DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 02-26-2009, 02:09 AM

Default What are the most durable drumsticks you know of?

I bought a pair of vic firth steve gadd signature drumsticks lastnight and was shocked to find out that they went from 10.75 to 13.99. In total, a pair of drumsticks came to 16.16. As much as that sucks, they broke tonight after not even two hours of use! After having a pair of vic firth's last me on average two and a half weeks, and a pair of promark rock sticks that I bought awhile ago last me a month and a half, I decided it was time to stop buying vic firth sticks.

So I would like to ask you, in your experience, what are the most durable drumsticks that are out on the market right now?

ps. I can only get either vater, vic firth, zildjian, or promark sticks.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:15 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: What are the most durable drumsticks you know of?

In my years, I have found Vater to be the most durable. I don't use them though, because I prefer the feel of Vic Firth.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:49 AM
TheArchitect

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjb63 View Post
I bought a pair of vic firth steve gadd signature drumsticks lastnight and was shocked to find out that they went from 10.75 to 13.99. In total, a pair of drumsticks came to 16.16. As much as that sucks, they broke tonight after not even two hours of use! After having a pair of vic firth's last me on average two and a half weeks, and a pair of promark rock sticks that I bought awhile ago last me a month and a half, I decided it was time to stop buying vic firth sticks.

So I would like to ask you, in your experience, what are the most durable drumsticks that are out on the market right now?

I have never broken a stick in 25 years. They are all pretty durable for me. These days I use Promark 7A's and Elvin Jones sig model for lighter playing and the VicFirth David Garibaldi sig stick for general purpose playing and occasionally the Erskine Ride Stick when appropriate
Old 02-26-2009, 04:20 AM

Silverfox has lasted me the longest personally. They use some kind of special coating called Duracrylix or something. Slippery though. I guess Ahead's aluminum sticks are probably pretty durable as well, but most people can't stand them. They feel weird.

/edit woops, just saw your P.S. Why only those brands?

www.myspace.com/ineptband
Old 02-26-2009, 09:09 AM

I've never had problems with Vic Firths(X5B) ever breaking but I have to admit that my Vater 5B are holding up pretty well.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:17 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasterbeat View Post
I've never had problems with Vic Firths(X5B) ever breaking but I have to admit that my Vater 5B are holding up pretty well.
I use the vic firths x5b. I love them....but i sometimes i litterally break them within minutes of playing.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:34 AM

For me vater vic firth promark and especially zildjian sticks just break like twigs when i play granted i hit extremely hard and play thrash metal i have found that the vater 5b nude sticks withstand the most beating. and also the vic firth 5b stands up pretty well. But i have found that another stick stands up the best. The los Cabos maple 5b and 5a sticks stand up like non other. Oh and i guess the ahead sticks stand up quite well just a litle awkward to play.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:44 PM
Pioneer Member

The most durable sticks, yet most disappointing I've seen are Vater sticks. The pairs I've had were not pitched the same, and were generally dead sounding, but they are still lasting even today. Promark sticks seem more durable than Vic Firth, but both are nice.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:39 PM

Promark is quite durable, especially the Oak Models but they are a little heavy.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:27 AM
michael drums

My Promarks hold up quite well despite my hard and heavy drumming. I've always played with power, and the 747s stick(no pun intended) with me through thick and thin! ;-)

Don't fix what ain't broke.

Oh, btw...They are the Japanese oaks.

Last edited by michael drums; 02-28-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:31 AM
Silver Member

I had a pair of Steve gadd signature sticks last me almost a year...and then only reason I ever gave up on them was because the bead started chipping.

I use Vic Firth's Steve Gadd and Jack DeJohnette models and only break them from extended use. i really don't see how anyone could hit so hard as to break a new stick within minutes. I would be scared of breaking heads or cymbals.

My Yamaha Kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showt...050#post287050
Old 02-27-2009, 05:06 AM
Gold Member

i play to hard most of the time, but my Promark 5B's hold up well - especially after a switch to nylon tips, should mention their Oaks are stupid tough, if you don't mind the extra weight...
Old 02-27-2009, 04:19 PM

I know you’re looking for other brands but the Los Cabos Red Hickory are as tough as nails.
http://www.loscabosdrumsticks.com/pr...t.php?cat=2720
Old 02-27-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondXheartbeat View Post
I had a pair of Steve gadd signature sticks last me almost a year...and then only reason I ever gave up on them was because the bead started chipping.

I use Vic Firth's Steve Gadd and Jack DeJohnette models and only break them from extended use. i really don't see how anyone could hit so hard as to break a new stick within minutes. I would be scared of breaking heads or cymbals.
I used to use steve gadd sticks all the time, but this pair snapped in hald after about an hour and a half of playing.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Administrator

I have used Vater, Vic Firth, ProMark, Regal Tip, and Zildjian. Will not buy Zildjian again, they are terrible. The Promark in my experience lasted not so long, and the Regal Tip and The Vader, and Vic Firth all seem to be made the same, or at least are as durable as one another.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:24 PM

I find that any of the Japanese Shira Kashi Oak Pro-Marks work excellent. I'm using Nylon 5A's right now and I love how I can have a lighter stick (well, not so much as hickory, but whatever) that still has really great durability. This is kinda off topic, but I also find the nylon tip on the 5A to sound spectacular.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:19 AM
Gold Member

I like the Vics but I seem to chip the tips way too fast. Since I switched to Promark hickorys they get ragged from rim shots before the tips chip. I also like the sound of the tip on cymbals.

My kid is a very heavy hitter and likes the Promark 747B oaks. He doesn't chip tips, either.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:27 AM
Gold Member

Ahead is the most durable, but out of wood brands I would go Regal Tip or Vater.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjb63 View Post

They broke in two hours? Yikes. I steer clear of any painted sticks because of how anal I am about checking the grain. I look at those painted sticks and think, hmm, what's hiding under that paint?? Anyway, the Steve Gadd's are 15 3/4" long, .550 diameter, barrel tip. Vater's 8A is close, 16" long, .555 diameter, barrel tip.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:44 PM

Say what you want about Zildjian, but their Travis Barker Signature Sticks are...well, I won't say indestructable, but picture, in your head, Travis Barker wailing away on his drums, smashing his cymbals so hard that they crack in half. While he may not be the best drummer ever, he knows damn well how to get the most noise out of his equipment.

I have a pair, and they are a pair of WEAPONS. Seriously, you know those big black sticks police officers have? They're like those, only you make music with them!
Old 03-01-2009, 12:57 AM

If you want a stronger stick play with softer hands.
Old 03-01-2009, 01:13 AM
michael drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monica McCoy View Post
Huh?

Who wants to play like a girl???!!! :-|

I sure don't!

Hee...hee... just kiddin'. I couldn't resist the opportunity. ;-)
Old 03-01-2009, 03:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenPastTen View Post
After significant forays into Ahead, Hornets, Pro-Mark, Vater, Vic Firth, and Zildjian, I have found several sticks that I would not hesitate to buy again. They include the following: Hornets 7A, Pro-Mark 707N and 707W (Ed Shaughnessey), Vic Firth Dave Weckl, and Vater Stewart Copeland. Vater proved to be the most durable hickory models while Pro-Mark's Japanese Oak were the most durable overall (while Ahead's aluminum/plastic hybrid is in a class of its own - although it's an unplayable class)
This is me from another thread. But it's still true.

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 03-01-2009, 03:35 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael drums View Post

Who wants to play like a girl???!!! :-|

There are lots of girls I'd like to play with. LIKE! I mean "play like." Whew! That was close.

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 03-03-2009, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Lots of people hit hard. There's nothing wrong with it...

www.myspace.com/ineptband
Old 03-10-2009, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blasterbeat View Post
well i play vic firth x5b and seam to be lasting for long time but i can see the top end is getting worn through:(
THE STICKS I USE
pro-mark dave lombrdo signature VERY VERY DURABLE!! not a scracth out of them bought them last year!! don't use them much though
zildjian 5a dip (purple and black) new sticks but seem to be standing very well
i use to play vic firth 3A which were the best sticks i p0layed unntil the blooming tip chipped :(:(:(:( i will have to get another pair!!!!!

so i would go with a VIC FIRTH 3A OR PRO-MARK DAVE LOMBARDO(2BX)

moose

p.s i hope you like heavy sticks?? lol
Old 03-12-2009, 06:33 PM
Pioneer Member

Consider ordering Trueline sticks on the Internet.

I have had a pair of their 5B wood and nylon, 2B and 2B Rebounds for almost two years. The 5Bs and 2Bs are showing some where but the Rebounds are amazing.

Trueline 2B Rebounds are the most durable stick I've ever played. They're not a funky stick but they're great for digging in and being heard.
Old 03-13-2009, 05:31 PM

Quote:
^^^^X2!^^^^^

I used to go through a set of stick per hour when I was learning. I found out after watching some video of me playing that I was chopping at my hi hats. Combo of not having a clue about playing and not having a clue about hi hat placement.

That said, 4 years later I am still chopping at them a bit, but my style has changed enough that I only go through a set of sticks a month or so, jamming twice a week for 3 hours, home practice for 4 to 5 hours a week and a gig every other weekend. Same Steve Gadds...

That said, I switched to these so I would stop breaking cymbals. Turns out that was bad technique as well... I still broke a new (warranty replacement at that) cymbal and then I went for my one and only lesson. Showed my friend what I could do, he gave me a few tips on what I was doing wrong, and I don't kill sticks anywhere near as often.

It was costing me 24 bux a jam/gig before on sticks. Thats down to 24 bucks a month or so (usually on the cheaper side but you get the idea).

