DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 01-11-2009, 11:40 PM
jondrumming's Avatar
jondrumming jondrumming is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 314
Default Possibilities for New Kit?

Hey everyone, just thought I'd tell you what I'm saving up for:

Drums: PDP FS Kit, Tobacco Burst/Blue Fade

14"x5" Snare Drum
8"x7" Rack Tom
10"x8" Rack Tom
12"x9" Rack Tom
14"x12" Floor Tom
16"x14" Floor Tom (add-on)
22"x18" Bass Drum
22"x18" Bass Drum (add-on)

13"x6.5" Tama John Blackwell Signature Snare
OR
14"x5.5" PDP Maple Snare w/ maple hoops


Cymbals:

Zildjian A Custom 14" Hi Hats
Zildjian A Custom 20" Ride
Zildjian A Custom 14" Crash
Zildjian A Custom 16" Crash
Zildjian A Custom 18" Crash
Zildjian A Custom 8" Splash
Zildjian A Custom 10" Splash
Zildjian A Custom 18" China

Hardware:

Bass Drum Pedal (x2 single): Gibraltar Intruder Direct Drive / Tama Iron Cobra Flexiglide / Yamaha Flying Dragon Direct Drive / DW 5000 Accelerator / Axis XL Longboards / PDP B.O.A.
Hi Hat Stand: Gibraltar Ultra-Adjust no-leg hi hat stand
Snare Stand: PDP 800 Snare Stand
Hi Hat Clamp: Tama Hi Hat Attachment Clamp
Rack: Pearl ICON 3-sided rack (6 clamps)
Cymbal Arms: Gibraltar Ratchet Boom Arm x3, Gibraltar Long Boom Arm x2 (for splashes)
Throne: Roc n' Soc Original

Heads:

Evans G Plus Coated Fusion Pack


What do you all think?

I need MAJOR help choosing the bass drum pedals, expertise please!

Last edited by jondrumming; 02-02-2009 at 06:03 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-12-2009, 12:23 AM
bojangleman's Avatar
bojangleman bojangleman is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,840
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

do you have a kit as it is?

why are you going for the almost most expensive pedal out there? lol..

why not pearl Eliminators or Iron Cobra's?

what kind of music do you play?
will you be gigging?

Alex
__________________
Band:
http://www.myspace.com/springloadedcomeback
Add Us!
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-12-2009, 01:42 AM
jondrumming's Avatar
jondrumming jondrumming is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 314
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangleman View Post
do you have a kit as it is?

why are you going for the almost most expensive pedal out there? lol..

why not pearl Eliminators or Iron Cobra's?

what kind of music do you play?
will you be gigging?

Alex
I have 2 kits right now, one really cheap Silvertone Pro (don't ask, it was a LONG time ago), and a Yamaha DTXtreme IIs.

Good point about the pedal, I went for the expensive one so that once I had enough money overall, I would have a greater selection of different pedals. For example, If I saved up for Cobras, and then decided I wanted to get Axis or DW 9000s, I would need roughly another $200.

I don't do too much gigging, but I am in the process of forming a band, so there may be a few gigs down the road.

As for what type of music I play mostly rock, a little jazz here and there, but overall I have a unique playing style.

Thanks for the answer, it got me thinking about the pedal!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-12-2009, 06:20 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida's West Coast
Posts: 15,646
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

If it were me I would would spend less on the pedal and more on cymbals. You will tire of the B8 brand
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Gretsch Renown
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Khaine88's Avatar
Khaine88 Khaine88 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Pontypridd, Wales
Posts: 323
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

also you dont really need a rack if you only have 5 cymbals, especially since the pdp kit comes with hardware
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-12-2009, 06:36 PM
TenPastTen's Avatar
TenPastTen TenPastTen is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Katrina's Wake
Posts: 636
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
If it were me I would would spend less on the pedal and more on cymbals. You will tire of the B8 brand
Ditto on cymbals, but damn. You might want a car instead of the drums (I can't believe I'm saying this) because "enjoying teenagehood" will be greatly enhanced by having a car....





with a large back seat BTW...





