DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 12-29-2008, 05:08 AM
Platinum Member

Default Cried?

Over the years I have come to see that alot of our members are very intellectual and emotional people. Thats why I want to pose this question... Have you ever cried because of the death of one of your favorite musicians?

I have. My first was LeRoi Moore of the Dave Matthews Band.

Any others?
Old 12-29-2008, 05:12 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Cried?

Well, all of those I hold dear are still alive and well. I did however shed a tear when our beloved Steve Irwin passed. He was a "Rock Star" in his own special way.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:22 AM
Platinum Member

Pretty long list....

Off hand in my lifetime well following the musicians who have left a real impact and musical imprint on me: Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Claude Ranger, Chris Nelson, Al Weirtz, Oscar Peterson, Miles Davis, Max Roach, Steve Lacy, Glen Spearman, Michael Brecker, Dennis Irwin, Tony Reedus.... the list goes on...

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 12-29-2008, 05:38 AM
Rebel

Yes I have too. An honest human emotion, very mature topic. That makes men real men.

My Uncle (Nicola) was a drummer, who showed me the first bits. Had a sheer heart attack.

Bon Scott (Ronald Belford Scott) ~ AC/DC. The Tattooed Dragon, He was my inspiration to get my tattoos.

Last edited by Ian Williams; 12-29-2008 at 12:08 PM. Reason: spell check
Old 12-29-2008, 05:54 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
Pretty long list....

Off hand in my lifetime well following the musicians who have left a real impact and musical imprint on me: Elvin Jones, Tony Williams, Claude Ranger, Chris Nelson, Al Weirtz, Oscar Peterson, Miles Davis, Max Roach, Steve Lacy, Glen Spearman, Michael Brecker, Dennis Irwin, Tony Reedus.... the list goes on...
Yes sir. For a lifetime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwilliams View Post
Yes I have too. An honest human emotion, very mature topic. That makes men real men.

My Uncle (Nicola) was a drummer, who showed me the first bits. Had a sheer heart attack.

Bon Scott (Ronald Belford Scott) ~ AC/DC. The Tattooed Dragon, He was my inspiration to get my tattoos.
Thanks my friend. I don't expect many replies to this thread but I look forward to the ones that do. I just think its a healthy thing to talk about.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:15 AM
Platinum Member

Cory, I think the question you ask is are you emotionally overwhelmed by music or musicians.

I think most of us are easily overwhelmed. I was shattered when Jaco Pastorious was karate kicked to death in a Miami club years ago. I lost not only a musician guiding light, but someone who was a neighbor & mentor of sorts and touched me in so many ways.

Crying comes easily to me, and maybe I'm being a wimp for admitting it to the online world.

In the context of music or otherwise, its not something I'm embarrassed or ashamed about. As a matter of fact I think its a sign of humanity, proof that we aren't dead on the inside.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:20 AM
Platinum Member

oh yes...
Roderick Battle..he was my best friend that passed away in September....he was one of the best drummers i know..and ever will know..

Alex
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
Old 12-29-2008, 07:22 AM
Aggressivec

Since am only 15, not many drummers/musicians have died in my lifetime. The only one I can think of is Chuck Chuldiner from death. I get so sad...
Old 12-29-2008, 10:15 AM

Old 12-29-2008, 11:12 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
My first was LeRoi Moore of the Dave Matthews Band.
i wept all night when i heard about LeRoi. he was far away my favorite musician. (even more than Carter) he single-handedly reinvented music for me. that was a very sad day.
Old 12-29-2008, 12:03 PM
nhzoso

Honestly I have never cried when a musician I like died. Bonzo was about the closest I came. Now that I think about it I have never cried over anyone's death that I did not know personally. Man I hope I can still consider myself human : )
Old 12-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Pioneer Member

I've never cried over the passing of a mentor, or just someone I highly respected, I guess I'm a heartless loser.. lol.

I did cry when my daughters were born, and I cried at the passing of my sister, mom and dad. My wife has made me cry a few times just by doing little things for me that shows how much she loves me.

