DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 01-08-2009, 11:02 PM
Gold Member

Default The A's are HERE!

Here they are, guys! My Zildjian A's just came in the mail!

14" Zildjian New Beat hi hats
16" Zildjian A Medium Thin crash
18" Zildjian A Medium Thin crash
20" Zildjian A Medium ride

Yay!

I don't even think I need to type anything else...I'll post a video hopefully by the end of the day.

Enjoy!

I think I have to get used to the sound...they sound and feel MUCH different.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: The A's are HERE!

wow..nice 805!!

you've got a really, really nice collection..

the kit looks really nice with all the cymbals set up and everything..

congrats once agian and good job! =)

your using the 24" agian? awesome!

lol

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 01-08-2009, 11:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangleman View Post
wow..nice 805!!

you've got a really, really nice collection..

the kit looks really nice with all the cymbals set up and everything..

congrats once agian and good job! =)

your using the 24" agian? awesome!

lol

Alex
Thanks! Right now I'm kind of in the stage of admiring it, and although I can admit I didn't like how they sound at first, it's really starting to grow on me.

And I have VERY GOOD NEWS about the 24" bass drum! Well, first of all, I sold the Pearl Export toms and bass for $140 (back to the place I bought it from, they take lifetime returns for 70% of original cost.)

But the good news is that last night I ordered a 24" Superkick II for it! And to top that off, since my rack tom sounded really good with the Performance II as the reso and the Pinstripe as the batter, I ordered an Ebony Pinstripe for my floor tom! Now, the Performance II on the floor tom sounds SUPER dead compared to the other drums.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:42 PM

that kit looks like a lot of fun to play nice setup, and my favorite 1 up 2 down, congrats on the cymbals arrival, i just bought a 18 medium thin Zildjian A crash, there real nice cymbals.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:46 PM
Silver Member

if it sounds dead, with the performance II as the batter don't put it on the reso side because that is going to make the drum sound even more dead, because you are going to have to hit harder to get the reso side to actually respond...
Old 01-08-2009, 11:55 PM

Congrats on the new cymbals. One suggestion: Try just using just the pro cymbals for a little while and take down the Pst's and Zxt's ect. and see how that works for you. I wouldn't dilute the quality of your kit by including the lesser cymbals.

Wayne
Old 01-08-2009, 11:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom View Post
if it sounds dead, with the performance II as the batter don't put it on the reso side because that is going to make the drum sound even more dead, because you are going to have to hit harder to get the reso side to actually respond...
Eventually I'll buy new 1-ply reso heads, but for now, the tom sounds very good with the Ebony Pinstripe/Performance II combo. I have the reso tuned very high, and the batter tuned in between medium and low-pitched. I discovered a few weeks ago that that tuning makes it very deep and punchy, which I like.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wloeb View Post
Congrats on the new cymbals. One suggestion: Try just using just the pro cymbals for a little while and take down the Pst's and Zxt's ect. and see how that works for you. I wouldn't dilute the quality of your kit by including the lesser cymbals.

Wayne
Thank you.

I'll try it, but to be honest, I still like the sound of my PST ride. It just sounds very warm and musical, as opposed to the A ride, which still sounds very good, but completely different.

And also, it's a ZXT splash, not ZBT. But I took that off of the ride, because it was causing keyholing (it already has hairline keyholes--probably because I used to use it as a crash before I knew any better).

Now it's just a ride. Which I'll take off. I plan to replace it with a PST 5 china (16" or 18," I can't decide yet).
Old 01-09-2009, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

Congrats! Enjoy them.

Looks like you've now also got some good pics for insurance reasons...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 01-09-2009, 12:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805Drummer View Post
I plan to replace it with a PST 5 china (16" or 18," I can't decide yet).
If I were you I would get something Zildjian. With a predominately Zildjian set up, it will sound better together.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:04 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

Wayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinsyk17 View Post
If I were you I would get something Zildjian. With a predominately Zildjian set up, it will sound better together.
What would be the Zildjian equivalent of it? Because I've been listening to the sound file on Paiste's website of it (http://www.paiste.com/e/cymbals.php?...ory&menuid=284) and it just sounds like my ideal china. Everything about it sounds perfect.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:05 AM

Give yourself some time to get used to the Zildjian A's. You may find yourself reconsidering on buying another PST.

Wayne

Quote:
Thank you.

