DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 02-20-2009, 08:28 AM

Default Try to convert double pedal to single or buy new single?

Hello drummers, this is my first post on this forum after googling my question and stumbling upon this site. My dilema is that I just bought a used 18 inch bass drum from my old drumset teacher and I have a double bass drum pedal which attacks the head slightly off-centered.

I would like to be able to hit the head in the center of the drum, but in order to do so I would have to buy some minor pedal accessories (spring, beater holder link, beater angle cam, key bolt) to make my left pedal function as a single pedal.

I am also open to the idea of getting a new single pedal, most likely a DW 9000, since it's like playing on air, but I am also open to the idea of saving money.

So if anyone has any advice, I would most appreciate it. Thanks for reading!
Old 02-20-2009, 02:38 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Try to convert double pedal to single or buy new single?

What kind of pedal are you playing now?

I'm all for mods but I think if you had to go through all that to get it to work and you ever wanted to use it as a double pedal again it would be a pain to swap back and forth.

IF and this is only a question you can answer, you have the money I'd probably keep your current pedal for a double and buy a new one. DW9000 is an awesome pedal, might check e-bay or craigslist to see if you can save a few bucks and get one used.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:09 PM
Silver Member

Just take off the slave pedal, and make a couple of wedges from lumber, so that you can place the pedal base off-center enough to center the beater. I have to do the opposite with my double: it centers the main beater, which puts the slave 1-1/2" or so off center. I don't like the different attack sounds, so I mount the pedal a bit to the right of the center of the hoop.
Old 02-20-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
What kind of pedal are you playing now?

I'm all for mods but I think if you had to go through all that to get it to work and you ever wanted to use it as a double pedal again it would be a pain to swap back and forth.

IF and this is only a question you can answer, you have the money I'd probably keep your current pedal for a double and buy a new one. DW9000 is an awesome pedal, might check e-bay or craigslist to see if you can save a few bucks and get one used.
The double pedal is the Pearl Eliminator (P-2000). I'm satisfied with it as far as double bass goes. But it probably would be a pain to switch them back and forth for use as a single