DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 01-31-2009, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericdrummingusername View Post
I think it's all subjective. Entry or not, I love the sound of my FS kit more than even my drum teacher's DW.

If I'm not mistaken, the general wisdom on upgrading a kit is cymbals first, than shells.
If he goes with A customs and FS he WILL have an excellent sounding kit.

(Given he tunes and plays properly.)
Now HERE'S someone who understands what I'm talking about. I've played this kit (a 5 pc.) at a friend's house, and was blown away at how professional it sounded. Who knows, maybe it was the heads she was using (Evans G Plus), but those are the ones I'm looking into anyway.

Besides, have any of you seen some of the finishes these drums come in? The tobacco burst finish is stunning!
Old 01-31-2009, 07:40 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
No no no. I happen to know that teens with cars get um..."action" 99% more of the time than teens without. A drum kit won't bring your babe to the movies or initiate any...um...action until you are a rock star. Understand, this is the bane of parents, but speaking as a former teen....

Insurance isn't *that* bad if he has a job, and sticks to a non-sports car with a $500 deductible. Will a used ford focus REALLY cost that much for insurance? Not like a used mustang would.
Maybe in the US that's true but here i wouldn't say it really made that much difference. I know quite a few people who don't have a car and have a girlfriend.

As for the insurance. I was quoted 1032 on one of those Price comparison websites, that was the cheapest one, some came back with upwards of 2 grand and that was for 3rd party fire and theft with a 500 excess on an 8 year old ford fiesta. I didn't even realise you lot had ford focuses (erm, foci?) I thought they were more sort of european. I guess the other thing about the US is that u actually see teenagers in ford mustangs. Here, no chance, mummy and daddy would actually have to own an insurance company to get them insured! Plus, you still haven't tried to counter my other point about people not killing themselves on drums.

JD, i'm looking at getting evans G+ heads, they're basically designed for real hard-hitters and single ply heads in general are louder than 2 or 3 ply heads.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 02-02-2009, 06:05 AM

Ok everyone, I've made quite a few changes, hopefully for the better, but I need a bunch of help choosing out the right bass drum pedal. Of course, I'll try all of them out at the drum shop, but I need personal experiences, problems, and other information on the pedals listed in the original post.

Help please!
Old 02-02-2009, 06:16 AM
trkdrmr

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
JD, i'm looking at getting evans G+ heads, they're basically designed for real hard-hitters and single ply heads in general are louder than 2 or 3 ply heads.
Getting off of the all-important transportation topic...

I have ordered a set of g plus coated for my kit.
Old 02-02-2009, 01:54 PM
Platinum Member

Okay in terms of pedals i definetly reccomend you buy a direct drive pedal. So either the Yamaha, Gibraltar or my personal favourite the Axis.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 02-03-2009, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Okay in terms of pedals i definetly reccomend you buy a direct drive pedal. So either the Yamaha, Gibraltar or my personal favourite the Axis.
What kind of Axis pedals would you recommend? I was looking into the XL Longboards, but do you know of anything in particular about the AL Longboards that put them above the XL's?
Old 02-03-2009, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrumming View Post
What kind of Axis pedals would you recommend? I was looking into the XL Longboards, but do you know of anything in particular about the AL Longboards that put them above the XL's?
Well just from looking at the As, they look a lot more stripped down compared to the Xs i would say they are probably more streamlined and therefore faster. I'm sure the Xs are plenty fast as it is though.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 02-04-2009, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Well just from looking at the As, they look a lot more stripped down compared to the Xs i would say they are probably more streamlined and therefore faster. I'm sure the Xs are plenty fast as it is though.
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking, the Xs look a little bit wider than the As. Also, there's the Sonic Hammer Beaters, but that seems like sort of a gimmick to me... anyway, I'll probably stop by the drum store after school one day with a friend just to try out some pedals (my friend is looking for a pedal too, but she wants to buy either an Iron Cobra or a DW 5000, so I'll check those out, too).
Old 02-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah, that's exactly what I was thinking, the Xs look a little bit wider than the As. Also, there's the Sonic Hammer Beaters, but that seems like sort of a gimmick to me... anyway, I'll probably stop by the drum store after school one day with a friend just to try out some pedals (my friend is looking for a pedal too, but she wants to buy either an Iron Cobra or a DW 5000, so I'll check those out, too).
If you can afford an axis pedal not much point in looking at those 2 pedals.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 02-11-2009, 12:56 AM

