DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-16-2009, 05:39 AM
trkdrmr

Default Metal players only: solid or nitro throne?

For those of you that play double kick a lot, at high speed...

Do you feel stable and comfortable on a throne like the roc n soc nitro, or do you feel that a solid type throne is better for your purposes?

I have read metal drummers complain that the gas-charged thrones are too soft and thus throw them off. This would not necessarily be an issue for someone who plays some occasional double kick fills.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:12 AM

Default Re: Metal players only: solid or nitro throne?

I prefer solid thrones. I don't really blast away on the double bass a la Chris Adler, but I do incorporate double bass into what I play. Gas thrones just don't feel right for me, so I prefer solid.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:28 PM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahriman22 View Post
I prefer solid thrones. I don't really blast away on the double bass a la Chris Adler, but I do incorporate double bass into what I play. Gas thrones just don't feel right for me, so I prefer solid.
I have read in places that if your primary musical requirements are blastbeats, that a gas charged throne moves too much. I need to try a solid throne and compared, it's been too many years. I don't want any factors to compete with that kind of playing.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:00 PM

I've never owned a Roc n Soc or pork pie throne. Not sure if they're hugely different, they look similar and somewhat trendy.

For the same amount of money, or less I'm not sure.. I bought the Tama 1st chair biker shape. Its the most solid seat I've used and owned. Set it up and its rock solid, try shaking it around and it doesnt lift off the ground. Its more solid than a cymbal stand and the best thing about it is the goddamn seat part doesnt spin around (very easily). I mean it turns when you make it, but its not like some seats that spin every time you twist.

It works for the type of metal I play, lots of double kick... 8th note singles, 16th note double, and 16th note triplets. Some times I have to put the spikes out on the bass drum to keep that from running away.
I also play lots of gravity beats/blast beats I dont know if there's a difference there... fast fills, blast beats, fast beats and double kick. Highly recommended... or imo DW has great hardware, probably even better than Tama's.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:02 PM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infernal Valkyrie View Post
I've never owned a Roc n Soc or pork pie throne. Not sure if they're hugely different, they look similar and somewhat trendy.

For the same amount of money, or less I'm not sure.. I bought the Tama 1st chair biker shape. Its the most solid seat I've used and owned. Set it up and its rock solid, try shaking it around and it doesnt lift off the ground. Its more solid than a cymbal stand and the best thing about it is the goddamn seat part doesnt spin around (very easily). I mean it turns when you make it, but its not like some seats that spin every time you twist.

It works for the type of metal I play, lots of double kick... 8th note singles, 16th note double, and 16th note triplets. Some times I have to put the spikes out on the bass drum to keep that from running away.
I also play lots of gravity beats/blast beats I dont know if there's a difference there... fast fills, blast beats, fast beats and double kick. Highly recommended... or imo DW has great hardware, probably even better than Tama's.
You touched on something that's my issue ATM. The roc n soc freely spins, and that is a little like playing from a moving platform. I don't like that at all.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:15 PM

DSefinitely solid thrones if your playing lots of double kick is my preference. I play with a pearl seat, forget the model number and name but it doesnt move at all which is great for that type of playing
Old 03-16-2009, 08:16 PM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nacdrummer3 View Post
DSefinitely solid thrones if your playing lots of double kick is my preference. I play with a pearl seat, forget the model number and name but it doesnt move at all which is great for that type of playing
My local gc has the following solid tractor seat thrones:
Tama, Pork Pie, Roc n Soc and Sound percussion.

With the exception of the SP, they are all $139.95.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:29 PM

This might sound like a silly question, but on the bottom part of the seat is the wingnut tightened all the way? I guess there are some thrones that when fully tightened still spin. My Tama seat might spin sometimes if the wingnut is tight but can be tightened more.
I've had some back problems for the past few years and the biggest problem about an unsolid throne is it might cramp your back.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:07 PM
trkdrmr

Quote:
This might sound like a silly question, but on the bottom part of the seat is the wingnut tightened all the way? I guess there are some thrones that when fully tightened still spin. My Tama seat might spin sometimes if the wingnut is tight but can be tightened more.
I've had some back problems for the past few years and the biggest problem about an unsolid throne is it might cramp your back.
It is, this throne is meant to spin easily. Also the suspension system subtly bounces too much when you really try to lay into double kick singles.

I went by GC and tried a tama, pearl, sound percussion, pork pie and dw.

