DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 11-28-2005, 02:52 PM

Default New Member. My 12pc MMX in Emerald Mist

Hey, I just realize theres a forum on Drummerworld. here is my kit. its a 12 peice MMX that I put together.

EDIT: THE LAST PICTURE SHOWS AN UP TO DATE PICTURE OF MY KIT. Jan.03.2006

Pearl MMX (Emerald Mist)

Bass drums:
(2)22x16
20x16 (on order)
Toms:
6x6x5, 8x8, 10x9, 12x10, 13x11
8x7 (on order)
Floor toms
14x14, 16x16, 18x16
DW Piccolo toms:
(2)8x2
8x2 (no money to pick it up yet)
Snare:
14x5.5 DW Kurrillian Birch with Flame graphics (i have 2 other snares too)
Hardware:
Pearl, Gibralter, and some custom cut pipes
Pedals:
Axis A longboards

cymbals
sabian
6" AAX splash
6" AA splash
8" Paragon splash
10" B8 splash
10" B8 Pro china splash
12" Handhammered splash
16" AA thin crash
16" AAX plosion crash
17" AAX studio crash
18" Handhammered medium thin crash
18" AA china
20" AA medium ride

Zildjian
12" re-mix hi hats
14" oriental china "Trash"
15" A rock hats ( fxxked up, so i am getting a refund)
14" K top/ new beats bottom (soon)
17" K china (signed and used by steve gadd)
20" A china high

Paiste
(2)4" accents
8" 2002 splash
12" signature thin china
13" Mega cup chime
17" 2002 crash
20" RUDE ride

UFIP
10" natural splash
Attached Images

Last edited by Fran; 01-04-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:55 PM

Default Re: New Member. My 12pc MMX in Emerald Mist

more pics of my kit. enjoy. in the last picture. i moved my drums to the kitchen. because i can't have my kit sitting in the living room

[
Attached Images

Last edited by Fran; 01-04-2006 at 11:01 AM.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:05 PM
Thinshells

Holy Mangini batman!

That's a very nice looking kit! Quite a prodigious jungle-gym of a rack there as well!

I really like the look and sound of MMX drums, very fat and warm sounding. That finish is superb!

It's pretty cool to see someone else that likes larger kits, and buys the cymbal they want, not just "one company fits all."

Sweet snare drums as well! I am really feeling the TAMA....mmmm...Starclassic....and the only metal snares I like are either my ultracast, or hammered metal like yours.

I can hear the roadie's complaining already...

EDIT: As I stated in a sonor thread, a kit looks classier on a hardwood floor like that.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:10 PM

WOW!! Just WOW!! Beautiful!! Must take days to set up!?! Got a drum tech to help you out? How big is the truck that hauls this stuff around?? Just kidding, of course, but, WOW!! I'm sooooo jealous!

OBTW, nice looking place you have there too!!
Old 11-28-2005, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinshells
Holy Mangini batman!

That's a very nice looking kit! Quite a prodigious jungle-gym of a rack there as well!

I really like the look and sound of MMX drums, very fat and warm sounding. That finish is superb!

It's pretty cool to see someone else that likes larger kits, and buys the cymbal they want, not just "one company fits all."

Sweet snare drums as well! I am really feeling the TAMA....mmmm...Starclassic....and the only metal snares I like are either my ultracast, or hammered metal like yours.

I can hear the roadie's complaining already...

EDIT: As I stated in a sonor thread, a kit looks classier on a hardwood floor like that.
thank you
actually, in these pictures, i was just experimenting with his setup. i am not a huge fan of him( no disrespect to him) simplily because i don't have the opertunity to watch his playing. this set up did open up to a lot of ideas, and my current setup and style really changed after i discovered those new ideas.

you are right about the MMX sounding fat and warm. i love these drums. i am just digging the bass drums a lot because i find it too thin. it is lacking attack. a 6ply bass would do a lot better.

i can see that we have similar taste in snares. the g maple sounds great. but really needs a decent amount of force in order for it open up. the ludwig has been one of my all time favourites. the ludwig and my DW has been my all time favourite due to its versatility.

edit: here is an update of my kit. Jan.03.2006
Attached Images

Last edited by Fran; 01-04-2006 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamadrums
WOW!! Just WOW!! Beautiful!! Must take days to set up!?! Got a drum tech to help you out? How big is the truck that hauls this stuff around?? Just kidding, of course, but, WOW!! I'm sooooo jealous!

