DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-28-2008, 10:05 PM

Default Smaller than 8D ??

Hey guys,
I play with the Vic Firth 8D American classic sticks and i like them but i want to try somthing different because there is somthing about them that i don't like so thats why im trying to find somthing different but they have got to be prefably the same size or smaller i havn't found any that are smaller than 8D but there's a question for you drum wise guys! lol

Thanks

Tris
Old 11-28-2008, 10:16 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Smaller than 8D ??

Not really familiar with 8d's. Are they smaller than 7a's? those are the smallest i've ever had, haven't used them since i was like eleven years old. Now i use Ralph Hardimon's nylon tipped and Regal Tip quantum 9000's. lmao talk about one extreme to the other.
Old 11-28-2008, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkyBait911 View Post
Hey guys,
I play with the Vic Firth 8D American classic sticks and i like them but i want to try somthing different because there is somthing about them that i don't like so thats why im trying to find somthing different but they have got to be prefably the same size or smaller i havn't found any that are smaller than 8D but there's a question for you drum wise guys! lol

Thanks

Tris
i used 8Ds and switched to Steve Gadd's, which are a little shorter. the only things about the Gadd's is that i found after a few rim shots, the center starting shredding apart already. if you want a little heavier tip, the Gadd's also has that.

7As are another option, but they may be a little too light if you simply want shorter.

someone recommended Jojo Mayers since i was looking for a meatier 7A. haven't tried them yet though..

good luck!
Old 11-28-2008, 11:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diosdude View Post
Not really familiar with 8d's. Are they smaller than 7a's? those are the smallest i've ever had, haven't used them since i was like eleven years old. Now i use Ralph Hardimon's nylon tipped and Regal Tip quantum 9000's. lmao talk about one extreme to the other.
8D sticks are the same diameter as 7A's (.540 inches), but they're half an inch longer (16 inches as opposed to 15 & 1/2).

In reference to the original question: my new favorite stick is the Steve Jordan signature model from Vic Firth. It's super versatile, and I highly recommend it to everyone. It's thinner than a 7A or 8D (.525 inches), but it's 16 & 1/2 inches long, so it has plenty of leverage. If you don't want so much "throw", you can choke up on it a little (that is, hold the stick closer to its midpoint), and if you want more power on the snare drum, you can flip it over and play with the butt end without being overwhelming in terms of volume.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:52 PM

Why don't you just play with toothpicks?
Old 11-29-2008, 07:40 PM

Great thanks for the replyies and another question what does the letter after the number stand for like 5A i no the number stands for the thickness ( I Think )

Thanks
Old 11-29-2008, 07:56 PM

Take a look at the Vic Firth American Jazz AJ5...
I normaly play with 8D myself, but after trying the
AJ5 (less heavy, small diametre but still 16"), I'm sold...

Philippe

http://www.vicfirth.com/products/americanjazz.html
Old 12-03-2008, 04:15 AM
Pioneer Member

the Tony Royster Jr. models are thinner as are the Peter Erskine sticks.
Erskine's : .525 16"
Royster jr: 16 1/8" .547

The Steve Gadd sticks are too, I felt these were too light personally though compared to the 8Ds. Another option is Promarks Elvin Jones model. This is their 7A but 16" long. It's only .512 in diameter! Regal Tip has SEVERAL models in their inventory that are even thinner including some under .500 in diameter.