DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-11-2008, 01:57 AM

Default 2-ply snare head

Sorry if there's a post already on this, I just searched for ages and couldn't find anything...

I just got back from a jam session at the college with a bunch of great jazz students. Amongst the rest of the half-decent kit I was playing, was a snare with an excellent sound and feel. It was an old PDP snare (not sure what model) and it was a 13"x5". The reso head and wires were stock, and the batter head was an Evans G2(!) that looks like it has been used for at least 5 years solid. Basically, there was just NO coating on it at all - there was a super clean patch in the centre of the head that took about 11 inches of the drum's width, with just a few inches of coating around the edge. But it felt really, really good. It had great bounce, and an insane amount of ring (which I love), but it seemed so focused. It was weird, quite a sharp sound. It reminded me lots of Tony Williams snare sound, like the earlier stuff on Seven Steps, etc.

I'm just debating what factors in this drum's life have made it sound like it does...The 2-ply head? The worn-off coating? The small shell? I would also like to know that if I invest in a 13" snare, should I put an Emperor on it? I wonder if it will get me this sound? I just want that sound and feel...
Old 12-11-2008, 03:02 AM
Aggressivec

Default Re: 2-ply snare head

Now, call me crazy, but please read what I have to say.
Being a freshman in high school, I am in my schools concert band as a percussionist. We have a piece of shit Mapex V series kit that has been torn to shreds. The snare sounds awful. We also own 2 other snares, a Pearl Masters Symphonic (eh, it sounds like crap, but its expensive) and a Ludwig Standard (cheap). Now, heres the thing. On the Pearl, there is a beat up Remo Ambassador on it and it sounds horrible. On the Ludwig, there is an Attack 2-ply medium head, and the snare sounds near perfect. It sounds so amazing, that at one point, I actually thought of buying that head. I would actually recommend buying it, because of how cheap it is. Try it!
Old 12-11-2008, 04:30 AM
Mystic

I would highly recommend the controlled sound with reverse dot, it is single ply with the 5 mil dot in the middle and it is so perfect for many applications, give it a shot. I don't recommend 2 ply heads for snares at all after using the emperor x on a school snare hahaha
Old 12-11-2008, 05:41 AM

As i had stated in a previous post on snare heads, I found that the Evans ST Dry Coated snare head is probably the best snare head i have ever heard in my life. It has a nice tight crack and almost no overtone.

Now you've got to ask yourself a question, do you want a snare that sounds like a tight crack or do you want a snare that has some resonance and feel more like a field drum sound?
Old 12-11-2008, 01:04 PM

The music I'm playing is purely jazz. I have a CS Reverse Dot on my other snare and for jazz it just doesn't work, it's not responsive enough in it's feel in the centre. I want the opposite of a dry head, lots of ring, but very focused. I THINK 2-ply heads give you that...
Old 12-11-2008, 02:38 PM
Mystic

If you don't want focus I definitely would not recommend a 2 ply, talky to harryconaway, he knows wonders about heads.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

This is all subjective.

What you like is what you like. If there was one right sound there would be one head on the market.

The Evens G2 Coated are great heads. I love them on toms, I prefer the single ply coated Remo Ambassadors on my snares. But that is only my opinion, that just means the I like them, that is what sounds good to me for the styles of music I am playing.

There are no rules here, experiment and see what works for you and the style of music you are playing at the time.
Misc. Snares
My Web Site