I bought the solid pork pie because it looked to be better constructed that the others, with a better seat. Also it says "Made by an American" and that's who I need to support anyway.
Old 03-16-2009, 11:38 PM
Silver Member

I play Death Metal/Grind so like 99% double bass haha. I use the pork pie round throne. I tried out a bunch and perfered the pork pie being locked solid.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:44 PM
Christ-Hammer

I have the roc n soc nitro and I love it when playing metal, I can distance myself perfectly from the pedals with it.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:53 PM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ-Hammer View Post
I have the roc n soc nitro and I love it when playing metal, I can distance myself perfectly from the pedals with it.
How does a gas charged throne get you closer than a solid throne?
Old 03-17-2009, 11:31 PM

I think he means he sits close when playing and for double bass he leans back or something?
Old 03-18-2009, 12:12 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daphfz View Post
I think he means he sits close when playing and for double bass he leans back or something?
I can do that on a solid throne.... that's why I am confused.
Old 03-18-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
I can do that on a solid throne.... that's why I am confused.
i do believe he finds it easy to get the perfect height not distance away from the pedals.
i play on a roc n soc nitro and love it never had a problem when running double bass
Old 03-18-2009, 12:34 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt949 View Post
i do believe he finds it easy to get the perfect height not distance away from the pedals.
i play on a roc n soc nitro and love it never had a problem when running double bass
As luck would have it, I still have the nitro and the solid Pork Pie.
Old 03-18-2009, 05:57 AM
Christ-Hammer

I meant height, cause you can adjust it to be really short or really high, its awesome.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:32 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ-Hammer View Post
I meant height, cause you can adjust it to be really short or really high, its awesome.
Yep, the brand makes good stuff. Comfortable, solid and with a wide adjustment. Some of the cheaper thones don't go very high at all. I tried a sound percussion. Yikes!
Old 03-18-2009, 08:54 AM

Glad to hear you bought one made in America. I chose some domestic gear, Sabian and Ayotte and that stuff makes me proud.

There is so much innovative stuff out there, and its American made. Lots to be proud of, I like the cars. My caddie is the 2nd GM car I've owned.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:56 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Glad to hear you bought one made in America. I chose some domestic gear, Sabian and Ayotte and that stuff makes me proud.

There is so much innovative stuff out there, and its American made. Lots to be proud of, I like the cars. My caddie is the 2nd GM car I've owned.
Buying American (or domestic for any countries citizens) is like voting. One or two may not be a big deal. But if every drummer than was on this forum bought domestic gear, and supported their local store it would make a difference.

Sabian, Ayotte and GM from Canada right? It is good to keep money at home. USA and Canadian economies are so intertwined that the lines blur and the money spreads across North America.

Besides, I hold Ayotte in higher esteem than many drum companies. If I were plunking down $4k on a maple kit, I'd look to Ayotte, DW, Gretsch or Ludwig. There is no need for everything I spend to go overseas.
Old 03-19-2009, 03:56 AM

I just got rid of a nitro because it was screwing up my double bass. Once I built up speed I would lose a bit of accuracy because the throne would bounce with me. So I borrowed a pork pie round and loved it so much that I bought my own. Just so you know I put this in my other post, Musicians Friend is giving 20.00 off 150.00-250.00 purchases until 3/31 so I picked up the Pork Pie w free shipping for 139.00 just enter WANT into the coupon box. And I agree with the buy domestic mindset. I use DW and now Pork Pie and Gretsch Drums. Even though my series is made in China the money still goes back to an American company. If I could afford em I would play pork pie's but they bee pretty expensive.
Oh and the issue with the nitro might not effect you but when I switched from heel up is when it really started to annoy me. If you plant yourself you could be fine with a nitro but i shift my feets a lot.
Old 03-19-2009, 04:21 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardvark666 View Post
Even though my series is made in China the money still goes back to an American company. If I could afford em I would play pork pie's but they bee pretty expensive.
Oh and the issue with the nitro might not effect you but when I switched from heel up is when it really started to annoy me. If you plant yourself you could be fine with a nitro but i shift my feets a lot.
While I do preach buy domestic or American when possible, there will always be exception. Lord knows I have recently contributed a staggering amount of money to the GNP of Switzerland with all my new Paistes. My dollars have become Euros. I don't feel so bad, because my kit and a lot of my hardware is 100% made in USA.

But on the second note, you have pointed out what I should have. The most annoying, and pronounced effect of moving and bouncing occurs when modulating from heel down (you are basically planted this way) to heel up, and then accelerating your playing. I would *not* recommend a nitro to a new person learning double kick for metal playing for that reason.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
Buying American (or domestic for any countries citizens) is like voting. One or two may not be a big deal. But if every drummer than was on this forum bought domestic gear, and supported their local store it would make a difference.

Sabian, Ayotte and GM from Canada right? It is good to keep money at home. USA and Canadian economies are so intertwined that the lines blur and the money spreads across North America.

Besides, I hold Ayotte in higher esteem than many drum companies. If I were plunking down $4k on a maple kit, I'd look to Ayotte, DW, Gretsch or Ludwig. There is no need for everything I spend to go overseas.

Ayotte is great quality and it might be pricey brand new. But I got a 3 piece with wood hoops on craigslist used for 1300. Wood hoops is a must have on those kits imo, I've played one kit with steel. Actually I live about an hour drive away from their factory, and I've even visited their old factory and show room in Vancouver.

My GM was made in the States. I used to drive a Chevy Iroc Camaro but now I have a late 80's Cadillac fleetwood. I got the caddie for very little and its in great shape. Huge car, perfect for hauling equipment, driving, listening to music and just sitting in.