DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 12-12-2008, 06:55 PM
Aggressivec

Default Show pics of your... SABIANS!

Hello all, I am a rabid supporter of Sabian cymbals, and I would like to see what you all own! Please post pics and if possible, review the cymbal. I'll post mine when I find my camera lol.
Old 12-12-2008, 06:57 PM
peanut23s

Default Re: Show pics of your... SABIANS!

mine are b8s not to great but am soon upgrading to a set full of aas/aaxs will be awesome
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2008, 07:06 PM
Platinum Member

Join the Sabian social group here on DW:

http://drummerworld.com/forums/group.php?groupid=13
Old 12-12-2008, 09:16 PM

Mine are here.
I use them occasionally.
Happy with then. Good for the price

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=38400

If you do a search you should see many more.
Old 12-12-2008, 09:19 PM
cjbee

Here are the 2 latest additions to my collection:

1) 20" Vault Artisan Light Ride
2) 22" HH Raw-Bell Dry Crash/Ride Prototype
Attached Images

Old 12-12-2008, 09:20 PM
Platinum Member

Beautiful cymbals, cjbee! Is that prototype a thinner RBDR?
Old 12-12-2008, 09:23 PM
cjbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
Beautiful cymbals, cjbee! Is that prototype a thinner RBDR?
Yeah, basically. It's larger, lighter, thinner, and has a slightly different profile. To me, it retains all of the renowned qualities of the regular RBDR (nice, clear stick ping and defined and strong bell) while adding a dark, underlaying wash and a beautiful crashing ability. I'd say it's like a traditional jazz ride meets a modern rock ride.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:04 PM
peanut23s

how much will you be selling that aa rbdr agressive?

is it in good condition?
Old 12-12-2008, 10:35 PM
Aggressivec

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut23s View Post
how much will you be selling that aa rbdr agressive?

is it in good condition?
Yeah, I have had it for about 6 months, but there is only stick markings. I have taken excellent care of it, for it is my baby. If you are interested in it, unfortunately you may have to wait til March or April. If you still want it then, I'll be sure to sell it to you! It's an amazing ride.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:06 AM
peanut23s

yer ill probably still be interested if its only stick marks will be going to london with my m8 soon to go and try out some stuff so if i like it ill most probably buy it from you. if its not a rip off that is ;)
Old 12-13-2008, 02:41 PM
Gold Member

Some of my cymbals past and present, and my prototypes...

Old 12-13-2008, 03:42 PM

AA 14" reg hats: can fit anywhere, a bit heavy, verrrrrry nice sound no matter how close or open, great definition...

AA 20" med ride: versatile enough, sound great with a chain, solid bell, not crashable :( good stick definition...

AA 16" med crash: I hate it, doesn't use it anymore... heavy, clanky, makes a "not so bad ride"... big volume crash...
need to hit hard for it to sound good... again, high volume...

HH 15" sound control crash: sounds great anyhow I hit it, smokey sound when hit lightly, explosive whith harder hit...

HH 21" RBDR: one word: dry ! ok, more words: verrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrry dry, way too dry... doesn't fit everywhere but when you
want to be eard, or when you absolutly need definition... At first, I liked it but doesn't use it anymore... Killer bell, "clanky"

Philippe

Last edited by phil_qc; 12-13-2008 at 05:30 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 03:50 PM
Aggressivec

Sabian lovers, I have a problem...
I bought an AAX 19" Xtreme Chinese in early october. About a week ago, I noticed that my favorite cymbal had a crack in it. I could not believe it. It was at the hammered part where I never hit. Luckily, I am sending it back today and should get another in 6-8 weeks.
Heres where the real stuff starts happening. This very morning, I was talking to my little brother (also a drummer) about how Sabian owns Zildjian in every way. We the were just examining our AA 16" Medium Crash because we love it so much (saying stuff like "look at the shimmer!". Just joking around really...) and then we noticed a crack on the bell! This was literally the worst thing ever, for we only have THAT ONE CRASH. We now have to send it back and get another, and will be crashless for 6-8 weeks.
I know that I didnt crack the cymbal for I would have noticed it right away. I am almost positive that my brother did it. He started drumming a few years ago, quit and then started back up again 6 months ago. My technique is amazing and I have only broken 1 thing in my life (a bass drum head). Ever since my brother started playing, our hi hats have gotten cracked, a bass drum head has been cracked, our chinese has been cracked AND our crash has gotten cracked. Call me crazy, but I may not let my brother play drums anymore... I am the saddest person of all time right now and for the first time in my life I am actually thinking about switching to Paiste or Meinl... WHY ME? If any of you have a crash that you really don't play at all (no matter the brand), I will take offers. I really need a crash... Thank you...