OBTW, nice looking place you have there too!!

thanks!

it takes 30 minutes to tear down and 45 minutes to setup. its not that bad

i cleaned my house a little before i set my drums up:P
Old 11-28-2005, 03:20 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
you are right about the MMX sounding fat and warm. i love these drums. i am just digging the bass drums a lot because i find it too thin. it is lacking attack. a 6ply bass would do a lot better.

i can see that we have similar taste in snares. the g maple sounds great. but really needs a decent amount of force in order for it open up. the ludwig has been one of my all time favourites. the ludwig and my DW has been my all time favourite due to its versatility.
Both "Superlow" and I are moving out of the "wood cylander" department. Originally my plan was Pork pie acrylic. that is because of the warmth and power. But Tempus carbon fiber won me over. 3mm shells, louder than wood. Wait until Superlow posts about his 24" carbon fiber kick...mercilessly powerful!

I like my ultracast because as you said---some drums have to be punished to bring them to life. But the UCA is crisp and precise. On the opposite end, my pork pie acrylic blows my ludwig maple out of the water with warmth and versatility. I can't wait for my tempus carbon fiber snare. (I am picking up a kit this summer after I buy a house to put it in)

FWIW: I have NEVER heard Mangini play. I just noticed your kit has some similar ideas.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:23 PM
Pioneer Member

Blimey...how many arms do you have? :P

Thats a really, really nice kit. Excellent choice of finish too. My kit is Emerald Green but no mist.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:29 PM

That's a huge kit! Nice too! Btw, how much have you paid for all that?
Old 11-28-2005, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Both "Superlow" and I are moving out of the "wood cylander" department. Originally my plan was Pork pie acrylic. that is because of the warmth and power. But Tempus carbon fiber won me over. 3mm shells, louder than wood. Wait until Superlow posts about his 24" carbon fiber kick...mercilessly powerful!

I like my ultracast because as you said---some drums have to be punished to bring them to life. But the UCA is crisp and precise. On the opposite end, my pork pie acrylic blows my ludwig maple out of the water with warmth and versatility. I can't wait for my tempus carbon fiber snare. (I am picking up a kit this summer after I buy a house to put it in)

FWIW: I have NEVER heard Mangini play. I just noticed your kit has some similar ideas.

get some pics up when your kit comes!!! i always wanted 24" kick drums. but i bought the first part for my kit second hand. so i didnt' have a choice. but think about it. i payed $1495 canadian for 2 toms, 1 floor, a kick, 3 sided icon rack, iron cobra, and protector cases for all the drums and a hardware case, and 2 boom arms. $1495! i can't pass on that kinda deal.

don't you find the ultracast too thin sounding? to me, i think it lacks body and tone. i have hard acrylic porkpies and they are amazing. try their black bueaty too!! damn nice! sounds similar to the ludwig version.

i am planning on a new kit. there i have priorities, so maybe i can get another kit near the end of the year or begining of next year.

i am planning on a 26" kick. thats for sure.. and it is probably going to be a DW.
Old 11-28-2005, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanSound
Blimey...how many arms do you have? :P

Thats a really, really nice kit. Excellent choice of finish too. My kit is Emerald Green but no mist.

i have 2 arms and 2 legs, but a great mind :P

and thanks for the comment
Old 11-28-2005, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebbe
That's a huge kit! Nice too! Btw, how much have you paid for all that?

thanks
around 13k canadian more or less. somewhere there
Old 11-28-2005, 03:56 PM
Pioneer Member

I've seen your kit before. was it also on the pearl forum?
Old 11-28-2005, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MECHT4NK
I've seen your kit before. was it also on the pearl forum?

yeap, it is.

its annoying that this forum makes ya type at least 20 characters
Old 11-28-2005, 04:22 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
get some pics up when your kit comes!!! i always wanted 24" kick drums. but i bought the first part for my kit second hand. so i didnt' have a choice. but think about it. i payed $1495 canadian for 2 toms, 1 floor, a kick, 3 sided icon rack, iron cobra, and protector cases for all the drums and a hardware case, and 2 boom arms. $1495! i can't pass on that kinda deal.

don't you find the ultracast too thin sounding? to me, i think it lacks body and tone. i have hard acrylic porkpies and they are amazing. try their black bueaty too!! damn nice! sounds similar to the ludwig version.
My UCA has a reverse pc on top, hazy 300 on bottom, and purecussion snares. Sounds nice, fat and warm. I like the mapex hammered phosphor bronze snare as well. It's not as fat sounding as my 14x6 Pork pie.