..
__________________

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-12-2009, 07:24 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

yeah i agree with everyone else, get something like a DW5002 or pearl eliminators and spend the extra money on cymbals. Also don't get loads of cheap cymbals because you can always add on cymbals later, especially with the rack. Otherwise lookin pretty good atm.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-12-2009, 07:40 PM
midknight midknight is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 19
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

Ditto everyone else on the cymbals and pedals. You can get some great deals on cymbals on eBay or craigslist. Also, look into some different brands than the X7. You'll get fewer drums, but better quality and shell material.

Also, trust me, high school (and college) will definitely be better with a car than a drums.
__________________
Sonor
Zildjian


ΠΜΑ

Hail Sinfonia
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-12-2009, 08:10 PM
frank0072's Avatar
frank0072 frank0072 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,169
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

Get good drums and a cheap car. That's my advice.

And ditch the rack and pedals, go for Eliminators and pro-level Zilbinaiste cymbals..
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-12-2009, 08:51 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

Guys why is everyone so obsessed with him getting a car? He did say he doesn't want either at university. There's not much point in getting a car when your 16 or 17 because the insurance is just ridiculous. Waste of time and money imo. Not to mention people don't kill themselves on drums.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 01-12-2009, 08:55 PM
BattleArmor's Avatar
BattleArmor BattleArmor is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 629
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by midknight View Post
Ditto everyone else on the cymbals and pedals. You can get some great deals on cymbals on eBay or craigslist. Also, look into some different brands than the X7. You'll get fewer drums, but better quality and shell material.

Also, trust me, high school (and college) will definitely be better with a car than a drums.
I have had no problem with my x7's and use them weekly at gig's. They sound great with g2 coated over g1 clear, which was my next suggestion, if you are going with an x7. The hardware has also past the test of time.

But again, if you can buy used and if I were you, I would not get those pedals, and get some nicer cymbals.
__________________
No sense beating a dead horse. Unless its one of those zombie horses. You can't beat them enough.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 01-12-2009, 09:40 PM
TenPastTen's Avatar
TenPastTen TenPastTen is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Katrina's Wake
Posts: 636
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
Guys why is everyone so obsessed with him getting a car? He did say he doesn't want either at university. There's not much point in getting a car when your 16 or 17 because the insurance is just ridiculous. Waste of time and money imo. Not to mention people don't kill themselves on drums.
I don't know where the OP is from, but since he said "college" rather than "university" I am assuming he is from the US. That being said, it is usually quite impractical to not own a car. Not many of our cities are "walking" cities and public transit is not exactly universal either. In addition many of our colleges tend to accomodate more students-with-cars rather than students-with-drums.

Now, that was a somewhat serious answer to perhaps a rhetorical question...but nevertheless...drum-related deaths are FAR less likely than car-related deaths...so you got me there;-)
__________________

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 01-12-2009, 10:07 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenPastTen View Post
I don't know where the OP is from, but since he said "college" rather than "university" I am assuming he is from the US. That being said, it is usually quite impractical to not own a car. Not many of our cities are "walking" cities and public transit is not exactly universal either. In addition many of our colleges tend to accomodate more students-with-cars rather than students-with-drums.

Now, that was a somewhat serious answer to perhaps a rhetorical question...but nevertheless...drum-related deaths are FAR less likely than car-related deaths...so you got me there;-)
Well to be fair there was a drum maker who died in london but that was because the head he ordered from africa had anthrax on it.

As for the car cities, i know what you mean. Most US cities were designed round the car. However maybe he could buy his drums and play them now then in a couple of years when he goes to "collage" or university whatever you want to call it, he can sell up and get a car? Or maybe he might have saved up enough to buy a cheap car and still be able to come back to his drums when he finishes his degree.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 01-12-2009, 11:59 PM
jondrumming's Avatar
jondrumming jondrumming is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 314
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
yeah i agree with everyone else, get something like a DW5002 or pearl eliminators and spend the extra money on cymbals. Also don't get loads of cheap cymbals because you can always add on cymbals later, especially with the rack. Otherwise lookin pretty good atm.
That's actually not a bad idea about adding on better cymbals, would you suggest a particular brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
Guys why is everyone so obsessed with him getting a car? He did say he doesn't want either at university. There's not much point in getting a car when your 16 or 17 because the insurance is just ridiculous. Waste of time and money imo. Not to mention people don't kill themselves on drums.
Those are exactly the reasons why I don't want to get a car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenPastTen View Post
I don't know where the OP is from, but since he said "college" rather than "university" I am assuming he is from the US. That being said, it is usually quite impractical to not own a car. Not many of our cities are "walking" cities and public transit is not exactly universal either. In addition many of our colleges tend to accomodate more students-with-cars rather than students-with-drums.

