DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 01-17-2009, 12:59 AM

Default Re: Pearl Demon Drive

I am currently at NAMM and took this Bad-Boy for a test spin yesterday and it is everything Pearl says it is and then some. It has Ninja bearings in it and it is lightning fast. I like it because you can go from a short board to a long board with a few quick and easy steps. When you make the conversion, all parts stay on. You don't have any pieces you have to put away for safe keeping. There are several easy adjustments that can allow you to customize this pedal to your liking. It comes standard with a felt beater but a wooden beater is available as well. There is absolutely no play in the shaft for the double kick set-up. When you move your foot that beater is right there. When I saw the demo yesterday I thought ok maybe. Then they let me try it out and it comlpetely blew my mind. I couldn't believe the speed and control I had. I have been a long-time owner and supporter of Pearl and have just become life-time member. The price looks to be a little steep but then again it's a brand new product. I guarantee you will not be dissappointed with this product.
Old 01-17-2009, 01:33 AM
Silver Member

Geez... Hello Pearl representative! -_-"
Old 01-17-2009, 02:01 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrone1 View Post
I am currently at NAMM and took this Bad-Boy for a test spin yesterday and it is everything Pearl says it is and then some. It has Ninja bearings in it and it is lightning fast. I like it because you can go from a short board to a long board with a few quick and easy steps. When you make the conversion, all parts stay on. You don't have any pieces you have to put away for safe keeping. There are several easy adjustments that can allow you to customize this pedal to your liking. It comes standard with a felt beater but a wooden beater is available as well. There is absolutely no play in the shaft for the double kick set-up. When you move your foot that beater is right there. When I saw the demo yesterday I thought ok maybe. Then they let me try it out and it comlpetely blew my mind. I couldn't believe the speed and control I had. I have been a long-time owner and supporter of Pearl and have just become life-time member. The price looks to be a little steep but then again it's a brand new product. I guarantee you will not be dissappointed with this product.

Yeah, Drum-Head, maybe this endorsement would have more credibility if it came from an actual forum member and not a Pearl employee (first ever post sounds like a commercial?). I play the Trick dominator and the Pearl is a direct rip off. That being said, if you're going to rip someone off, rip off the best. I'm sure the Pearl is totally awesome but c'mon? The only innovation is the convertible standard to longboard feature. Hey, Pearl, newsflash: everyone's just going to convert it to longboard and never convert it back or vice versa. Seriously, who would switch once they figure out which configuration they prefer? That's like changing you car seat position, why would you do that? C'mon, pearl, eveyone was counting on you guys to bring this pedal to market for around $500 USD. You would have sold just as many of these as your eliminators even at THAT price. Now you're only going to sell them to the guys who can afford Masterworks. Oh BTW, tyrone, or is it Katsumi? Welcome to the forum, you're part of the coolest group on the internet, even though some of us are cooler than others.
Old 01-17-2009, 03:01 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yeah it might be expensive but i'm sure you can now afford one with the money pearl gave you to write THAT!

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 01-17-2009, 03:09 AM

It's got ninja bearings though. I think 689 for Ninja Bearing is WAY UNDERPRICED
Old 01-17-2009, 05:28 AM

Thanks everyone for your comments and your honesty. No, definitely not a Pearl rep by any means. Just wanted to be honest and yes you are right it is over priced. I noticed alot of people talking about it and thought I would pass along what I saw. I really like the pedal but it may not be for everyone. I'm at the show until it ends so if you want to know about something else let me know and I'll try to check it out for you. Thanks for letting me hang with cool people.
Old 01-17-2009, 05:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM201 View Post
It's got ninja bearings though. I think 689 for Ninja Bearing is WAY UNDERPRICED
LOL!! that's great! Seriously though, i wiki'ed "ninja bearing" expecting to see some technical breakthrough. Nothing. Ninja bearings are just a namebrand of some skateboard bearings that are supposedly superior to anything out there. Laughable. I'd like to hook them up to something really fast like an electric drill to test their tolerances vs other bearings. I can say with 100% certainty that no human body, not even tim watterson's, can produce enough speed to put these or any other bearing into structural failure. They hype it like it will add 100 bpm to your blast beat...
Old 01-17-2009, 05:47 AM
Silver Member

While I'm at it, i posted on another thread, does this thing seperate into 2 identical single pedals like the trick? From the pics i've seen, i cant tell if the slave even has a spring attatched to it. Very important to this drummer since i play true double bass in my rehersal space but my playing out kit has only a single bass drum. I do like the clip for the "L" shaped drum key attached to the footboard of the Demon. i know they stole that idea from one of my previous posts on how to improve the Trick.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:01 AM

Diosdude, from what I saw you can't separate the two and have two separate units. The pedal has twin springs on the master unit and none on the slave. I don't play a true double kick so I don't have that problem. For you this has to be deciding factor since you are a true double kick player.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:57 AM
Silver Member

I won't be getting one, 'cause it has no toestop, nor any way for one to be mounted.