-A very sad Connor. :(
Old 12-13-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggressivec View Post
Sabian lovers, I have a problem...
I bought an AAX 19" Xtreme Chinese in early october. About a week ago, I noticed that my favorite cymbal had a crack in it. I could not believe it. It was at the hammered part where I never hit. Luckily, I am sending it back today and should get another in 6-8 weeks.
Heres where the real stuff starts happening. This very morning, I was talking to my little brother (also a drummer) about how Sabian owns Zildjian in every way. We the were just examining our AA 16" Medium Crash because we love it so much (saying stuff like "look at the shimmer!". Just joking around really...) and then we noticed a crack on the bell! This was literally the worst thing ever, for we only have THAT ONE CRASH. We now have to send it back and get another, and will be crashless for 6-8 weeks.
I know that I didnt crack the cymbal for I would have noticed it right away. I am almost positive that my brother did it. He started drumming a few years ago, quit and then started back up again 6 months ago. My technique is amazing and I have only broken 1 thing in my life (a bass drum head). Ever since my brother started playing, our hi hats have gotten cracked, a bass drum head has been cracked, our chinese has been cracked AND our crash has gotten cracked. Call me crazy, but I may not let my brother play drums anymore... I am the saddest person of all time right now and for the first time in my life I am actually thinking about switching to Paiste or Meinl... WHY ME? If any of you have a crash that you really don't play at all (no matter the brand), I will take offers. I really need a crash... Thank you...

-A very sad Connor. :(
You don't have a Sabian problem, but more of a cymbals problem...
Go with Paiste if you want, they sound great but before that, you
have something to do, or you will break some Paiste also...

Philippe
Old 12-13-2008, 05:41 PM
peanut23s

wherew did you get that raw bell spalsh looks awesome how much was it
Old 12-13-2008, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoSyzygy View Post
Some of my cymbals past and present, and my prototypes...

those prototypes are spectacular! Could you give us some specs!
Old 12-14-2008, 12:56 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjbee View Post
Here are the 2 latest additions to my collection:

1) 20" Vault Artisan Light Ride
2) 22" HH Raw-Bell Dry Crash/Ride Prototype
Hey cjbee do you the story behind that 22" RBDR crash/ride, or which artist it was made for?

I *think* Jose Pasillas from Incubus has been using one or something like it as a crash during their latest tours. Check out this YouTube vid:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=QAHuq6-mCBY

It's right above his rack toms.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:01 AM
cjbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solaris View Post
Hey cjbee do you the story behind that 22" RBDR crash/ride, or which artist it was made for?

I *think* Jose Pasillas from Incubus has been using one or something like it as a crash during their latest tours. Check out this YouTube vid:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=QAHuq6-mCBY

It's right above his rack toms.
Yup, that's the exact one...it was designed to Jose Pasillas' specs and he has been using it for their last few tours (dating back to about 2004).
Old 12-14-2008, 03:58 AM
Aggressivec

Quote:
Yup, that's the exact one...it was designed to Jose Pasillas' specs and he has been using it for their last few tours (dating back to about 2004).
And the best thing is that it's the sickest cymbal ever made. Ever... No exceptions. The only thing MAYBE cooler is like a 30" cup chime that looks like a pig or something. Who knows. Its amazing. CJ, would you recommend buying it instead of the regular RBDR?
Old 12-14-2008, 06:54 AM
Silver Member

Yeah Damo! That's a lot of prototypes, give some specs and sound descriptions!

Here's mine at home, I have other stuff I don't have pictured.. Like a 21" HH RBDR, 21" V-Crash, 18" HH Duo Ride, 18" HHX Evoutlion Crash, 16" AAX Dark Crash, and Zildjian 22" K Dark Medium Ride.

