DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 03-21-2009, 11:52 PM
Silver Member

Default Not that anyone would care...

...but I'm going to get to go to see the JONAS BROTHERS!!! I love them!! They are very talented for their age and easy on the eyes. haha.

If you're going to post negatively (which I'm sure is going to happen) about the Jonas Brothers, at least do it intelligently. Don't say "teh jonas bruthers sux." How would you like it if I said "milez daviz sux"? Not that I would because Miles Davis is very good.

"Closed mindedness about music is the death of the musician." - me
Old 03-22-2009, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Not that anyone would care...

Um. I have no opinion about the Jonas Brothers. Have fun!
Old 03-22-2009, 03:46 AM
Silver Member

Teh jonas brothers sux. Heh, Jk...

What music do you typically listen to, like, is this usually what you're into? And I'm not being offensive when I ask this, I'm curious.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:49 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLittle123 View Post
Teh jonas brothers sux. Heh, Jk...

What music do you typically listen to, like, is this usually what you're into? And I'm not being offensive when I ask this, I'm curious.
I listen to just about everything. classical, metal, punk, alternative, rock, pop, jazz, blues, funk. Rock, pop, metal, and alternative is what I listen mostly to. I'm not a big fan of country and rap/hip hop, but I can tolerate it in small doses.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:02 AM
Silver Member

You singled out rap and country, how sad.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:09 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
You singled out rap and country, how sad.
was that sarcasm? I didn't say I hated rap and country. I can just listen to it for only a few minutes at a time.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:14 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummerchick435 View Post
was that sarcasm? I didn't say I hated rap and country. I can just listen to it for only a few minutes at a time.

I'm good at sarcasm but noooo way, I understand though, most people say that. Kanye West is an amazing man, so is Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson. People that I think everyone should have a bit of in them, haha, that's just my opinion though. I know everyone'll disagree with the Kanye West part, buuuut the Jonas Brother's, people are willing to shut them down because of how popular they are. I'm not a fan, buuut, they've played a role in this generation. Just like Hannah Montana who is spanning both tv aaand music like them jonas people.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:20 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
I'm good at sarcasm but noooo way, I understand though, most people say that. Kanye West is an amazing man, so is Johnny Cash and Willie Nelson. People that I think everyone should have a bit of in them, haha, that's just my opinion though. I know everyone'll disagree with the Kanye West part, buuuut the Jonas Brother's, people are willing to shut them down because of how popular they are. I'm not a fan, buuut, they've played a role in this generation.
You know. The funny thing is that I'm going to college at Belmont (music business major) in Nashville in the fall. That place oozes with country! Maybe I'll gain more appreciation for country while I'm there.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:27 AM

I'm not a big fan of the Jonas brothers...not at all actually but I'm not bashing on you or your music at all when i say this. it's just my honest opinion.

I don't like how they completely over did the pop in all the Beatles songs..like the ones in the target commercials, and don't rightly deserve being called the next Beatles when they lack the musical side of the fabulous 4 but have almost mastered the marketing side of the industry...the way i see it all in a whole is this bottom line:

They're better at marketing themselves than playing their instruments, and are giving more credit then what they deserve(in the music view of things). I wouldn't call them a legend but I'd call them entrepreneurs

but have fun at the concert if you enjoy their music.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarodMaybern View Post
I'm not a big fan of the Jonas brothers...not at all actually but I'm not bashing on you or your music at all when i say this. it's just my honest opinion.

I don't like how they completely over did the pop in all the Beatles songs..like the ones in the target commercials, and don't rightly deserve being called the next Beatles when they lack the musical side of the fabulous 4 but have almost mastered the marketing side of the industry...the way i see it all in a whole is this bottom line:

They're better at marketing themselves than playing their instruments, and are giving more credit then what they deserve(in the music view of things). I wouldn't call them a legend but I'd call them entrepreneurs

but have fun at the concert if you enjoy their music.