In the movie "Forest Warrior" with Chuck Norris, there is a scene where a father thinks his little girl was blown up by eco terrorists and he breaks down while they are searching for her body, but then she shows up unharmed a few moments later, and the dad starts bawling, and, well, Yeah............. Niagra falls. I also cried when they killed Godzilla in New York..............

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 12-29-2008, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member

To be honest i have cried over the deaths of people but never anyone i don't know personally. I just have too much stuff to worry about as it is to get all sad over someone i don't even know who's died, even if they are famous.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 12-29-2008, 04:22 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Cory, I think the question you ask is are you emotionally overwhelmed by music or musicians.

I think most of us are easily overwhelmed. I was shattered when Jaco Pastorious was karate kicked to death in a Miami club years ago. I lost not only a musician guiding light, but someone who was a neighbor & mentor of sorts and touched me in so many ways.

Crying comes easily to me, and maybe I'm being a wimp for admitting it to the online world.

In the context of music or otherwise, its not something I'm embarrassed or ashamed about. As a matter of fact I think its a sign of humanity, proof that we aren't dead on the inside.
Ya Abe, I guess that is basically what I was asking. That is a tragic experience that you mentioned and I am too familiar with close friends dying a violent death. A close friend said something to me the other day that really shook me. He said... "It appears that we are getting to the age where life stops giving us things and starts taking them away." I guess its true to an extent but there is still so much that we have. LIFE is one of them. Everyday we have a chance to make decisions and do something positive. I just try my best.. lol.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:46 PM

Probably Stevie Ray=I feel sad for anyone who dies though-mainly for the loved ones left.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:08 PM

There must be music for the Angels to sing. We will all remember them and be grateful for their offerings to the world. So I believe we can still cry if it helps.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:22 PM
Gold Member

I almost cried when I heard Dimebag died. And, one of my buddies almost cried when Bon Scott & John Bonham died.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:32 AM

John Lennon...

I'm crying now.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:48 PM
Big_Philly

Not many of my favourite musicians have died during my life. I don't think I would care much, not knowing them personally.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:53 PM

NO.

Old 01-03-2009, 11:17 PM

I'm thankful I was not old enough in 1980 to realize how bad a year that was( Bon Scott, John Bonham, John Lennon) but I was saddened when Eric Carr passed. Also the passing of George Harrison and most recently Mitch Mitchell. I hate finding out well after the fact that musicians I admire have died. That happened to me with Mick Tucker. I didn't know what had happened to him so I decided to google him and found out he'd died 6 years ago of leukemia. Steve Clark was another very sad one but I think that was more due to finding out what a sad life he lived in the first place.
Old 01-03-2009, 11:58 PM
Platinum Member

Mmm...I can honestly say no. The last time I cried was when my dad passed, in 1997. Wow, that's weird! I have a very hard time crying over anything - I'm sure it's not healthy. Although quite often I get the sensation that I might while listening to music that really touches me.
Old 01-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Gold Member

I didn't cry but I was sad to here when Kevin Dubrow died.
I probably would have balled my eyes out when I heard Cliff Burton died.

Oh my god! Randy Rhoads! I probably would have lost it there...
Old 01-04-2009, 09:26 PM
Platinum Member

I can honestly say that the musical death that affected me the most was that of John Lennon. The first recording that I purchased as a child was "I Want to Hold Your Hand". The Beatles are probably the reason that I play music. The tragic way that he was murdered made me react the same way that I did when John F. Kennedy was shot. I also cried when George Harrison past on. I have never heard anyone play the slide guitar like George. When Jerry Garcia Died, I was brought to tears. I followed the Dead around the country for a year in the seventies. I have always felt spiritually connected to these artist. I can sometimes feel their influence come over me when I play. Almost as if they are guiding me.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:36 PM

I have been saddened by the passing of musicians I admire, most recently Mitch Mitchell and Munetaka Higuchi, but the only time I got tears in my eyes was when I was outside the Dakota building where John Lennon lived and died. There was a tribute being paid to him with a moment of silence and I was with a friend in a crowd of many people who gathered there. Right as the moment of silence was ending you could faintly hear his song Imagine playing and it was like it was coming from the sky. Very eerie and highly emotional.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:51 PM

I was sad when Mitch Mitchell died recently... but no tears