DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-11-2005, 12:19 AM

Default Brad Wilk

I thought of Brad while reading the "under-rated" post so I'm starting this thread in hopes of gathering some critical opinions on his playing. He's not a big fill player and doesn't play odd-time signatures but he's capable of creating these monster grooves with Tim Commerford and Tom Morello. I've never, ever, seen crowds bounce as much as at a RATM concert. His approach is totally streamlined to perfectly fit their music, which is something I'm sure his appreciation for Hip-Hop music has taught him. I will admit though that as drum studies go, his records are tough to appreciate for their drumming value because of his enthusiastic use of open hi-hats and crash cymbals as steady 8th notes (its ear-splitting although effective for the material). His work on the latest AudioSlave record (Out of Exile) tones downs the splashiness and shows him letting loose with the fills a bit.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Brad_Wilk.html

Last edited by DogBreath; 08-11-2005 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Edited to add link to DrummerWorld
Old 08-11-2005, 12:25 AM

Default Re: Brad Wilk

Brad is awsome his work with rage was AWSOME hes an amazing drummer hes got some tight grooves. But his drumming for audioslave is pretty simple can be hard at some points but simple.......... Overall very skilled and impressive drummer that can knock your socks off :D (man that was korny)
Old 08-11-2005, 01:39 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

I think he's great, and the first RATM album and Evil Empire have some amazing grooves on them. Who cares about fills?

But on the other hand, Audioslave is just horrible. It's almost embarassing to watch - all these guys used to be good! Urgh.
Old 08-11-2005, 02:37 AM
JW89

Brads drumming in rage was awsome, im actually listening to rage right now, lol. Ive seen audioslave live and he makes the drumming more complicated when its live. I really like his grooves, and he can do some fast fills, like at the end of "killing in the name if" . His drumming has always been a big influence on my playing, hes totally my style of drumming. Great drummer!
Old 08-11-2005, 03:01 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW89
Brads drumming in rage was awsome, im actually listening to rage right now, lol. Ive seen audioslave live and he makes the drumming more complicated when its live. I really like his grooves, and he can do some fast fills, like at the end of "killing in the name if" . His drumming has always been a big influence on my playing, hes totally my style of drumming. Great drummer!
I started off as a (crap) guitarist in a band playing lots of RATM stuff back when the first album came out. I always thought they were an excellent band, and I had boundless respect for Tom Morello - he's one of those 8-hours-a-day shred monsters in disguise. If you listen to the version of "Darkness" from the soundtrack for The Crow or the solo on (IIRC) "Settle for nothing" you can hear that he's got guitar chops a-plenty. But instead he works to create interesting sounds and plays the "DJ" role inside a really tight rhythm section, which for me is just a great example of musicianship at its best - study the chops, but don't alter your musical goals just to include them.

Then he had to ruin it by joining Audioslave, where he still plays all the same RATM stuff but behind the evil shapeshifting alien who stole Chris Cornell's identity in around 1997. I'd never have thought that evil shapeshifting aliens would be into such lame-ass boring crud-rock! Also, judging by the Pearl Jam live album and Wellwater Conspiracy I can only speculate that they got Matt Cameron too...

Maybe that's the real reason Soundgarden broke up?
Old 08-19-2005, 12:43 AM

I always dug Brad Wilk's playing. He's a heavy heavy groovesmith. I like some Audioslave......not as much as Rage or Soundgarden, but how can they top themselves again......I don't expect them to! I'm just glad they're still out there playing. Chris Cornell has one of the best rock voices ever, I'm just wondering what happened to Zack de la Rocha...

Zack, where for art thou?
Old 08-19-2005, 02:28 AM
Pioneer Member

damn you guys are harsh toward audioslave. why don't you like them? so they don't do anything technically impressive on their records... big deal. they lay down such a great groove and they rock, hard. that's all that counts. it's just like jazz - would you rather hear a guy who plays sparsely but swings HARD, or hear some crazy, super-note-filled s*** that has no feeling to it.

audioslave has the musical influence of rage paired with the vocal power of chris cornell. granted they take it into a slightly different context, but so what? give their stuff a listen again and tell me honestly that you can't get into it. or at least give me some good reasons why you can't?