Old 12-14-2008, 08:04 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks. That's one hell of a crash, sounds beautiful though.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:45 PM
cjbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aggressivec View Post
And the best thing is that it's the sickest cymbal ever made. Ever... No exceptions. The only thing MAYBE cooler is like a 30" cup chime that looks like a pig or something. Who knows. Its amazing. CJ, would you recommend buying it instead of the regular RBDR?
If you want crashing abilities with that sweet ping and strong bell the regular RBDR is so well-known for, I would definitely recommend purchasing the Prototype RBDR.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:59 PM
Gold Member

seems to me like sabian really likes to throw around the word "prototype."
it begins to lose its meaning after too many of these "prototypes" are made.
i saw 6 in gc today.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:44 PM
cjbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbmills View Post
seems to me like sabian really likes to throw around the word "prototype."
it begins to lose its meaning after too many of these "prototypes" are made.
i saw 6 in gc today.
What do you mean? They make A LOT of cymbals. They are always experimenting with new models to keep on the cutting edge of cymbal design (which they are, in my opinion). They offer the most varied and expansive line-up of all the 'Big 3' cymbal companies.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Yeah Damo! That's a lot of prototypes, give some specs and sound descriptions!
This response was taken from another thread which I put up after I first came back from the Sabian factory.

The hats are all mounted. Basically, the idea was to have three sets of hats. My main set (13") will be in the standard position. I have aquired myself a little jungle snare from Sonor which is great for hiphop, drumnbass and funk, but I wanted to compliment it with some really bright fast tight hats. The Battle Hats were created for that purpose. They actually weight MORE than the 14" hats - they are extremely heavy, extremely loud and ridiculously bright. They almost have an electronic sound. The inspiration for this came from watching what Jojo Mayer was doing with cymbals during his clinic here a few months back.

The third set of hats (14") were predominantly for double kick and louder passages of play. I prefer the response of a 13" set of hats for just about everything - except when it comes to double kick/loud/metal sections. For that I want big washy sounds. Im not a fan of having many pedals on my setup, and being that these hats are used for predominantly one purpose, Im going to be mounting them on an x-hat, half open, above the ride cymbal. As a side note, the pitch of the three sets of hihats all matches. They were selected to create the 1st, 3rd and 5th notes of a scale. Therefore, any two hihats used together will always sound relative!

The Bell disc (or "Hells Bell" as I have dubbed it) was an idea Ive had for a while - I wanted a dark, angry bell, similar to a ride bell but with more sustain and volume than a ride could offer. This bell was actually cut down, so the bell of the cymbal is disproportionately large, and its hammered more than a rave-bunny on Saturday night. Its a very unique sound, but perfect for my needs.

The Evolution chinese was chosen because the 14" Evo I previously owned had a great sound, but did not resonate long enough. The 16" Evo china should be a stock Sabian line, its an amazingly smooth sound!

The ride was a fluke. Its actually an AA Raw Bell Dry Ride but had been held aside by Sabian because it had some interesting properties that other AA RBDR's didnt have - namely heaps more wash. The bell is high pitched, loud and cutting. It has the volume of a large heavy cymbal, but the wash of a studio ride. It was a very lucky find indeed.

Im not sure what the splashes were made from, but they have a ton of resonance, even for their size and are very glassy. I believe they may have been based on the Max splashes.

The advice I have for people looking into customizing their setup is this: KNOW what you want, and then go find the stuff that does it. If you walk into the Sabian vault or any other vault and have no idea what you need, youll still be looking for your first cymbal 3 days later. There is a problem with TOO much choice, and with the cost of cymbals these days, its important to map out what you want first
Old 12-14-2008, 03:45 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
What do you mean? They make A LOT of cymbals. They are always experimenting with new models to keep on the cutting edge of cymbal design (which they are, in my opinion). They offer the most varied and expansive line-up of all the 'Big 3' cymbal companies.
I think it's great to see so many Sabian prototypes around. Not only does it mean they are constantly experimenting with new sounds but that they also aren't afraid of releasing them for the public. If I ever have ideas for custom cymbals, I'll be going to Sabian first.

I'll have to talk to Billy Hyde about that prototype RBDR, would be great to test one out in person.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:05 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamoSyzygy View Post
This response was taken from another thread which I put up after I first came back from the Sabian factory.

