DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 03-08-2009, 06:03 AM

Default New KickPort bass drum port anyone tried one?

Saw this mentioned over at Gearslutz in the drum section. Supposed to increase the sub frequencies... Anyone tried it?

http://recordinghacks.com/2009/03/03/kickport/
Old 03-08-2009, 04:49 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: New KickPort bass drum port anyone tried one?

I'm sorry but I couldn't notice much difference in the sound before and after, but I'm not against hearing other tests. I'd like to hear it up close and personal before passing judgement
Old 03-10-2009, 05:23 AM
Platinum Member

$40 + shipping (US)....................
Old 03-10-2009, 01:50 PM
Senior Consultant

I tried it at NAMM and it made an instant improvement in the sound. It was surprising. It brought out more lows and highs and minimized the ugly mids.

Several of the drum companies were there and looked very interested, so much so that a few of the small custom guys actually put it on their display kits.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:18 AM

Just got mine yesterday. I'll try record a before & after next week unless someone beats me to it.
Old 03-17-2009, 08:05 AM

I just published an extensive writeup, with sound samples.

In short, what I heard at NAMM was astounding, but it didn't translate to my home studio.

I'm eager to hear other folks' experiences. Here's mine:

KickPort review
Old 03-17-2009, 01:10 PM
Senior Consultant

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordinghacks View Post

In short, what I heard at NAMM was astounding, but it didn't translate to my home studio.

KickPort review
Nice review. I'm glad that someone else can attest to the fact that the drum at NAMM sounded much better with the port in.

The real-life applications are pretty limited though, so I can't see myself getting one because I'm almost always miked.
Old 03-21-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recordinghacks View Post

KickPort review
Great review!

Jayu...What'd ya think?
Old 04-03-2009, 09:43 AM

Hi there,

Jesse Bradman here from Future Percussion Concepts - The KickPort company. I sure appreciate all the discussion about our product! We have had a wonderful week with Gerry Brown and Kenny Aronoff letting us know how much they "love the KP" among others. I can assure you the KP is no gimmick - we spent over four years working on it. It has been used with wonderful success in the studio - I recently received a note from Curt Bisquera with a recorded groove telling us how great it sounds recorded.

A comment about Matt McGlynn's review. At the time Matt used the product, he was using it in conjunction with a felt pad on the inside of the head which basically took away all the qualities the KP offers. The 'Getting the Most Out of the KickPort document which can be downloaded from our website clearly advises against any dampening/muffling materials touching the resonant head. that includes mufflng rings of felt of plastic although the plastic rings can be taped down to reduce unwanted noise caused by rings, NOT the Kickport.

Matt communicated to me that he was unable to provide a head without muffling/dampening. As an accommodation, FPC has provided him with a head so he can use the KP in the manner it was designed to be used. As he is a drummer I can assume he understands that adding weight to the res head will make the res head react differently. Thus, one would likely want to tune the head a bit different as well, not to mention removing most or all dampening materials in the interior.

The KickPort is a tool and to enjoy the dramatic improvement it can offer, one must use it in the manner it was designed to be used - just like any other tool. And just like any new piece of gear, one usually must make adjustments to existing setup. I know this from playing keyboards with four platimum bands when I received a new piece of new gear...it took some work to really get the most out of it. As Jotan Afanador told me a couple weeks ago; "When I first tried the KP it was really cool, a solid improvement. Then I really spent some time with it, fooling around with different head combinations, taping off the plastic muffling ring as Jesse suggested etc., then I played around with tuning and internal dampening materials. Now I have this down, and I find it is amazing - truly an incredible product!"

If you want, email Jotan - he has a website and would likely be more than glad to respond.

the KickPort is a complex tool. It may look simple to copy but believe me it would not be as easy as one thinks - not to mention Patent Infringement :).

We have professional drummers out on the road (Dennis Chambers with Santana for one) and in the studio having tremendous success with our product. The Testimonials on our website are a small sample.

I would be pleased to have anyone me directly if any of you have specific questions!

kind regards,

Jesse Bradman, Business Development/FPC-The KickPort Company
jesse.fpcdrums@speakeasy.net o/707 789 0737[/font]
Old 04-03-2009, 11:05 AM

I am wondering about the results from different sizes of kick drums. My current stage kick is a 24x18 maple, my home kit is a 22x16 poplar and I am thinking about using a 18x16 floor tom as a jungle kit sorta set up...

Thanks in advance for the reply Jesse.
Joe
Old 05-15-2009, 06:28 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Default KickPort review

Here's my video review of the KickPort.

http://www.drummercafe.com/reviews/g...-concepts.html
Old 05-16-2009, 12:29 AM

This is the exact review I was looking for. I think I can get the results I am looking for with tuning/damping.

I am so glad you took the time to try it with a common and not so common size of drum. I was into the car audio thing for a few years as a younger man (wow I sound like a geezer and I am 35 lol ) and I remember lots of math being involved in figuring out what size/length of port to use in a ported speaker enclosure. It was all based on numbers that the speaker manufacture would provide, and could very wildly dependent on the style/size/cone shape/cone material/ ect ect ect...

