DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 11-30-2008, 02:12 AM
jay norem

Default How do you position your snare drum?

And why? I've just started thinking about this. I've noticed that some drummers position their snare with the strainer on the left, the hi-hat side so to speak. Myself, I've always positioned it with the strainer between my legs, facing me.
Is their any difference? I don't see how there could be, but anyway I started wondering about this.

Last edited by jay norem; 11-30-2008 at 02:23 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:14 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: How do you position your snare drum?

I do what your example drummers do. I have just always put it there.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:18 AM
jay norem

Sinsyk, your signature is great. Did you say that, or someone else? Either way, it's spot on.
So you position yours with the strainer on the left. Thanks.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:18 AM

just put in where it feels most comfortable, im still trying work on where to put it myself and ive had the same kit for about 1 year now.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:23 AM
jay norem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonty1992 View Post
just put in where it feels most comfortable, im still trying work on where to put it myself and ive had the same kit for about 1 year now.
Oh yeah, I'm just talking about where your strainer ends up.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:24 AM
Banned

I position my strainer in the 9 o'clock position. Always have. I think that is how I began and never changed. At a recent rehearsal I set up three snare drums, 2 to hi hat left and one in front. I positioned the strainers on the left so they faced into me. This allowed me to get the drums close together.

I angle the drum slightly toward me with the center of the head slightly above belt buckle height.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:29 AM
Gold Member

I used to position the strainer right in front of me, until it started scraping me on the legs. Now it's in between the left and in front.

It's positioned at 7:30 I would say...? XD
Old 11-30-2008, 02:56 AM

I position the strainer at 9 o'clock. That facilitates switching the snares on and off when my right hand is busy. It's just the most comfortable position for me to reach. My snare drum is positioned flat, too.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:10 AM
Platinum Member

I put mine at 9 o' clock. I'm right-handed. The snaer is relatively flat, too. I also place it a little further to the right (almost overlapping the bass drum pedal) than most. I've found that it's more comfortable to postion my body more centered behind the bass drum than straddling the snare off to the left side.

When I play classical gigs, the throw-off is at 6 o' clock. The reason for this, as I was trained, was that you want the snare wires directly underneath your sticks at all times. You get a good tone out of an orchestral snare when you play about one-third of the way between the dead center and edge of a drum. So, you just move your sticks up and down to find a good tone, and you're still over the wires.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 11-30-2008, 03:22 AM

Mine's at 9 too, weird that it seems to be like that for most people.

As for the angle, slighly tilted towards 2 o'clock, because I play traditional.
from your
tv set

Old 11-30-2008, 03:28 AM

Almost flat, strainer at 10 o'clock. Also easiest to reach.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:29 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay norem View Post
Sinsyk, your signature is great. Did you say that, or someone else? Either way, it's spot on.
So you position yours with the strainer on the left. Thanks.
Its at the end of the Jojo Mayer dvd. So no not mine, even though I would like to say it is.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:05 AM
Silver Member

Titled away towards the right, with strainer at 9 o clock.

That strainer can be a burden when you're sitting in on another kit and the strainer is at 3.... Made me look like an idiot in a no piano backing Take Five solo. Gotta remember to check where it is at all times!
Old 11-30-2008, 04:19 AM

I always set up my drums so the badge faces aways from me (except the bass drum, that's the only drum where I can see the badge)... so on my Gretsch snare, the strainer lever is on the left. on my old Ludwig snare, the strainer lever was on the right.

strainer lever position isn't really an issue for me, as I rarely, if ever, play with the snares off.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:29 AM
jay norem

Interesting. I seem to be the only one who positions his snare drum with the strainer between my legs, or at the 6:00 position. And I've always done that, and there's no reason, I've just always done it that way.
So far no one except Caddy has said that they do it for sound considerations. His explanation for putting the strainer at the 6:00 position for orchestral drumming was very interesting, and it makes sense.
The 9:00 location, though, seems to be the winner here so far.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Interesting. I seem to be the only one who positions his snare drum with the strainer between my legs, or at the 6:00 position. And I've always done that, and there's no reason, I've just always done it that way.
So far no one except Caddy has said that they do it for sound considerations. His explanation for putting the strainer at the 6:00 position for orchestral drumming was very interesting, and it makes sense.
The 9:00 location, though, seems to be the winner here so far.
I'm with you on the 6:00 position. I do it for the reasons caddywumpus mentioned and have been taught to position it that way. It makes sense to me.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:42 AM
jay norem