Quote:
If you can afford an axis pedal not much point in looking at those 2 pedals.
Good point, if I can afford 2 Axis Longboards I'll DEFINITELY go for those... Although how much more expensive do you think 2 Trick Big Foots would be? I'd rather wait it out and get the Tricks than settle for the Axis... Not that there's anything wrong with Axis! I just prefer Trick, they seem more durable and more easily adjustable.

Last time I checked the Trick Big Foot singles were around $350 each, and the Axis A Longboards were $250 each. I think I'm going to cut costs elsewhere (snare drum, throne maybe?) and switch the Intruders to Trick Big Foots, then it would be an even more awesome kit!
Old 02-11-2009, 02:12 AM

if your looking at any pedal make sure you try them first! i bought an axis single AL longboard and and ended up not liking it. so i lost about $120 there.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Good point, if I can afford 2 Axis Longboards I'll DEFINITELY go for those... Although how much more expensive do you think 2 Trick Big Foots would be? I'd rather wait it out and get the Tricks than settle for the Axis... Not that there's anything wrong with Axis! I just prefer Trick, they seem more durable and more easily adjustable.

Last time I checked the Trick Big Foot singles were around $350 each, and the Axis A Longboards were $250 each. I think I'm going to cut costs elsewhere (snare drum, throne maybe?) and switch the Intruders to Trick Big Foots, then it would be an even more awesome kit!
Well you have not been interested in my advice so-far but I'll try once more.
The snare drum is the most important part of your set. If you actually plan on playing and practicing, your throne is very important. I think that you would have to be crazy to cut cost on your snare and throne for the difference between DW 5000/Axis/and trick
They are all good pedals.

btw I really like my Tama HT730, very comfortable.
Also there is a set of pacific FS on SF craigslist for $350 (gives you an idea on resale value)

Wayne
Old 02-11-2009, 03:02 AM

I'll also state again, If you are spending 3K, you can do far, far better than PDP FS drums.

Why not get a kit like one of these and pick up the other drums on ebay as they turn up.
You can set up a nice kit based on one of these for under $3K even if you special order the second bass drum.
Any of these will absolutely crush the PDP FS drums, as they should.

From Fork's , A great drum shop, (I bought one of my kits from them)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-Oak-Custo...QQcmdZViewItem
Also Forks
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Gretsch-Reno...QQcmdZViewItem

From The Drum shop in Maine
Another great dealer, ( I bought one of my sets here from Shane)
http://cgi.ebay.com/GRETSCH-RENOWN-I...QQcmdZViewItem

other options
http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-Oak-Custo...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gretsch-Renown-m...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 02-11-2009, 09:03 PM

one more:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Gretsch-Renown-M...A1%7C240%3A131
Old 02-11-2009, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

what about a 20" crash ? I think is more useful than a 16"
Old 02-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

Wloeb is right, really i doubt you're going to know the difference between the axis and the trick pedals. And a good snare is very important.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 02-11-2009, 10:11 PM
Silver Member

I know this sounds crazy, but do not fit the drums into your budget, fit your budget into your drums.

Find a sound you dig and buy smart. If you like the PDP FS, then buy a used set for $350 rather than a new set for $1100. You're doing well seeking out info in the forum, but you seem to be trending towards seeking affirmation rather than objective advice.

