DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 01-18-2009, 12:36 PM

Default Phil "Philthy Animal" Taylor

Sorry if there's already a thread, I searched and didn't find anything. Anyway, Phil was the drummer of Motörhead from 1975-1984 and 1987-1992. He grooves like hell, he was a pioneer of the double-bass sound and he looks like Dave Lister. What's not to love?
Old 01-20-2009, 04:06 PM

Default Re: Phil "Philthy Animal" Taylor

Negative: Ever see the video to "Ace of Spades"? He doesn't even come close to playing it right. There are all these drum rolls and he's just pounding away on the snare. It's possible the video maker just dubbed the song over top of Motorhead playing something else, but it's a painful video to watch the drummer (though Lemmy and Eddie look good), but I dont like watching Phil in that video...and yes Motorhead rules.
Old 01-20-2009, 07:26 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwolf68 View Post
Negative: Ever see the video to "Ace of Spades"? He doesn't even come close to playing it right. There are all these drum rolls and he's just pounding away on the snare. It's possible the video maker just dubbed the song over top of Motorhead playing something else, but it's a painful video to watch the drummer (though Lemmy and Eddie look good), but I don't like watching Phil in that video...and yes Motorhead rules.
Seriously, it's just a video. That hardly has anything to do with his playing now, does it?

I like Phil's playing- it swings hard and was often filled with little weird unconventional things or 'techniques' that came from him being self taught. Plus, though his playing was declining in the 'Rock and Roll' period, he knew when to play a lot of notes (i.e. 'One to Sing the Blues') and hardly any (i.e. the flams in 'We Are The Road Crew'.)

G
Old 01-23-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzgregg View Post
Seriously, it's just a video. That hardly has anything to do with his playing now, does it?

I like Phil's playing- it swings hard and was often filled with little weird unconventional things or 'techniques' that came from him being self taught. Plus, though his playing was declining in the 'Rock and Roll' period, he knew when to play a lot of notes (i.e. 'One to Sing the Blues') and hardly any (i.e. the flams in 'We Are The Road Crew'.)

G
Please note that my comment had nothing to do with Filthy's drumming. I was just making a comment. Yes, it's just a video, but it looks stupid. Again, just a comment. I never said he couldn't play or wasn't good. Just said I hated watching him in the video. Lemmy and Fast Eddie seemed to be playing the correct material on the song (even though it's JUST a video). Motorhead are legends, I have nothing but respect for that band.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:30 PM

loved his drumming on the ace of spades album
Old 02-25-2011, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

Ace of Spades, Iron Fist and Another Perfect Day - some of the best rock drumming I have ever heard. Used to air-drum to those so much. Philthy Animal is a huge inspiration to me.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwolf68 View Post
Negative: Ever see the video to "Ace of Spades"? He doesn't even come close to playing it right. There are all these drum rolls and he's just pounding away on the snare. It's possible the video maker just dubbed the song over top of Motorhead playing something else, but it's a painful video to watch the drummer (though Lemmy and Eddie look good), but I dont like watching Phil in that video...and yes Motorhead rules.
That's not on Phil. That is just bad video editing.

There are hundreds and hundreds of music videos played on MTV where the video didn't line up with the drummer was doing. You'll hear a hi-hat, but the clip shows the drummer playing the ride, or as you pointed out, there is a fill that doesn't line up.

Most video editors aren't drummers. They can figure out how to line up the vocals to the singers jaw moving, they try to line up the drummer snare hits, but that's about it.

Heck, there is one Police video where the editor didn't even bother to line up Steward Copeland's 2 and 4 on the snare to the audio, and it looks incredibly lame.

Just like millions of pictures get posted in major publications with the photos reversed so the guitarist or drummer looks left handed. That one drives me nuts.
Old 09-10-2011, 12:14 AM

Hey some Phil Taylor fans.!

Phil isn`t a real flashy player,their`s no stick twiddling or big drum solos,he played as part of a band not a guest star.He fitted in perfectly with the straight a head rock sound of Motorhead and in my humble opinion is a great Rock drummer.

Overkill with his double bass is great as is the slower stuff like Jailbait and Iron Horse.
Old 09-14-2011, 04:39 AM

One of my favourite drummers of all time.

Such a distinctive sound, he really is easy to pick out. I just loved the way he brought out the phrasing in a song with his imaginitive fills. And the hi-hats! No-one sounds quite like Philthy on the hats, with his distinctive swing those hats were always moving.

It's just too bad he has done hardly anything since the glory days of Motorhead, but there's hope yet.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:14 PM
Rebel

Phil Taylor - a solid time keeper who played for the song...dead right. He knew the right time to throw in those great double bass fills.

Motorhead - Stay Clean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVFJrOlwdkw

Motorhead - Overkill: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...JvtulmEZI&NR=1
Old 01-22-2012, 12:08 AM
Silver Member

It's all has to do with context:

http://theaceofspades.ytmnd.com/

-John
Old 01-01-2014, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Ace of Spades, Iron Fist and Another Perfect Day - some of the best rock drumming I have ever heard. Used to air-drum to those so much. Philthy Animal is a huge inspiration to me.
Same here...air drum Back at the funny farm 20 times a day.He is one of the reasons i play drums.I met him back in 88 when Motorhead were in Greece for a gig,great guy too.
Old 01-02-2014, 02:41 AM

Don't forget the overkill album. That's some serious rnr
Old 01-02-2014, 04:47 AM

Philty grooved like no other metal drummer. Some great hihat barks, too. I still enjoy listening to the first 6 Motorhead albums mainly for his drumming. The song Iron Horse always has been one of my favorites for the drum groove.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCM View Post
Don't forget the overkill album. That's some serious rnr

Yes especially when he played it live,much faster than the album