I'll try it, but to be honest, I still like the sound of my PST ride. It just sounds very warm and musical, as opposed to the A ride, which still sounds very good, but completely different.

And also, it's a ZXT splash, not ZBT. But I took that off of the ride, because it was causing keyholing (it already has hairline keyholes--probably because I used to use it as a crash before I knew any better).

Now it's just a ride. Which I'll take off. I plan to replace it with a PST 5 china (16" or 18," I can't decide yet).
Old 01-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Give yourself some time to get used to the Zildjian A's. You may find yourself reconsidering on buying another PST.

Wayne
I know I should buy more pro cymbals, but I've always felt that for special effects cymbals, it doesn't really matter what you buy as long as you like the sound of it. I don't mind getting a used pro china, but which one will sound like the PST? Because if I'm just getting a pro one that sounds like a beginner/intermediate one for the name, that doesn't even make sense. It would be cheaper to get the PST as well. So why shouldn't I?
Old 01-09-2009, 12:17 AM

I'm not saying that you definately shouldn't. Why not give yourself some time to get used to the new cymbals. What's the rush?

b.t.w. I find it helpful to choose cymbals in context with what I already own rather than isolated sound files. I like to play a new cymbal with my existing ones to see how the fit is. That's why I keep saying to take some time to get used to the new cymbals. You may find that you change your mind on what the ideal complement sounds like.

Wayne

Quote:
I know I should buy more pro cymbals, but I've always felt that for special effects cymbals, it doesn't really matter what you buy as long as you like the sound of it. I don't mind getting a used pro china, but which one will sound like the PST? Because if I'm just getting a pro one that sounds like a beginner/intermediate one for the name, that doesn't even make sense. It would be cheaper to get the PST as well. So why shouldn't I?
Old 01-09-2009, 12:48 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Nice cymbals, man!! re: your china, you should check out Wuhans, they're among the cheapest, yet they're the best sounding china cymbals you can buy. Only knock on them is their durability.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:55 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
Nice cymbals, man!! re: your china, you should check out Wuhans, they're among the cheapest, yet they're the best sounding china cymbals you can buy. Only knock on them is their durability.
You know, maybe I'll just go for one of those. I've heard good things about them, and I have *decent* technique.

For almost $40 cheaper, maybe it's worth it. I'm not buying it now (I'm saving up for a Flip Mino HD and an iPod Touch), but it's something that I'll want to get eventually.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:22 AM

Nice. You buy those off Ebay?
Old 01-09-2009, 01:25 AM
Gold Member

Quote:

Nice cymbals I am certain you will enjoy them a TON
Old 01-09-2009, 01:30 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoking View Post
Nice. You buy those off Ebay?
Yup. $475

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumhead61 View Post
Nice cymbals I am certain you will enjoy them a TON
Haha I saw you edited your post, most likely because Zildjian doesn't sell ReZo chinas...only crashes...which sound very good, IMO. I would buy one of those if I ever saw a used one for a good price.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Pioneer Member

Awesome man, good job. As for the zildjian sound, they will continue to grow on you, and as the cymbals get older, they will darken and mellow in sound and sound even better.

As for the china's, In your quest, check out the Wuhan Black ones. I played a couple over the weekend and they sound good, and Look really cool. and for that matter Zildjian makes a black china now too, and it sounds ok as well.

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 01-09-2009, 08:05 PM
Platinum Member

Nice dude your kit really looks like something now. I reckon your kit will look really amazing with black pinstripes. As for the head issue though, have you decided you're gonna stop using Performance IIs after reccomending them to me :p. I'll definetly think about replacing my snare head with a hi-energy one though.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 01-09-2009, 08:54 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
Nice dude your kit really looks like something now. I reckon your kit will look really amazing with black pinstripes. As for the head issue though, have you decided you're gonna stop using Performance IIs after reccomending them to me :p. I'll definetly think about replacing my snare head with a hi-energy one though.
Thank you, yeah, the black pinstripes really complete it.