If you got to have Trick pedals, then get them. When. You. Can. Afford. Them. Do not get them at the expense of a good snare. To illustrate, Bonham played with a Ludwig Speedking pedal which is rudimetary by today's standards but he played a Legedary snare drum that launched a thousand hits.

This will not be the last $3K you'll have to spend at drums, but many would like to help you spend it wisely. Single bass and all....

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 02-11-2009, 11:49 PM

Do you guys have any idea how much you guys are indirectly demeaning my kit? It's an FS, AND IT ROCKS STOP HATIN"!!!!
Old 02-12-2009, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericdrummingusername View Post
Do you guys have any idea how much you guys are indirectly demeaning my kit? It's an FS, AND IT ROCKS STOP HATIN"!!!!

Sorry, I'm not trying to slam PDP FS , just saying that one can do alot better for $3,000.

Wayne
Old 02-12-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wloeb View Post
Well you have not been interested in my advice so-far but I'll try once more.
The snare drum is the most important part of your set. If you actually plan on playing and practicing, your throne is very important. I think that you would have to be crazy to cut cost on your snare and throne for the difference between DW 5000/Axis/and trick
They are all good pedals.

btw I really like my Tama HT730, very comfortable.
Also there is a set of pacific FS on SF craigslist for $350 (gives you an idea on resale value)

Wayne
I'm sorry if I seemed uninterested before, but your point about the snare and throne is actually a GREAT one, I can't believe I didn't think of that before, seriously! What was I thinking?! Ugh now I feel like an idiot for saying I was going to get good pedals instead of a good throne AND a good snare!

About the FS, I'm going to have to think about that for awhile, because I'm probably going to have to decided, ultimately, between size or sound. Double bass or single, etc. Meh, I'll get to that when I get to that.

Thanks, though!

Quote:
Wloeb is right, really i doubt you're going to know the difference between the axis and the trick pedals. And a good snare is very important.
You're probably right about the pedals, and I agree with you and wloeb about the snare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenPastTen View Post

This will not be the last $3K you'll have to spend at drums, but many would like to help you spend it wisely. Single bass and all....
Excellent point, as of now all suggestions will be noted and taken into account from anyone.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:29 AM

Hey everyone, I stumbled across the Tama Superstar Hyperdrive, which sound GREAT!

I was wondering if it is possible to order this configuration:

And how much (in Canadian dollars) would it cost?

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2009, 01:12 PM
Platinum Member

Yes you can order that from tama and as for prices i don't know probably anywhere between $1000-1500cdn

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 02-13-2009, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Yes you can order that from tama and as for prices i don't know probably anywhere between $1000-1500cdn
Oh wow, I thought it would be WAY more, like in the $2000+ range! Anyway, has anyone played these before? If so, how do they match up to other high quality drums?
Old 02-13-2009, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Where did you come up with this price? Did you just make it up?

At guitar center a 6 piece Superstar is $1339

22" x 18" bass drums
10" x 6-1/2"
12" x 7"
14" x 12"
16" x 14"
6-1/2" x 14"
bass pedal Snare stand Tom tom stand Boom cymbal stand, straight cymbal stand and a hi-hat cymbal stand.

The second Bass drum would be about $500
and two more toms would be anouther $400
So total about $2,240 US and you would still need another pedal and 3 more cymbal stands.

Everything except the cymbals would be around $2,600
Old 02-13-2009, 01:51 AM

Quote:
Where did you come up with this price? Did you just make it up?

At guitar center a 6 piece Superstar is $1339

22" x 18" bass drums
10" x 6-1/2"
12" x 7"
14" x 12"
16" x 14"
6-1/2" x 14"
bass pedal Snare stand Tom tom stand Boom cymbal stand, straight cymbal stand and a hi-hat cymbal stand.

The second Bass drum would be about $500
and two more toms would be anouther $400
So total about $2,240 US and you would still need another pedal and 3 more cymbal stands.

