DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-08-2008, 03:53 AM

Default Evans G1

Ok i changed my mind about all those other snare heads that i talked about in my previous thread and i decided i want something very warm and i played an evans g1 coated on a snare, which im not sure what kind it was, but the kit i was playing was a gretsch renown maple at guitar center and it was very warm and had nice ring and sounded amzing and thats what i want my snare to sound like. So right now i have a remo dw stock head on my pdp mx maple thats basically a remo ambassador but its kind of too bright for me. So i went on evans website and the g1 is alot warmer than the g2 which i was considering too so i guess g1 is for me. If theres too much ring i will just slap a moongel on but what do you guys think about the g1 for snare? Also im open to other suggestions, but i want the head warm.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:49 PM

Default Re: Evans G1

Well I think the way to go, if you are going to buy evans heads, would be to buy the EC reversed Dot snair head. Its just as warm as the G2 but the sound is more focused so you wont get as much of those overtones and wont have to use a moon gel. This way once the coating wears away you can still throw a moon gel on and elliminate any overtones.
Old 12-09-2008, 07:14 PM
"Uncle Larry"

An Evans coated G1 is equivalent to a Remo coated Ambassador, a 10 mil single ply coated head. Fine choice for a snare batter. It's your industry standard snare sound.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:19 PM

thanks how is that evans power center reverse dot snare head?
Old 12-10-2008, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drums32 View Post
thanks how is that evans power center reverse dot snare head?

Well the only drum head John Bonhams drum tech would put on his kit for live shows was the Remo Controled Sound reverse dot head. The evans power center is essentialy the same thing but I prefer the coating evans puts on there heads for snair drums because it seems to last longer
Old 08-06-2011, 07:41 PM
Silver Member

Hey everyone been a while since I posted and I am aware this is an old thread, but what I wanted to convey to you is that just recently I installed a G1 coated snare batter on my Yamaha beech custom 14x6.5 snare and have decided that this is the perfect snare head for this drum having tried many heads prior to this. Anyone out their still lurking for a snare head I would highly recommend the G1 coated for snare.
If you find the Remo Coated Ambassador a little too:
1. Ringy
2. Wet
3. Thin
which I did, then the G1 coated will do it for you. Its a bit dryer than its counterpart and a bit more focused. After about an hour or two of playing it begins to real shine. good luck and good drumming.

Frank