DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 01-28-2009, 04:42 AM
trkdrmr

Default Monitors or headphones?

A couple of products that blew me away for the money...and raised a question:

What do you like mixing with---loudspeakers or headphones?

Here are a couple examples: Dynaudio active monitors BM12A ($995) and Denon AH-7000 ($675) headphones.

Both provide a very uncolored (neutral sounding) and blissfully detailed output.

Given options like these, which would you prefer to use to monitor your mix and why?
Old 01-28-2009, 04:47 AM

Default Re: Monitors or headphones?

I like to use headphones.
The reason being that with a speaker, even if it is high quality, it is often hard to hear the nuances of the music over the drums without turning the music up really loud.
At least in my experience.
If you get headphones that isolate, it reduces the volume of the kit, and it allows you to listen to the music at a more comfortable level.
This really helps if you're using click tracks too.
That is in studio or in a small area.
But if I'm playing outside at a gig, the drums are not so loud, and I prefer the monitor because you can feel the music better.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:28 AM

Trkdrmr. Do you mean for stage use like an inner ear monitor vs. a floor wedge or to actually mix several tracks a recording in a studio?
Old 01-28-2009, 05:33 AM
Platinum Member

When mixing, I like to use both.

I have a pair of isolation headphones I bought for drumming, but because I use them so much in practice and recording, I'm so used to their sound, I actually find mixing with them helpful, even if it does go against the so-called "rules" of mixing.

As to why:

You need hear a mix with "air" to see how different tones travel, thus you need speakers, but w/ headphones is helpful to get a feel for what it's like up close. Some people are going to be listening with headphones (via ipod, etc) and others via speakers, so might as well see how both experiences are going to be perceived.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:08 PM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numberonefan View Post
Trkdrmr. Do you mean for stage use like an inner ear monitor vs. a floor wedge or to actually mix several tracks a recording in a studio?
Oops, you are right, I didn't properly specify.

Imagine sitting at a pc or console to mix the music or just the drum track. I didn't mean for live work.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:47 PM
Platinum Member

For studio work, both. Isolation headphones are great for mixing since you can seperate yourself from the source, however they can be misleading. There are things you won't hear in the headphones that you will with the speakers. Stuff like bass definition, stereo image etc... are a lot different in headphones than in speakers. Personally i like to record using headphones then mix using speakers otherwise i end up putting too much bass in my recordings.

EHs Music Facebook Page