Everything except the cymbals would be around $2,600
Ok thanks, that gives me a better idea of where I stand in terms of pricing. Would you personally consider this kit, including hardware, worth $2600?
Old 02-13-2009, 02:13 AM
Silver Member

If you are as commited to getting two kicks as you seem to be, I won't try to steer you away from that.

I will however suggest you consider getting different sizes.

I no longer play double kick, but I'm sure happy I have the option of different sized kicks.
Old 02-13-2009, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Ok thanks, that gives me a better idea of where I stand in terms of pricing. Would you personally consider this kit, including hardware, worth $2600?
No, I wouldn't buy this kit with my $2600. I would rather get fewer higher quality drums.
I would also take a used pro kit over a new amatuer/semipro kit of any size.

Where are you going to put all these drums anyway, how will you transport them.

I'm assuming that you play metal from the number of drums you want. A used set of Yamaha Oak customs or Starclassics would be awesome for metal. I would also reccomend that you get one bass drum and use a double pedal.

BTW John, when do you plan on purchasing this kit?

Last edited by wloeb; 02-13-2009 at 02:55 AM.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
No, I wouldn't buy this kit with my $2600. I would rather get fewer higher quality drums.

I'm assuming that you play metal from the number of drums you want. A used set of Yamaha Oak customs or Starclassics would be awesome for metal. I would also reccomend that you get one bass drum and use a double pedal.

He's right, we all want to own huge kits with 18 drums on them but we're not all rich rockstars so really you should just settle with a 5 piece kit with a double kick drum pedal for now. I've already said this. A lot of people use these pedals not to be cheap but because they're easier to set up and transport.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 02-13-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:

I'll have to think about the quantity, although I probably wouldn't be moving it around much, so I wouldn't need cases, and it wouldn't be a hassle. Oh, and as for WHEN, it really depends on when I have saved up enough money. I'm not going to say how much I've saved so far, but I plan on getting a job soon (my sister says she can definitely get me a job at the place she works), so that should speed it up a bit!

Quote:
He's right, we all want to own huge kits with 18 drums on them but we're not all rich rockstars so really you should just settle with a 5 piece kit with a double kick drum pedal for now. I've already said this. A lot of people use these pedals not to be cheap but because they're easier to set up and transport.
Meh, you're probably right. I'm going to be perfectly honest, what you said is completely true about me wanting to be a rockstar :P. When I'm older I'll probably settle for a 4 piece kit, but I'm 14, and having this many drums is just kind of a cool concept. Not only do you get infinite setup possibilities, but you can always size it down, and with the double bass kit with 6 toms, 2 snares, and 2 bass drums, you can make two 5 piece kits out of it! Great for jamming with friends, or simply downsizing to work on technique.

However, I will definitely take yours and wloeb's suggestions into consideration!

Thanks,

Jon
Old 02-14-2009, 01:29 AM

You should consider a smaller, better sounding kit, with the money your putting in. I used to play a kit with 2 bass,3 tom, 2 floor tom, 1 snare, etc. but as time went by i got REALLY annoyed by it and eventually I shaved off drum by drum. After 3 or 4 years I used from 1 to 2 toms, 1 bass, 1 to 2 floor depending on the situation. I mean big kits are fun, but in the end are a pain to transport and set up.I don't think I'm going to go back at all, unless something serious pops up, which i doubt will happen. I'm sure if you look at smaller kits, you could find some killer deals on.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:39 AM

Age doesn't seem like a good enough excuse, especially when you understand that its probably not the best idea. I suggest single bass drum with double pedal, three toms up top, one snare, and one or two floors. Thats plenty in my opinion. That or buy a pro level 5 piece kit and add a tom every year or something. You're just jumping way in over your head.
Old 02-14-2009, 01:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Oh, and as for WHEN, it really depends on when I have saved up enough money.