Great review, and unless I feel like trying one on a whim, you just saved me 40 bux Bart!

Cheers!
Joe
Old 05-20-2009, 04:40 PM
DW PRO DRUMMER

Glad my review helped you make your decision Joe.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:29 AM

Hi friends.
I just bought one. If you want to see me fit it (and see my bald patch) click here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUO-la1DdYM
Only crummy camcorder sound, I'm afraid. Something you have to experience, I guess.
Check out my self hypnosis for musicians stuff too!
Old 08-27-2009, 03:56 PM

Greetings.....
Have gigged one of these on my masters BD and also witnessed on a Pork Pie BD and you will notice the difference.
When miked up for gigging you get a more solid sound overall + you get whats still just coming from the BD which I find provides more feedback & feel, especially as I don't tend to use a personal drum monitor. Have also used with an Evans Emad head with dampening ring and no problems.
Enjoy.....
Old 01-31-2010, 10:42 PM

oh yeah ... it works alright!

A heads up .. dont dampen the front head too much and use as little padding in the BD as poss.

I use one in each of my 4 BD's (20, 22, 24, 28) and it's more noticeable the larger the BD!

My fav is the 24 x 18 .. for whatever reason, the planets line up when I use a Kickport in that drum!
Old 06-26-2010, 04:13 PM

I just put one on my Pearl SMX 24x18 bass drum and noticed a real improvement in the sound. It does exactly as it claims, it gives a clear focused sound with huge gains to the lower tones. I too have a collection of bass drums for my kit (18, 20, 22, 24) but have only tried it on the 24. I'd love to put it on my other bass drums but at $40 a kickport I'll have to be patient and do this over time, lol. It does seem to be worth the price though, I'm very pleased with the sound.

As a note, I'm using it with a Remo powerstroke 3 on the batter side and a simple black ambassador on the resonant side. As for additional muffling, I have nothing touching the resonant head (as they recommend) but I have an Evans kickpad on the interior only lightly touching the batter head to reduce a bit of the interior reflections of the maple (watch Bob Gatzens video to better understand what I mean by that). I'm curious to see whether some subtle changes in my tuning (ie. just a bit above wrinkle, perhaps just a bit tighter than that) can allow for completely removing the kickpad.
Old 06-26-2010, 10:38 PM

I ordered mine, can't wait till it arrives
Old 06-26-2010, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

This is the best advice for KICK PORT-A heads up .. dont dampen the front head too much and use as little padding in the BD as poss.

... and no dampening on the front head works even better.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:01 AM

just get one like i did get drunk with ur friend and make him buy u one oh ya and it does boom bam punch chest blows any one in front of ur kick
Old 01-03-2013, 09:31 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmviolate View Post
just get one like i did get drunk with ur friend and make him buy u one oh ya and it does boom bam punch chest blows any one in front of ur kick
And now in English?

Twenty.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmviolate View Post
just get one like i did get drunk with ur friend and make him buy u one
I do not have breasts or a vagina, this most likely would not work for me.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickropolis View Post
I do not have breasts or a vagina, this most likely would not work for me.
Unfortunately, I have breasts but I'm the wrong gender. It doesn't work.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:03 AM
Silver Member

I like using my KickPort. I have it on my 20" kick drum. It was originally on my 22" kick. I certainly do notice the gain in low frequency outputs. Most people that don't like them are the guys that are recording. They claim that they notice a rattle sensation. Do they have it installed properly? I'm not sure.

I may head back in the direction of a none ported head. I just installed a new Emad batter on a kick drum that is indentical to mine. The only difference is that mine is ported. Both are muffled with a DW muffle pad. His sounded way more musical and clean. We both like a nice "thud" and no "boom". We both achieved it, but like I said, his sounds way more musical and clean. I think I'll be grabbing up on a none ported reso tomorrow.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:10 AM

I seem to recall that there were some issues/complaints about rattling in the first gen Kickports. They supposedly addressed that and made some changes in the Kickport 2.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:14 AM
Silver Member

I think you're right. I know that my kickport2 doesn't rattle at all.
Old 05-15-2013, 07:27 AM

this piece of poop dont work the hole to make in your head is with a progresso soup can melt it the can is 3 1/2 this makes my kick the shiiii
Old 05-30-2013, 09:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtliquid View Post
I seem to recall that there were some issues/complaints about rattling in the first gen Kickports. They supposedly addressed that and made some changes in the Kickport 2.

They did indeed. They're using a different composition in the rubber of the collar, and it (the collar) is now replaceable.

Any/all rubber will eventually fatigue with use, and in KICKPORTS case that's what was happening, the rubber got wacked-out, loosened up over time.

If you can't hear a low freq boost after installing KICKPORT in any drum, you may have issues hearing low frequencies. Hearing a difference and liking it are two different things also.

The effect KICKPORT produces is a concentration in the low 30hz range, which is about thee limit of most speaker systems in the most widely used situations. You need about 37.5 feet from your bass drum to the wall to produce a 30 hz wave, a 30hz wave is that long.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:49 AM
Platinum Member

Well, after this thread, I guess I'll have to give it a second try. Mine got screwed up and rattly during the disgusting uncomfortable installation.