Quote:
Originally Posted by youenjoy00myself View Post
I'm with you on the 6:00 position. I do it for the reasons caddywumpus mentioned and have been taught to position it that way. It makes sense to me.
It does make sense. You're alway playing over the wires. I never thought about it before.
Old 11-30-2008, 07:59 AM
Silver Member

For me, I always find it easier to activate/deactivate the snares with a quick motion towards me. This was because the position of my fingers while gripping the stick yeilded lots of economy of motion. Therefore, my PDP LX snare throwoff was at 6:00 because it had a throwoff like shown in the first pic. But my Black Panther throwoff I keep at 9:00 because, as in the pic on the right, it allows the same motion. Clear as mud? I hope the photos help...also, I keep the snare pretty flat, too. I find that allows for easier rim shots.
Attached Images

Press here for my drums
"No one has bought his last drum."
Old 11-30-2008, 08:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It does make sense. You're alway playing over the wires. I never thought about it before.
Well, I don't actually play over the wires all of the time when playing kit. I tend to move my hand side to side for different "colors" constantly (over the wires, because on my kit, I always put the wires 9:00 to 3:00) and I often play over the areas without the wires because you can get different sounds. It's not as immediately sensitive and gives a fatter sound, I have found. So, really, I play all over the drum for different nuances. In an acoustic setting, it sometimes gets noticed, but not at all when miked up and through a PA.

Other drummers I've played with tell me that I put too much thought into it, but I don't think so. When I'm creating art, I want all of the subtleties in it that I can muster...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 11-30-2008, 08:50 AM
jay norem

I've only got three basic snare sounds, I guess, those being soft, medium and loud. And I never turn my snares off since there's no reason to do so in the music I play. I just try to keep my head down and keep time. It's a good night for me if no one notices how badly I'm playing. I live a very simple life.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:10 PM
Pioneer Member

I position my snare almost flat, but slightly towards me, and I have the throwoff at about 9:00, only because it seems easiest to turn the snares off and on with my left hands if I'm laying the stick across the drum for cross sticking purposes.

Christian Drummers Army
Playing Weapons of Mass Percussion
Old 11-30-2008, 08:33 PM

my strainer is at 3 o'clock, easy to turn on and off, and it facilitates access to different sounds;
play a buzz roll, at the very front edge of your snare drum, just before the hoop, with the snares horizontal (running towards your legs)

it sounds quite plastic-y doesn't it?

now do the same, but the sticks on the extreme left and right of your snare head, directly over the snares.

voila, a very different sound.

now, if the strainer was at 6 or 12, what I just said would be reversed (left and right for plastic-y sound, far edge for snare sound)

to me, playing doubles or a buzz roll feels more natural with the sticks on either side of the head, and i prefer the snare sound, and this is why my snare is positioned this way.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:36 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsword View Post
I position my snare almost flat, but slightly towards me, and I have the throwoff at about 9:00, only because it seems easiest to turn the snares off and on with my left hands if I'm laying the stick across the drum for cross sticking purposes.
I would say this is my position exactly. Two wise bald guys.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilkay View Post
I position the strainer at 9 o'clock. That facilitates switching the snares on and off when my right hand is busy. It's just the most comfortable position for me to reach. My snare drum is positioned flat, too.
^^^ ^^^^ ^^^^^^ ^^^^^^
ditto here
Old 12-01-2008, 01:39 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I would say this is my position exactly. Two wise bald guys.

LOL, Amen Brother. We bald guys gotta stick together. You, me and Deathmetalconga should form a society of bald drummers, "S.O.B.d" Or "SBD"

Christian Drummers Army
Old 12-01-2008, 01:46 PM
Big_Philly

I used to not care where it was, but since I started using the strainer during songs I always placed it on the left so I can pull it off or put it back on with my left hand.