Meh, you're probably right. I'm going to be perfectly honest, what you said is completely true about me wanting to be a rockstar :P. When I'm older I'll probably settle for a 4 piece kit, but I'm 14, and having this many drums is just kind of a cool concept. Not only do you get infinite setup possibilities, but you can always size it down, and with the double bass kit with 6 toms, 2 snares, and 2 bass drums, you can make two 5 piece kits out of it! Great for jamming with friends, or simply downsizing to work on technique.

However, I will definitely take yours and wloeb's suggestions into consideration!

Thanks,

Jon

To be succint, you can get a great 4 to 5 piece kit now with pro gear and pro cymbals and do it for $3K. Eventuall, you can expand your kit when you have more money to whatever size kit you want.

The plan you seem to be on, is to get a BIG set of intermediate drums and some pro gear and such.You'll have to spend your future budget on upgrading drums rather than adding to your already great gear.

Good luck.

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 02-14-2009, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronCobr4 View Post
Age doesn't seem like a good enough excuse, especially when you understand that its probably not the best idea. I suggest single bass drum with double pedal, three toms up top, one snare, and one or two floors. Thats plenty in my opinion. That or buy a pro level 5 piece kit and add a tom every year or something. You're just jumping way in over your head.
This is my point too. You don't have to be a teenager to have a big kit. Look at someone like diosdude, he has an absolutely massive kit! In fact if anything if you're still into heavy music at an older age if you get a decent job you're gonna have loads of money for drums. Now in 20 years time do you want to be telling people "oh yeah my first kit was sh+t, huge but sh+t." Or do you want to say "i still have my first kit, mind you i've added a few drums onto it since then..." You'll have plenty of time in your life after university to get a huge kit but if you skimp now you'll only regret it later.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 02-16-2009, 01:22 AM

Ok guys, here's the deal. I've decided that you guys are right, and for an initial purchase I shouldn't start out with 2 bass drums, 7 toms, whatever. I am now leaning towards the single bass drum kind of kit, with 4-5 toms. ADVICE NEEDED: Do any of you know anything about these kits:

-PDP Platinum Finishply 7-Piece
-Pearl Masters Custom 7-Piece
-Gretsch Renown Purewood Bubinga 6-Piece (someone already suggested these, sorry for not thanking you before for pointing these out)

Do you think it's a big step up from the Superstars, or barely any?

I actually have no idea, I've never really l never really took a close look at really high-end drums. And they may not be the BEST that each brand has to offer, but are they close?

EDIT: Oh yeah, double bass drum pedal recommendations: would you guys recommend the Axis A Longboards, Trick Dominator, PDP B.O.A., or anything else you guys have had good experiences with?
Attached Images

Last edited by jondrumming; 02-17-2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:35 AM

if you can, i'd suggest trying to get up to your local shop and trying the kits their. you shouldn't really but a high-end kit based on what we say because your ideal sound might be different. same with the pedals.

Last edited by CaptainSticks; 02-16-2009 at 01:48 AM.
Old 02-16-2009, 02:51 AM

Yeah, I was thinking of doing that, but if they don't have any of these kits set up, then what? Should I ask them to set up a few of the drums?
Old 02-16-2009, 07:14 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah, I was thinking of doing that, but if they don't have any of these kits set up, then what? Should I ask them to set up a few of the drums?
yes, after all if you're buying an expensive kit from them it shouldn't be too much to ask.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 02-16-2009, 07:26 PM

Well, I still wanna hear about the BOA...and the Plats. GO PDP!
Old 02-17-2009, 12:27 AM

Quote:
yes, after all if you're buying an expensive kit from them it shouldn't be too much to ask.
Good point, I'll be sure to do that.

Anyway, if it were up to any of you, which of the kits would you prefer? The Gretsch Renowns, Pearl Masters Custom MCX or Pacific Platinum Series?

I find myself kinda leaning towards PDP again, maybe Pearl...?
Old 02-17-2009, 05:22 AM

Sorry I forgot to ask, are there any other kits that I haven't looked at that are about the same price and size? Perhaps something from Tama?