DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 03-09-2009, 06:19 AM

Default 2 Part Question: Tama stock reso heads and Coated Emporer v. EC2

I just got a set of superstar hyperdrive sl customs second hand (>1yr old - pics coming tmw) and I'm wondering about the stock Tama reso heads. They're obviously a one ply (7mil?), with no other branding on them other than the tama logo. Will I see a marginal upgrade in sound quality by switching to an Evans G1 for instance?

The drums came with 6-8 month old coated emporers and they were tuned SUPER low, I like a lot of bottom but this was extreme. I played with the tuning quite a bit and am still getting a really slappy/boingy sound from the toms. I am definitely not a tuning expert but recently had a lot of success switching some remo pinstripes off another kit I picked up a couple of months ago for evans ec2 over g1's. I plan on picking up some ec2's to try on the new kit, but here's my question:
I know that I like the sound I get from ec2's (clear) as opposed to remo emporers (coated), so could someone use some quick descriptors that explain the type of sound i like? E.g. are remo's a 'brighter' sounding head or evans? Which has more 'control'? What are the differences in attack and sustain? Coated vs. Clear? I'm sure this has been discussed to the max already but hopefully someone can help me out, cheers
-AV
Old 03-10-2009, 02:24 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: 2 Part Question: Tama stock reso heads and Coated Emporer v. EC2

Yes. Tama stock heads are garbage except for the starclassics. They starclassics feature Evans g2s i think
Old 03-10-2009, 02:58 AM

I think that the dampened sound that you're looking at could be a variety of things, but I'll see if I can make some sense of it.

I think the sound you like would be described as "meaty", "dense", or "full". This means that it's powerful, having a very thick sound.
You're probably also looking at a "low" sound, simply because of the low frequencies be created and the darker sound.
The coated v. clear situation probably indicates that you like "projection" and "clarity", meaning you like your sounds to be very definite and clean cut.

Now, onto the individual heads themselves.
The Evans Coated G2's probably dried out your Superstars a bit too much for your liking, I know they did for me. The difference that you're experiencing with the Pinstripes as opposed to the G2s would most likely result from the Pinstripes being clear, thus making a more precise sound. Coated heads in general create a warmer, drier, more indefinite tone than clear heads, which are characteristically brighter, have more sustain, and have a more plasticy/definite attack to them.
I believe that the heads your should look at should be clear, first off. This will provide you with the attack, clarity, and definition you are looking for.
The next attribute I think you should look at would be a two ply head. While this is PURELY preference, I believe that it is simply easier to achieve a nice low end with two plies as opposed to one. Another potential positive is that they are more durable, although proper technique shouldn't be giving you very many dents in heads.
The next is muffling. Muffling is a very, VERY open subject. It's almost like politics, with supporters on both ends of the spectrum of muffling or none. Personally, I believe that no muffling is beneficial for the following reasons:
- You are heard by the audience/jam mates/ bandmates you are playing with better (if you're playing with anyone)
- You can always throw a Moongel on a G2 to muffle it, but you can't take that nice little ring out of an EC2

However, there are LEGIONS of people that swear by Pinstripes, EC2s, and various muffled Aquarian heads. It really just boils down to experimentation, trial and error, and ultimately what you like the best.
Old 03-10-2009, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewTheShoe View Post
I think that the dampened sound that you're looking at could be a variety of things, but I'll see if I can make some sense of it.

I think the sound you like would be described as "meaty", "dense", or "full". This means that it's powerful, having a very thick sound.
You're probably also looking at a "low" sound, simply because of the low frequencies be created and the darker sound.
The coated v. clear situation probably indicates that you like "projection" and "clarity", meaning you like your sounds to be very definite and clean cut.

Now, onto the individual heads themselves.
The Evans Coated G2's probably dried out your Superstars a bit too much for your liking, I know they did for me. The difference that you're experiencing with the Pinstripes as opposed to the G2s would most likely result from the Pinstripes being clear, thus making a more precise sound. Coated heads in general create a warmer, drier, more indefinite tone than clear heads, which are characteristically brighter, have more sustain, and have a more plasticy/definite attack to them.
I believe that the heads your should look at should be clear, first off. This will provide you with the attack, clarity, and definition you are looking for.
The next attribute I think you should look at would be a two ply head. While this is PURELY preference, I believe that it is simply easier to achieve a nice low end with two plies as opposed to one. Another potential positive is that they are more durable, although proper technique shouldn't be giving you very many dents in heads.
The next is muffling. Muffling is a very, VERY open subject. It's almost like politics, with supporters on both ends of the spectrum of muffling or none. Personally, I believe that no muffling is beneficial for the following reasons:
- You are heard by the audience/jam mates/ bandmates you are playing with better (if you're playing with anyone)
- You can always throw a Moongel on a G2 to muffle it, but you can't take that nice little ring out of an EC2

However, there are LEGIONS of people that swear by Pinstripes, EC2s, and various muffled Aquarian heads. It really just boils down to experimentation, trial and error, and ultimately what you like the best.
The kit actually has coated emporers not evans coated heads, but I agree with your assessment for the most part. The drums do seem to be dried out, and I'd describe the sound as slappy, almost rumbly, or boingy. Not conventional drum terms I know lol

Check out the kit here http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=47928

I'm going to grab some evans, either g2 clear or ec2. Any tips or comparisons of those two heads?

Next question: Is it a no-no to take slightly used drumheads off a different brand set (with possibly different bearing edges) and put them on another kit? Will this affect the seating? I'm wondering because I have a 12" ec2 on a pacific cx kit that I'd like to try on my superstar 12" tom...thanks
Attached Images

Old 03-10-2009, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Vandelay View Post
The kit actually has coated emporers not evans coated heads, but I agree with your assessment for the most part. The drums do seem to be dried out, and I'd describe the sound as slappy, almost rumbly, or boingy. Not conventional drum terms I know lol

Check out the kit here http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=47928

I'm going to grab some evans, either g2 clear or ec2. Any tips or comparisons of those two heads?

Next question: Is it a no-no to take slightly used drumheads off a different brand set (with possibly different bearing edges) and put them on another kit? Will this affect the seating? I'm wondering because I have a 12" ec2 on a pacific cx kit that I'd like to try on my superstar 12" tom...thanks
Please excuse me for that one, I meant Emperor. Two plies, they're practically the same thing.

When it comes the either the G2s or the EC2s, here's my humble opinion.
You should go with the G2s, and snag some MoonGels. This way, you can tune your G2s to your liking, and if you need more dampening, you can use the Moongels. With the EC2s should you want a more open, less dampened sound, you'll have to either buy new heads or find some new miracle way to remove the dampening without ruining the head.

EDIT: It is also worth noting that those just might be defective Remo heads. Ask around the forum, and you'll find a SLEW of people that have experienced quality control problems with Remo.