I gotta have a toestop.

Last edited by timmdrum; 01-18-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-17-2009, 11:44 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
LOL!! that's great! Seriously though, i wiki'ed "ninja bearing" expecting to see some technical breakthrough. Nothing. Ninja bearings are just a namebrand of some skateboard bearings that are supposedly superior to anything out there. Laughable. I'd like to hook them up to something really fast like an electric drill to test their tolerances vs other bearings. I can say with 100% certainty that no human body, not even tim watterson's, can produce enough speed to put these or any other bearing into structural failure. They hype it like it will add 100 bpm to your blast beat...
I wonder what would happen if I used my brother's skateboard bearings to make a double pedal...
Old 01-18-2009, 12:03 AM
Silver Member

The price for a single pedal is 335.00$
Old 01-18-2009, 12:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805Drummer View Post
I wonder what would happen if I used my brother's skateboard bearings to make a double pedal...
Make sure they're ninja bearings first :p

Diosdude, i think most pedals can be converted to 2 singles, the difference is that some are a lot less work to do so because both pedals have chains rather than having a "master" and "slave" pedal. Also with my DW5000, i can put the beater on the slave pedal anyway.

Tyrone1, i'm sorry we prejudged you but i hope you understand that when someone sings their prases for pearl like that on their first and only post (look at the top corner of every post it tells you how many posts people have made) it does look a bit like you're spamming and that maybe you work for pearl?

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 01-18-2009, 01:51 AM

These pedals kick ass!!!
I tried em out at namm and seriously, they are not bullshitting you.
Its the perfect pedal. I want it.
Super responsive and super easy to play, they are almost effortless.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:56 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pzimmerdrummer03 View Post
These pedals kick ass!!!
Super responsive and super easy to play, they are almost effortless.
These pedals kick ass!!!
Super responsive and super easy to play, they are almost...

Dude....Remo Black Suede Emperors for batters, ambassadors for the resonants.
Never had a better drum sound in my life....

I have had my mapex for over a year now, and they never cease to amaze me. All my bandmates also comment on the sound, often saying it is the best drum sound they have ever heard. I guess it all...

Wow, a product rep from Pearl, Remo, and Mapex! You must have one heck of a job!
Old 01-18-2009, 05:37 AM

another person at NAMM : )

it was fast, i want one kinda.

feels super fragile though, makes it light.

I don't know about it if you are a hard hitter though!

I have tried the Yamaha direct drive and that seemed to be a killer pedal and very strong, The Demon drive was faster and felt thin.

Thats my honest opinion.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:58 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabasta! View Post

I have tried the Yamaha direct drive and that seemed to be a killer pedal and very strong, The Demon drive was faster and felt thin.

Thats my honest opinion.
Don't tell her you said that! She's very self-conscious about that. The pearl-laden ladies at Pearl love to compare themselves to those rugged Yamaha men.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:05 AM

Quote:
The pearl-laden ladies at Pearl love to compare themselves to those rugged Yamaha men.
yeah, i said it, i said it. . . .

thanks fo the laugh!
Old 01-18-2009, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabasta! View Post
another person at NAMM : )

it was fast, i want one kinda.

feels super fragile though, makes it light.

I don't know about it if you are a hard hitter though!

Thats my honest opinion.
I guess it's probably a bit like a formula-one pedal. Fast, but fragile.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 01-18-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
No, definitely not a Pearl rep by any means.

It is a funny............
Old 01-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
Make sure they're ninja bearings first :p

Diosdude, i think most pedals can be converted to 2 singles, the difference is that some are a lot less work to do so because both pedals have chains rather than having a "master" and "slave" pedal. Also with my DW5000, i can put the beater on the slave pedal anyway.
Yeah, but it's been my observation that most doubles that do split into 2 have 2 springs for the left pedal: one on the slave itself and 1 on the other side of the shaft linkage. When you take away the driveshaft and are left with a left and right pedal, suddenly the action is not equal at all. When i split my Trick pedal, the action is truly identical to the double pedal configuration.

