DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 01-06-2009, 11:50 PM

Default evans power center reverse dot snare head

whats it like because from listening to peoples veiws it sounds to fit what i want but exact descriptions i play sort of alternative pop to rock. think paramore, all american rejects, kings of leon. i like versatility for lighter acoustic stuff (the kooks sort of thing).

if this head is not for me what else would you suggest. snares maple 14 by 5.5
Old 01-07-2009, 07:35 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: evans power center reverse dot snare head

I had that head for my PDP maple snare. It was nice for a little while but it started to get on my nerves. Compared to the stock head I had before...there was a more prominent crack and a nice ring to it. But I guess I'm too versatile of a drummer for that head. The reverse dot took a lot of my sensitivity out of my snare drum. I switched to a Genre HD Dry. A little better but for my sound I will have to go lighter.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Silver Member

I'm a fan of the PC reverse dot. Sounds very similar to a G1 but not quite as bright. Not long ago i had that head on all my snares. I have since gone to coated ambassador on all drums but I still like the PC reverse dot.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:25 PM

I put a brand new Evans power center reverse dot snare head on my 13" TAMA Metalworks snare a few days before a gig. Sounded great and really worked with that particular snare.

After our set at the gig, a few other drummers jammed on the kit. When I got back on the set I noticed the snare wasn't really singing anymore. I figured it just need to be retuned, but what happened was this:

Some plastic pieces of the reverse dot had cracked, came unglued, fell down and got reglued to the reso head inside the drum!

I removed the batter head and tried to carefully peel the pieces off but it was no use.

So basically I had to replace both heads. I wasn't too happy about that, so I won't be buying those heads again.
Old 01-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

A dot on the head reduces the fundamental note a bit, so the head yields more attack. Basically, you can expect a little more 'snap' from the snare. Same applies to toms, and is the reason Remo's black dot and Ludwig's silver dot heads were so popular in the '70s. They helped toms project better.

I've begun using the EC Reverse Dot heads, and really like those a lot.

Bermuda
Old 01-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Masters View Post
I'm a fan of the PC reverse dot. Sounds very similar to a G1 but not quite as bright. Not long ago i had that head on all my snares. I have since gone to coated ambassador on all drums but I still like the PC reverse dot.
Ditto for me!

Old 01-10-2009, 09:42 AM

Wow, I just started a thread then discovered this thread. So, at the risk of being redundant I'll post here what I wrote there. And now I'm not sure what to think. Drat!

So there I am, banging away thru a series of rudiments. The temp in the 'studio' (shop) is five degrees and its another bitter day with heavy snow piling up high in the yard. When suddenly I notice the head's dot (which is on the inside of the snare head) detach from the head and float away, dissappearing within the drums metalic interior. Me thinks, 'Wow, never lost a dot before'. A week later, the temps still in the single digits, I notice that the EC (edge control) strips, which are also attached to the heads interior, are also beginning to detach from the drumhead. Whats this? me thinks again. Now, before going any further I want to say this is a great sounding head. I like it a lot! But, I can't afford to have the head falling apart like this... sooo, back to the pinstripes? So, comes another day and another practice, when I next discover that the beater pad has detached from the bass head, and is laying there worthless on the floor while my double beaters thrash without resistance against the Evans Emad. Hmmm, whats up???
Now, I don't know for sure, but I suspect whacking these components in the extreme cold has for whatever reason caused the adhesive to fail and thus end up with the detachment of said dot and pad. Unless I learn otherwise, I'll replace the Evans EC reverse dot in the spring and when next winter arrives I'll replace the head with a weather king, seems more fitting that way. Either that or get my lazy ass up and build a fire in the wood heater!
Old 01-10-2009, 04:29 PM

intheruff... we are talking about the PC reverse dot. not the EC one. theres a difference lol
Old 01-10-2009, 07:09 PM

'intheruff... we are talking about the PC reverse dot. not the EC one. theres a difference lo'

Oh sorry, I didn't catch that. That might be good news for the EC then. I'll give em' on more try.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:13 AM

I personally liked that head alot because i had it on my old set, which was a yamaha YD, which the snare wasnt amazing but it was fine for more skill level back then. But anyways, it made the snare sound amazing, gave it a nice pop, limited the after sound/ shake. It was also very easy to tune and you could beat the hell out of it. I think it'd be great for you.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:06 AM

I use this head on both my 13" metal snare and my 14" maple snare. It's a great head and when paired with the Hazy 300 head and Puresound custom snarewires and good tuning you can have a very very good snare sound. Although i think you need to be able to tune well otherwise you could end up with an unwanted and ugly ringing sound. You get a nice sound and the coating and entire head seem to last a very long time and not chip or become dead.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:56 AM
trkdrmr

My three favorite snare heads for any use (no order)

G1 coated
Reverse power center
EC-1 clear

I know that pros will go to great lengths with any drumhead imaginable to achieve a sound.

I prefer 1 ply snare heads, I don't like to sacrifice response.

I use an ec-1 clear over hazy 300 on my trick snare. It sounds very powerful like this. I also employ studio rings or moongel as required.
Old 02-06-2009, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bermuda View Post
A dot on the head reduces the fundamental note a bit, so the head yields more attack. Basically, you can expect a little more 'snap' from the snare. Same applies to toms, and is the reason Remo's black dot and Ludwig's silver dot heads were so popular in the '70s. They helped toms project better.

I've begun using the EC Reverse Dot heads, and really like those a lot.

Bermuda
Your statements are correct regarding the dot, the only thing is that at Evans we specifically perforate the dot so it has less effect on the overall vibrations of the head.

Regarding the EC reverse dot, we specifically designed the dot to pre-eq the head, it is very thin metalized polyester film (3 mils) that doesn't offer a whole lot of reinforcement but rather is there to manipulate vibrations of the head. The durability of that head in particular comes from its double ply make up. It is a ply of 10 mil, and ply of 7 mil film, with the 3 mil dot in the center.

When we first put the thing together we didn't think a head that thick would perform the way it does. It's personally my favorite snare head because of its sound, sensitivity, feel, and durability.

btw: For those that think that the coating on ECs is different then our standard white coating, it isn't, the only difference is that we do not put a pigment in the coating.

Rob D'Addario

Last edited by xl120; 02-06-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-06-2009, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

The PCRD is a nice head, lasts pretty long without loosing any life.
I really liked the TOP dot version. A little better actually because I got a few different sounds out of the snare.