DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 06-20-2009, 05:30 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: THE last time I ever buy Aquarian Drum Heads

Well so far I've only had 1 good Aquarian and that was a Modern Vintage head. It lasted a long time and sounded great, but it worked just like a normal coated head, which hardly justified the almost double cost of say a coated ambassador. I had 4 bad Aquarians about 2 years ago and then this recent bunch with all the problems. All coincidentally have been Texture Coated heads. Maybe their specialty Performance 2s, Superkicks and so on are made better. The only sad part is that I'm stuck with a whole set of the things. I originally had the Texture Coated heads on tops and bottoms and the 2 bass. Well I've put the Evans G1s back on the bottoms and the EMAD2 back on the bass batter. I've just got that extra set of TC heads now, but after that I think I might try Black Suede heads on that kit. I'm not sure what happened to the normal suede heads (black just would look terrible on my kit[Mapex "blue ice" blue to white fade]) but no one seems to stock them. But hey, if they sound nice they would be worth it.
Old 06-20-2009, 08:23 AM

I think it would be a much better idea to put a Superkick on the bass drum than whatever you had on there. All in all, the Superkick series is going to be much closer to the EMAD series than what you had on there. It doesn't matter what company you buy heads from, there's going to be good ones for a particular style and ones that wouldn't work well for that style. With that said, Chris Adler, the drummer of Lamb of God, absolutely pummels his Aquarian heads night after night on tours. I'm pretty sure he wouldn't continue to endorse them if he felt they were prone to breaking too often. Not only that but I think the sounds of his drums/drumheads are awesome.
Old 06-21-2009, 03:04 AM
Pioneer Member

The point was that the heads sounded like paper and are starting to behave that way too. I don't want muffled drum heads, as I want a nice vintage open sound which I should have been able to get with wide open coated heads. The texture coated heads I had a couple of years ago were fine except for the coating "guaranteed to not chip" was the only coating that I have ever seen chip away. People have numerous successes with regular coated Remos (other than Remo is now notorious for the coating wearing down quite fast) so I think I know where to go from here. If you have quality Aquarian heads, that is wonderful, I'm just saying that I personally will not gamble on them in the future, being as I've tried the "Satin" version and the Z-100 models of the coated classics and all were terrible disasters. One good head out of seventeen is not a good history for me.
Old 06-23-2009, 07:00 AM

I understand where you are coming from, but my point is that any company can supply heads that turn out to be crap. Let us just hope that these are simply instances of a slip through quality control. I've had issues with Remo in the past, in particular with the emperor series. Two of my 3 tom heads (12 and 14 inches) went basically dead after a week and I tried to tune them back up but they would never get back to the good sound I had originally. Since I worked at a music shop and had access to the heads at a cheaper price, I decided to give Remo another run. The next time, I bought a full set of the black suede ambassadors, which were new on the market at the time. I put them on my drums and wasn't particularly impressed with the sound or the fact that I spent forever trying to get them in tune...they sounded alright but too dry to me. Well about 1 month later, they started to sound even more lifeless. That wasn't 1 month of playing them a lot, I played on my drums about 5 times in that period of time. Either way you look at it, I switched back to Evans G1s and have had no problems of tuning or dead sounding heads after almost 3 months. I still have a coated ambassador on one of my snares and it still sounds great. I've heard other similar stories on this forum about Remo 2-ply heads not living up to their 1-ply heads consistency. I'm not saying I won't play on Remo ever again but it certainly wont be black suedes and I'm somewhat leary of emperors.