? You really shouldn't have posted ANOTHER thread just because you don't like the advice that we're giving you that you asked for, not to mention it's in the wrong forum.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-22-2009, 03:30 AM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida's West Coast
Posts: 15,579
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

I'm not a real metal fan but didn't think they would use too may 8 inch toms. Anyway, I had a Taye Pro X set and would highly recommend it.
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Gretsch Renown
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-22-2009, 03:32 AM
drummydude drummydude is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 140
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
To be honest i think we're actually just interested as to how long it will be before you actually buy this kit? You really shouldn't have posted ANOTHER thread just because you don't like the advice that we're giving you that you asked for, not to mention it's in the wrong forum.
Hey.........We are in the wrong place aren't we? Huh. Oh well, I just read his questions and responded.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-22-2009, 03:36 AM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I'm not a real metal fan but didn't think they would use too may 8 inch toms. Anyway, I had a Taye Pro X set and would highly recommend it.
oh yeah, they do. It's just really that you get to a point when the only way to add more toms onto the kit is to do small ones :p. They're also used for accenting and stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-22-2009, 04:18 AM
jondrumming's Avatar
jondrumming jondrumming is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 314
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

Eddie: It's not that I didn't like you guys' advice, it's just that my interests have changed and I didn't want to bring back the old topic because it's kind of irrelevant right now, because I didn't have a band then :P

As for the 8" tom thing, I'm not entirely sure what the norm is for metal drummers, but I read that some have their rack toms in a 10", 12" and 13" configuration. Would that be better for metal?
__________________
My Kit
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-22-2009, 06:04 AM
Evilbagua's Avatar
Evilbagua Evilbagua is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Az
Posts: 563
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

Do you need the kit right away? If not check craigslist I play death metal and use a 4 piece, but i snagged a early 80's Tama Imperialstar 7 piece (6 toms 1 bass) for 200ish bucks a few months ago and they are in great condition.

As far as a snare try and find a Pearl Vinnie Paul snare if your cool with the 14x8 size. I think they are around or under 200$ since they discontinued them. Its my main go to maple snare for metal and sounds great. Anyway hope it helps, and the 20 inch Z Custom china is a beast!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-22-2009, 08:08 AM
Porya Porya is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

Well, are you sure that you're even going to be staying in this metal band for long so that you say you absolutely "NEED" to spend so much money on a 7/8 piece kit?

And then you're looking for a snare under $200. Well, your snare is extremely important in a metal band, and your toms are mainly just for fills. I mean, you can do metal with a 5-piece kit even (10-12-14 or even 8-10-14), since you're going to be using your snare drum and bass drum so much compared to the toms.

When everyone here in your earlier thread was saying that you should get higher quality drums instead of a whole bunch of them, they didn't just say that because they were messing with you. These guys on this forum are very experienced so I wouldn't consider what they say "ramblings" and think of it as respectable advice from experienced drummers.

Get high quality drums with a good sound so they can last and you can play any genre as long as you practice and tune right maybe. It's not the instrument that makes the music, it's the players imo.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-22-2009, 08:41 AM
Infernal Valkyrie's Avatar
Infernal Valkyrie Infernal Valkyrie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 188
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

When playing metal that 14" A custom crash is going to become a splash. They're great sounding crashes, but the smaller ones won't cut through enough. Not at a show at least.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-22-2009, 01:50 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porya View Post
Well, are you sure that you're even going to be staying in this metal band for long so that you say you absolutely "NEED" to spend so much money on a 7/8 piece kit?

And then you're looking for a snare under $200. Well, your snare is extremely important in a metal band, and your toms are mainly just for fills. I mean, you can do metal with a 5-piece kit even (10-12-14 or even 8-10-14), since you're going to be using your snare drum and bass drum so much compared to the toms.

When everyone here in your earlier thread was saying that you should get higher quality drums instead of a whole bunch of them, they didn't just say that because they were messing with you. These guys on this forum are very experienced so I wouldn't consider what they say "ramblings" and think of it as respectable advice from experienced drummers.

