DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-20-2008, 07:52 PM
Gold Member

Default Evans coated G2 for snare batter

I have a Ludwig 6.5x14 supraphonic for my main snare drum. I am currently playing in a rock gig, so I need a fat sound with a head that's durable. I've been playing for years with a coated emp over snare side ambassador and it usually sounds great ( a la John Bonham). I put an Evans coated G2 on the snare batter since I have had issues with Remo's consistency over the years and was bitten again recently. I figured that they would sound similar since both are a coated, open 2 ply head. Wow, I was pleasantly surprised. The G2 sounded better than the emp and the coating hasn't come off at all, unlike the emp which loses alot of coating on 1 gig. I'm on my 5th gig with no sign of sound diminishment and I'm a pretty hard hitter. I usually switch out snare heads after 4 or 5 gigs. Here's a vote for an Evans G2 coated snare head! Anyone else?
Old 12-21-2008, 04:33 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Evans coated G2 for snare batter

Ironic...I am the opposite. I have been a long time user of Evans. Usually clear G2s/G1s with a power center on the snare. But recently I have been giving Remo a second chance. I have gone to the industry standard coated ambassador over clear ambassador on all the drums with a clear PS3 on the kick. I just realized how much I missed the Remo sound. Remo heads tend to wear more quickly but I think they sound better than Evans. Fortunately I can afford to change heads frequently so I have gone back to Remo for now.
Old 12-21-2008, 06:59 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Masters View Post
Ironic...I am the opposite. I have been a long time user of Evans. Usually clear G2s/G1s with a power center on the snare. But recently I have been giving Remo a second chance. I have gone to the industry standard coated ambassador over clear ambassador on all the drums with a clear PS3 on the kick. I just realized how much I missed the Remo sound. Remo heads tend to wear more quickly but I think they sound better than Evans. Fortunately I can afford to change heads frequently so I have gone back to Remo for now.
I know what you mean as I had Evans clear G2's over G1's on my toms but went back to the Remo clear emps over clear ambassadors. The Remo sound does sound better IMO. I do like the coated G2 on my snare drum right now though. I played a coated ambassador on top for a long time, but I blew through them too quickly. I went to the coated emp but had consistency issues (dead heads more often than I liked...a common problem with Remo) so I tried the coated G2. It sounds great on my snare, no complaints so far.
Old 12-21-2008, 07:09 PM
Administrator

I recently took an Evans HD dry off of my Steambent snare looking for a fatter old school sound and put a used G2 from my 14 inch floor tom. It sounds great. Good choice.
Old 12-21-2008, 08:15 PM

I use g2 over hazy 300 on my pearl ultracast 6 and its perfect.
Paiste GiantBeat/2oo2/602/signature
Old 12-22-2008, 02:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I recently took an Evans HD dry off of my Steambent snare looking for a fatter old school sound and put a used G2 from my 14 inch floor tom. It sounds great. Good choice.
Cool, an experiment turned successful! I don't know if a coated G2 would work on alot of different snares, but it works great on my 6.5 supra. The sound is fat, has nice meaty mids with a nice bite and pop and the head has held up quite well. I don't use any muffling on it at all and it sounds really good. The supra has very little overtones associated with it, even though it's metal, and has a nice inherant high end to it so like Bonham and his use of a coated emp on his 6.5 supra, the head works out great.
Old 12-22-2008, 02:16 AM
Gold Member

I should mention that I run an S-hoop on my snare batter. Man, what a great investment. It cleaned the sound up considerably, focusing it and removing those weird high overtones you get sometimes. They even featured my testimonial on their website!

http://www.bigbangdist.com/shoop.htm