DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-28-2008, 04:47 AM

Default Help choosing new heads!

I just recently got a mapex pro m rock and am having trouble choosing new heads. My set is in a small room that is not very well soundproofed and I sometimes get a lot of overtones, so I'm looking for some heads that won't cause a lot of overtones. I'm looking for an overall rock sound; deep warm sounds on the toms nice punchy bass and a fat snare. I was looking at getting an emad 2 for the bass, Evans genera dry for snare and either ec2s or g2 coated for toms. Drum sizes are 14,13,16,18,24. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also will the stock res heads be fine to keep on there or should I change those too? Thanks.
Old 12-28-2008, 05:24 AM
Aggressivec

Default Re: Help choosing new heads!

Hello username! Welcome!
I see that you are very confident with choosing Evans heads, but let me ask you to look past Evans and Remo and go with (the best) head makers... AQUARIAN! Yes, ask anyone on the site who has used Aquarian before and they will tell you that all their products are top notch! No wonder top players like Carmine Appice and Chris Adler use them! And plus, if a head breaks in a short amount of time, you can always call Aquarian and speak to Roy Burns and he will most likely give you a brand new head! Now, I know I sound like a walking advertisement, but really, Aquarian is the way to go.
Do you tune high or low? If you tune low, Performance IIs on your toms will be great. If you tune higher and want a brighter sound, go with Response IIs. For your beast-of-a-kick, go with a Super Kick II or III. The Super Kicks are absolutely incredible and are the best sounding kick heads on the market (they even beat EMADs). For the snare, I would go with a Hi Energy Power Dot, but there are way to many to choose from. Classic Clears for the resonent side sound good as well.
Thats my advise. Take it or leave it, I am an Aquarian convert. I use to be an Evans man like yourself, but then I discovered how amazing Aquarian is. Hope this helps!

-Connor
Old 12-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Gold Member

welcome to the forum! and congrats on the new kit, ProM Rock - awsome kits!

you sound like your on the right track for that warm, fat rock sound - 2ply coated all the way, the Genera and Emad i have no exp. with but the Genera is the head i'm trying next on my snare and i'm looking for the exact sound you are!

anyway you go, good luck and enjoy the new kit!
Old 12-28-2008, 08:24 AM

I'd have to agree 100% with Aggressivec, they are amazing! I myself dont have any on my kit as i have no money to my name lol, but i have played on my best mates kit and with remo heads it sounded good, but with aquarians it sounded simply awesome! so please take his advice, but in the end its up to you :D
Old 12-28-2008, 10:24 PM
Gold Member

If all you're doing is playing in your practice room, use as muffled heads as you want. Whatever sounds good.

But if you're planning to play out unmiked, such a setup will sound soft--that's why they call it muffling--and lifeless from the audience. In that situation you want ring and sustain.

If you're going to do both, get heads that have more ring than you can stand in your practice room and throw studio rings on everything.

Remember, the sound you hear from recordings comes from mikes 1-2" away from the heads and right at the edge--muffling is essential. But overly muffled heads played live in a real venue-sized room sound awful.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:52 PM

Thanks for all your help guys. I think I've narrowed it down to two choices: either coated g2s or performance 2s with either a superkick 2 or emad. I've read a lot about the performance 2s but I'm afraid they might completely kill the sound of my toms and make of sound like I'm hitting cardboard. I am looking for a more deadened sound but not completely deadened. My thought was that I could get coated g2s and just throw some moongels on em. So what do you guys think, performance 2s or coated g2s with moongels?
Old 12-29-2008, 04:11 AM

ec2 clear they are like g2s but with a dampening ring
Old 12-29-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by username View Post
Thanks for all your help guys. I think I've narrowed it down to two choices: either coated g2s or performance 2s with either a superkick 2 or emad. I've read a lot about the performance 2s but I'm afraid they might completely kill the sound of my toms and make of sound like I'm hitting cardboard. I am looking for a more deadened sound but not completely deadened. My thought was that I could get coated g2s and just throw some moongels on em. So what do you guys think, performance 2s or coated g2s with moongels?

Coated G2's.

I myself use them over Clear G1's, and they are fantastic. They are warm, durable (if you really are killing heads), have great coating (I guess that's durable... whatever.), have gobs of sustain, and work great on all toms. Put one on your 12" rack, and it will sing beautifully at both low and high tunings. Throw one on your 16" floor, and you'll have a tom that kicks ass and takes names: low, rumbly, and really takes charge. [The sizes for the toms are just examples, those are my sized toms. I don't think it'll make much of a difference]

And honestly, it's not terribly hard to tune them to not have overtones. I am running no muffling on my toms (except when the floor gets a little bit out of hand with the sustain) and have no unpleasant overtones/ringing, and both of my toms can be heard (pleasantly) through my jam-mates playing.

Go for the G2's.