This is a really helpful thread for me on another note. My local (45 miles away... I live in the country up here in Canada) store is not carrying the volume of stock they used to and Steve Gadd's are now a "not stocked" item. IF they get an order, they will bring in a brick, then when its gone, no stock till the next order. I am gonna have to find a new more commonly used stick for the area... Damn recession!!!!!

Joe

Last edited by canada_rokzz; 03-13-2009 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Bad spellzz
Old 03-08-2010, 10:24 PM

vater 5b have served me well for a while with a pair lasting probably 1-3 months. i practice 20 minutes most days. play gigs on average once a month and jam with my band a little less then that. they kind of chip round the middle though as my style seems to have developed into playing mostly rimshots xD im thinking of trying out those promark japanease white oak ones.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:18 PM
Silver Member

Sounds like every one has had similar experiences with Zildjians... would not buy ever again.

Not much exp. w/ Vic Firth's, but I have with Vater and PM's. I'm currently using (and have been for a few years now) the PM's, 5AN's, I found that even after my normal inspection at the store, Vater's would break more often than PM's, typically in that "I've only been playing them for an hour, how could they break?" period. Those that survive the "initial impact" seem to last just as long as the PM's. I've only broken 1 PM in the last maybe, 6 months?

EDIT: Not sure what Vater's policy is, but I've had PM offer to replace sticks that I feel were breaking prematurely, without question. As far as standing behind your product goes, this is kinda awesome and has been a big reason why I'm using them over Vater. (save now button is "Vote now"...)
Old 03-11-2010, 02:11 AM

I'm gonna put my vote in for the Pro Mark American Hickory. Stay away from those Zildjian sticks. While they make good cymbals, their sticks aren't all that great.

I've had my PM's for two years and just broke my first one
Old 03-11-2010, 03:20 AM

I'm not a heavy hitter so I don't break a lot of sticks. I'm only chiming in to say that you might want to consider buying sticks by the dozen. I've gotten many bricks of sticks on eBay for less than $4 per pair (Pro-Mark, Vic Firth, Vater, Ayotte). You should also check Atlanta Pro Percussion online. They sell both Pro-Mark and Vic Firth sticks by the dozen for $5.50 per pair.
Old 03-14-2010, 05:39 PM

http://www.xceldrumsticks.com/

With some added clear nail polish on the wood tips
Old 03-16-2010, 10:41 PM

I just picked up a pair of Promark Shira Kashi Oak sticks, the last pair that I really liked was Vic Firth 2B. I wanted to try a pair of Oak Promarks having never tried either and hearing from a bunch of people here that they're very durable, I'll let you all know how it goes.
Old 03-18-2010, 02:51 AM
Silver Member

I have used Regal Tip - Alex Van Halen - sticks for 20 years now. I hit HARD and do not break tips or sticks. These sticks are heavier and longer than all normal sticks (Hickory). Check them out....buy a pair to jam on and see the difference. However, I think most drummers will say "they are too heavy". The added length is amazing.

K

Zildjian--Mapex Saturn--Remo--DW 5000--Iron Cobra--Regal Tip AVH
Old 11-15-2011, 12:01 AM

Overall for durability? I like the Aqarian X-10's. The graphite-nylon alloy means theyre tough as nails and can take a good battering. However if you're looking at a wood stick I would recommend a pair of vic firths, whatever the size. I find them most durable.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:36 AM
Doctor Dirt

Hey Sync goat this thread is 8 months old, I'd guess the OP found sticks or turned to congas by now! Doc
Old 12-02-2011, 03:56 PM
Silver Member

My pro mark oaks last quite a beating before the wood tips finally fly off. Usually I can get 4-6 months of regular playing out of them before one stick breaks. Vic Firths I would break right and left. Vater felt like I was holding batons in my hand and kept slipping out during a fill.

Recently Guitar Center had some sticks on sale for their black friday promotion, I picked up four pair of Zildjian Z4Ns, they are maple and they are holding up well. I played about 3 hours last night with all my heart, and they still only look like they've been used for a half hour.

So I'd say Zildjian or Pro Mark, whichever is cheaper in your area.

Sabian AA, Meinl Byzance, Zildjian K
Old 12-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Gold Member

I have only broken one pair of sticks in my life, which was a super cheap (20 kronor ~ 3 dollar)

Stick just broke into two pieces... really weird! And it was during a faster jazz/swing beat, which made it funnier. :)

I've bought a pair of Amir ?uestlove Thompson's signature stick - superlight and long, with griptape, and white coated except for tip, and a pair of Benny Greb's 5B. Looking forward to give a review. Before I've played Steve Jordan's signature sticks, but they chipped (?). Still very good feel.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:11 PM
Gold Member

For me Vic Firth american classic 5bn seem to stand up better that anything else I have tried.