DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 01-30-2009, 10:34 PM
Silver Member

Default Photography Equipment

I know some of you drummers are also into photography. Let's face it, what's more fun then taking pictures of your drumset besides jamming on it. Some of you have gone to great lengths to take stunning photos of your drumsets too!!

I have recently purchased a Nikon D-40 DSLR with the 18-55mm lens kit. I will admit that I am a beginner and still do not understand all of the photography lingo, but I am learning. I have run through several point and shoot cameras, but have always wanted a more substantial one.

Now that I have had it for a few months I have noticed that not only do I take pictures more often, I also take many more at one time than I used too.

For example, at my sons birthday party in 2007 I may have taken 30-40 with my old Olympus point and shoot. I took 130 with my Nikon at his birthday party in 2008.

Is this normal as you evolve into nicer equipment? What type of photography equipment do you use?
Old 01-30-2009, 10:48 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Photography Equipment

Yes indeed. its like any other hobby. I am on my third or fourth digital after many years of using my Minolta SLR 35mm. I sold that camera to my sister and then when she died about 1.5 years ago I reclaimed it. I had 3 long lenses for it and didn't want them to go to waste so I looked for a camera with the same mount as the Minolta and found out that the Sony Alpha 100 and 200 both have the same mount through an agreement with Sony and Konica Minolta. So I bought the Alpha 100 for 499.00 and I'm now able to use the lenses with it. Nothng better than a digital camera with a 300 mm lens. It needs a tripod or a whole lot of light not to blur but it works great. Like drums and needing more cymbals you will find a "need" for more lenses or filters. So when you aren't shooting the drums, kids, or whatever just go out and look around. For some reason when you have a camera in your hand you start to see more things and all things from a different perspective. I also have a small Casio Exilim that goes wherever I go. Then there is my cell phone. You will take more photos since you don't have to worry about buying film. I took 118 shots one night trying to get a shot of the lighning. I got 18 good ones out of that. Bad shots, delete, and move on. Also make use of the sequence shot system. Hold down the shutter and let it rip. 25 or 30 shots at once of something moving. You are bound to get a couple of good ones. Have fun.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:41 PM

My issue with photography is my attitude to using laptops.

I love using the camera, (which after-all is A computer with a lens) & really try to push it to it's limits. I also like the fact that I can produce my photos from start to finish, but I dislike using /looking at laptop screens. So Photoshop bores me. I'm rarely on a pc or Mac for more that 30 mins unless I really need to.
I'd much rather read a book.

I have a Nikon D 100 SLR with grip.
It's a dinosaur by today's standards but there's enough pixels for me & it's JUST fast enough. The only thing is accessing WB & ISO requires turning a dial as apposed to pushing a button. That slows things down.

But I've grown to like it & if I get a D700 or D3 in the future I'll still keep the D100 as backup.
I wouldn't want to sell it & no-one wants old (5 year) technology anyway.
Old 01-31-2009, 04:17 PM
Platinum Member

I shoot with a Nikon D80 and a couple of different lenses. A couple of places that are a gold-mine for photographers are the popphoto.com forums and the nikonians.org website. I would highly recommend the book " Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson (maybe at your local library) Have fun fellow drummer and Nikon user !
Old 01-31-2009, 05:51 PM

I love photography, been into it for over 20 years. Was lucky enough to do it in the military as well. I got a Canon 40d last year and love it. I use a variety of lenses with it, depending on the situation. Concert photography is one of my favorites. You can check out some of my work here-

http://www.electriceyes.us/
Old 02-01-2009, 02:38 AM
Silver Member

Some good responses, I really appreciate it.

GruntersDad, That Sony sounds like a very nice camera. I have set my camera on continuous shooting to capture the action shots and do get a few good shots out of several. I would love to get a 300 mm lens for mine before my daughter softball season starts.

Jeremy: Thanks for the links. I will check them out. I have been on a few different sites, but most are just to deep for me.

Baddstuff: I checked out your site. Some great concert shots indeed.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:51 AM

thanks drumr0. I wish I had more photos of drummers but those are probably the hardest to get. I take my camera everytime I go to a show and shoot away, no flash of course. I get to enjoy some good music and have photos to remember the show by. Pretty sweet.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:26 AM

when shooting concerts with available light do you like the 85 1.8? or 100 2.0? i have a canon 135 2.0 which i have not tried at concerts but the bouquet is very nice and the shallow depth of field captures the focal point with crisp, etched sharpness. a 2.8 zoom would offer more photo options for sure even if it is not as fast.
Old 02-01-2009, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFocus View Post
when shooting concerts with available light do you like the 85 1.8? or 100 2.0? i have a canon 135 2.0 which i have not tried at concerts but the bouquet is very nice and the shallow depth of field captures the focal point with crisp, etched sharpness. a 2.8 zoom would offer more photo options for sure even if it is not as fast.
I usually take three lenses with me, 28-105mm f35.-4.5, 85mm f1.8 and a 50mm f1.8, all Canon. I may use all three or just one, it all depends on my location. Available stage light is tricky because as the lights change so does the exposure so there really isn't a fixed exposure setting. I do still manage to get my shots though.

I should mention that one reason I shoot without flash is because I am there as a paying customer, not a working pro with a pass. Plus, I like to shoot a lot and don't want to blind the performers with constant flash. And some performers don't like flash. It's a challenge but I usually get what I'm after, and it's fun!

oh, just as an FYI, the word you're after is BOKEH, not bouquet. :)