Get high quality drums with a good sound so they can last and you can play any genre as long as you practice and tune right maybe. It's not the instrument that makes the music, it's the players imo.
yeah exactly. You don't need a big kit to play metal music. I don't. A 5 or maybe a 6 piece kit will do just fine. Nobody is going to say "hey we don't want you in our band because your kit isn't big enough." However my point is that when are you actually going to GET the thing? Because NO band is gonna want you if you don't actually HAVE a drumkit! Also don't bother with so many cymbals either, you seriously don't need 2 chinas right now and as IV said the 14 crash won't sound very good anyway so don't bother with them and spend that extra money on a better snare drum.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 03-22-2009, 08:19 PM
genericdrummingusername's Avatar
genericdrummingusername genericdrummingusername is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Post-Industrial Hick wasteland.
Posts: 413
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

I love playing in 7/8!


And, err, I recommend the X7.
__________________
I also play Bass.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 03-22-2009, 09:20 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericdrummingusername View Post
I love playing in 7/8!


And, err, I recommend the X7.
haha yeah i was gonna say.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 03-22-2009, 09:39 PM
diosdude's Avatar
diosdude diosdude is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 951
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

For the criteria you stated, this is the best new 7-piece kit you can buy, $1270 shipped to your front door:

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...Set?sku=490431

If you'e doing metal, I'd say take no prisoners go with the 24" bass drums

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...Set?sku=490434

Ddrum AMX kits definitely fit the bill: maple shells with an outer veneer of highly figured ash, stained and lacquer finished, they are stunning in person.

Rims style isolation mounts
shallow depth toms for fast attack
extra long (20" deep) VIRGIN bass drums that are just monstrous
snare beds, standard
DIE CAST hoops on all toms+ snare

for all of those features, these kits blow away anything else in their price range, look and sound awesome. So that's 1270 shipped to your door plus $130-140 to add on the 8" tom:

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...Tom?sku=449396

Grand total for the 8 pc kit in your desired configuration= $1400-1410

The only drawback to the kit is factory heads that aren't very good. New heads will make the kit sound like a $4000 kit.
__________________
I don't want to work, I just want to bang on the drums all day!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 03-23-2009, 02:23 AM
jondrumming's Avatar
jondrumming jondrumming is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 314
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

Okay, here's the deal:

To everyone saying that I don't NEED a 7 or 8 piece kit, did you ever consider that maybe I posted here for advice about a 7/8 piece kit because I actually want to purchase a 7/8 piece kit? Please stop trying to sway me, because I'm not changing my mind about that. Call me closed minded, but if you have suggestions about a 7/8 piece kit, please share. If you're just going to laugh at/insult me for bad choices on too many drums, cymbals, etc., then please keep it to yourself.

On a more positive note, I agree with you all about the 14" A Custom Crash sounding like a splash, I have revised the future setup, replacing the 14" with a 17"/19" (yet to be decided).

I also agree with you all about the importance of the snare, I forgot again :P. So, I'll probably go with some more affordable pedals, and not the Tricks, because with another $200 or so saved from the pedals, I could get a $400 snare!

Oh, speaking of the pedals, I saw on the DW website longboard DW 8000s, does anyone know anything about these? Price, etc.?
__________________
My Kit
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-23-2009, 02:25 AM
genericdrummingusername's Avatar
genericdrummingusername genericdrummingusername is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Post-Industrial Hick wasteland.
Posts: 413
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrumming View Post
Okay, here's the deal:

To everyone saying that I don't NEED a 7 or 8 piece kit, did you ever consider that maybe I posted here for advice about a 7/8 piece kit because I actually want to purchase a 7/8 piece kit? Please stop trying to sway me, because I'm not changing my mind about that. Call me closed minded, but if you have suggestions about a 7/8 piece kit, please share. If you're just going to laugh at/insult me for bad choices on too many drums, cymbals, etc., then please keep it to yourself.

On a more positive note, I agree with you all about the 14" A Custom Crash sounding like a splash, I have revised the future setup, replacing the 14" with a 17"/19" (yet to be decided).

