DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 12-01-2008, 05:18 AM

Default gaffers tape?

So I heard people use it for getting the washy out of your cymbals and it doesn't leave residue, but! Does it leave residue on drum heads? I also heard it was expensive so if someone could answer this before I buy it would be great!
Old 12-01-2008, 02:20 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: gaffers tape?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpankYDubbS View Post
So I heard people use it for getting the washy out of your cymbals and it doesn't leave residue, but! Does it leave residue on drum heads? I also heard it was expensive so if someone could answer this before I buy it would be great!
Yes, it can tame the wash on a washy ride. Try a 4" strip on the underside of the cymbal (bend over 1/4" at one end so you can pull it up easily) and experiment with location.

It leaves no residue.

If you want to use it on heads, you need to get different heads or get better at tuning. Or use moongel or studio rings.

Expensive, and worth every penny.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:48 PM

If you want to muffle you drum heads, buy some REMO ebony pinstripes :) they are mad heads, give a nice dampened solid sound. If you dont have much money, do what i did and put duct tape on your drum heads, i make an x with it right in the middle of the drum head, helps with my aim, and kills all overtones. if you still get overtones when you put 1 X(cross) on, put another X of it over the top of the other. BUT keep in mind, duct tape does leave quite a bit of residue, but is very cheap and quite effective for permanent dampening.

Hope you find something that works for ya :)
Old 12-01-2008, 05:06 PM
Pioneer Member

Gaffers tape is very costly. for drumheads moongel, those goofy sticky hands you can buy at a toy store you can cut down and cost allot less, Zero rings or better yet the right head and tuning combo will eliminate overtones you may not want.
Old 12-01-2008, 06:41 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

First, note that there is a difference between gaff tape and duct tape:

Gaffer's tape usually has a fabric backing, is a little thinner than duct tape, and has moderate adhesive.

Duct tape usually has a rubber-feel to its backing, is thick and floppy, and is very sticky.

Both will leave a residue, but gaff tape stays clean for short term use. In other words, remove it when you're done. Duct tape is gummy right from the start and may leave sticky stuff on cymbals and heads with one use (such as an outdoor gig in the summer!)

I use gaff tape all the time on tom & snare batters & resos, but almost never on cymbals. Damping reduces or removes a cymbal's harmonics (or sizzle) and you lose brightness. With just a moderate amount of tape, the cymbal is completely dry and clangy, which may or may not be the right sound for the music at hand.

As a rule, in the context of music, cymbal ring and wash contributes to the overall sound rather than detracts from it. Much like snare buzz... it's just part of the sound of a set of acoustic drums.

My suggestion is, don't tape the cymbal.

Bermuda
Old 12-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Pioneer Member

gaff tape would certainly work better than duct tape or electrical tape. I noticed on a Buddy Rich video that he had tape under one of his rides at the time that ran in from the bell outward. Too dry of a ride is not advisable though, as it sounds terrible from the audience, but could be useful trying to get a loud ride to work in a small club for example.