Now, that was a somewhat serious answer to perhaps a rhetorical question...but nevertheless...drum-related deaths are FAR less likely than car-related deaths...so you got me there;-)
Ahh, I knew someone would notice the college thing. I actually live in Canada, but a lot of my extended family is American, including my mom, so she taught me to spell colour like color, and, as you mentioned, she told me that when I got older I would go to college. Where I'm planning to go to university isn't really that convenient a place to be driving around a car, mainly because everything is within walking distance.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 01-13-2009, 01:32 AM
Ainulindale's Avatar
Ainulindale Ainulindale is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 1,084
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
If it were me I would would spend less on the pedal and more on cymbals. You will tire of the B8 brand
about 10 minutes after their outta the box, i play B8's, sadly...

skins and cymbals, in that order - enjoy the new kit!

...and pics, asap!
__________________
question the media, sheep arent cool
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 01-13-2009, 01:10 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrumming View Post
That's actually not a bad idea about adding on better cymbals, would you suggest a particular brand?
Well it's difficult to know, maybe try sabian AAXs, or zildjian Z/A customs? Look on ebay as well you can get barely used cymbals for pretty cheap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrumming View Post
Ahh, I knew someone would notice the college thing. I actually live in Canada, but a lot of my extended family is American, including my mom, so she taught me to spell colour like color, and, as you mentioned, she told me that when I got older I would go to college. Where I'm planning to go to university isn't really that convenient a place to be driving around a car, mainly because everything is within walking distance.
Yeah okay that's the same thing with me too. Most UK cities have very good public transport.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 01-13-2009, 05:26 PM
TenPastTen's Avatar
TenPastTen TenPastTen is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Katrina's Wake
Posts: 636
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrumming View Post



Ahh, I knew someone would notice the college thing. I actually live in Canada, but a lot of my extended family is American, including my mom, so she taught me to spell colour like color, and, as you mentioned, she told me that when I got older I would go to college. Where I'm planning to go to university isn't really that convenient a place to be driving around a car, mainly because everything is within walking distance.
Well, if you don't need a car, then you get the drums! And as far as cymbals go, I have some Sabian gear that I can be talked out of. Just PM me if you'd like.
__________________

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 01-16-2009, 05:36 AM
jondrumming's Avatar
jondrumming jondrumming is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 314
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenPastTen View Post
Well, if you don't need a car, then you get the drums! And as far as cymbals go, I have some Sabian gear that I can be talked out of. Just PM me if you'd like.
Thanks for the offer! However I'm going to go with A Customs (new/used). Lol I changed my mind from B8s to A Customs in about three days :P
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 01-16-2009, 07:09 AM
henhog's Avatar
henhog henhog is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 228
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

Lol i'm 17 and I have a car and drums! though i have no money...

Dito on everything - eliminators and bigger cymbals and possibly no rack (unless you like the less sustain, higher pitch small crashes).
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 01-16-2009, 07:40 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

Yeah it's looking better. Are you sure you like the idea of such small crashes though? Of course as i said you can always just buy bigger a customs later and just have a monster kit ;) As for stands, well you've already got a rack so you shouldn't have to worry about getting cymbal or tom stands but as for a snare stand i've got a Gibraltair omniball stand which is very good i think and about 50. Roc n soc are extremely good thrones and i don't think you'll regret purchasing one.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-18-2009, 09:25 PM
jondrumming's Avatar
jondrumming jondrumming is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 314
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
Yeah it's looking better. Are you sure you like the idea of such small crashes though? Of course as i said you can always just buy bigger a customs later and just have a monster kit ;) As for stands, well you've already got a rack so you shouldn't have to worry about getting cymbal or tom stands but as for a snare stand i've got a Gibraltair omniball stand which is very good i think and about 50. Roc n soc are extremely good thrones and i don't think you'll regret purchasing one.
I changed the sizes of the crashes to 16" and 18", well actually I changed pretty much everything about the kit! And I think you're right about the Roc n' Soc, I tried one out at GC and it was AMAZING.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 01-18-2009, 10:37 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