I also agree with you all about the importance of the snare, I forgot again :P. So, I'll probably go with some more affordable pedals, and not the Tricks, because with another $200 or so saved from the pedals, I could get a $400 snare!

Oh, speaking of the pedals, I saw on the DW website longboard DW 8000s, does anyone know anything about these? Price, etc.?
You'd be better off on a 3-piece RAWR!
__________________
I also play Bass.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-23-2009, 05:58 AM
mrchattr's Avatar
mrchattr mrchattr is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Mechanicsburg, PA
Posts: 1,439
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrumming View Post
Okay, here's the deal:

To everyone saying that I don't NEED a 7 or 8 piece kit, did you ever consider that maybe I posted here for advice about a 7/8 piece kit because I actually want to purchase a 7/8 piece kit? Please stop trying to sway me, because I'm not changing my mind about that. Call me closed minded, but if you have suggestions about a 7/8 piece kit, please share. If you're just going to laugh at/insult me for bad choices on too many drums, cymbals, etc., then please keep it to yourself.

On a more positive note, I agree with you all about the 14" A Custom Crash sounding like a splash, I have revised the future setup, replacing the 14" with a 17"/19" (yet to be decided).

I also agree with you all about the importance of the snare, I forgot again :P. So, I'll probably go with some more affordable pedals, and not the Tricks, because with another $200 or so saved from the pedals, I could get a $400 snare!

Oh, speaking of the pedals, I saw on the DW website longboard DW 8000s, does anyone know anything about these? Price, etc.?
Why do you insist on having toms on your kit? Just snare and bass is all you need! Hahaha.

Seriously, you should look for used drums, if that hasn't been drilled into your head yet. You could get some amazing deals on used kits for the price you are talking about. Then you would have a 7 or 8 piece kit of a higher quality than any that you listed.
__________________
Saluda Cymbals Endorser
Silver Fox Endorser

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-23-2009, 06:16 AM
jondrumming's Avatar
jondrumming jondrumming is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 314
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

mrchattr, that's actually a great idea, I'll be sure to check out craigslist and eBay.

Oh, by the way, for anyone who's wondering, since this kit will be cheaper than what I was planning to buy in the last thread, I should have enough to make the purchase(s) by... probably between the middle and end of summer. My birthday is in August, so hopefully my parents will meet me halfway ;)
__________________
My Kit
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Infernal Valkyrie's Avatar
Infernal Valkyrie Infernal Valkyrie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 188
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

Ask the stores if they have any old stock lying around, I've seen some maple kits come down in price because they sit in the store too long. It may cost a bit more than something on craigslist but in most cases you're the first owner. That happened to me a month ago, I found out they had a 6 piece starclassic set at the store. Normally I couldn't afford it, but it was old stock so they took 20% off. Which is great because I would've only been able to afford a 4 piece of something new.

Craigslist and ebay is a great idea too, I agree. Buying something brand new at full price should be viewed as a last resort lol.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-23-2009, 05:02 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrumming View Post
To everyone saying that I don't NEED a 7 or 8 piece kit, did you ever consider that maybe I posted here for advice about a 7/8 piece kit because I actually want to purchase a 7/8 piece kit? Please stop trying to sway me, because I'm not changing my mind about that. Call me closed minded, but if you have suggestions about a 7/8 piece kit, please share. If you're just going to laugh at/insult me for bad choices on too many drums, cymbals, etc., then please keep it to yourself.
Nobody is laughing at you/insulting you. I just really don't even see the point in you posting a thread (in the wrong forum) asking us for advice because you clearly already know what you want. Why should we spend our time reccomending a decent kit that will last you a long time (which you supposedly want) if you're just gonna throw it back in our faces and get the biggest shiniest kit that you can find with about 10 cymbals that you don't need and you won't even use? So i reckon you should just stop asking for advice and get your silly kit but don't say i didn't warn you because in a year from now you're gonna be sick of the thing and all your shiny bronze will be cracked and sound terrible.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-23-2009, 05:46 PM
jondrumming's Avatar
jondrumming jondrumming is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 314
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
Nobody is laughing at you/insulting you. I just really don't even see the point in you posting a thread (in the wrong forum) asking us for advice because you clearly already know what you want. Why should we spend our time reccomending a decent kit that will last you a long time (which you supposedly want) if you're just gonna throw it back in our faces and get the biggest shiniest kit that you can find with about 10 cymbals that you don't need and you won't even use? So i reckon you should just stop asking for advice and get your silly kit but don't say i didn't warn you because in a year from now you're gonna be sick of the thing and all your shiny bronze will be cracked and sound terrible.
Ok, here's the truth. I'm not a pro. I'm nowhere NEAR being a pro. I don't WANT a fantastic set of drums that will last a lifetime right now, because I'll buy that later when I have a well-paying job. So forget about this thread if you don't want to help.

