DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-18-2008, 05:53 PM
nhzoso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Stereo system

I am trying to piece together a system I can play to CD's with. I have a set of speakers that are 200w rated and am thinking of buying a receiver that is rated for 70watts per channel. What will be the limiting factor the receiver or the speakers as to how loud it will be? I also have a CD player that will plug into the receiver but I dont think that has any affect on the sound.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-19-2008, 01:00 PM
nhzoso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stereo system

Ok well I guess nothing says look it up yourself quite like a blank thread. LOL
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stereo system

The amp is the limiting factor. The speakers determine the maximum load they can take based on the amp's output. The CD player should work at line level, so no, that will have no effect on the volume output. A good CD player can make a difference to subjective sound quality, but in this day and age CD Players are largely all good quality.

You may also need to check the impedence of the amp and speakers. 8 Ohm (denoted by the 'Omega' sign) is standard and most amps will drive 4-16 Ohm speakers. Older units tend to drive a smaller range, typically 4 or 8. I have an old pair of speakers that run at 4 Ohms, but most run at 8. Without going into too much detail, the wattage denotes the power of the 'drive' how much 'push' the amp gives and the impedence denotes the 'amount' being pushed (actually this is technically incorrect, the impedence is related to the current and is not the current itself). The best analogy is actually of a water pipe. The Wattage is the power which the water is pushed by and the impedence is the bore of the pipe, which is directly related to the amount of water that can be pushed through it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-19-2008, 01:23 PM
Muffled Tom's Avatar
Muffled Tom Muffled Tom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Brazil
Posts: 321
Default Re: Stereo system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mediocrefunkybeat View Post
The amp is the limiting factor. The speakers determine the maximum load they can take based on the amp's output. The CD player should work at line level, so no, that will have no effect on the volume output. A good CD player can make a difference to subjective sound quality, but in this day and age CD Players are largely all good quality.

You may also need to check the impedence of the amp and speakers. 8 Ohm (denoted by the 'Omega' sign) is standard and most amps will drive 4-16 Ohm speakers. Older units tend to drive a smaller range, typically 4 or 8. I have an old pair of speakers that run at 4 Ohms, but most run at 8. Without going into too much detail, the wattage denotes the power of the 'drive' how much 'push' the amp gives and the impedence denotes the 'amount' being pushed (actually this is technically incorrect, the impedence is related to the current and is not the current itself). The best analogy is actually of a water pipe. The Wattage is the power which the water is pushed by and the impedence is the bore of the pipe, which is directly related to the amount of water that can be pushed through it.
so, like, how do you acquire so much knowledge?
__________________
My favorite bands: Pink Floyd, Radiohead, Jimi Hendrix Experience, Red Hot Chili Peppers
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stereo system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffled Tom View Post
so, like, how do you acquire so much knowledge?
A/S Music Technology, BTEC Diploma in Music Technology (with Awards in composition, performance and... something else I think) and the first term of my Degree in Music Technology.

And lots of books. And the Internet. But there's guys on here who know a lot more than me. This is quite simple stuff really, just do some reading.

www.soundonsound.com is a good place to start. It's a great magazine - although a bit daunting when you first look at it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-23-2008, 09:28 PM
nhzoso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stereo system

Thanks for the tips MFB, I think you should start your own search engine.. MFB.com : )
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stereo system

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
Thanks for the tips MFB, I think you should start your own search engine.. MFB.com : )
Right now I think I have the time...

No problem at all.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-28-2008, 09:23 PM
Baddstuff Baddstuff is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: New York City
Posts: 230
Default Re: Stereo system

also keep in mind that some speakers are more sensitive than others, meaning they need less power to get to a high volume while others require more power to get to the same volume.
__________________
MY WEBSITE: http://www.electriceyes.us
MYSPACE: http://www.myspace.com/baddstuff
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-28-2008, 10:01 PM
GRUNTERSDAD's Avatar
GRUNTERSDAD GRUNTERSDAD is offline
Administrator
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Florida's West Coast
Posts: 15,467
Default Re: Stereo system

Why not a set of headphones and the CD player of your choice. I would have to turn my stereo up too loud to hear it over the drums. My neighbors are cool right now with just drum sounds and wouldn't want to take a chance with loud music.
__________________
Thank you for sharing my day.
Gretsch Renown
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-28-2008, 11:33 PM
Mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Stereo system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddstuff View Post
also keep in mind that some speakers are more sensitive than others, meaning they need less power to get to a high volume while others require more power to get to the same volume.
That's the impedence rating.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-29-2008, 04:13 PM
intooder's Avatar
intooder intooder is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Indiana, USA
Posts: 483
Default Re: Stereo system

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
Thanks for the tips MFB, I think you should start your own search engine.. MFB.com : )
I vote for "MF Boogle".
__________________
PEWFLADCC - Chief of Staff
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com