okay looks good mate. Funnily enough i was talking to my friend today and he was saying that the only reason the B.O.A is a PDP is just because they want a younger target audience and it's actually as good, if not better than a lot of DW pedals. The A-Customs are beautiful sounding cymbals and the workhorses of thousands of drummers in almost all styles of music so you won't regret it. The only thing i would say is that if you're gonna wait to get the FX cymbals (the crash and china presumably?) then maybe you could hold out and get something better? I hear people who say that even PST5s make much better cymbals than PST3s.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 01-19-2009, 12:04 AM
wloeb wloeb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 493
Default Re: Possibilities for New Kit?

For $3,000 I think that you should definately be able to get a pro kit. If you want to go new I would suggest the that you look at

1) Yamaha oak customs
2) Gretsch Renowns
3) Tama birch/bubinga

and perhaps consider going with a double pedal (especially if you are going to gig with this kit)

You can do much better than PDP for this kind of money.

Wayne


Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrumming View Post
Hey everyone, just thought I'd tell you what I'm thinking of buying:

Drums: PDP FS 6 pc. Drum Set with add-on bass drum and floor tom, making it an 8 pc.

Snare Drum: Tama John Blackwell Signature Snare

Add-ons: ddrum Deccabons, 14" & 16" depth

Cymbals: Zildjian A Custom Crashes, 16" and 18", Zildjian A Custom Ride, 20", Zildjian A Custom Hi Hats, 14", Paiste PST 3 Splash, 10", Paiste PST 3 China 18"

x2 Single Pedal: PDP B.O.A.

Heads: Batter- Evans G Plus Coated Fusion Pack, Resonant- Stock

Cymbal Stands: PDP 800

Throne: Roc n' Soc Original

Note that the Heads, Effect cymbals, Throne, and Deccabons will be gradually added on after the initial purchase.

Total of everything else comes to just under $3000.

What do you all think?
__________________
My recording experiment:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=40247
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 01-19-2009, 03:57 AM
jondrumming's Avatar
jondrumming jondrumming is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 314
Default Re: Possibilities for New Kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
okay looks good mate. Funnily enough i was talking to my friend today and he was saying that the only reason the B.O.A is a PDP is just because they want a younger target audience and it's actually as good, if not better than a lot of DW pedals. The A-Customs are beautiful sounding cymbals and the workhorses of thousands of drummers in almost all styles of music so you won't regret it. The only thing i would say is that if you're gonna wait to get the FX cymbals (the crash and china presumably?) then maybe you could hold out and get something better? I hear people who say that even PST5s make much better cymbals than PST3s.
Thanks! And that's actually a great idea about the effects cymbals, I was kind of skeptical about the PST 3s, I'll probably go with the PST 5s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wloeb View Post
For $3,000 I think that you should definately be able to get a pro kit. If you want to go new I would suggest the that you look at

1) Yamaha oak customs
2) Gretsch Renowns
3) Tama birch/bubinga

and perhaps consider going with a double pedal (especially if you are going to gig with this kit)

You can do much better than PDP for this kind of money.

Wayne
Well, I don't think you read my whole post, because I said that $3000 is including the drums, hardware, and cymbals. I also said that I'm buying a second bass drum, so a double pedal would be sort of pointless, that's why I'm getting 2 single PDP B.O.A. pedals.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 01-19-2009, 04:02 AM
genericdrummingusername's Avatar
genericdrummingusername genericdrummingusername is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Post-Industrial Hick wasteland.
Posts: 413
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

DON"T LET "EM SWAY U I wanna hear about the B.O.A.'s ;)
__________________
I also play Bass.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 01-19-2009, 05:05 AM
tard's Avatar
tard tard is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: springhill nova scotia canada
Posts: 1,327
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

since your in canada sabian is a likely choice, most of mine are AAX with a couple AA and HH, if you buy new you can buy sets (hats crash and ride) and or (splash and chineese) etc, and save a few bucks that way, also any good used stuff thats realy dirty can be sent to sabian and repolished and restamped for $25 per cymbal and they pay the return shipping, AA,AAX,HH,HHX and Vault only, pretty cheap to make a cymbal like new, also check out dixon or gibralter hardware, their HD stuff are both about the same, with double braced legs and thick wall tubing, ive been gigging my dixon hardware for 10 years now with no problems. the better quality your shells and cymbals are the better they will sound and the more you will want to play them...
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 01-19-2009, 06:54 AM
wloeb wloeb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 493
Default Re: Possibilities for New Kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrumming View Post
Thanks! And that's actually a great idea about the effects cymbals, I was kind of skeptical about the PST 3s, I'll probably go with the PST 5s.



