DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-23-2008, 05:21 AM

Default Normal for snare side reso?

Recently I purchased a DW solid shell snare. I put new Evans heads on with an Evans Hazy 300 on the snare side. I don't over tension my heads, the batter is at 86 on the drum dial and the snare side is at 82.

The issue is with tightening down the head I'm less than an 8th inch about the bearing edge. I've never had a snare head stretch so much before. Also, this head wasn't used before and stretched out previously.

So are there any issue having so little rim clearance above the bearing edge?
Old 12-23-2008, 11:30 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Normal for snare side reso?

Strange? I have three DW solids and have used a bunch of different heads on them including Evans. My DD setings are 90 for the batter and 80 for the snare side. I've had the snare side heads as high as 100 and batters up to 95 and haven't experienced this.

Is this happening with both heads or just the snare side head?
Old 12-24-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
Strange? I have three DW solids and have used a bunch of different heads on them including Evans. My DD setings are 90 for the batter and 80 for the snare side. I've had the snare side heads as high as 100 and batters up to 95 and haven't experienced this.

Is this happening with both heads or just the snare side head?
The batter head is normal. Its just the snare side. I brought everything up to tension evenly when I first put it on. And then I played on it for a practice, checked it again and had to retension it a bit. It seemed like the head just kept stretching and has now finally come to a spot where it is stable.

Also, the snare sounds good and is nice and sensitive it just seems like the head stretched way more then most heads and is leaving me with little clearance above the bearing edge from the rim.
Old 12-24-2008, 01:01 AM
Pioneer Member

Since the snare side head in much thinner than the batter head it will stretch a bit more. If you like the sound don't worry about it.

Some guys crank up the bottom head so tight that the top of the hoop is about flush with the bearing edge.

As long as the head isn't resting on the snare stand's basket it shouldn't be a problem.

HTH
Old 12-24-2008, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Freddy View Post
Since the snare side head in much thinner than the batter head it will stretch a bit more. If you like the sound don't worry about it.

Some guys crank up the bottom head so tight that the top of the hoop is about flush with the bearing edge.

As long as the head isn't resting on the snare stand's basket it shouldn't be a problem.

HTH
Thanks for the answers. I know what your saying but I'm not cranking my head super tight but in light of that I'm still an 8th inch from being flush to the bearing edge. It just seems like excess stretching from the head.