I will likely go with 1 kick, as I have a dw 9002.

Last edited by Thinshells; 11-28-2005 at 04:37 PM.
Old 11-28-2005, 04:24 PM

Quote:
My UCA has a reverse pc on top, hazy 300 on bottom, and purecussion snares. Sounds nice, fat and warm. I like the mapex hammered phosphor bronze snare as well. It's not as fat sounding as my 14x6 Pork pie.

I will likely go with 1 kick, as I have a dw 9002. $1495 CDN is a ton of money for two toms, unless it was a 16x16 and 18x18 tom. Even then, it's steep.

oh i thin kyou got it wrong. it was 1495 for 2toms, 1 floor, 1 kick, a 3 sided icon rack, an iron cobra single, 2 boom arms, and hard protector cases for all the drums and hardware

read again:P
Old 11-28-2005, 04:31 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
oh i thin kyou got it wrong. it was 1495 for 2toms, 1 floor, 1 kick, a 3 sided icon rack, an iron cobra single, 2 boom arms, and hard protector cases for all the drums and hardware

read again:P
..And a partridge in a pear tree...

I need a nap... caffiene wore off just then... :P
Old 11-28-2005, 04:38 PM

Quote:
..And a partridge in a pear tree...

I need a nap... caffiene wore off just then... :P

lol

well goodnite then
Old 11-28-2005, 04:40 PM

Very professional looking....I'm assuming you play louder music? :)
Old 11-28-2005, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny
Very professional looking....I'm assuming you play louder music? :)

death metal, speed metal

otherwise

melodic drumming stuff, and fusion jazz
Old 11-28-2005, 05:47 PM
Silver Member

VERY NICE!! Jeez dude, thats a pretty big set. I like it! lol, how do u reach some of those cymbals? I've also never seen neone with that big of a variety of cymbals. very nice
Old 11-28-2005, 05:52 PM
Thinshells

Quote:
death metal, speed metal

otherwise

melodic drumming stuff, and fusion jazz
Yeah, I play death metal, grind core, thrash or some light muzak for elevators and some children's ditties.
Old 11-28-2005, 07:16 PM

I love a big show-ie set. Very, very nice.

Quote:
Yeah, I play death metal, grind core, thrash or some light muzak for elevators and some children's ditties.
And sorry, I couldn't help it but I lol'ed at that....
Old 11-29-2005, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zildjian_dude101
VERY NICE!! Jeez dude, thats a pretty big set. I like it! lol, how do u reach some of those cymbals? I've also never seen neone with that big of a variety of cymbals. very nice

i am 5'8 and sit around 100-110 degrees. everything is fine. i don't find setting toms and cymbals as low as possible comfortable (no offense to those ppl). have things low, doesen't mean its going to be the best way to play. as for my cymbals. i mount them that high because i don't use those cymbals as much. they are not the primary voice of my drums.
Old 11-29-2005, 07:55 AM

looking good as always arthur. And to everyone I can say this kit is as fun to play as it looks.
Old 11-29-2005, 09:36 AM
Pioneer Member

Is that a drum kit or some sort of S&M torture contraption? That's a killer looking kit, man.
I wouldn't know what to hit first if I was sitting behind it.
Old 11-29-2005, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthehero
Is that a drum kit or some sort of S&M torture contraption? That's a killer looking kit, man.
I wouldn't know what to hit first if I was sitting behind it.

well, my playing require all these cymbals. i changed the setup now.. i agree that less is more. but why force yourself to play with 2 cymbals if you can play with 5. you don't have to use all the cymbals at once. i stacked many cymbals together. i am getting rid of a few things. (zidljains) haha

and i am gona get some terry bozzio stacks and chimes. i need them.

and tomorrow i am going to order a lefty eliminator double pedal and a single pedal
Old 11-29-2005, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpiderPine
looking good as always arthur. And to everyone I can say this kit is as fun to play as it looks.

thanks bro

next time you come over. many things will be different and some stuff will be gone.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:12 PM

I do alot of gigging and rehearsal (where we share the room with other bands), a kit like that just wouldn't be practical for me, although it is very nice. I have a Pearl MMX myself (black mist), but with many of the venues I play being smaller in size this kind of set-up (you have) would be more effort than it is worth in terms of space, set-up time, amount of drum mic's available, sound check e.t.c.