WHOA WHOA WHOA! Did someone call them the next beatles? Whoa.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarodMaybern View Post
i'm not a big fan of the jonas brothers...not at all actually but i'm not bashing on you or your music at all when i say this. it's just my honest opinion.

but i think they have become nothing but machines, they've become disney power houses and the media is loving all of their christian goody-good ways. that i have no problem with being christian myself...i just don't like how they completely disney'd out all the beatles songs..like the ones in the target commericals, and don't rightly deserve being called the next beatles when they lack the musical side of the fabulous 4 but have almost mastered the marketing side of the industry...the way i see it all in a whole is this bottom line:

They're better at marketing themselves than playing their instruments, and are giving more credit then what they deserve(in the music view of things).
I respect your opinion about them, and I agree that they're not as good as the Beatles. I also appreciate their Christian views as I am a Christian as well.

Their mom, Denise, said in an interview that their record label is very controlling of their music even though they would love to play different music in addition to the pop/rock music they play.

However, they were not the ones who re-made the Beatles songs. I don't know who it was, but it was someone else.

Anyway, I respect your opinion.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
WHOA WHOA WHOA! Did someone call them the next beatles? Whoa.
Some people have called the band the next Beatles, but mostly they relate the fans to the Beatles' fans. Mostly girls ages 13-25 which is what I believe the Beatles had.

Old 03-22-2009, 04:48 AM

The early Beatles were the first "Jonas Brothers" band. That being said, the Beatles were revolutionary for that, the following chain of boy bands weren't.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I respect your opinion about them, and I agree that they're not as good as the Beatles. I also appreciate their Christian views as I am a Christian as well.
So you're saying you like them because they're the same religion as you? Now i don't mean to be offensive or anything but does that mean you like the KKK and all those racist, anti-semittic homophobes you see on Riki Lake because they call themselves "christian" too? Not trying to be mean but i'm just seriously asking a question.

Anyway i can't say i'm a huge fan of Jonas Brothers but i am glad that at least a lot of pop bands have started picking up the guitar again unlike in the late 90s when it was all just synths and crap like that. I must say i wouldn't mind seeing hannah montanna- and i don't mean at a music show either...
Old 03-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member

DC, the only thing I have to offer here is to be unapologetic about the music you love, and love it for no other reason than for the music itself.

..ok, I'll mind my own business...
Old 03-22-2009, 03:35 PM
Administrator

Politics, religion, and self likes aside, I hope you have a ball and really enjoy the show. Be safe.
Old 03-22-2009, 03:56 PM

Just to be fair. I would go and see them in concert also. They have some good music and so it won't be like listening to a teenage local band that just picked up their instruments. People would prolly analyze me for saying that i would jump at the chance to go see avaril livene in concert. Everyone should have some music that they don't think they will like in their music collection.
-george
Old 03-22-2009, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeman View Post
Just to be fair. I would go and see them in concert also. They have some good music and so it won't be like listening to a teenage local band that just picked up their instruments. People would prolly analyze me for saying that i would jump at the chance to go see avaril livene in concert. Everyone should have some music that they don't think they will like in their music collection.
-george
I know exactly what you mean, Yeah i mean don't get me wrong or anything, I think a bit of pop music is always good, i've got a lot of pop music on my playlist ranging from Rick Astley to Evanescence!
Old 03-22-2009, 04:12 PM

I'm going to go see second hand serenade in the spring and i personally dislike their music. I don't think they live in their instruments as much as other bands or singers such as averal lavine, led zepp, Rush, Most techno songs. This can be heard in the music recordings and the feel they convey. I believe that if the brothers dropped their record label and kept their fans dispite that we could see some very good music coming out of them. Same with hannah montana, and same with (sigh) The backstreet boys and nsync
Old 03-22-2009, 04:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
So you're saying you like them because they're the same religion as you? Now i don't mean to be offensive or anything but does that mean you like the KKK and all those racist, anti-semittic homophobes you see on Riki Lake because they call themselves "christian" too? Not trying to be mean but i'm just seriously asking a question.
Oh no! I'm not saying that at all! If they were atheist, I'd still like them. It's just a nice bonus that they happen to have the same religion I do. I am not (and never will be) racist, anti-Semitic or homophobic. I'm a very loving, open minded person. I love to love.

No offense intended in this post.

Old 03-22-2009, 05:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Oh no! I'm not saying that at all! If they were atheist, I'd still like them. It's just a nice bonus that they happen to have the same religion I do. I am not (and never will be) racist, anti-Semitic or homophobic. I'm a very loving, open minded person. I love to love.