Again, I'm not necessarily knocking the demon, i'm sure that if you guys get it, it will be the most awesome pedal you own, but i endorse the Trick pedal here on the forum and from what i see, it has more useful features to me. I was planning on getting a second Trick pedal so i have one for my studio kit and one for my gig kit, but now i'm tempted to just try the demon since it would stay permanently in double pedal configuration. The only thing holding me back is that stretch spring, I'll bet my Ludwig speed king is more responsive (the main reason why i got the trick and never got an axis) but i won't know until i get a foot on one.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
I have been checking them out for a few days trying to be objective about it. It is hard when all the Pearl Fanboys are running around screaming about it. My reaction wants to naturally be questionable. I've had Gene from Pearl break it down for me one day, and I thoroughly agree with most on the floor once you decide on a pedal length more than likely that will be the one for you. The advantage of it changing from long to short I cannot see being a big deal from a players point of view once you figure what setting you like. It is not as though these settings are so simple they can be changed mid-set/song to song. If someone is a salesman, I could see where it would be a plus simply with less product to have on the floor. There is no question of how many to order of each that is for sure.

After Gene's explanation I had dinner with Mike Farris & the Pearl Forum guys and we got into the subject a bit. This had me check it out again the next day. Mike saw me and of course broke it down giving all the usual sales pitch but the best thing he said was Todd Sucherman (sp?) said playing in their promo video at the time, it is a literal pedal. What you play, is what you get.

Now this is where my story gets sort of weird. Ironically who was sitting there trying out pedals but Todd. I had no idea who he was but I asked Mike if that was him he said yes and he joined our conversation. After a few brief introductions & some chit-chat Todd basically said you have to be very careful with what you are playing because the pedal reacts immediately. The thing is most of us are used to slight delays due to bounce back or in some cases latency with a double pedal's left-side. This does not exist with this pedal. Todd said he had to almost rethink his playing using it but now that Pearl has taken the pedal away from him and he is back on his Elims, he is screaming for it back. I personally said, "it sounds to me like it makes you a worse player at first." Not sure why, but Todd didn't react, but Mike was defensive of that of course saying, "you simple have to get use to it" . He's possibly right but are the benefits worth the adjustments needed is the real question on my end.

My take on it: it is just another choice. Pluses versus minus do not out weigh the change for me especially at that price. What the pedal lacks to me is the natural feel of rebound. The beater comes back it doesn't necessary bounce back it is just there perfectly waiting for you. There is no "grab" or "swing" to it. It is almost too perfect sort of like Pro-tools and the way some producers quantize everything. If that is what you like, then this is the pedal for you. But as it stands I need something that "breathes" a little bit more, but that's style just as much as anything.

Last edited by dale w miller; 01-18-2009 at 08:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

God damn -- ninjas, bears and demons! I want six six six of 'em!
Old 01-18-2009, 08:03 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefeckcampaign View Post
My take on it: it is just another choice. Pluses versus minus do not out weigh the change for me especially at that price. What the pedal lacks to me is the naturally feel. The beater comes back it doesn't necessary bounce back it is just there perfectly waiting for you. There is no "grab" or "swing" to it. It is almost too perfect sort of like Pro-tools and the way some producers quantize everything.
"natural" is defined by the user.

Using my Axis AL-2's, and I would gather most direct-drive pedals and their users, would agree that the natural feel for a direct drive pedal is "without slack". Super tight response and "attached-to-the-foot" feel is just part of all direct drive pedals...not just the Demon.

You're absolutely correct in saying that the Demon is just another choice. Pearl now has their foot in the market pool for direct drive pedals. I'm sure the price is going to sucker some of the Pearl-purists into spending the money. I'd like to hear who actually pays that much at your local GC. Don't get me wrong either, I like Pearl pedals...I used one a P-9something for a long time, a long time ago when money was tight. Good, reliable, plenty of speed. Nowadays...seems a different beat from that camp.

