DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 12-16-2008, 10:27 PM

Default DW 5002 seperation

I just got a second bass, and I'de like to convert my DW 5002's to singles. I can just slip the beater on the other pedal, but I still have to connect them to get the spring on the main pedal. Is there a way to take off the left spring? I tried heating the set screw with a heat gun but I couldn't seem to loosen it.

Thanks,
Ian
Old 12-16-2008, 10:44 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: DW 5002 seperation

you have to loosen the lock nut then push the threaded shaft down to get the bottom nut to turn. It seats in the hole so it will not loosen in its own.

Here it is from the manual

DW Drum Pedal Springs feature an internal noise reduction damper as well as a tension locking mechanism. To increase or decrease the spring tension loosen the round knurled nut at the base of the spring assembly and pull down on the spring to release the locking hex nut. Tighten or loosen the lock nut to the create the desired tension, then release the hex nut and retighten knurled nut to lock-in the adjustment.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 12-17-2008, 02:25 PM
Pioneer Member

That's odd I have an older set of 5000's and the spring was on the slave pedal. Don't forget you'll need to take off the triangular shaped adapter that the spring hooks onto and put it on the slave pedal as well. Before you pull out a heat gun to loosen up a bolt, check the manufacturers web site or ask here, those things get hot and can do damage to the surfaces and metal.
Old 12-18-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
That's odd I have an older set of 5000's and the spring was on the slave pedal. Don't forget you'll need to take off the triangular shaped adapter that the spring hooks onto and put it on the slave pedal as well. Before you pull out a heat gun to loosen up a bolt, check the manufacturers web site or ask here, those things get hot and can do damage to the surfaces and metal.
Yes, that triangle piece (stroke adjustment) is what I'm talking about. The spring is simple to get off. For some reason the set screw on it doesn't loosen.

BTW, this is the version I have: DW 5002 AD3 if you need to see it. You can see on the left spring there is a black finished triangle attachment on the axle.

Thanks.

Last edited by ian2accurate; 12-18-2008 at 01:31 AM.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:19 AM
Pioneer Member

Try a product called liquid wrench and put a few drops on the set screw and let it soak in. DW probably used loc-tite to put the screw in so it wouldn't back out.
Old 12-18-2008, 03:23 PM
Platinum Member

Use a heat gun or very hot hair dryer to heat up the screw. It will come loose
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 12-19-2008, 01:35 AM
Silver Member

okay guys, i see a couple posts here using wrong physics. When you heat metal, it expands, causing more tightness if it is a bolt or screw. I own a restaurant and i have to drain hot oil out of fryers using an aluminum tube that screws into the drain. After the hot oil is emptied, sometimes the pipes are stuck from the expansion of the aluminum molecules, I ice them down and they unscrew like there was never a problem. Use ice instead.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:24 AM
Platinum Member

I have changed hinges on the DW pedals many times, the heat softens the LocTite in the threads, Trust me it works.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 12-21-2008, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by konaboy View Post
Try a product called liquid wrench and put a few drops on the set screw and let it soak in. DW probably used loc-tite to put the screw in so it wouldn't back out.
I'll try that, maybe it needs something to loosen it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
I have changed hinges on the DW pedals many times, the heat softens the LocTite in the threads, Trust me it works.
I used a heat gun for about 30seconds to a minute, it was HOT, but didn't come out. It felt like the allen wrench was stripping easily. I'll try it again with some other wrenches and see if it will work. It just didn't seem to budge at all.

Diosdue: That's true that metal expands, but you have to consider what is expanding. The heat isn't going to focus only on the small set screw, most of it will be absorbed by the surrounding material. When material with a hole heats, the hole will expand, although the screw will also expand at some rate as well. Anyway, the heat is just to loosen the loc-tite though, not to expand the material.

Thanks for the help,
Ian