DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-25-2008, 07:18 PM

Default Vic Firth 7a

Hi guys and merry x-mas to u all:)
I bought a pair of Vic Firth 7a sticks the other day. I love them! I have been using 5a and 5b but they felt kinda heavy and my wrists got really tired from using them.

Anyway..the downside with the 7a is that they seem to not last more than one gig or rehearsal. Is their any pair out there that has close to the exactly same weigth but lasts longer?
Old 12-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Vic Firth 7a

I think anything made by Vater in the 7a would hold up just a little bit longer. Nothing to write home to mom about. You might get a few more sessions in with them.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:54 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy View Post
I think anything made by Vater in the 7a would hold up just a little bit longer. Nothing to write home to mom about. You might get a few more sessions in with them.
I have noticed that Vater's seem to last longer. But I like the feel more of Vic.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinsyk17 View Post
I have noticed that Vater's seem to last longer. But I like the feel more of Vic.
I agree. Vic's are a bit more grainy I think too. Vater's are fairly smooth.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:51 PM

The feel of Vic Firth is very nice indeed. But it seems like the wood is kinda soft. What kind of sticks are u guys using? Thanx for replying by the way:)
Old 12-25-2008, 10:57 PM
jay norem

It seems to me that for a guy playing hard rock music a 7A of any make wouldn't be the way to go, I don't know. I've used Vic Firth 7A's for awhile now and I like them fine, but then I don't play rock music.
If you're slamming a lot of rim-shots and all that I guess you'd be breaking them alright. A light stick that can stand up to that style of drumming? Maybe it's physically impossible, I don't know.
Old 12-25-2008, 10:58 PM
Platinum Member

Right now I'm using VF 5A Nylon tips.
Old 12-25-2008, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay norem View Post
It seems to me that for a guy playing hard rock music a 7A of any make wouldn't be the way to go, I don't know. I've used Vic Firth 7A's for awhile now and I like them fine, but then I don't play rock music.
If you're slamming a lot of rim-shots and all that I guess you'd be breaking them alright. A light stick that can stand up to that style of drumming? Maybe it's physically impossible, I don't know.
I dont do a lot of rimshots but I hit kinda hard I guess. My ideal stick would be at 7a that lasts longer. But like u say..that might be an oxymoron. With the 7a`s my drums sound nicer and I can hit hard without making to much volume. And my technique gets better too. What other Vic Firth sticks are in the same neighborhood as the 7a`s?

Greetings from Norway
Old 12-25-2008, 11:47 PM
jay norem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fanzy Pants View Post
Greetings from Norway
My family on both sides is from Norway. I went there once, first to Stavanger and then on to an island in the fjiords called Siornoy, although I know I'm spelling it wrong. It's where my father's family are from. I wanted to go to Oslo but there wasn't enough time.
Stavanger seemed pretty sleepy to me. But what a beautful country, and I loved riding on the ferry through the fjiords. And on the way over to the island we took a hydrofoil, which was pretty cool.
Old 12-26-2008, 12:11 AM
Aggressivec

Well, I have noticed a few things in my couple years of drumming. It wasn't until this summer when I bought my first pair of Vic Firth's. I was in love. The feel was absolutely amazing. I actually still have the 2Bs that I bought in July! The 5As that I got broke fairly quickly, but they were amazing and have earned the title as my favorite stick. I then experimented with other brands. Pro-Mark (eww) was horrible. Way to light, no power, chipped too easily, ect. Vater was great! They make sticks that are a tad heavier then VFs and can really deliver if you want power. Vater's are literaly INDESTRUCTABLE. I cannot break them (except for my Stewart Copeland sticks... ): ). If you want 7As, go with Vater. I garrentey that they will last longer. VFs still have got the feel though!
Old 12-26-2008, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggressivec View Post
Well, I have noticed a few things in my couple years of drumming. It wasn't until this summer when I bought my first pair of Vic Firth's. I was in love. The feel was absolutely amazing. I actually still have the 2Bs that I bought in July! The 5As that I got broke fairly quickly, but they were amazing and have earned the title as my favorite stick. I then experimented with other brands. Pro-Mark (eww) was horrible. Way to light, no power, chipped too easily, ect. Vater was great! They make sticks that are a tad heavier then VFs and can really deliver if you want power. Vater's are literaly INDESTRUCTABLE. I cannot break them (except for my Stewart Copeland sticks... ): ). If you want 7As, go with Vater. I garrentey that they will last longer. VFs still have got the feel though!
I'll double on that.

Vater's aren't indestrucable, but hell they don't break. I actually am using 7a Vaters right now. I just wish they were like an inch longer...
Old 12-26-2008, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delwrick View Post
I'll double on that.

Vater's aren't indestrucable, but hell they don't break. I actually am using 7a Vaters right now. I just wish they were like an inch longer...
It looks like Vater 7A Manhatten is a little longer than the regular 7A. I`m gonna check them out as soon as the x-mas holiday is over:)
Old 12-26-2008, 03:02 PM
Gold Member

I loved the Vic 7As until their tips started chipping after a few minutes.

Since I switched to Promark hickorys I never have that problem.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:50 PM

Check out the stick manufacturers' sites to get some ideas about what's available.

Also, sticks are generally made from three kinds of wood: hickory, maple, and oak. All three are hardwoods.

Oak is probably the hardest/densest and most durable but I also think they transmit the most impact to your hands. I don't like oak.

I use 5A and 7A sticks in both hickory and maple. I think you can get volume out of both but maple is much lighter and probably less durable than hickory (but I almost never break sticks).

Another option for you is to try maple sticks in larger diameters. Vic Firth has several models in the American Custom line. The SD9 Driver may give you what you need.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:12 PM
Silver Member

Try vic firths SD4 combo, im pretty sure its the same diameter as the 7a but maybe a bit longer or shorter, i forget which one, but try it anyway, couldn't hurt.
Old 12-26-2008, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay norem View Post
My family on both sides is from Norway. I went there once, first to Stavanger and then on to an island in the fjiords called Siornoy, although I know I'm spelling it wrong. It's where my father's family are from. I wanted to go to Oslo but there wasn't enough time.
Stavanger seemed pretty sleepy to me. But what a beautful country, and I loved riding on the ferry through the fjiords. And on the way over to the island we took a hydrofoil, which was pretty cool.
Nice to hear that you enjoyed your stay in Norway. Cant remember if I ever been to Stavanger actually...the fjiords are amazing for sure. I live in a town close to Oslo called Drammen by the way.

Thank you guys for being helpful in my search for a pair of sticks that is best suited for my drumming. Keep them tips coming! :)
Old 12-27-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Fanzy Pants View Post
It looks like Vater 7A Manhatten is a little longer than the regular 7A. I`m gonna check them out as soon as the x-mas holiday is over:)
I'm using the manhattens! DANG! I guess another inch? Gosh I feel like I have short arms now.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:07 AM
Gold Member

Promark 7a Oak, harder wood that might hold up a little better...