No offense intended in this post.
Well that's good. I guess it was a bit of an unfair question since i don't even think a lot of these people even deserve to call themselves christians.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post

I must say i wouldn't mind seeing hannah montanna- and i don't mean at a music show either...

Wouldn't we all love that wouldn't we all. Sigh...If only.
Old 03-22-2009, 05:48 PM
lewisn27

SCANDAL!!! http://uk.news.yahoo.com/1/20090322/...l-c60bd6d.html
Old 03-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisn27 View Post
Wow what is it with these disney music kids and TTP out of asians?
Old 03-22-2009, 06:32 PM
Pioneer Member

I hope you have fun at the concert. I didn't really know anything about them and then I saw them on Saturday Night Live. The first song they had their (a) drummer behind a plexi screen and he had an awful time, poor guy. He even dropped his sticks at the end of the song.

For the second song, one of the Jonas brothers played drums. I have to say I was impressed. He just went for it and rocked that kit.

I Tivo'ed it and watched it about 5 times. He just nailed it and he sang verses and chorus too.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:34 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
DC, the only thing I have to offer here is to be unapologetic about the music you love, and love it for no other reason than for the music itself.

..ok, I'll mind my own business...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
Politics, religion, and self likes aside, I hope you have a ball and really enjoy the show. Be safe.
Thanks, guys! I'll certainly love my music without being self-conscious or ashamed, and I most definitely will enjoy the show. I hear they put on a good show, and I hope it's true!

Old 03-22-2009, 06:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNW View Post
I hope you have fun at the concert. I didn't really know anything about them and then I saw them on Saturday Night Live. The first song they had their (a) drummer behind a plexi screen and he had an awful time, poor guy. He even dropped his sticks at the end of the song.

For the second song, one of the Jonas brothers played drums. I have to say I was impressed. He just went for it and rocked that kit.

I Tivo'ed it and watched it about 5 times. He just nailed it and he sang verses and chorus too.
Yeah. Their drummer is Jack "Flawless" Lawless. I don't know why he had to be behind plexi glass because most bands on SNL don't. I felt sorry for him.

The Jonas that plays drums is Nick. He's the youngest (16) of the three, and he has type 1 diabetes.

Old 03-22-2009, 11:08 PM
Silver Member

Have fun at Jonas brothers. I don't really care for the product of the Disney Channel, after all, that's what these kind of bands are. To even mention them in the same sentence as the Beatles (or even Avril Lavigne) is absolutely absurd. The Beatles were the original boy-band of rock'n'roll, yes but there were boy bands of the day that were equally huge but fell by the wayside because their music was lame. The beatles stormed through the 60's and early 70's with dozens of chartbusters that were award winning and catchy. Pull any person off the street and i guarantee they are familiar with dozens of their tunes. The Beatles more importantly, just like genuine artists like Avril Lavigne wrote their own music while i bet 90% + of The Jonas Bro's music were written by Professional songwriters. Don't take it personally, but the JB's are just a package. They're big because of their looks and the legions of predominantly teen female fans would not be going to the concerts if they looked like the nerd posse from Superbad. Okay somebody had to say it and I said it. Please don't hate me, the Jonas Brothers do not suck, they are trained professionals doing what they do very well and that's perform poppy tunes that were written for them and also looking good doing it, but they're not artists.
Old 03-22-2009, 11:36 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
but they're not artists.

Ouch. Dios you are right on the former, but regardless of the machine you gotta at least give them their due for putting themselves out there. They are artists; just not what you dig as "artistic". Watch the little one slam on is kit in the SNL appearance (second song) and you'll see what I mean. They're a little lame but they can play.
Old 03-23-2009, 12:22 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTNW View Post
Ouch. Dios you are right on the former, but regardless of the machine you gotta at least give them their due for putting themselves out there. They are artists; just not what you dig as "artistic". Watch the little one slam on is kit in the SNL appearance (second song) and you'll see what I mean. They're a little lame but they can play.

I didn't say they couldn't play. Troll through any high school with 5000 kids and you'll find a couple dozen that are just as proficient playing as those kids. When i was 11 years old i was playing Bonham, Ian Paice, Phil Collins, Keith Moon, etc. No child drummer impresses me short of 8 year old Jakob Armen or 12 year old Tony Roysters Jr.