[i]The hats are all mounted. Basically, the idea was to have three sets of hats. My main set (13") will be in the standard position. I have aquired myself a little jungle snare from Sonor which is great for hiphop, drumnbass and funk, but I wanted to compliment it with some really bright fast tight hats. The Battle Hats were created for that purpose. They actually weight MORE than the 14" hats - they are extremely heavy, extremely loud and ridiculously bright. They almost have an electronic sound. The inspiration for this came from watching what Jojo Mayer was doing with cymbals during his clinic here a few months back.
Very cool! Are Battle Hats what YOU called them or did Sabian actually name that? heheh I'm looking for a similar electronic-type sound.. I know the VFX line is still available but there's no sound clips or stock in stores around here.. tough to decide. If you have a sample of the Battles, let me know..I might be interested in getting my own pair!! They look about 10 or 12" - is that correct?

And then, what is that main pair of hats you have based on? They look like they have AAX hammering on them in a Natural fnish.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:44 PM
peanut23s

probably what sabian called them i would guess
Old 12-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Gold Member

Actually, I made a joke about them with Andy Z (Sabian) when they were made and the name kinda stuck :)
Old 12-15-2008, 05:15 PM
cjbee

Here's an updated pic of my Sabians/kit from a gig last night:
Attached Images

Old 12-16-2008, 01:46 AM

I bought the AA Pack with my Sonors, and ended up riveting the 20" Medium Ride and using it as a second, with a FANTASTIC 20" AA Raw Ride as my main.

Old 12-28-2008, 06:18 PM

NEW 14" AAX Xcelerator hi-hats

17" AA Fast crash

NEW 20" Vault V-ride

NEW 17" AA Medium crash (white splotches are fingerprints that look white because of the camera flash)

and soon I will be getting a FREE (!!!) 15" AAX Xtreme chinese, thanks to me buying at least $150 in Sabian cymbals and thanks to Sabian's holiday rebate offer (you can print out the mail-in rebate at sabian.com)
Old 12-30-2008, 02:25 PM

Hey

These are my Cymbals:
Sabian AAX Stage Crash 16"
Sabian AAX Stage Ride 20"
Sabian AAX Stage Hats 14"
Sabian HHX Explosion Crash 18"

Enjoy

Sabian HHX Explosion Crash 18"

Sabian AAX Stage Ride 20"

Sabian AAX Stage Crash 16"

Sabian AAX Stage Hats 14" (bottom)

Sabian AAX Stage Hats 14" (top)

All

Tama Superstar Hyperdrive
Sabian AAX/HHX
Old 12-30-2008, 03:21 PM
Silver Member

...every Sabian Cymbal could be considered a prototype.

Unless good fortune smiles on you, you will have a very hard time finding any two cymbals of the same size and series that sound the same.

That is what makes cymbal hunting so much fun.

Barry
Old 12-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Gold Member

some very nice cymbals guys, here are my lowly B8's - the inverted 8" splash is actually my favorite cymbal, the hats are just unmusical, and the 'crash/ride' sounds kinda like a wrecking ball hitting a brick wall...
but they'll work until schools done and then AA's and HH's hopefully.
good drumming!
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2008, 06:24 AM
Silver Member

Heres mine!20202020202020
Attached Images

Old 12-31-2008, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timebandit View Post
Heres mine!20202020202020
haha lol... i like the mic placement!

Sabian AAX/HHX
Old 12-31-2008, 12:51 PM

Just a question: why do people use Sabians? To my ear they're nothing special...Not saying their bad, I've just heard lots of better cymbals.
Old 12-31-2008, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz2 View Post
Just a question: why do people use Sabians? To my ear they're nothing special...Not saying their bad, I've just heard lots of better cymbals.
People use sabian because they don't make a bad cymbal... the b8's are great right through to the HHX and Hand hammered. I use them because the AAX's worked so well with the type of music i like and play. I also got a HHX because it matched the AAX's soo well. I couldn't find a Zildjan for example which sounded anywhere near as good!, but people have there own preferences in sounds and styles.

calum

Sabian AAX/HHX
Old 12-31-2008, 01:09 PM

Hmmm, that's interesting. I've heard plenty of bad-sounding Sabians. Every cymbal company makes bad cymbals