DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-20-2008, 07:31 AM

Default Does the color change the sound?

My kit need new reso heads, certainly theyre gonna be ambassadors, but for the look was thinking in ebony. The thing is clear ambassador heads sounds equal or different than ebony ambassador heads?
Old 12-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Does the color change the sound?

A "direct quote" from the Remo catalog. "....the brightest sounding Clear, to the darkest sounding Coated, with the Smooth White falling between the two". I'll assume by that, the ebony and the smooth white are equal.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:04 AM
Silver Member

There really is no sound difference between the clear and black Ambassadors. The black Pinstripes however do sound different than the clear ones because the ebony film is a little heavier.

The Ebony™ Ambassador® heads are medium-weight heads made with a single ply 10 mil Mylar® film to produce an open, warm and resonant sound with plenty of attack. Ebony Ambassador heads are ideal for batter and resonant heads for tom toms and are known as the standard of the industry for front bass heads.

The Clear Ambassador® heads are medium-weight heads made with a single ply 10-mil Mylar® film to produce an open, bright, and resonant sound with plenty of attack.

The Ebony® Pinstripe® heads are made with two (10- & 5-mil) Mylar® plies with a measured layer of a ring reducing agent applied between them at the outer edge of their trademark stripe to dampen high frequency overtones for warm resonance. Ebony® Pinstripe®’s quick decay makes them ideal heads for the “fat” sounds of Rock and R&B and for those who want more low end sounds with moderate attack and response characteristics.

Clear Pinstripe® heads are made with two 7-mil Mylar® plies, and have quick decay, making them ideal heads for the “fat” sounds of Pop, Rock and R&B and for those who want a low pitched sound with moderate attack and response characteristics.
Old 12-21-2008, 02:07 AM

I have heard that Smooth Whites are a bit warmer than Clears (if by the tiniest bit even) and the Ebonies a bit darker. I would imagine the sound being a bit different in Whites/Ebonies than Clear, they are putting new materials into the mylar after all.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
There really is no sound difference between the clear and black Ambassadors. The black Pinstripes however do sound different than the clear ones because the ebony film is a little heavier.

The Ebony™ Ambassador® heads are medium-weight heads made with a single ply 10 mil Mylar® film to produce an open, warm and resonant sound with plenty of attack. Ebony Ambassador heads are ideal for batter and resonant heads for tom toms and are known as the standard of the industry for front bass heads.

The Clear Ambassador® heads are medium-weight heads made with a single ply 10-mil Mylar® film to produce an open, bright, and resonant sound with plenty of attack.

The Ebony® Pinstripe® heads are made with two (10- & 5-mil) Mylar® plies with a measured layer of a ring reducing agent applied between them at the outer edge of their trademark stripe to dampen high frequency overtones for warm resonance. Ebony® Pinstripe®’s quick decay makes them ideal heads for the “fat” sounds of Rock and R&B and for those who want more low end sounds with moderate attack and response characteristics.

Clear Pinstripe® heads are made with two 7-mil Mylar® plies, and have quick decay, making them ideal heads for the “fat” sounds of Pop, Rock and R&B and for those who want a low pitched sound with moderate attack and response characteristics.
as you can see between clear and ebony ambassador description one is open bright and the other is open warm thats what puzzles me.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrewTheShoe View Post
I have heard that Smooth Whites are a bit warmer than Clears (if by the tiniest bit even) and the Ebonies a bit darker. I would imagine the sound being a bit different in Whites/Ebonies than Clear, they are putting new materials into the mylar after all.
thats true i have smooth white emperors on toms and are warmer nice sound.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:05 AM

I have all three varieites of non-coated Ambys & find the ebonies & clears sound the same. Smooth whites sound a little "darker", with fewer overtones.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:55 AM
Gold Member

I'm running the ebony Ambassadors on my DW kit, and they sound great, not much different than clears.
Attached Images

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums