DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 02-28-2009, 01:52 AM
trkdrmr

Default Re: My Trick Aluminum kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by wloeb View Post
Yes that agrees with my experience. Mics pick up the drums differently than your ears do.
Close micing the pinstripes will bring back the openness and body. Overhead micing the single ply heads will make then sound darker.

Wayne
Cool! My preference, for some odd reason would be aquarian classic clears. I shall try them.
Old 02-28-2009, 01:58 AM
Platinum Member

I would agree w/ Wayne. I couldn't get a nice enough sound when close mic'ing w/ clear or coated ambs (using clear right now) - but I definitely had to move the mics closer w/ heads that had any sort of dampening (pinstripes, EC2, etc.) or it sounded like smacking cardboard.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:00 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
I would agree w/ Wayne. I couldn't get a nice enough sound when close mic'ing w/ clear or coated ambs (using clear right now) - but I definitely had to move the mics closer w/ heads that had any sort of dampening (pinstripes, EC2, etc.) or it sounded like smacking cardboard.
I called my local shop. They are setting aside some clear ambs for me. I'll snag them tomorrow.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:42 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
BTW: are you recording just fiddling with tension tuning, or did you use any moongel?
Old 02-28-2009, 04:18 AM
trkdrmr

I dashed out for dinner (pizza pipeline) and picked up a set of Aquarian classic clears. I got a better deal on those than remo or evans. I also happened across a jan/feb 1989 issue of "drums". It has ads and articles I haven't seen before. I am going to have to do some scans.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:00 AM
trkdrmr

The classic clears are on. I put clear response 2's on the roto toms.

The sound is definitely open, and I am getting more depth than I expected. I am going to do some recording tomorrow and see if the mics can hear what I can now.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
BTW: are you recording just fiddling with tension tuning, or did you use any moongel?
Nah, I don't muffle anything and I don't play pre-muffled heads. I wanna hear it all...every overtone, undertone, mid-tone and more.

My approach to recording is strictly organic - I try to capture my drums (mostly) the same way they sound in the room when I'm playing them. This forces me to tune better, also.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:14 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Nah, I don't muffle anything and I don't play pre-muffled heads. I wanna hear it all...every overtone, undertone, mid-tone and more.

My approach to recording is strictly organic - I try to capture my drums (mostly) the same way they sound in the room when I'm playing them. This forces me to tune better, also.
I am working toward that end. I just hope that the mics can hear the thunder than I am hearing in person, because they didn't with the pinstripes.

I am also going to experiment with the kick mic out front.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I am working toward that end. I just hope that the mics can hear the thunder than I am hearing in person, because they didn't with the pinstripes.

I just got a listen to that (didn't have headphones w/ me at work earlier today).

I didn't think it sounded bad, it just sounds like your mics are too far away from the toms. I'm sure you could find a great sound there w/ proper mic placement and tuning.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:28 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
I just got a listen to that (didn't have headphones w/ me at work earlier today).

I didn't think it sounded bad, it just sounds like your mics are too far away from the toms. I'm sure you could find a great sound there w/ proper mic placement and tuning.
Consider the condensers lowered >:)
Old 02-28-2009, 10:54 AM

Quote:

Remember, you said it. Pinstripes aren't evil. They just like close miking. I highly recommend that you try the recorderman mic position is you are not close miking.

Wayne
Old 02-28-2009, 05:49 PM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Remember, you said it. Pinstripes aren't evil. They just like close miking. I highly recommend that you try the recorderman mic position is you are not close miking.

Wayne
Yep, recalling "Dream Theater: Live at Budokan" Mike Portnoy's drums were individually mic'd close in.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:01 PM
trkdrmr

Ok, I have lowered the mics almost 1' below previous position. I also turned up the gain by 1/4.

I can't lower them any further without risking hitting them.

I am going to try some stuff this afternoon.
Old 02-28-2009, 09:08 PM

Try The recorderman method:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiFOD1EeKhQ
Old 02-28-2009, 09:11 PM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Try The recorderman method:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IiFOD1EeKhQ
Ok, that looks close to where mine are now. My condensers were *way* too high before. Now they hover just above the cymbals.

For your helpful suggestion, I reward you with a rarely seen 1989 photo of Greg Bissonette! :)
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2009, 09:50 PM
Silver Member

That is one of the funniest pics I've ever seen. However, it is an extremely accurate depiction of the times. You can almost smell the nearby splatter paint.

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 02-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Platinum Member

Holy hair-metal Batman! Gregg is a badass. :)

Hey tk - I posted some new clips on my Unix kit thread. Check 'em out for some bubinga snare sounds. You can also see how high I went w/ my overhead mics in the new pics.
Old 03-01-2009, 12:03 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Holy hair-metal Batman! Gregg is a badass. :)

Hey tk - I posted some new clips on my Unix kit thread. Check 'em out for some bubinga snare sounds. You can also see how high I went w/ my overhead mics in the new pics.
Gregg is either a badass, or he's getting ready for aerobics class ;)

I commented, great stuff! (still looking forward to paduoak)

I also think my gain was initially set too low. We shall see....
Old 03-01-2009, 04:51 AM
trkdrmr

Ok, I have ascertained the best sounding kick batter for this kit is the EMAD 2, no contest. The emad 1 and the ps/3 just didn't get the kick where I wanted it. The drum definitely has a fuller sound and excellent pedal response.

I feel like crap this evening, so I am going to do my housecleaning and recording tomorrow. Besides, Styx with the youth orchestra is on "palladium" HDTV right now. That bubinga finish masterwork that Todd Sucharman is playing looks most righteous!

Note to Zambizzi: My drum room is about 16x30, carpeted and with some heavy wall covering. It does not have a lot of reverberation or exaggerated highs.

Last edited by trkdrmr; 03-01-2009 at 05:19 AM.
Old 03-04-2009, 01:57 AM

My hats off to you sir, that is one sweet kit.
I really need to take a trick kit for a test drive.

Mike
Old 03-04-2009, 01:59 AM
trkdrmr

More pics in a couple weeks (maybe around the 20th). I'll have a compliment of new 2002 cymbals and a second kick.

I also wish stuff like this would be in GC...in a way, i am glad. Like stave, these kits are a well kept secret.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
More pics in a couple weeks (maybe around the 20th). I'll have a compliment of new 2002 cymbals and a second kick.

I also wish stuff like this would be in GC...in a way, i am glad. Like stave, these kits are a well kept secret.

They have them, just not in stock.
I've seen them in the magazines though.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:20 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal overlord View Post
They have them, just not in stock.
I've seen them in the magazines though.
I have seen a grand total of maybe 6 stores in the USA ever have a trick kit...not just snares or pedals.
Old 03-04-2009, 03:55 AM
Gold Member

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Trick-6-...47-i1387819.gc

that & smaller configs are the only ones they have, I have never actually seen on though (though I'd love to).
Old 03-04-2009, 04:01 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal overlord View Post
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Trick-6-...47-i1387819.gc

that & smaller configs are the only ones they have, I have never actually seen on though (though I'd love to).
Which stores? There seem to be none in any GC I ever walked into. There are a couple places in Florida that stock 4/5 pc shell packs on occasion. Pity, because the drums do everything right.

Last edited by trkdrmr; 03-04-2009 at 04:11 AM.
Old 03-18-2009, 04:10 AM

Welcome to the trick family! I saw your bit on the trick web site.
Here are a few pix of my kit.

forgive me if I don't reply to further posts, I don't have much free time anymore!
p.s. I scaled down my cymbals as well.
p.p.s. when you get some money check out some of the other metal snares they make.. the copper one is killer!
Old 03-18-2009, 08:58 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by sXeDanimalsXe View Post
Welcome to the trick family! I saw your bit on the trick web site.
Here are a few pix of my kit.

forgive me if I don't reply to further posts, I don't have much free time anymore!
p.s. I scaled down my cymbals as well.
p.p.s. when you get some money check out some of the other metal snares they make.. the copper one is killer!
That blue just KILLS!!!! Makes me wish I had gone that route. I wish you had more time to discuss trick, because I've only had my kit a few weeks now.
Very nice kit!!!
Old 03-24-2009, 10:02 AM
trkdrmr

Update: kick drum #2 a little behind schedule. Trick had to build more hoops. They are powder coating mine now. (Clear powder coating). One more week--10 days.

Also, I am about a week away (or less) from 14" paiste sig se hats and 22" sig power ride.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Update: kick drum #2 a little behind schedule. Trick had to build more hoops. They are powder coating mine now. (Clear powder coating). One more week--10 days.

Also, I am about a week away (or less) from 14" paiste sig se hats and 22" sig power ride.
Your going to like the sig se hats. They are much heavier than the 2002 version, but still have a great sound to go with the volume.

Noble & Cooley Horizon Reissue, Craviotto Solid Maple 4-Piece
Old 03-24-2009, 06:49 PM
Gold Member

WOW Trkdrmr,

I am behind the times somehow missing your initial post of this AWESOME looking kit...WHOA...congrats on that you deserve it after your time in danger!!!! Thanks for serving and thanks for sharing your drums with us.
Old 03-24-2009, 07:10 PM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hateplow View Post
Your going to like the sig se hats. They are much heavier than the 2002 version, but still have a great sound to go with the volume.
I compared them in a store head to head with my 2002 se's. The sigs definitely "edged" them out. Not just with the powerful and cutting "chick" sound, but hitting the top hat open, you could hear that trademark silvery shimmer. They *slaughtered* my a-customs.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:07 PM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumhead61 View Post
WOW Trkdrmr,

I am behind the times somehow missing your initial post of this AWESOME looking kit...WHOA...congrats on that you deserve it after your time in danger!!!! Thanks for serving and thanks for sharing your drums with us.
Thanks, but mine is only the brushed aluminum...not the dazzling blue kit... ;)

More pics in a couple weeks...
Old 03-26-2009, 04:25 AM
Silver Member

Great kit!! Truly different and unique! A few questions...I work in an aluminum extrusion plant and am wondering if you know what alloy the shells are? We are putting in a new 5500 ton extrusion press capable of extruding a 16" diameter pipe. Maybe I should try to snag some different size pipes and build a bop kit.

What are the thickness of the shells? A very interesting kit indeed!
Old 03-26-2009, 04:28 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumr0 View Post
Great kit!! Truly different and unique! A few questions...I work in an aluminum extrusion plant and am wondering if you know what alloy the shells are? We are putting in a new 5500 ton extrusion press capable of extruding a 16" diameter pipe. Maybe I should try to snag some different size pipes and build a bop kit.

What are the thickness of the shells? A very interesting kit indeed!
The shells are 3mm. Trick will not specify the alloy.
Old 03-26-2009, 05:42 AM
Gold Member

Hey Trick,
I just finally browsed through this thread. Sweet kit man!

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Old 03-26-2009, 05:45 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
Hey Trick,
I just finally browsed through this thread. Sweet kit man!
I think I'd rather have fiberglass to tell you the truth. I just couldn't find an American company that made any. (Impac was...umm.. "confused")

From the recordings and Smoke n drums kit, FG and aluminum are not far apart. FG (in person anyway) has a bit more sparkle on the high end. I can't complain, both make for awesome tonality and power.

I will post updated pics maybe by the 1st week of April.
Old 03-26-2009, 03:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
The shells are 3mm. Trick will not specify the alloy.
Interesting. We run different size pipes all of the time. I never thought about making drums out of them though..hmmm. Interesting that the alloy is a secret too. There are so many different ones. We only use 6063 (standard architectual grade) and 6005 (hybrid aircraft aluminum) and occasionally 6061 which is aircraft aluminum.

I don't know if we could pull off 3mm walls though. Maybe 4mm.

I'll have to watch for some pipes to come out. Another thing is that I could make the shells as deep as I want too. We typically ship the to the customer in 24' legnths.

What about the bearing edges on yours?
Old 03-26-2009, 10:33 PM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumr0 View Post
Interesting. We run different size pipes all of the time. I never thought about making drums out of them though..hmmm. Interesting that the alloy is a secret too. There are so many different ones. We only use 6063 (standard architectual grade) and 6005 (hybrid aircraft aluminum) and occasionally 6061 which is aircraft aluminum.

I don't know if we could pull off 3mm walls though. Maybe 4mm.

I'll have to watch for some pipes to come out. Another thing is that I could make the shells as deep as I want too. We typically ship the to the customer in 24' legnths.

What about the bearing edges on yours?
The 6061 alloy is probably the closest, since Mike Dorfman has used the phrase "aircraft grade alloy" in the past. The bearing edges are razor sharp and I don't have my protractor handy, but it would be hard to tell since 3mm is a very narrow surface to start with. They probably had to do something more acute than 45 degrees.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:03 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I think I'd rather have fiberglass to tell you the truth. I just couldn't find an American company that made any. (Impac was...umm.. "confused")

From the recordings and Smoke n drums kit, FG and aluminum are not far apart. FG (in person anyway) has a bit more sparkle on the high end. I can't complain, both make for awesome tonality and power.

I will post updated pics maybe by the 1st week of April.
Impact definitely makes fiberglass drums. Fiberglass drums sound really, really good. As you say, lots of tone, power and ear-raping projection if you lay into them. I have some Fiberglass hand percussion.

Wanted to know: Aluminum scratches fairly easily. Is that a concern with your Tricks? Is there a way to harden the exterior?
Old 03-27-2009, 01:39 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Impact definitely makes fiberglass drums. Fiberglass drums sound really, really good. As you say, lots of tone, power and ear-raping projection if you lay into them. I have some Fiberglass hand percussion.

Wanted to know: Aluminum scratches fairly easily. Is that a concern with your Tricks? Is there a way to harden the exterior?
These are pretty tough, they have a very thick industrial powder coat, which is the clear finish you see.

They aren't stave or solid wood, but there is no glue... ;)

I contacted Impac after hearing my friends FG kit last year. I contacted them AGAIN before I ordered my trick kit. They responded the same way in both instances. "We are unsure at this time what hardware we are going to use...etc etc.." So they have been out of it for at least a year now.