What I do want is a drum kit that will match the style of playing that a metal drummer uses/has. One of my drumming idols is Joey Jordison, and he uses 6 toms. God knows how many cymbals he has, but I bet he uses them all. So if I'm aspiring to be like him skill-wise, could you please at least show a little support for that?

I don't even need A Customs, Trick pedals, or Pearl ICON racks, I'd be fine with Sabian B8s, PDP 402s, and no rack at all.

Now, that's not what I had in mind, what I'm probably going to end up purchasing in terms of gear other than the drums themselves is:

Paiste Black Alpha:

14" Hi Hats
17" Crash
18" Crash
19" Crash
20" Ride
18" China
10" Splash

Hardware:

Iron Cobra Flexi-Glide Single (2)
Pearl DR-80 rack

Judging from what I've seen, I'm pretty sure a bunch of you will immediately be looking down at me, thinking "psshh, that'll last him a few months, tops". As I said, I am not a pro, I do not have a well-paying job, and because of that I do not have very much money at my disposal. I'd rather get an intermediate kit now and be happy with that until I can afford a great one than save up for a great kit all through high school and miss out on drumming on a real kit (I have a Yamaha DTXTreme IIs).
__________________
My Kit
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Crazy+Hands's Avatar
Crazy+Hands Crazy+Hands is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 179
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

If your serious about playing metal, save your money for good pedals like Axis longboards/pearl demon drive/trick dominator, etc. They will last forever and its well worth the cost. I have no idea how long you've been playing or what your goals are other than Joey Jordison worship. Nothing wrong with that. Same goes for saving money and buying a good rack like the ICON, its a life time investment. The old school racks probably would too but they aren't as flexible/user friendly i think. Who cares if you buy the cheapest kit when you have badass pedals and hardware that will last until you get your dream kit? You could always just trigger your drums if you really hate the sound, but hold off on that for awhile until your certain that's what you want to do.

If you go with two bass drums, its going to be harder to adapt to playing a double pedal if you want or have to. The slave pedal deal takes some getting used to, ive only ever played 2 kicks and I can't play a double pedal nearly as good as 2 singles. You kinda have to choose one and stay with it. I tried scaling down to a double pedal last year with disappointing results.

Be really sure you want those black cymbals, That finish is sketchy. Look into Meinl MB8s or MB10s, those are really good quality for beginner/intermediate cymbals. Just a suggestion.

Also be prepared to lug all of your gear around with you, Ive got used to moving a 7 piece after gigging monthly for the past 2 1/2 years...everything I use (ICON rack, 2 bass drums, 2 big floor toms, 2 rack toms, pedal case, 2 snare drums, road case full of cymbal arms, two cymbal bags) completely fills my 94 explorer up to the passenger seat. Just know what your getting yourself into...your back is going to hate you, and you won't be able to interact with people as much at shows because you'll be spending 30-45 or more mins before and after your set dealing with your kit. I'm not trying to turn you away from the big kit thing, its completely worthwhile but not without its challenges and limitations.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-23-2009, 06:49 PM
jondrumming's Avatar
jondrumming jondrumming is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 314
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

Crazy+Hands, that's the best reply I've gotten so far :)

Lol you pretty much told me everything I needed to know, I especially like your 2 bass drum/double pedal point. Right now, I'm playing on a double pedal on my DTXTreme IIs, so if I alternate between the two, do you think it would be a good compromise?

