DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-18-2009, 01:16 PM

Default Yamaha MCANS... What heads you using

Every time I get a new kit I go through a period of trying different heads until I find what I like. Well....here I go again. Recently I bought a set of Yamaha MCAN's and I put EC2 clear heads on right away. I did this because they sounded great on my DW's, but I'm not so crazy about them on the Yammies. Any suggestions or experience you guys have for these drums would be greatly appreciated. Oh BTW, I still have the stock Ambassador resonant heads on. I was thinking about replacing those first (w/EC2 on top) and see if I like that. Suggestions there would be great also. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:54 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Yamaha MCANS... What heads you using

I started with clear G2s on my MCAN and have since gone to coated ambassadors. I am going back to the clear heads though. Not sure why but I prefer clear heads on my Yamaha and coated on my Renowns. They are both maple but the Renown sounds better with coated heads...the Yamaha with clear. Go figure.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:43 PM
Silver Member

I just took my Yammie MCAN's out for a live gig last night. They usually live in the studio so it was a fresh change from using my Gretsch kit (which I still love too).

I'm going from an assumption that you like a slightly warmer sound than single-ply heads (i.e. 2-ply). I'm also assuming that we are talking toms and not BD or snare batters.

You may want to consider coated G2's or Aquarian Super-2's for tom batters. I was enjoying the sound of my toms last night with coated G2's on them (G1 clears on bottom) but have in the past tried out Super-2's on them. I only had my 12" and 14" toms last night leaving my 16" at home. The 16" has a coated Super-2 on it and sounds great.

I did have the 'coated' ('frosted' really) EC2's on my toms for awhile. Good sounding heads but too thick for my tastes.

I replaced the stock heads as soon as I bought my MCAN a few years ago (I sold the stock heads on eBay ). I put Aquarian Classic Clears for resos combined with coated Aquarian Studio-X's for batters. I'd recommend replacing yours but maybe when you do a batter switch out as well. You may be trying to dial in a sound with older batters tuning wise that is elusive because the heads won't be as malleable (for lack of a better term)

I think the next total head replacement for me is going to be based on drum diameter as well as general sound. I like my drums resonant and the toms rarely have muffling on them. I'd like to try coated single ply heads on my 10" and 12" toms, then 2-ply on the 14" and 16".

Good luck with all this. Hard to go wrong with MCAN's though. :)

Jim
Old 03-19-2009, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedboyxx View Post
I just took my Yammie MCAN's out for a live gig last night. They usually live in the studio so it was a fresh change from using my Gretsch kit (which I still love too).

I'm going from an assumption that you like a slightly warmer sound than single-ply heads (i.e. 2-ply). I'm also assuming that we are talking toms and not BD or snare batters.

You may want to consider coated G2's or Aquarian Super-2's for tom batters. I was enjoying the sound of my toms last night with coated G2's on them (G1 clears on bottom) but have in the past tried out Super-2's on them. I only had my 12" and 14" toms last night leaving my 16" at home. The 16" has a coated Super-2 on it and sounds great.

I did have the 'coated' ('frosted' really) EC2's on my toms for awhile. Good sounding heads but too thick for my tastes.

I replaced the stock heads as soon as I bought my MCAN a few years ago (I sold the stock heads on eBay ). I put Aquarian Classic Clears for resos combined with coated Aquarian Studio-X's for batters. I'd recommend replacing yours but maybe when you do a batter switch out as well. You may be trying to dial in a sound with older batters tuning wise that is elusive because the heads won't be as malleable (for lack of a better term)

I think the next total head replacement for me is going to be based on drum diameter as well as general sound. I like my drums resonant and the toms rarely have muffling on them. I'd like to try coated single ply heads on my 10" and 12" toms, then 2-ply on the 14" and 16".

Good luck with all this. Hard to go wrong with MCAN's though. :)

Jim
Thanks for the response. Yes I am talking just about the toms. (Sorry) I've got an EMAD on the kick and it doesn't just sound great....it moves objects within the room. Unbelievable punch out of this drum. I've left the front head unported for now, but I am considering an EMAD for the front. Undecided right now. I've had several high end drum kits but this has one outstanding kick drum.

You are right in your assumption that I like a warm sound to the toms, but I'm not stuck on the idea of just 2 ply. Actually on my DW kit I used Aquarian Studio X for a while and they were very warm sounding on those drums, despite them being single play. I may try those again.

I was just talking to my son the other day about single ply on smaller toms and 2 ply on larger toms. Why not? Makes sense to me. If certain woods work better with different diameter drums, why not heads? I've always changed my drum heads as a matching set. This might be worth investigating.

Thanks again for you time.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:32 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummydude View Post
I was just talking to my son the other day about single ply on smaller toms and 2 ply on larger toms. Why not? Makes sense to me. If certain woods work better with different diameter drums, why not heads? I've always changed my drum heads as a matching set. This might be worth investigating.

Thanks again for you time.
I've seen some guys do this recently. G1 coated on 10" and 12" with G2 coated on 14" and 16". Worked for them. Try it.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:11 AM
Silver Member

Ya, I do that too. coated amb on 10", coated emp on 12 and 14.
The twelve is a flip of the coin, I can go either amb or emp and get great results both ways.
You will like the coated amb on the 10", its obviously more open than a emperor and it is especially condusive for thicker shelled drums. 6ply and up.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:32 AM

I use coated ambassadors on all my toms, 10,12,14,16 and I really like the sound. I have coated ps3 on the bassdrum. I like coated heads because they don't produce that wet sound.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Pioneer Member

I've been using coated G2s over clear G1s and my toms sound great. Nice combo. I've also used coated Emperors over the stock reso heads with good results when I first got the kit.

I agree with you on the Yammie Kicks. They do thunder.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:37 AM

On my MCANS I use the EMAD on the bass and Clear Evans Hydraulic on the Toms. I play a 4 piece.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica McCoy View Post
On my MCANS I use the EMAD on the bass and Clear Evans Hydraulic on the Toms. I play a 4 piece.
Hydraulics huh? I used to use those many moons ago on a set of Ludwig Vistalite. What reso's are you using? Just curious.