Last edited by DogBreath; 09-03-2005 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Edited for inappropriate language
Old 08-19-2005, 02:32 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spliff Burton
I always dug Brad Wilk's playing. He's a heavy heavy groovesmith. I like some Audioslave......not as much as Rage or Soundgarden, but how can they top themselves again......I don't expect them to! I'm just glad they're still out there playing. Chris Cornell has one of the best rock voices ever, I'm just wondering what happened to Zack de la Rocha...

Zack, where for art thou?
agreed more or less with you. i love chris's voice, it's just so powerful and cutting and awesome.

as for zack, i believe he is still around rapping and stuff.

check this out: http://www.zdlr.net/
Old 08-19-2005, 06:53 PM

audioslave's so much better than all the $hi+ that's out there. i'm tired of emo, death metal and pop of today and audioslave's bringing back the good old grooves and riffs with new materials and ideas. it's a shame not many people know them as much as Green Day or Foo Fighters.
Tom Morello has to be the most original guitarist since Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen.
Chris Cornell is the best vocalist alive today. he has the best voice ever, whether he's screaming his guts out or singing ballads.

enough with my obsession with audislave, let's talk about brad wilk:
Brad Wilk is a very underrated and inspirational drummer. he grooves so well with Tim Commerford on all of the songs i know. he's funky and rocky like Chad Smith (who is also one of my favourite drummers as well), and back up the music perfectly. he can do cool stuff on his kit, as i found out when i went to their concert. he's got chops, i can tell you.

wow, so zack is stille alive and well!
finnhiggins, why do you not like audioslave and later pearl jam/wellwater conspiracy/chris cornell work?
Old 08-19-2005, 08:59 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardRockDrummer
audioslave's so much better than all the $hi+ that's out there. i'm tired of emo, death metal and pop of today and audioslave's bringing back the good old grooves and riffs with new materials and ideas. it's a shame not many people know them as much as Green Day or Foo Fighters.
Tom Morello has to be the most original guitarist since Jimi Hendrix and Eddie Van Halen.
Chris Cornell is the best vocalist alive today. he has the best voice ever, whether he's screaming his guts out or singing ballads.

enough with my obsession with audislave, let's talk about brad wilk:
Brad Wilk is a very underrated and inspirational drummer. he grooves so well with Tim Commerford on all of the songs i know. he's funky and rocky like Chad Smith (who is also one of my favourite drummers as well), and back up the music perfectly. he can do cool stuff on his kit, as i found out when i went to their concert. he's got chops, i can tell you.

wow, so zack is stille alive and well!
finnhiggins, why do you not like audioslave and later pearl jam/wellwater conspiracy/chris cornell work?
you said it HardRockDrummer, Brad is very underrated.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:09 AM

Two words. MONSTER GROOVE!!! I saw audioslave play last night, they were great! They threw in some old rage and soundgarden songs also; from what I remember, Bulls On Parade, Killing In The Name Of, and Sleep Now In The Fire. Brad was totally laid back, but really into it at the same time.

Anyone know what kind of shells he uses?
Old 10-01-2005, 02:08 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
It's just dull. Everybody involved in any of those bands has said everything they seem to have to say in a mainstream rock context already, better. Why keep repeating yourself for diminishing returns, year after year? Which would you rather watch, the Rolling Stones today or the Beatles in their prime? The Rolling Stones have earned their place in musical history for their longevity, but can you really say that they've achieved anything other than a remarkably long period of stasis since their prime in their youth?

Audioslave is depressing because it's like meeting a friend of yours who used to be amazing, vibrant and creative and finding they've got a day job as an accountant and have been working for the past five years on "defining their sound". In other words, all the potential that was once compressed in them so tightly it was flying out their eyes all seems to have gone to waste. It makes you revisit the work they did before and go "Hell.. was it really as good as I thought?". If anything, Audioslave works to make me dislike RATM and Soundgarden more rather than RATM and Soundgarden combining to make me enjoy Audioslave.

Contrast this with somebody like Max Roach or Mike Patton or something. People who've gone from one place in their career to somewhere totally different, all the while growing and developing new cool stuff. I agree with you - Chris Cornell has an amazing voice. And Tom Morello is a stunning guitarist. I just wish they'd find something exciting to do with those gifts, rather than recycling the same stuff they were doing with them a decade ago.