Oh yeah, I've been playing for around 6 1/2 years, mostly rock/jazz/metal, but now metal dominates what I play, and I've gotten better at blast beats, double bass, etc.

Those are also good points about the ICON rack, and Axis, Trick, and Demon Drive pedals, that's actually a really good idea, because those brands are pretty much the only ones that make longboards, and I always play with heel-toe, which can get pretty tricky on shortboard pedals.

I'll also reconsider the black cymbals, they sort of look to me as if the coating will chip away pretty fast, especially when being hit hard and fast by metal drumming...

Thanks so much, though, your answer helped a LOT :)
__________________
My Kit
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-23-2009, 08:03 PM
Crazy+Hands's Avatar
Crazy+Hands Crazy+Hands is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 179
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

Yes it would be helpful to alternate between double and single pedals, but I'm a firm believer that your technique (aside from full leg motion, that's pretty universal) adapts to the pedal and their setting, not vice versa. A lot of drummers say if you can tap it out on the floor then you can play on anything, but this is really a gross oversight from what I can based on my nearly 10 years experience.
I still have so much to learn...

You would benefit from choosing one or the other and staying with it for the long haul i think. They are considerably different situations, both in sound and in technique to a degree...pretty much double bass drums slay all double pedals in most respects, but its more difficult for soundguys to get them eq'd right. However, most extreme metal sound engineers acutally prefer 2 kicks because they can EQ each drum individually...its also much more reliable to trigger two kicks instead of one, just think about the physics of that...however, axis ekits pretty much solve that issue altogether. If you plan on triggering your kick drums, the axis owns all...The ekit triggering mechanism goes off a secondary beater on the pedal instead of the pulsation of the drumhead...far superior design that virtually eliminates double triggering issues inherint in ALL acoustic drum triggers.

Also don't forget cases...if you ever want to move a big kit with two kicks you gotta have them...I'd recommend Humes and berg enduro cases w/o foam. Relatively cheap and very sturdy. You can always add foam where you need it when necessary. don't waste your money on bags because its not worth it if you want to progress in your drumming.

If you invest in any of those nice pedals, a case is a must...you can usually make one by epoxing a wood/plastic/metal/etc divider in a square 6.5x14 snare drum case. add some foam rubber and you're good...you just have to remove the beaters each time your moving your kit. Or you can throw down 80-90$ for a custom made one...you never want to throw those pedals around in a case with other hardware.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-23-2009, 08:24 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrumming View Post
Ok, here's the truth. I'm not a pro. I'm nowhere NEAR being a pro. I don't WANT a fantastic set of drums that will last a lifetime right now, because I'll buy that later when I have a well-paying job. So forget about this thread if you don't want to help.
But this is the thing, i do want to help. It just seems like you don't want anyone to help you. I didn't say all this to be mean, i'm just telling you how it is. I know how it feels to want to just get the shiniest nicest looking thing in the shop. This is my point because i get the feeling that you're probably going to want the thing that you like the look of best no matter what anyone tells you. The other thing i know exactly how you feel is that you want to buy thousands and thousands of $ worth of stuff even though you have no idea how you're going to pay for it. Trust me, i know how this feels. I have spreadsheets of stuff i'm "going to buy" which total ridiculous sums of money like 20,000. There's no way i'll ever be able to afford that much stuff but i want it anyway. So when you are looking for this stuff, do try to keep a realistic budget as i get the feeling you were never going to be able to spend $3 grand in the first place. Get whatever kit you want but i just want to make sure you realise that it's not a professional kit and it's not going to last you ages which you seem to do, so that's good :).

