DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-30-2009, 01:06 AM
Silver Member

Default Yamaha hi hat stand/kick pedal question.

Hey all I'm looking to pick up a hihat stand and was wondering what you guys thought of the Yamaha HS1100, its the two legged double braced kind. I'm currently using a tama roadpro and I want to convert my hardware to Yamaha to match my kit.
Would this be a serious upgrade roadpro to hs1100 or are these stands fairly equal in quality and performance.
Roughly, how much would a used hs1100 go for? Assuming it was in good condition.

Also, I wanna dump my iron cobra single for a Yamaha fp-9315, are these pedals in the same league or would I be downgrading. How much would a good condition fp9315 go for?

Once I complete the kick pedal and hihat stand i"m moving on to cymbal stands (yamana of course) any suggestions? I was thinking of single braced for a lighter load?

thanks
Old 01-30-2009, 04:16 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Yamaha hi hat stand/kick pedal question.

The really big difference in the hi-hat stand is 2 leg vs. 3 leg. As for the pedal have you played the Yamaha one you mentioned? That's the real deciding factor it looks like a nice pedal but only your feet can tell you if it's the right one for you.

Is the only reason you are replacing your hardware because you want it to say yamaha? Don't get me wrong I play yamaha and am a big fan of their hardware but that can get pricey. Btw my hardware consists of DW, Gibraltar and Yamaha. Not really worried about everything being yamaha, only thing that HAS to be is their tom mounts with the hex rod those are the bomb!
Old 01-30-2009, 02:43 PM
Silver Member

No, I haven't played the fp9315 but I have played a lower end yamaha kick pedal and I liked it. It's more sensitive and lighter on the foot which I like. (compared to the cobra).
As far as the hihat stand would the 2 legged Yamaha be sturdy enough? I've heard people complain that it would move back and forth on them, but this also depends on the drummer too.
As far as The tama (hihat/kick pedal) as I am developing more and more I'm finding them very bulky and in the way so to speak. It's difficult to explain what I'm feeling but lets just say that this holds true more for the hihat stand than the kick pedal. The hihat feels choppy without any real flow to it. I've heard that the yamaha hs1100 is the exact opposite, it is smooth and sensitive.
As far as Yamaha hardware being expensive I am aware of that, but I am not going out and buying it all in one shot, I'm building slowly, mostly looking at the resale market/discontinued new stock and holding off until I find the right deal. Even if it takes me a year to complete the hardware that's ok. I'm not in a hurry.

The main reason I want the hardware to be Yamaha is because Yamaha makes great hardware, secondly, why not have hardware match my kit?
high quality hardware for a high quality kit.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:00 PM
Silver Member

Hi there,

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggo32 View Post
As far as the hihat stand would the 2 legged Yamaha be sturdy enough? I've heard people complain that it would move back and forth on them, but this also depends on the drummer too.
Don't be fooled by the fact it has a leg less than its counterparts, the stand is very sturdy. There are spurs that can come out of the rubber legs and you even have a removable patch at the bottom of the heel plate that reveals Velcro so it stays put on carpets. I've had it for years and it has never moved around during gigs or practice. Also concerning the feel, the pedal has a regulator for the spring so you can adjust it to your taste.

About the stands, some may not agree, but I'm one who thinks it's better to get double braced stands. They are a bit heavier to haul around but they will not budge. I've even had my guitarist trip backwards on one during a show and it saved him from falling (although the cymbal kinda hurt!)

Finally, in regards to the kick pedals, these are things you must try out for yourself to see if they suit you. They are buy no means a downgrade, just an alternative to the Cobras. Only you can tell if they are good for you.

Hope this helps and good luck in your search. :)

Regards,
Chris.
Old 01-31-2009, 02:00 AM
Pioneer Member

I've played a 2 legged HH stand for 12 years without a single problem, it's as sturdy if not sturdier than a 3 legged stand.Only way I could see it "wobbling" is if you have the legs turned to a 90* angle or something so that it doesn't have proper balance but you'd have to have a strange setup to get it like that!
Old 02-11-2009, 04:20 AM
Gold Member

I just bought a Yamaha FP9310 (Flying dragon) single pedal. I compared it to DW 5000 accelerator, Tama Iron cobra and find it (for me) to be more responsive and actually better constructed! I am with you with Yamaha hardware! It is some of the best made stuff out there today! IMO
Old 02-15-2009, 10:13 PM

I play an HS1100 and it's stable, smooth, and HEAVY. I like the independent pedal height & tension adjustments.
I'm looking for a lighter gig stand (maybe a Yamaha HS740, undecided) so I don't have to tote this monster.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggo32 View Post
The main reason I want the hardware to be Yamaha is because Yamaha makes great hardware, secondly, why not have hardware match my kit?
high quality hardware for a high quality kit.
Does the hardware you have not do the job? I think you're better off buying extra cymbals instead of paying for the Yamaha name. Even other drummers don't care if you have all matching gear, you're only doing it for yourself, so if that's what you want...