Well, I don't think you read my whole post, because I said that $3000 is including the drums, hardware, and cymbals. I also said that I'm buying a second bass drum, so a double pedal would be sort of pointless, that's why I'm getting 2 single PDP B.O.A. pedals.
I read your whole post, and I think that you still can do better than the PDP drums for $3K. The double pedal would be instead of the second bass drum.
No offence intended but it sounds like you were planning to spend $3,000 on mostly beginner level stuff. (Except for the hardware, pedals and the Zildjians)
I think that this is very misguided. For that kind of money you should have professional gear.
I just read about someone getting a 6 piece Renown for under 1K that leaves pleny of money for add on drums hardware and cymbals.


Please note I'm not saying to buy any of these kits (Except the one from Forks) but they are good examples to show you what's available for your price range.
hears a few examples:

You can start with one of these and add around 1000 for hardware and cymbals, and add drums when you want more.
Yamaha Oak custom 8-10-12-14-22 + snare $1,999
http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-Oak-Custo...3%3A1|294%3A50


Brand new from Forks ( A great 5 Star dealer) Yamaha oak 10-12-14-16-22 $1595
http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-Oak-Custo...3%3A1|294%3A50

My choice: Used Yamaha BCAN 10-12-16-22 $1,699
http://cgi.ebay.com/Yamaha-Birch-Cus...3%3A2|294%3A50


Tama Starclassic Used 10-12-13-14-15-22 and snare $1,200
http://cgi.ebay.com/Tama-Starclassic...3%3A1|294%3A50

Tama Starclassic maple used 8-10-12-13-16-22 $1,499
http://cgi.ebay.com/6-PIECE-TAMA-STA...3%3A1|294%3A50
__________________
My recording experiment:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=40247

Last edited by wloeb; 01-19-2009 at 07:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 01-19-2009, 11:02 AM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: Possibilities for New Kit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrumming View Post
Well, I don't think you read my whole post, because I said that $3000 is including the drums, hardware, and cymbals. I also said that I'm buying a second bass drum, so a double pedal would be sort of pointless, that's why I'm getting 2 single PDP B.O.A. pedals.
To be honest you would be better off just getting a single bass kit with a double pedal as W Loeb has already suggested. Honestly, it's not just cheaper there are advantages too like for me it's much easier to record and really you just end up with a tighter kit.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 01-20-2009, 04:06 AM
indiadrummer's Avatar
indiadrummer indiadrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: California
Posts: 191
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

My suggestion would be to re-focus your money where it is most important: the drums and the cymbals. At the end of the day they are all that matter.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 01-20-2009, 04:10 AM
bojangleman's Avatar
bojangleman bojangleman is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 1,840
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiadrummer View Post
My suggestion would be to re-focus your money where it is most important: the drums and the cymbals. At the end of the day they are all that matter.
you need stands to use the cymbals!

and pedals to play the drums..

Alex
__________________
Band:
http://www.myspace.com/springloadedcomeback
Add Us!
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 01-20-2009, 04:22 AM
wloeb wloeb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 493
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangleman View Post
you need stands to use the cymbals!

and pedals to play the drums..

Alex
A DW 5000 or an iron cobra double pedal should be more than good enough and either one costs $380. Another advantage to a double pedal is that you can use it with the electric kit as well for consistency.


Alex,

I've read many good posts by you, how would you recommend the original poster spend $3,000?

Wayne
__________________
My recording experiment:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=40247
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-27-2009, 06:20 AM
jondrumming's Avatar
jondrumming jondrumming is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 314
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

Guys, please stop telling me not to get 2 bass drums, I appreciate the advice, but in the end, that is my choice to make.