Like I said though, very nice... I'll try and get some good pics of my set-up at some point over the next few weeks.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rich
I do alot of gigging and rehearsal (where we share the room with other bands), a kit like that just wouldn't be practical for me, although it is very nice. I have a Pearl MMX myself (black mist), but with many of the venues I play being smaller in size this kind of set-up (you have) would be more effort than it is worth in terms of space, set-up time, amount of drum mic's available, sound check e.t.c.

Like I said though, very nice... I'll try and get some good pics of my set-up at some point over the next few weeks.
i never gig with this kit. i did with a bass drum and a tom once.

i reason why i have something so large is because of the melodic type of solo i play. i took a few cymbals out because i realize they are just in the way. instead, i am planning to order a few more 12"- 15" chinas for stacking. the setup you see in the pictures is what i use when my band comes over to my house to jam. it is a lot of fun. but i only use 1/3 of everything that i have when it comes to play with a band. i don't use much of my chinas when it comes to jamming. but in my soloing, i use tons of chinas and splashes but almost never even touching my crashes.

its not practical for gigging ofcourse. but part of drumming is about enjoyment. a drumset is a way to express yourself. this kit did it really well.

and thanks
Old 11-29-2005, 03:50 PM
Pioneer Member

It is great to see someone who isnt a superduperpromegarichsuperstar drummer who has a big kit.. i myself got a small kit but big kits are just so fun to play on, i wish i had a big kit.. do you got asny sound or video clip?
Old 11-30-2005, 12:38 PM

I love the set. I was looking a it and realized that it looks familer. Then I realized that you are on the PDF. Glad to see you are here too. One forum is good. Two forums is great.
Old 11-30-2005, 02:42 PM

So Fran, are you gonna let us hear you solo on this kit or what?

Last edited by DogBreath; 12-01-2005 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Edited to make the evil smilies go away
Old 11-30-2005, 02:50 PM
Silver Member

Wow, now I have an image of how my dream kit would look like !
Old 11-30-2005, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by largo61
I love the set. I was looking a it and realized that it looks familer. Then I realized that you are on the PDF. Glad to see you are here too. One forum is good. Two forums is great.

yeap~ i am on the PDF. i liek here tho. because ppl have tons of issues with tom angles and such there hahaha.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the rich
So Fran, are you gonna let us hear you solo on this kit or what?
with my current setup, i am not ready to record a solo yet because i dont' have anything to record a decent mp3 or a video. and i am currently taking some cymbals out and adding some new ones.and i have 2 pedals coming to remote my other bass drum. wait till i get everything, and i will surely record something.

Last edited by DogBreath; 12-01-2005 at 03:26 AM.
Old 11-30-2005, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumProgressive
Wow, now I have an image of how my dream kit would look like !

cool
this has always been somewhat my dream kit. its not exactly know. its not my favourite color and tom sizes. it's pretty close to my dream kit. i have another kit in mind tho.
Old 12-02-2005, 02:40 AM

holy crap man! nice kit. i myself have a quite large kit pearl session smx 6-ply maple. the bass drums are 22" by 18" and they sound great. 6-ply maple in my opinion is the way to go. i just couldnt afford the masters...heh. i have 3 mounted toms 8 inch is on the way 2 floors and 2 bass drums. i do have a masters snare drum. 14" by 6.5" aw yea. im gona be posting some pics up later il let you guys know.
but again man, freakin nice kit i envy you. i also really like those snare drums. awesome.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdterps1042
holy crap man! nice kit. i myself have a quite large kit pearl session smx 6-ply maple. the bass drums are 22" by 18" and they sound great. 6-ply maple in my opinion is the way to go. i just couldnt afford the masters...heh. i have 3 mounted toms 8 inch is on the way 2 floors and 2 bass drums. i do have a masters snare drum. 14" by 6.5" aw yea. im gona be posting some pics up later il let you guys know.
but again man, freakin nice kit i envy you. i also really like those snare drums. awesome.

thanks

i always prefer thinner shells. i am not really a fan of 6ply. i like drums with reinforcement rings.
swhy didn't you go for the brx? they are just a little more than a session smx i think.
Old 12-03-2005, 02:34 AM

Quote:
thanks

i always prefer thinner shells. i am not really a fan of 6ply. i like drums with reinforcement rings.
swhy didn't you go for the brx? they are just a little more than a session smx i think.
actually i do have a masters brx snare drum. i really like the sound of birch for my snare. i also have a steel piccolo. but i didnt get brx for the rest of my drums simply because i wanted maple. but in the future i'll probobly look in to reference or masters mmx.