Also if you use a double pedal as it is, probably best to stick with it. You'll just end up being confused if you start playing 2 BDs and a DB pedal.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-23-2009, 09:35 PM
joshisaces's Avatar
joshisaces joshisaces is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pensacola, Fl
Posts: 1,221
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrumming View Post
Okay, here's the deal:

To everyone saying that I don't NEED a 7 or 8 piece kit, did you ever consider that maybe I posted here for advice about a 7/8 piece kit because I actually want to purchase a 7/8 piece kit? Please stop trying to sway me, because I'm not changing my mind about that. Call me closed minded, but if you have suggestions about a 7/8 piece kit, please share. If you're just going to laugh at/insult me for bad choices on too many drums, cymbals, etc., then please keep it to yourself.

On a more positive note, I agree with you all about the 14" A Custom Crash sounding like a splash, I have revised the future setup, replacing the 14" with a 17"/19" (yet to be decided).

I also agree with you all about the importance of the snare, I forgot again :P. So, I'll probably go with some more affordable pedals, and not the Tricks, because with another $200 or so saved from the pedals, I could get a $400 snare!

Oh, speaking of the pedals, I saw on the DW website longboard DW 8000s, does anyone know anything about these? Price, etc.?
This is such a joke! You're not dreaming! You can't just say, "I want 28 crashes, a rack system, 14 toms, and all dw 9000 hardware" without actually having any money. The people that recommended the smaller configurations didn't have to help you at all. I'm sure you haven't had ANY experience with gigging because most stages at bars/venues can't fit a 8 piece kit with 2 bass drums.

Like I said before, this isn't a fantasy kit-builder. How much money do you actually have? If you even have any...
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-23-2009, 09:47 PM
Crazy+Hands's Avatar
Crazy+Hands Crazy+Hands is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 179
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

one last thing: its not the 70s anymore, and people really look down on drummers that lug a bunch of gear on stage that they barely use...If your going with a big kit, use EVERY bit of it as much as possible. Its really easy to let your gear work against you, not for you...extra toms and cymbals mean more physical labor to get the kit set up, which usually means slightly less energy for your set. I've had this problem before, you spend 30 mins (fast for a 7 peice w/rack) setting up, and two minutes warming up=mediocre performance. You do the math....theres a reason why so many drummers only use a 5 or 6 pc
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 03-23-2009, 10:28 PM
diosdude's Avatar
diosdude diosdude is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 951
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

Geez, people, give the kid a break for pete's sake and stop being such hammerheads. Kid wants a monster metal kit on a budget so make some suggestions. I don't see any of you guys trying to push a pdp x7 on some guy that is torn between a gretsch renown or a Pearl reference so why is everybody being a hammerhead and trying to push jazz kits on this guy that obviously wants to play metal. You guys really think a gretsch catalina jazz kit is going to stand up to a death metal assault? No, it's going to sound pretty weak. Is there a good chance that a someone in a metal band is going to abuse the kit by pounding on it and lugging it around to smokey biker bars? I think so. So again make suggestions for HIS kit, not YOURS or don't post any suggestions at all. All far as Black paiste's are concerned, i have no idea how they color them so before you "reconsider" them, you should research them. Are they just coated? Is the coloring in the alloy? Does the coloring chip off? Hey if your dream is to have a visual impact like Joey Jordison's i say go for it. I used to fit my entire 8 pc, double bass pearl export with 4power (square) rack toms and a 18" floor tom with my double tier gibraltar cage and 8 cymbals all crammed in my '93 honda civic hatchback so don't let the car thing sway your decision unless you're driving a mazda miata or a smart for two. Playing a double pedal does take some adjustment but many pedals are highly adjustible so that the action is very close and the action on the Trick dominator feels just like you're playing 2 singles. i have my 8 pc, single bass with 6 toms and 8 cymbals set up on stage on its rack in 7-8 minutes, less time than my bassist and guitarist need to wire up their amps and pedals. Some guys just set up their whole rack on the side of the stage and get 1 or 2 people to help them carry the whole thing on stage and those guys are set up in 4-5 minutes. It's all how much prep you do before you take the stage. The downside though is expect no one to help you carry your stuff back and forth to the car so make plans accordingly.

here's some good deals on ebay if you're ready to buy right now:


http://cgi.ebay.com/DDRUM-DEFIANT-6-...3A1%7C294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com/11pc-Pearl-Expor...3A1%7C294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com/LUDWIG-Element-W...3A1%7C294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com/TAMA-Imperialsta...3A1%7C294%3A50

http://cgi.ebay.com/TAMA-Superstar-A...3A1%7C294%3A50
__________________
I don't want to work, I just want to bang on the drums all day!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 03-23-2009, 10:36 PM
wloeb wloeb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 493
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

I realized when participating in the last thread that It was a complete waste of time. As is this one.