Anyway, what do you all think of the Gibraltar Double Bass Rack?
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-31-2009, 03:21 AM
jondrumming's Avatar
jondrumming jondrumming is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 314
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

SORRY FOR THE DOUBLE POST


Forget the Gibraltar double bass rack, how do you all think a 4-sided Pearl ICON (side extension) would do with 2 bass drums?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-31-2009, 03:35 AM
wloeb wloeb is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 493
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrumming View Post
Guys, please stop telling me not to get 2 bass drums, I appreciate the advice, but in the end, that is my choice to make.

Anyway, what do you all think of the Gibraltar Double Bass Rack?
Fine get two bass drums if you want. But let me be blunt. You are wasting your money if you are spending $3K for a kit based around a PDP FS. $3k to suround youself with lot's of low-end drums?

Doesn't make any sense to me.

Over and out
Wayne
__________________
My recording experiment:
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=40247
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-31-2009, 03:47 AM
drums_n_surf's Avatar
drums_n_surf drums_n_surf is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Posts: 168
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

buy used, you could get a fair amount of pro cymbals and drums for that price....i can only dream of the kind of drum kit i could have if i had $3000 US to spend, so don't waste it on brand-spanking new mid-level gear
__________________

Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-31-2009, 03:55 AM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
Guys why is everyone so obsessed with him getting a car? He did say he doesn't want either at university. There's not much point in getting a car when your 16 or 17 because the insurance is just ridiculous. Waste of time and money imo. Not to mention people don't kill themselves on drums.
No no no. I happen to know that teens with cars get um..."action" 99% more of the time than teens without. A drum kit won't bring your babe to the movies or initiate any...um...action until you are a rock star. Understand, this is the bane of parents, but speaking as a former teen....

Insurance isn't *that* bad if he has a job, and sticks to a non-sports car with a $500 deductible. Will a used ford focus REALLY cost that much for insurance? Not like a used mustang would.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-31-2009, 07:53 AM
jondrumming's Avatar
jondrumming jondrumming is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 314
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wloeb View Post
Fine get two bass drums if you want. But let me be blunt. You are wasting your money if you are spending $3K for a kit based around a PDP FS. $3k to suround youself with lot's of low-end drums?

Doesn't make any sense to me.

Over and out
Wayne
Point taken, although PDP FS drums aren't (from what I've heard) low level drums, they are more medium-level. And yes, the drums are not the highest quality, but tons of drummers have told me the general rule about purchasing drums, which is: You are able to change the sound of a drum to match your preferences; you can't do the same with cymbals.

For this reason, I've decided to spend more money on the Zildjian A Customs, because I know they will last a lifetime (I don't typically play in a manner that damages/breaks cymbals), and even if I ever do decide to upgrade my actual drums (and you made some great recommendations, but they are all out of range for the time being), I will have the cymbals on hand.

No matter how much I disagree with you, I will still take your opinion into account, as you seem like someone who knows their drums well!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-31-2009, 07:59 AM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrumming View Post
Point taken, although PDP FS drums aren't (from what I've heard) low level drums, they are more medium-level.
Please...no. Let's not get overzealous. They are entry level. They are not equivalent to any intermediate I can think of. They compete with stuff like the yamaha rydeen.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-31-2009, 05:46 PM
genericdrummingusername's Avatar
genericdrummingusername genericdrummingusername is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Post-Industrial Hick wasteland.
Posts: 413
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
Please...no. Let's not get overzealous. They are entry level. They are not equivalent to any intermediate I can think of. They compete with stuff like the yamaha rydeen.

I think it's all subjective. Entry or not, I love the sound of my FS kit more than even my drum teacher's DW.

If I'm not mistaken, the general wisdom on upgrading a kit is cymbals first, than shells.
If he goes with A customs and FS he WILL have an excellent sounding kit.

(Given he tunes and plays properly.)
__________________
I also play Bass.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-31-2009, 06:23 PM
PlaysforFun
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Buying a new Kit soon!

I'll sell you drums and cymbals for $3000. 21"AA Raw bell ride, 19" a custom projection, 18" AAX xplosion, 14" AAX x-celerator hats, DW 5000 double pedal
Attached Images
  
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com