Here's DW member febby, 18 year old girl. She blows this Jonas away:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=46010

Jonas Brothers CD will be in the "where are they now?" five dollar bin at walmart in 5 years.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Have fun at Jonas brothers. I don't really care for the product of the Disney Channel, after all, that's what these kind of bands are. To even mention them in the same sentence as the Beatles (or even Avril Lavigne) is absolutely absurd. The Beatles were the original boy-band of rock'n'roll, yes but there were boy bands of the day that were equally huge but fell by the wayside because their music was lame. The beatles stormed through the 60's and early 70's with dozens of chartbusters that were award winning and catchy. Pull any person off the street and i guarantee they are familiar with dozens of their tunes. The Beatles more importantly, just like genuine artists like Avril Lavigne wrote their own music while i bet 90% + of The Jonas Bro's music were written by Professional songwriters. Don't take it personally, but the JB's are just a package. They're big because of their looks and the legions of predominantly teen female fans would not be going to the concerts if they looked like the nerd posse from Superbad. Okay somebody had to say it and I said it. Please don't hate me, the Jonas Brothers do not suck, they are trained professionals doing what they do very well and that's perform poppy tunes that were written for them and also looking good doing it, but they're not artists.
I don't take offense at all, however; they do write their own music. They started out how most bands do: playing small club gigs where there's only 10 or so people so I doubt they could afford to hire professional songwriters. They were originally with Columbia Records, but they left Columbia and went to Hollywood Records. Hollywood allows them to write their own music as long as it's in the pop/rock genre and kid-friendly.

Here's a vid talking about how they write their songs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a8WS_qlOK0c

Old 03-23-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
We should start a group: Guys That Like Avril Lavigne And Aren't Afraid To Admit It.

"GTLALAAATAI"
Old 03-23-2009, 01:47 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericdrummingusername View Post
The early Beatles were the first "Jonas Brothers" band. That being said, the Beatles were revolutionary for that, the following chain of boy bands weren't.
"Hansen" was closer to the JB's. MMMM bop and all that other "tween" fluff.

To compare the talent of the Beatles to the JB is absurd. They were never even close.

In the 60's schools in England spent time analyzing Beatles lyrics, as have western schools since. Nothing from the JB's requires that level of scrutiny for deeper meaning.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
"Hansen" was closer to the JB's. MMMM bop and all that other "tween" fluff.

To compare the talent of the Beatles to the JB is absurd. They were never even close.

In the 60's schools in England spent time analyzing Beatles lyrics, as have western schools since. Nothing from the JB's requires that level of scrutiny for deeper meaning.
People don't seem to want to admit this, but The Beatles weren't the greatest musicians.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:11 AM

Quote:
We should start a group: Guys That Like Avril Lavigne And Aren't Afraid To Admit It.

"GTLALAAATAI"
I'm looking forward to being invited to the group. Rofl
Old 03-23-2009, 02:12 AM
Platinum Member

If anyone has anything negative to say about drummerchicks post you better take a look back at your musical taste. I'm sure it's filled with bands you would not admit were influences on your taste.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
If anyone has anything negative to say about drummerchicks post you better take a look back at your musical taste. I'm sure it's filled with bands you would not admit were influences on your taste.
I have to agree completely with your statement. And that music that you don't want to admit is part of your taste can influence it the most. It can explain the bridge the strange gap between Latin and alternative music on my ipod.

I remember i think it was last year that drummerchick435 said about the jb and noone had anything negative to say about them. They had mostly postive things to say.

Last edited by georgeman; 03-23-2009 at 02:20 AM. Reason: don't want to feel like a spamer.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:23 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeman View Post
I have to agree completely with your statement. And that music that you don't want to admit is part of your taste can influence it the most. It can explain the bridge the strange gap between Latin and alternative music on my ipod.

I remember i think it was last year that drummerchick435 said about the jb and noone had anything negative to say about them. They had mostly postive things to say.
Thanks georgeman. I wanna throw poo at fakes.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:28 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
People don't seem to want to admit this, but The Beatles weren't the greatest musicians.
They wrote a whole lot of timeless songs. JB writes Saturday morning cartoon music.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
They wrote a whole lot of timeless songs. JB writes Saturday morning cartoon music.
They were great songwriters.

I'm starting on that group now.