DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-17-2008, 09:44 AM

Default Fitting a snare side reso

Hi guys

Having finally got to grips with tom heads and tuning, I thought I'd change my snare side reso from the stock one it came with.

Problem is, when I put it on and tighten the lugs evenly, there is something very odd going on round the lugs either side of the snare fitting - the head stays flabbier and wrinkled whilst the others get tighter and move towards having a note.

Is this normal?

Should I tighten them up additionally until the wrinkle goes before then tuning to an even note around the lugs?

I've done a search and seen some references to this, and the fact that it is to do with the sanre 'bed' but I haven't found a clear answer about how to approach this.

Cheers
Old 12-17-2008, 10:34 AM
Big_Philly

Default Re: Fitting a snare side reso

You are right, it is because of the snare bed. The snare drum's shell is slightly less deep around the snare wires to make sure the snare wires make good contact with the head.

You will need to get rid of the wrinkles, obviously, but try to do so by tuning the tension rods that are not directly around the snare wire suspension if you know what I mean. Having slightly less tension directly under the snare wires reduces the snare buzz.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Philly View Post
Having slightly less tension directly under the snare wires reduces the snare buzz.
Yes cheers. so unlike other drums or th etop of the snare, there is not need to have an even 'pitch ' at each lug?
Old 12-20-2008, 02:53 PM
Big_Philly

Not necessarily. Do try to get the pitch at the 4 lugs surrounding the snare wires equal, and the other lugs as well. But snare side heads are very thin and will not really make a major contribution to the pitch of the drum. They do determine how the snares sound, and how sensitive they are.
Old 12-20-2008, 03:35 PM

well you learn something new everyday ey! nothing worse than a bass guitar rattling your snare when your not playing.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:16 AM

i know this maybe a crazy idea, but.....

have you ever watched How It's Made on the discovery channel. anyways on thier they showed how they make snare drums. the techique they showed how to put the bottom head on the snare drum was to get the tension rods like you want it and then use a heat gun on the head to shrink the head around the bed part of the bottom of the snare and to get the wrinkles out around the edge of the drum.

you might beable to find a video of it on youtube, but that's about the only way i can think of to get the head to fit right on the snare.
Old 12-23-2008, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Philly View Post
You are right, it is because of the snare bed. The snare drum's shell is slightly less deep around the snare wires to make sure the snare wires make good contact with the head.

You will need to get rid of the wrinkles, obviously, but try to do so by tuning the tension rods that are not directly around the snare wire suspension if you know what I mean. Having slightly less tension directly under the snare wires reduces the snare buzz.

Hope this helps.
So your saying don't tighten the lugs near either end of the strainer as much?