I thought the track Tom Morello did for the Spawn soundtrack was more interesting. He should go play techno full time instead, he's much more inspiring in that context.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:39 PM
Pioneer Member

When I first heard the line up for Audioslave I was some what intrigued. Then I listened to them. They sound exactly like what they are RATM with Chris Cornell. Also RATM is a one trick pony, their first album was OK. They have a habit of playing the same song with the same beat over and over again.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:42 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amardavid79
Two words. MONSTER GROOVE!!! I saw audioslave play last night, they were great! They threw in some old rage and soundgarden songs also; from what I remember, Bulls On Parade, Killing In The Name Of, and Sleep Now In The Fire. Brad was totally laid back, but really into it at the same time.

Anyone know what kind of shells he uses?

He plays Gretsch drums.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:33 AM

Oh, Brad's a hell of a player. Really awesome feel, and unique style...alot of his most interesting ideas are things that people don't necessarily catch on the first listen.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:00 PM
Silver Member

I personally like Audioslave over RATM.

I saw them two summers ago on Lollapalooza and was blown away. Brad Wilk is such a killer player, talk about solid foundation man, can he groove!

What I thought was the coolest about that Lollapalooza show was that he was actually set up with his back towards the crowd and had huge, high mirrors in front of him that reflected off him and his drumkit, so it actually looked like he was facing the crowd. Cool effect.....

birch
Old 01-05-2006, 01:07 AM

Default Brad Wilk

What do you think of the Rage Against The Machine (R.I.P.)/Audioslave drummer?
Old 01-05-2006, 05:48 AM
Pioneer Member

One of my top.................15 drummers i'd say for myself. I like his rock style, very fun songs to play.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:34 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
audioslave's so much better than all the $hi+ that's out there.
That is relatively speaking. I like some Audioslave tunes (Getaway Car is a great groove), but I think bands like them are as successful as they are because the competition is so lame. Foo Fighters, Queens of the Stone Age, Audioslave for example, while not great, are much mo' better than lame-o bands like Nickelback.
Old 01-05-2006, 10:46 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins
Why keep repeating yourself for diminishing returns, year after year?
Because its fun? I could play 2 and 4 back beat shuffles all day long in a blues band.

I've always found bands and artists who 'branch out' to new areas to be pretentious. The absolute Poster Child of the phenomena has to be Pearl Jam.

Bands should change to keep up with the times, but they should never leave the original essence of what got them there. Well, they can, if the like, but they have no right to bitch about commercial failure if they do. If they want to play just to play and experience music, then more power to them. But they can't expect their fans to just change and suddenly like their new stuff, because "that old stuff was so lame and cliche".

Think Tom Petty here. Hasn't changed a thing, and his music is timeless. You can't tell a 1984 track from a 2003 track.

This doesn't mean keep playing the same 3 chords and the same cliche lyrics over and over either. But change for artistic sake...bah. Stick to what works for you.

Steve Smith left Journey and rock drumming pretty much forever in 1983ish, but I still hear the foundation of that big tom pounding rock style (and his early fusion stuff before that), even though he's branched of into Indian music and stuff. That's his own personal trek, and he's never been one to disguise it. But rock bands who have less talent than STeve has in his pinky are totally phony when they are "branching out to new musical realms".

In short, bands should evolve with the times, not change for some phony "musical enlightenment". So in that aspect, I agree with you finn.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:07 AM

Stu Strib - what's wrong with Pearl Jam? Most people I know who claim to love them only have Ten and Versus. Some of their best songs are on their later albums - I'm assuming this is their "branching out" period you're talking about? I Am Mine, Given To Fly, Better Man, Present Tense. I do love the hits, but they have done some other good stuff too.

Personally, I find Petty's 1984 stuff as boring as his 2003 stuff. Please don't take offence - I only just joined and I don't want to ruffle feathers and it's just my opinion, but surely if change is dynamic and not changing is static, and music is one of the most dynamic forms of expression, change is essential and inevitable?

IMO, Tom Petty probably puts more effort into sounding today like he did 10/15 years ago than Pearl Jam do into sounding different today than they did 13 years ago.

I prefer Abruzzesse's drumming style to either of their other drummers (still like Cameron, though), but the songs are bigger than the band or band members.

I'm a major PJ fan and think that Vedder has the best male rock voice ever. Cornell is great too, but I prefer Vedder. Dio is/was amazing too, specially on Elf's Wonderworld.

