DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-11-2008, 03:47 PM

Default Bass Head's - Unmic'd

Sound wise, I've come to the conclusion that what I need to go with my PS3 reso (single ply muffled) is a two ply SK11, PS4 or EQ3 (I think I've got that right). I like a deep, thuddy, funky sound. However - having had limited experience of them I have two questions about these heavier 2 ply heads as a batter

Firstly, do they have less of a response/feedback to the pedal i.e. less 'bouncy'.

Secondly, I understand they are less loud than a single ply , but would they still be suitable for small unmiced gigs?

As an alternative what is a single play batter and 2 ply reso like in comparison?

Cheers

Last edited by aboylikedave; 12-11-2008 at 04:32 PM.
Old 12-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Bass Head's - Unmic'd

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboylikedave View Post
Sound wise, I've come to the conclusion that what I need to go with my PS3 reso (single ply muffled) is a two ply SK11, PS4 or EQ3 (I think I've got that right). I like a deep, thuddy, funky sound. However - having had limited experience of them I have two questions about these heavier 2 ply heads as a batter

Firstly, do they have less of a response/feedback to the pedal i.e. less 'bouncy'.

Secondly, I understand they are less loud than a single ply , but would they still be suitable for small unmiced gigs?

As an alternative what is a single play batter and 2 ply reso like in comparison?

Cheers

Yes, I was use to a SK 1 and when I ordered one for my new set, they sent a SK 2 by mistake. I kept it and used it. at first I didn't like it at all. It wasn't as loud and the SK 1 and the rebound ( I don't bury the beater) Was somewhat sluggish. I got past all of that in just a few days of playing but if you use an SK 2 for a live situation, tighten the head up. Even in a small environment, it may not carry as well as a single ply head would.

It could work but like I said, tighten it up. It may sound pleasing tuned medium loose but as I said, it may not carry well with live bass and guitar... ect . It also depends on the type of music your band plays. If it's a high volume thing.. I'd say stick with the SK 1.

I never tried but if I had to guess, I'd say it would result in a dead sound, reduced volume
Old 12-12-2008, 06:05 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Bass Head's - Unmic'd

^ Yup. As long as the gig isn't that loud or the room that big, you can get away with it.

For a loud band in a big room, though, you'll do better with single ply and the least muffling possible. Tune for boom, not thud.