DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-19-2009, 08:03 PM
nife nife is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12
Default who is better TIGHTSCREW OR BOLT TIGHT???

just get this problem as every one else that plays in rimshot, after 5 minutes playing the screw start to loose up...
so i look up in the internet found about this two products... tightscrew.. wha. if u change your heads constantly u gonna notice that it loses its tightness ....
and the other product bolt tight... but couldnt find any review in the internet just wondering do they really work????
they look easier to adapt and i think maybe will last longer too..

now i have this doubt which one should i get???

Last edited by Bernhard; 01-22-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-20-2009, 03:37 AM
sticksnstonesrus's Avatar
sticksnstonesrus sticksnstonesrus is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Virignia Beach, Virginia
Posts: 762
Default Re: who is better TIGHTSCREW OR BOLT TIGHT???

Quote:
Originally Posted by nife View Post
just get this problem as every one else that plays in rimshot, after 5 minutes playing the screw start to loose up...
so i look up in the internet found about this two products... tightscnge your heads constantly u gonna notice that it loses its tightness ....
and the other product bolt tight... but couldnt find any review in the internet just wondering do they really work????
they look easier to adapt and i think maybe will last longer too..

now i have this doubt which one should i get???
Start here. - http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24496

Second. I use Tightscrews on my snare only. Changed many heads by now. Still work like the day I got them.

Last edited by Bernhard; 01-22-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-20-2009, 03:39 AM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: who is better TIGHTSCREW OR BOLT TIGHT???

Quote:
Originally Posted by nife View Post
just get this problem as every one else that plays in rimshot, after 5 minutes playing the screw start to loose up...
so i look up in the internet found about this two products... tightscrew.. what seems to XXX up... if u change your heads constantly u gonna notice that it loses its tightness ....
and the other product bolt tight... but couldnt find any review in the internet just wondering do they really work????
they look easier to adapt and i think maybe will last longer too..

now i have this doubt which one should i get???
Please don't use that kind of language around here.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-21-2009, 06:13 PM
nife nife is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12
Default Re: who is better TIGHTSCREW OR BOLT TIGHT???

yeah ok but the thing is about bolt tight??
any idea if that is good??? really works??? is it better than tightscrew????
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-21-2009, 06:23 PM
KarlCrafton's Avatar
KarlCrafton KarlCrafton is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,507
Default Re: who is better TIGHTSCREW OR BOLT TIGHT???

No idea about Bolt Tight, but I have Tight Screws on a few of my snares and they work great.

No loss of holding power at all---I've changed a lot of heads like sticksnstonesrus.
I've had them almost a year now, not problems at all.

The drum stays where you set it.

After a while, the head film does get slackened by beating on it, so once in a while I'll give it a tweak, but that's after maybe a week or so of playing, not after every song or two.

I think the Tight Screws are a great product and they really work.
They aren't expensive either.
__________________
My band Artificial Agent here: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116637
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-21-2009, 07:37 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,049
Default Re: who is better TIGHTSCREW OR BOLT TIGHT???

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
No idea about Bolt Tight, but I have Tight Screws on a few of my snares and they work great.

No loss of holding power at all---I've changed a lot of heads like sticksnstonesrus.
I've had them almost a year now, not problems at all.

The drum stays where you set it.

After a while, the head film does get slackened by beating on it, so once in a while I'll give it a tweak, but that's after maybe a week or so of playing, not after every song or two.

I think the Tight Screws are a great product and they really work.
They aren't expensive either.
Thanks for the info Karl - I may have to outfit my Unix w/ these suckers all-around. These quick-release lugs don't seem to stay tuned as long as conventional lugs.

Do they complicate tuning for you at all? Are they "stiff" while you turn them?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-21-2009, 08:17 PM
KarlCrafton's Avatar
KarlCrafton KarlCrafton is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Detroit, Michigan
Posts: 4,507
Default Re: who is better TIGHTSCREW OR BOLT TIGHT???

Zam,
There is a stiffness.

If you are used to finger tightening, or spinning the rod down and going from there, it's totally different with these rods.

You have to turn them every step of the way.
That's the ONLY "bad" thing about them.
They do get easier to turn after a few uses, but they don't (or haven't yet--about a year) loose any holding strength.

I use a cordless drill and a key rod insert to get mine to where it touches the rim and use a key after that.

Since I've put them on the snares, I haven't had to worry about messing with them at all--unless I wanted to change the sound a bit.

I wouldn't say they complicate tuning, they just make it take a little longer because of the stiffness, and it takes a little getting used to.
__________________
My band Artificial Agent here: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116637

Last edited by KarlCrafton; 01-21-2009 at 08:19 PM. Reason: added
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-21-2009, 09:44 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,049
Default Re: who is better TIGHTSCREW OR BOLT TIGHT???

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
Zam,
There is a stiffness.

If you are used to finger tightening, or spinning the rod down and going from there, it's totally different with these rods.

You have to turn them every step of the way.
That's the ONLY "bad" thing about them.
They do get easier to turn after a few uses, but they don't (or haven't yet--about a year) loose any holding strength.

I use a cordless drill and a key rod insert to get mine to where it touches the rim and use a key after that.

Since I've put them on the snares, I haven't had to worry about messing with them at all--unless I wanted to change the sound a bit.

I wouldn't say they complicate tuning, they just make it take a little longer because of the stiffness, and it takes a little getting used to.
Excellent, thanks man! I had a snare like that (must have had some sort of built-in de-tuning prevention) - I found it easy to get used to.

This is good news! I was contemplating *maybe* replacing the lugs, which would have cost much, much more.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-21-2009, 09:54 PM
drumtechdad's Avatar
drumtechdad drumtechdad is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anytown, USA
Posts: 1,107
Default Re: who is better TIGHTSCREW OR BOLT TIGHT???

As Karl says, they are tight, and that changes things.

It's important to be careful to get the head on evenly; that's something you could do by feel before, while bringing the rods to finger-tight. There's no finger-tight anymore. So you have to pay attention.

And to the OP, if you would like a comparison of products such as these, it would be useful to include a link. Most drummers know about tightscrews (there's even a recent thread) but as you can see, no one has heard of Bolt Tight, so no one can give you an opinion.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-22-2009, 09:05 AM
nife nife is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 12
Default Re: who is better TIGHTSCREW OR BOLT TIGHT???

ok here are the links
tight screw:
http://stores.tightscrew.com/StoreFront.bok

bolt tight:
http://www.canopusdrums.com/en/other...ght/index.html
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-22-2009, 01:32 PM
drumtechdad's Avatar
drumtechdad drumtechdad is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anytown, USA
Posts: 1,107
Default Re: who is better TIGHTSCREW OR BOLT TIGHT???

Thanks for the link! Interesting product--supposed to influence the sound, too. I'd love to hear from someone who's used them.

If the issue is tension rod detuning, there is yet another alternative: lug locks.

Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-22-2009, 02:46 PM
sticksnstonesrus's Avatar
sticksnstonesrus sticksnstonesrus is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Virignia Beach, Virginia
Posts: 762
Default Re: who is better TIGHTSCREW OR BOLT TIGHT???

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumtechdad View Post
Thanks for the link! Interesting product--supposed to influence the sound, too. I'd love to hear from someone who's used them.

If the issue is tension rod detuning, there is yet another alternative: lug locks.
I used (tried to) lug locks. No worky. They will spin too if you hit hard enough. They did however deter the loosening somewhat.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 04:05 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com