Quote:
Originally Posted by joshisaces View Post
This is such a joke! You're not dreaming! You can't just say, "I want 28 crashes, a rack system, 14 toms, and all dw 9000 hardware" without actually having any money. The people that recommended the smaller configurations didn't have to help you at all. I'm sure you haven't had ANY experience with gigging because most stages at bars/venues can't fit a 8 piece kit with 2 bass drums.

Like I said before, this isn't a fantasy kit-builder. How much money do you actually have? If you even have any...
__________________
My recording experiment:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=40247
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 03-23-2009, 10:46 PM
genericdrummingusername's Avatar
genericdrummingusername genericdrummingusername is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Post-Industrial Hick wasteland.
Posts: 413
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

I say you get your X7, mid line Piastes, B.O.A. pedals, and one of these. http://www.pacificdrums.com/snares/Ace-6x14.html

Great value all around. A second BD is largely superfluous, especially gigging, and with a good double pedal. Good pedals will make you sound better on lesser drums, to an extent, VS. playing a Kurrilian Birch collector's kit with a PDP 402.
__________________
I also play Bass.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 03-23-2009, 10:49 PM
diosdude's Avatar
diosdude diosdude is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 951
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wloeb View Post
I realized when participating in the last thread that It was a complete waste of time. As is this one.

Is it a waste of time to use your years of experience to guide younger, inexperienced drummers? For him to say a 7/8 pc double bass kit is what he needs for his metal band sounds absolutely reasonable to me, if that's the drummer he wants to be. Drummerworld should be about encouragement, not discouragement. Now if he were saying he wanted the Joey Jordison knock off kit to play in his Beatles or Chick Correa tribute band, I'd definitely want to try to talk some sense into him.
__________________
I don't want to work, I just want to bang on the drums all day!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 03-23-2009, 10:58 PM
hateplow's Avatar
hateplow hateplow is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 994
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

This is a very amusing thread.

I would go with a Tama Superstar. Jason Bittner toured with one and it actually sounded pretty decent.

On a related note - A good metal drummer on a 5 piece kit can make it sound much bigger than it actually is.
__________________

Noble & Cooley Horizon Reissue, Craviotto Solid Maple 4-Piece
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 03-23-2009, 11:20 PM
DrewTheShoe's Avatar
DrewTheShoe DrewTheShoe is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Central Virginia
Posts: 309
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

I (an avid less-is-more advocate) am not trying to quell anyone's hopes, but just think about one thing before throwing all your money into this basket:

Just because the messiah Joey Jordison uses 8 toms, does that mean that YOU are?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 03-23-2009, 11:50 PM
wloeb wloeb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 493
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
Is it a waste of time to use your years of experience to guide younger, inexperienced drummers? For him to say a 7/8 pc double bass kit is what he needs for his metal band sounds absolutely reasonable to me, if that's the drummer he wants to be. Drummerworld should be about encouragement, not discouragement. Now if he were saying he wanted the Joey Jordison knock off kit to play in his Beatles or Chick Correa tribute band, I'd definitely want to try to talk some sense into him.

It's a waste of time because although I have tried to offer guidance, it is ignored. The other point is that in the last thread he made it seem like he was buying in the near future so I searched ebay to find the best deals. After some probing it turned out that getting the kit was contingent on saving money and saving money was contingent on getting a job and his sister knew someone who may be able to get him a job.

See : "Buying a new Kit soon":
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=46077
and
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=47246

"BTW John, when do you plan on purchasing this kit?