And I'm really sorry about the Performance II recommendation--but never take just one person's advice. The Hi-energy is obviously much better...
Old 01-09-2009, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Glad to see that you mixing the cymbals up and not staying with just one type. Each cymbal no matter what kind will usually have a home and its own voice in certain settings.
Old 01-10-2009, 01:52 AM

No need to be swayed by the pro purists. As I said before, I prefer B8 range cymbals to higher end ones. As Bob Gatzen says, "If it sounds good to you, it sounds good!"
Old 01-10-2009, 02:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericdrummingusername View Post
No need to be swayed by the pro purists. As I said before, I prefer B8 range cymbals to higher end ones. As Bob Gatzen says, "If it sounds good to you, it sounds good!"
Yup, right now I'm strongly leaning towards either the Wuhan or PST 5 china.
Old 01-10-2009, 02:15 AM

I am uber jealous of not only your A's, but the fact that you have so many cymbals lol.
That's a comfortable looking cymbal setup you have there. All you need now is a china :P
Old 01-10-2009, 04:59 AM

Even though I haven't played a full set of Zildjians since the 1980s I have a very soft spot for them,particularly the A's and the New Beat hats. Your cymbals look lovely. As for the China: buy whatever you like,whatever sounds the best. Chinese cymbals can be a very demanding buy,it's not easy to find the right sounding one. Good luck with your new gear...
Old 01-10-2009, 07:20 AM

i like your setup but i have one question how do u like the ebony pinstripe because i dont know if i want to get the ebony pinstripes for my toms or the ebony embassdors
Old 01-10-2009, 01:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank322 View Post
i like your setup but i have one question how do u like the ebony pinstripe because i dont know if i want to get the ebony pinstripes for my toms or the ebony embassdors
According to past experiences, it would be best if you got some second opinions, but I personally really like them. I've never put any other type of head on my tom besides Performance IIs though. But the Ebony Pinstripe, if tuned right, is warm, PUNCHY, and looks great. On Tuesday I'll have one for my floor tom.
Old 01-10-2009, 06:57 PM

I'm slowly trading in my Sabian B8's for A's i'm going for the exact same setup but with just the A's not the paiste cymbals. Those are very versitle cymbals,I really like how the thin crashes sound, not too washy but a good ammount of definition in the sound. You get used to the sound very quickly. BTW Nice photos i love when people take photos while they open the package.
Old 01-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
I'm slowly trading in my Sabian B8's for A's i'm going for the exact same setup but with just the A's not the paiste cymbals. Those are very versitle cymbals,I really like how the thin crashes sound, not too washy but a good ammount of definition in the sound. You get used to the sound very quickly. BTW Nice photos i love when people take photos while they open the package.
Nice! Yes, for the most part, these cymbals sound basically the stereotypical crash sound, hi hat sound, etc.

And my favorite part of seeing new gear, like you, is the pictures of the boxes being open and the stuff being set up. Unfortunately, they also make me the most jealous, because then you can relate more to it, if that makes sense.
Old 01-13-2009, 12:57 AM
Gold Member

Zildjian A's - very nice cymbals man, enjoy them!
Old 01-28-2009, 05:37 PM

how do you like the crashes ? nice set up btw
Old 01-28-2009, 05:54 PM

very nice choice of cymbals, congrats!
Old 01-28-2009, 07:23 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASP3Rdrummer View Post
how do you like the crashes ? nice set up btw
Quote:
Originally Posted by lo0n View Post
very nice choice of cymbals, congrats!
Thank you! The crashes are awesome--if you needed a cymbal that could define what a crash sounds like, then you would use one of these.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:12 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Nice! Yes, for the most part, these cymbals sound basically the stereotypical crash sound, hi hat sound, etc.
That's really because they ARE the stereotypical "cymbal". The A and A custom series are I reckon easily the most popular series of cymbals to be made out of B20 bronze. They're just so versitile.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 01-28-2009, 10:04 PM

Very nice, kit looks great with all those cymbals!
Old 01-28-2009, 10:22 PM

those look great, i call the pst3's =)
Old 01-29-2009, 04:49 AM
Platinum Member

New cymbals, 24" kick drum back, old drums sold. All in 7 months. You "cleaned up" real nice. Congrats.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:13 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryconway View Post
New cymbals, 24" kick drum back, old drums sold. All in 7 months. You "cleaned up" real nice. Congrats.
Haha yeah, you're right; I've even almost replaced all of the stock heads! It feels pretty good, and my kit sounds/looks about a million times better. Now the last thing on my checklist is hardware (especially a better double pedal).

In fact, I am selling my PST 3s on craigslist, and I've already gotten 5 people interested. The hi hats are in high demand--but I'm getting a good price for them, $50. The crash is $40 and the ride is $60.