Ninja Bearings?!?! Pleease... Mediocre differences compared the competition (Axis, Yammie, Trick). It's really hard to have "new and improved" when everything about your product, simply... isn't. Short/longboard configuration conversion? Great! A service that might be required...um...once? Maybe twice. I just can't see a regular player who needs the setup to be consistent, changing the footboard configuration often.

Personally, I'll stick with my Axis. Never had an issue, fast as I've ever needed a pedal to be. Despite some people saying there is a quality issue, I beg to differ. Either way, Demons aren't worth the cost and offer nothing more than a another name for people to put under their roach-stompers.

$.02.

Andy

Last edited by sticksnstonesrus; 01-18-2009 at 09:22 PM.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:05 PM

And I'll stick with my Trick(s).

I think that companies like Pearl may not get it off the ground unless the price is significantly lower. But you never know.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavelength View Post
God damn -- ninjas, bears and demons! I want six six six of 'em!
Old 01-18-2009, 09:58 PM

PICTURES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(\_/)
(O.o)
(><)
MOOSE IS HERE!!!

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=48228
Old 01-18-2009, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member

It's definately worth a try. I will not speculate on what it could feel like or what other companies it compares to. I'm intrigued by it.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:11 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilkay View Post
And I'll stick with my Trick(s).

I think that companies like Pearl may not get it off the ground unless the price is significantly lower. But you never know.
I agree 100%.

Looks like Pearl managed to copy a little bit of Trick's design on external components. I tried them out they are very smooth and light. I don't see any reason to sell my Eliminators for these new Demon Drive. I am saving for the Pro 1 V Tricks. I tried them all out this weekend and they RULE!
Old 01-18-2009, 10:36 PM

Quote:
These pedals kick ass!!!
Super responsive and super easy to play, they are almost...

Dude....Remo Black Suede Emperors for batters, ambassadors for the resonants.
Never had a better drum sound in my life....

I have had my mapex for over a year now, and they never cease to amaze me. All my bandmates also comment on the sound, often saying it is the best drum sound they have ever heard. I guess it all...

Wow, a product rep from Pearl, Remo, and Mapex! You must have one heck of a job!
Hey man, I just think they are all pretty stellar. I would like a job at one of those places, but I flip pizzas for a living :P
Old 01-18-2009, 10:40 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Hey man, I just think they are all pretty stellar. I would like a job at one of those places, but I flip pizzas for a living :P
Do you flip pizzas for the cafeteria in the Pearl headquarters?
Old 01-19-2009, 04:02 AM

I dont even know where the pearl headquarters are hahaha. I do live in the same city as the FENDER factory, but not any of the others. So if anything, I would be a product rep for fender and not the others. I just like what I play that much!
Old 01-19-2009, 04:14 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I dont even know where the pearl headquarters are hahaha. I do live in the same city as the FENDER factory, but not any of the others. So if anything, I would be a product rep for fender and not the others. I just like what I play that much!
I doubt it. I think that "pzimmerdrummer03 secretly stands for "Pearl-Zildjian-Istanbul-Mapex-Meinl-Evans-Roland-DW-Remo-Universal Percussion-Modern Drummer-MRP-Emad-Roc-n-Soc!"
Old 01-19-2009, 04:28 AM

Quote:
I doubt it. I think that "pzimmerdrummer03 secretly stands for "Pearl-Zildjian-Istanbul-Mapex-Meinl-Evans-Roland-DW-Remo-Universal Percussion-Modern Drummer-MRP-Emad-Roc-n-Soc!"
Believe what you wanna believe, pal.
Old 01-19-2009, 04:36 AM

So, I'm wondering, why is everyone refusing to believe that positive first-hand experience is legit? Are you all feeling threatened about your own gear or brand of loyalty?
Old 01-19-2009, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genericdrummingusername View Post
So, I'm wondering, why is everyone refusing to believe that positive first-hand experience is legit? Are you all feeling threatened about your own gear or brand of loyalty?
Hahahahaha thanks for that!
Old 01-19-2009, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Hahahahaha thanks for that!

Heh heh, any time.

But I'll stick with my budget pdp pedals. ;D
Old 01-19-2009, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Heh heh, any time.

But I'll stick with my budget pdp pedals. ;D
Had those for 3 years!
Old 01-19-2009, 04:56 AM

Sweet. They get the job done, work great for me. Slayer great XD
Old 01-19-2009, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Sweet. They get the job done, work great for me. Slayer great XD
Mine broke in the most epic fashion. I was playing and things just started breaking lol