I'll have to think about the quantity, although I probably wouldn't be moving it around much, so I wouldn't need cases, and it wouldn't be a hassle. Oh, and as for WHEN, it really depends on when I have saved up enough money. I'm not going to say how much I've saved so far, but I plan on getting a job soon (my sister says she can definitely get me a job at the place she works), so that should speed it up a bit!"

I offered to help when he is really ready to buy, but this is the third thread of daydreaming.

Wayne
__________________
My recording experiment:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=40247
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 03-24-2009, 01:59 AM
frank0072's Avatar
frank0072 frank0072 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,169
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wloeb View Post
It's a waste of time because although I have tried to offer guidance, it is ignored. The other point is that in the last thread he made it seem like he was buying in the near future so I searched ebay to find the best deals. After some probing it turned out that getting the kit was contingent on saving money and saving money was contingent on getting a job and his sister knew someone who may be able to get him a job.

See : "Buying a new Kit soon":
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=46077
and
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=47246

"BTW John, when do you plan on purchasing this kit?

I'll have to think about the quantity, although I probably wouldn't be moving it around much, so I wouldn't need cases, and it wouldn't be a hassle. Oh, and as for WHEN, it really depends on when I have saved up enough money. I'm not going to say how much I've saved so far, but I plan on getting a job soon (my sister says she can definitely get me a job at the place she works), so that should speed it up a bit!"

I offered to help when he is really ready to buy, but this is the third thread of daydreaming.

Wayne
It's quite hilarious when you put it all in perspective actually. Great, now I can sleep peacefully.

keep on dreaming everyone :-).
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 03-24-2009, 02:02 AM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

What 12 Piece kit do you guys recommend? I don't feel right if I spend under $8k for it. I NEED this kit because I am working on becoming a shallow egomaniac. And don't give me any of that "A 6 piece Sonor ebony signature kit is good enough" crap. I plan on being REALLY uppity about it when I buy it. I will keep making threads about it until I get the answer I like.

Thanks!

Last edited by trkdrmr; 03-24-2009 at 02:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 03-24-2009, 02:17 AM
jondrumming's Avatar
jondrumming jondrumming is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 314
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

You guys are hilarious. Seriously. A guy joins a forum to get suggestions about a 7 or 8 piece drum kit. Nothing could be more simple, right? But no, you guys (with the exception of Crazy+Hands and diosdude) had to be jerks about it and start making little jokes and taking shots at me for wanting to play metal on a metal sized drum kit. Thinking "haha this kid is an idiot", when really, you are the ones who are acting like children.

Thanks for the laughs, everyone, you won't be seeing me around here anymore.
__________________
My Kit
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 03-24-2009, 02:21 AM
wloeb wloeb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 493
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrumming View Post
You guys are hilarious. Seriously. A guy joins a forum to get suggestions about a 7 or 8 piece drum kit. Nothing could be more simple, right? But no, you guys (with the exception of Crazy+Hands and diosdude) had to be jerks about it and start making little jokes and taking shots at me for wanting to play metal on a metal sized drum kit. Thinking "haha this kid is an idiot", when really, you are the ones who are acting like children.

Thanks for the laughs, everyone, you won't be seeing me around here anymore.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll ?
__________________
My recording experiment:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=40247
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 03-24-2009, 02:30 AM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 7/8 Piece Kit Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrumming View Post
You guys are hilarious. Seriously. A guy joins a forum to get suggestions about a 7 or 8 piece drum kit. Nothing could be more simple, right? But no, you guys (with the exception of Crazy+Hands and diosdude) had to be jerks about it and start making little jokes and taking shots at me for wanting to play metal on a metal sized drum kit. Thinking "haha this kid is an idiot", when really, you are the ones who are acting like children.

Thanks for the laughs, everyone, you won't be seeing me around here anymore.
If you act like a joke or a troll, you get treated like one. Wloeb pointed out the obvious childish way you are playing this game.

Technically what you have done in addition to the aforementioned blowing off good suggestions, you have broken forum rules by posting 3 threads on the same subject.

Let's us know what eventually suited your discriminating taste when you get it. I am sure the forum will still be here in 2011.

Last edited by trkdrmr; 03-24-2009 at 11:13 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 02:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com