Facing me makes more sense though, that way I can do it with any hand that isn't too busy with anything else.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Platinum Member

After all these years of playing, I'm still not quite sure of this. My snare is almost flat ( slight angle... a nod to my occasional trad grip )..... but what I'm always fiddling with ( been over 15 years now ) is the height of the snare.

Question for all you tech champs= If a part of your hands are hitting your thighs on down strokes, is that a bad thing?
Old 12-01-2008, 03:16 PM
Pioneer Member

Dave weckl said it was a bad thing in the last clinic I attended, but what does he know?..lol

I keep mine same height as my FT, just high enough so I don't hit my thigh. You could try raising your elbows up, about ear level. then you'd be ok I think, ;-) LOL

Christian Drummers Army
Old 12-01-2008, 03:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsword View Post
Dave weckl said it was a bad thing in the last clinic I attended, but what does he know?..lol

I keep mine same height as my FT, just high enough so I don't hit my thigh. You could try raising your elbows up, about ear level. then you'd be ok I think, ;-) LOL
Ya, but see, the thing is that if you keep your hands high enough or even the snare up on the higher side, then you have to crank your shoulders/ elbows/ hands up to compensate so that you can hit clean down on a snare. And that 'aint the most comfortable shoulders relaxed, elbow-to-the-sides, low hands posture that is recommended.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:59 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by aydee View Post
Ya, but see, the thing is that if you keep your hands high enough or even the snare up on the higher side, then you have to crank your shoulders/ elbows/ hands up to compensate so that you can hit clean down on a snare. And that 'aint the most comfortable shoulders relaxed, elbow-to-the-sides, low hands posture that is recommended.
I know, I was being a smart alec. You just have to adjust snare height vs throne height, and then bring your arm positioning into play.

Christian Drummers Army
Old 12-01-2008, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

I am with the masses having it on the left at 9:00. I started this when I first started to play drums. I figured in this location I could always use my leg to return it to the on position while still using my hands to play. The truth is I have not needed to do so but it looked good on paper to a 16 years old kid ;-)
Misc. Snares
My Web Site
Old 12-01-2008, 08:17 PM

3oclock is where its at. badge faces towards me. =D
Old 12-04-2008, 01:47 AM

I'm with you, Jay... 6:00 sharp!

Old 12-04-2008, 08:26 AM

Hey jay, I used to be at 4 o'clock but now I'm a 6 o'clock man. We could call our selves the 6 o'clock rockers. LOL.
Old 12-04-2008, 09:41 AM

For over 50 years I've always positioned my snare strainer mechanism at the 9 o'clock position, with the drum tilted slightly downward, 90 to the right, due to my predominant Traditional Grip, as well as being right-handed. Any other position would be awkward, at best!

This makes perfect sense to me, but whatever works for you is also "perfect".
Old 12-04-2008, 10:20 AM
Gold Member

Snare strainer to my left at 9 o`clock, snare drum tilted very little towards me. The height seems to vary the past weeks, since I've noticed that a higher snaredrum makes me sit better on my throne and prevents my back from hurting.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:33 AM

Strainer at 9 o'clock.
I do this so I can tinker with tunings with my right hand, while seeing what it sounds like with no snares with my left hand.

It also allows my badge to just barely peek through the front...:)
Old 12-05-2008, 02:53 PM

I've been doing 3 o'clock for years...I might tinker around with different clock settings :) I am a lefty though, so maybe a different setting might be easier to access...
Old 12-05-2008, 03:39 PM
Silver Member

I'm a 9:00 man myself.

I have one snare where the throwoff comes straight out from the drum. (when it folds down in 9:00 position it lies flat on the top of my leg, I can flip it back on with my leg if I so chose) does that make sense?

Of course, i never actually turn my snares on using my leg, that would require way too much effort. Instead I use my left hand, which happens to be on the 9:00 side of my snare! (and doesn't seem to play anything at all most of the time)
Old 12-06-2008, 07:38 AM

Quote:
You'd only be "playing over the wires" with your snare strainer in the 6 o'clock position if you maintain a strict, odd vertical pattern of approaching your snare drum. Any competent drummer will utilize all portions of his snare drum's batter head for varying sounds and subtleties.