RE OP: I play bass, and I've read Comerford saying he loves that Brad Wilk is always "on the three" and that he has this triplet feel going on - (what would that sort of feel be called - 6/8 timing?) he does with RATM more than Audioslave, and that's what made us bounce. I love him.

Mark
Old 01-05-2006, 11:13 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus
Stu Strib - what's wrong with Pearl Jam? Most people I know who claim to love them only have Ten and Versus. Some of their best songs are on their later albums - I'm assuming this is their "branching out" period you're talking about? I Am Mine, Given To Fly, Better Man, Present Tense. I do love the hits, but they have done some other good stuff too.
Maybe I'm just old. But everything after Vitology was different. I'm not saying they are BAD, I'm saying the changed for the worse, for change sake. It is like they became some non-conformist band that had more fun shouting about republicans then rocking hard like on TEN. They got away from the music and became poets and political commentators.

I would love to love Pearl Jam jam again, but everything I've sample from 1995 and newer is just, well, not very good? I guess the drumming is better? Or maybe I need to tell myself, it isn't 1992 anymore, and I'm not in college anymore?

Ten is in my top 10 albums of all time. So maybe it was the high precedent they set.

Wilk nails the 1/2 time shuffle too, like you said. Listen to Getaway car. That is some serious pocket and feel for a "rock" drummer. Ghosted shuffle notes, are you kidding me? From a guy who used to play in a Rap/Rock band??? Get out!
Old 01-05-2006, 11:36 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
Wilk nails the 1/2 time shuffle too, like you said. Listen to Getaway car. That is some serious pocket and feel for a "rock" drummer. Ghosted shuffle notes, are you kidding me? From a guy who used to play in a Rap/Rock band??? Get out!
Yeah, but even back in Rage he was always pretty tasty in terms of ghosting and nuance. Evil Empire in particular is very loose and funky for such a heavy album.
Old 01-05-2006, 11:49 AM
Stu_Strib

Quote:
Yeah, but even back in Rage he was always pretty tasty in terms of ghosting and nuance. Evil Empire in particular is very loose and funky for such a heavy album.
Yeah, that's what caught my attention. I would have never liked them otherwise probably. They were kind of like discovering the Red Hot Chili Peppers early 1990s.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:38 PM

I have nothing against Audioslave, but it's still a pity RATM broke up...
Old 01-05-2006, 08:04 PM
fourstringdrums

I really liked him in RATM but I find his Audioslave stuff kind of boring and plain.
Old 01-07-2006, 07:40 PM

I think that brad is a great drummer, its definetely wrong to judge a drummer by what he does on the record as far as his real chops. I want to like audioslave and I respect them I guess, but I just can't see how what they're doing is all that original. I mean, its mostly pretty bland, I don't see how anybody could say that the material they do hasn't been done before. Individually of course, I think they're all monsters and they are really fresh in what they play, but the songwriting is just unforgivably tainted.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:00 PM

yeah some of his songs sound kinda sameish. especially in audioslave. i actually thought i was listening to a different song just because of a similar beat.
Old 01-13-2006, 09:08 PM

The Audioslave stuff is a bit more laid back, but i like it just the same.
Old 02-03-2006, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
Because its fun? I could play 2 and 4 back beat shuffles all day long in a blues band.

I've always found bands and artists who 'branch out' to new areas to be pretentious. The absolute Poster Child of the phenomena has to be Pearl Jam.

Bands should change to keep up with the times, but they should never leave the original essence of what got them there. Well, they can, if the like, but they have no right to bitch about commercial failure if they do. If they want to play just to play and experience music, then more power to them. But they can't expect their fans to just change and suddenly like their new stuff, because "that old stuff was so lame and cliche".

Think Tom Petty here. Hasn't changed a thing, and his music is timeless. You can't tell a 1984 track from a 2003 track.

This doesn't mean keep playing the same 3 chords and the same cliche lyrics over and over either. But change for artistic sake...bah. Stick to what works for you.

Steve Smith left Journey and rock drumming pretty much forever in 1983ish, but I still hear the foundation of that big tom pounding rock style (and his early fusion stuff before that), even though he's branched of into Indian music and stuff. That's his own personal trek, and he's never been one to disguise it. But rock bands who have less talent than STeve has in his pinky are totally phony when they are "branching out to new musical realms".

In short, bands should evolve with the times, not change for some phony "musical enlightenment". So in that aspect, I agree with you finn.
I think the point you made about Petty is exactly why i would initially disagree with you, however i agree with you in one way. Bands/artists changing their sound just for the sake of sounding different on every record do seem pretentious to me as well, but i also think it's really boring to hear the same type of record from a band every time. I'm always confused at those ppl who get pissed off when their favourite band changes up their sound a bit or explores a slightly different direction( for example when Metallica started doing slow songs). I guess i'm mostly writing this because i'm a huge Pearl Jam fan and i don't think they change their sound all the time just to sound different, but because they simply enjoy trying different things, and for me it's the main reason why i'm still a big fan after all these years. Also, i fully agree with you that a band should keep the essence of what got then to where they are, but i definitely don't think they should keep up with the "times".

Basically, i think that as long as a band is writing material that comes naturally to them there's no reason to rag on them, but i still think playing the same style for 20 yrs like Petty is incredibely boring.....peace.

I almost forgot to write something about Brad Wilk....he's definitely one of my favourites, and i like both Audioslave and RATM but i think his drumming on RATM was tigher and way more funky and fun to listen to, even though over all i like Audioslave a little more for its musicality.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I think he's great, and the first RATM album and Evil Empire have some amazing grooves on them. Who cares about fills?

But on the other hand, Audioslave is just horrible. It's almost embarassing to watch - all these guys used to be good! Urgh.
I don't think Audioslave is bad, but I did like RATM much more.
I just think the transition from Rage to Audioslave had to much of a genretic contrast to really appeal to Rage fans.
SOAD
Old 08-11-2006, 07:24 PM
Silver Member

I agree that Mr. Wilk is an underrated player, although his current project Audioslave really doesn't do it for me. What I like about him, though, is that he's a very heavy drummer, but he's extremely groovy and funky at the same time. Evil Empire is probably the best I've ever heard him play on record, and it still inspires me every time I listen to it.
Old 08-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Gold Member

i liked RATM a lot more than audioslave, but its still good. i enjoy playin to RATM and i think that hes a good player and i do like evil empire the best probably, also killing in the name is a good song
Old 08-12-2006, 11:59 PM
Pioneer Member

he's probably one of the best of today's creators of fat grooves :). i love the sound of his drums, cause it's not like many others'. his 'boom' kick instead of 'click' (lars ulrich :/), ringing snare, and those simple, yet very groovy GHOST NOTES ! this is what was so great about Bonzo's playing, and Brad is aware of it.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:13 PM

Listen to Revelations, Audioslave's new album. Brad's playing is pretty good all the way through, bit more "sophisticated" than his previous work in Audioslave.

Brad is also great live, saw him last year. I agree with another member that he spices things up more live.

Underated.

GNRFAN
Old 09-11-2006, 08:12 PM

Wilk is fantastic, he lays his snare perfectly, with so much power and groove.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:57 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjl71178
What I thought was the coolest about that Lollapalooza show was that he was actually set up with his back towards the crowd and had huge, high mirrors in front of him that reflected off him and his drumkit, so it actually looked like he was facing the crowd. Cool effect.....
He did a similar thing at the reading festival in '93 or'94 with rage, he had two huge great big truck mirrors either side of his kit, seeing rage, mainly brad was one of the many highlights of that time of life :-)

god I love this mans groove

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=34061
My Latest Addition
Old 09-25-2006, 02:00 PM

yea i really think he´s underrated. And i love RATM and Audioslave though i thought he became a little bit boring with the first Slave record but on out of exile he was awesome. like you said not a big fill-player but i think he´s really capable of playing fils to... amazing drummer =)
Old 09-26-2006, 01:50 AM

my old band did "like a stone"...i loved playing it,but i'm not a big fan of audioslave(or rage for that matter),but wilk grooves.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:00 PM
Pioneer Member

Having given revelations a thorough listen I have to say that i'm well impressed. I absolutely love his playing on this record, and while it is in keeping with his groove orientated style, I feel he has improved since the last record. Jewel of the summertime and moth are my two personal favourites at the moment.

One thing that struck me, and apologies if this comes across as a beginner waffling on in ignorance, but I think his drum sound on this record is incredible, particularly his snare. The way he has them tuned does wonders for his playing style, in my opinion. Just wondering what everyone else's thoughts are on Brad's playing on this record.

Also just for the record I'm a major fan of all rage and audioslave records so it's not like i wasa difficult sell on the new record.