DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 02-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Ainulindale's Avatar
Ainulindale Ainulindale is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,084
Default help finding a durable snare head?

heys guys, back begging for help again ;-)

i'm looking for some opinions on a snare head that will hold up under a heavy hitter, from Remo or Evans - either or, does'nt matter, i'm still in the experimental stage with heads so any advice or ideas are welcome!
__________________
question the media, sheep arent cool
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-28-2009, 05:36 PM
Drumrunner Drumrunner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 123
Default Re: help finding a durable snare head?

I have found that the Evans power center reverse dot is a very durable head and still has a nice open sound.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-28-2009, 05:57 PM
randomhero243 randomhero243 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 91
Default Re: help finding a durable snare head?

i second the PC reverse dot
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-01-2009, 04:48 AM
Steady Freddy's Avatar
Steady Freddy Steady Freddy is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: In the pocket.
Posts: 1,528
Default Re: help finding a durable snare head?

The PC reverse dot is a nice open sounding head. For a dryer sound the genera dry HD is a good bet. Also the ST and ST dry are a couple to look at.

The Genera HD, ST, and ST dry are 2 ply heads and will last for a very long time. I used these heads quite a bit and have had very good results with them.

HTH
__________________
My body stunk, but I kept my funk.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-01-2009, 04:52 AM
drumbum11 drumbum11 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 143
Default Re: help finding a durable snare head?

the emporer x is a very thick head but some say its only good on metal snare drums but i like it on my wood one but my is a crap cb so it may not be a good judge
__________________
Ddrum dominion ash, Zildjian, Evans
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-01-2009, 04:59 AM
805Drummer's Avatar
805Drummer 805Drummer is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BEHIND YOU.
Posts: 1,451
Default Re: help finding a durable snare head?

Um, WITHOUT A DOUBT:

The Aquarian Hi-Energy.

Not only does it sound AMAZING, but it can PACK a PUNCH!

I can be super gentle with this thing, or slam the CRAP out of it.
__________________
PDP 805 & Zildjian A
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-01-2009, 08:21 AM
razorx's Avatar
razorx razorx is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Phillipsburg, NJ USA
Posts: 2,215
Default Re: help finding a durable snare head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805Drummer View Post
Um, WITHOUT A DOUBT:

The Aquarian Hi-Energy.

Not only does it sound AMAZING, but it can PACK a PUNCH!

I can be super gentle with this thing, or slam the CRAP out of it.
Yep, Or the Emperor X. The only snare head i've ever broken was an ambassador with a black dot.
__________________
Youtube: youtube.com/simpleplandrummer
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-02-2009, 12:55 AM
Ainulindale's Avatar
Ainulindale Ainulindale is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,084
Default Re: help finding a durable snare head?

thanks for the ideas guys! since i'm sporting Evans right now, i will probably try the PCRD, i can't find a shop that'll stock Aquarians normally, and i worry about trying a 2 ply head - i have G2's on my toms and they really give them a warm, woody sound and i like a dry, sharp crack from my snare - the Emporer X is two 10mil layers with the dot is'nt it? if so, could i still get the bright sound i'm looking for?

thanks again guys!
__________________
question the media, sheep arent cool
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-02-2009, 03:08 AM
sticksnstonesrus's Avatar
sticksnstonesrus sticksnstonesrus is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Virignia Beach, Virginia
Posts: 762
Default Re: help finding a durable snare head?

A little late, but I've been testing out the Remo Black "X"...and while I've only had it on for a couple (three) weeks...I'm amazed about how it's held up. The problem I'm having, and thus why I know it hasn't worn practically at all...is the enormous overtones (ringing) that I can't kill. The "X" has a reverse dot and the bottom of the inside of the head is glossy and I believe the source of the ridiculous ring. Tight, loose, middle-range...just rings. Even with moongel, duct tape, a towel...

BUT...even after being tightened to the last thread of the lugs...beaten for a couple weeks, the head has retained that "new" bass note when struck with a finger in the center dot, when dangled by a finger.

Durable???...surprisingly for Remo, this is it.

I wonder how the Evans Onyx compares?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-02-2009, 04:19 AM
805Drummer's Avatar
805Drummer 805Drummer is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BEHIND YOU.
Posts: 1,451
Default Re: help finding a durable snare head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticksnstonesrus View Post
A little late, but I've been testing out the Remo Black "X"...and while I've only had it on for a couple (three) weeks...I'm amazed about how it's held up. The problem I'm having, and thus why I know it hasn't worn practically at all...is the enormous overtones (ringing) that I can't kill. The "X" has a reverse dot and the bottom of the inside of the head is glossy and I believe the source of the ridiculous ring. Tight, loose, middle-range...just rings. Even with moongel, duct tape, a towel...

BUT...even after being tightened to the last thread of the lugs...beaten for a couple weeks, the head has retained that "new" bass note when struck with a finger in the center dot, when dangled by a finger.

Durable???...surprisingly for Remo, this is it.

I wonder how the Evans Onyx compares?
I tried an Evans Onyx-equipped kit at Guitar Center yesterday, and I really liked the sound, especially the snare. It had a punchy, big, crack to it.
__________________
PDP 805 & Zildjian A
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-07-2009, 05:01 AM
Ainulindale's Avatar
Ainulindale Ainulindale is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,084
Default Re: help finding a durable snare head?

hey guys thanks for the help - picked up a coated Power Center Reverse Dot - and i am very impressed with the initial sound! it's every bit as sensitive as the G1, so just hoping it holds up a little better...

good drumming gentlemen!
__________________
question the media, sheep arent cool
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-07-2009, 02:15 PM
EvansPrez EvansPrez is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Mount Sinai, NY USA
Posts: 100
Default Re: help finding a durable snare head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ainulindale View Post
hey guys thanks for the help - picked up a coated Power Center Reverse Dot - and i am very impressed with the initial sound! it's every bit as sensitive as the G1, so just hoping it holds up a little better...

good drumming gentlemen!
Here is another suggestion for the future, the Evans EC1 Reverse Dot. It is a single ply 14mil head with a reverse center dot and the EC (edge control) ring.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 06:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com