DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-26-2008, 02:31 AM
Silver Member

Default The definitive poor man's internal mic'ing system

Okay, i was sick of the forrest of music stand tripods around my kit so i wanted to get some LP mic claws. Then i saw the "on stage stands" DM50 mic holders really cheap on ebay (go figure) for like as cheap as 8 bucks each plus ship:

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-PAK-DM50-DRUM-...713.m153.l1262

So i got 1 to see if it would clamp onto my die cast rim. It could. Problem was (and i wasn't thinking when i bought it) that it wouldn't work with my RIMS style suspension mount. Being the industrious and creative hardware guy, i was determined to come up with a solution. So i drilled out the bolts that attached the clip to the bracket, unscrewed one of the bolts on my suspension mount and then just bolted the bracket right onto the suspension mount recieving plate and it ended up looking like this:

So then i figured, hell, why i don't i just find a bolt to bolt this sucker on the inside of the drum?

bottom view:

Now to make this all happen, i had to use a c-clamp, a sturdy bench, a drill with a 1/4" and a 1/8" bit for metal drilling. I had to put 2 holes in that bracket that weren't there. For the internal mic'ing, the bracket bolted right onto one of my badge bolts so no drilling was necessary. I imagine using lug bolts could work too, if they're spaced out enough. Now to get the cable connected, i'll probably put holes on my resonants with a 2" drum O's kit:

http://www.indoorstorm.com/Drum_Acce...-c-40_121.html

or just rewire some cables after stringing them through the port hole.

I think my bass drum's badge is right on the top, so i'm gonna use the same bracket and then just drop the mic closer to the strike point with a small gooseneck

Now the guy whose ebay auction i listed just sold me a 6 pack of those mic holders on sale for 8 bucks each so just offer him that much and i'm sure he'd take it.

Internal mic system= $8.00 if you have a drill.

Merry christmas to all, 'twas my gift to the drummerworld community.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:02 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: The definitive poor man's internal mic'ing system

Hey great job Diosdude, 1 comment....cutting any hole in your reso head kills the tom sound, in my opinion of course....I'd go the extra mile and install a real XLR jack into the toms, otherwise, who needs a premium May system?
Old 12-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Silver Member

Yeah man, i hear you. I always wanted that may mic system but there's no way i'm going to fork up that much cash for it. I was going to ask about porting the drum head, if even a 2" port would put the calabash on resonance so i think i'm just going to run an xlr cable right out of the port hole and then reconnect/ solder it to the end. I definitely don't want to do any extra drilling on my beloved bubinga shells (even though they're just ddrums, hehe). Problem solved.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

I think there's a jack fixture on the market that uses the vent hole, yet still allows air to escape from it...?

My only reservation with this mic'ing method is that once you've mounted the mic's, they're in there, so you'll have to remove a head every time something needs adjusting. Plus, you'll always be using the mic's, even at rehearsals, practice, etc. which will wear your mic diaphragms out faster. If I was on tour, I'd do this without blinking, but being the weekend warrior I am, I wouldn't. (Except the bass drum, 'cause I can easily remove the mic. I used an even easier DIY method for this that uses my tom mount bracket, explained in another thread.)
Old 12-27-2008, 04:31 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmdrum View Post
I think there's a jack fixture on the market that uses the vent hole, yet still allows air to escape from it...?

My only reservation with this mic'ing method is that once you've mounted the mic's, they're in there, so you'll have to remove a head every time something needs adjusting. Plus, you'll always be using the mic's, even at rehearsals, practice, etc. which will wear your mic diaphragms out faster. If I was on tour, I'd do this without blinking, but being the weekend warrior I am, I wouldn't. (Except the bass drum, 'cause I can easily remove the mic. I used an even easier DIY method for this that uses my tom mount bracket, explained in another thread.)

I am mainly interested in internal mics for recording purposes to eliminate xtalk and bleed from other sound sources. Gating out anything other than the source drum would be a piece of cake, plus it would make possible a totally wicked stereo or surround field in the playback. Right now my band is just in the process of amassing recording gear, i think we'll have some polished tracks done by mid-late february, i'll keep you guys posted on the results of recording with internal mics using this makeshift mount.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

diosdude,

Didn't read through the entire thread, so my apologies if this has already been discussed ad naseum, but I read that you seem a bit concerned about how to hook up the cable to the mike, as it was installed inside the drum.
I believe there's a plug made for that type of connection ("XLR", right?) where the cable is attached at 90 degrees from the plug (as opposed to straight in from the end).
Seems this would clear the resonant side head with ease and you could them fit the cable through the vent hole (might require splicing, or at least dissassembly/reassembly of the wire-to-plug connection, in order to get the cable through the hole).
A little solder and a soldering iron would do the trick, although it would have to be a "permanent" installation, at that point.
Very cool idea you've got going there, though.

Elvis
Old 05-14-2009, 03:58 AM
Pioneer Member

So this is solely for recording, only reason I ask is if you play with your kit unmic'd like that you are really going to lose tone and resonance from your toms. Great find on the mounts.
Old 05-17-2009, 01:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmdrum View Post
I think there's a jack fixture on the market that uses the vent hole, yet still allows air to escape from it.?
Internal mic'ing ain't what its cracked-up to be. Bass drum OK, but toms and snare... you'll find out.
Attached Images

Old 05-17-2009, 04:30 AM
Silver Member

I never really cared for the sound of internal mics except for the bassdrum of course. To me the drums all sound the same. All I seem to hear is the attack of the stick hitting the head. You don't hear much tone but you would think that you would. Listen here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiqbYB61ClE Nice job on what you have done there. If it works and you like it, it's even better.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:51 PM
Silver Member

Wolfmoon,

Please check your PM.

Elvis