DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-27-2008, 05:57 PM
Guz2's Avatar
Guz2 Guz2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Britain
Posts: 466
Default Which Zen?

I'm gonna upgrade from my Sony MP3 to a creative Zen...But is it worth spending a bit more on the Creative Zen XF-I? What extra features does it have? Cheers
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-27-2008, 06:08 PM
drums32's Avatar
drums32 drums32 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 340
Default Re: Which Zen?

forget these crappy mp3s and get an ipod
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-27-2008, 06:14 PM
crdirtRider856's Avatar
crdirtRider856 crdirtRider856 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: southern new jersey
Posts: 564
Default Re: Which Zen?

I m not sure about the new Zen, but I ve had the Zen Sleek, Zen Vision, and the cheaper 4gb one and I m never getting another Creative again....They dont have Playforsure, so I-tunes was a pain in the ass, they re harder to get accessories for. I couldnt get a car dock in the U.S. so I had to order it from overseas. It took about 3 months to get. I recently cracked the screen on the Vision and where I ve had Apple repair an Ipod, Creative would have nothing to do with it. The thing was less than a year old, cost over $350 and its now worthless. I can run it through my computer but even that gives me problems.

Get an Ipod!!! You ll be happy with it.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-27-2008, 06:27 PM
frank0072's Avatar
frank0072 frank0072 is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: The Netherlands
Posts: 1,169
Default Re: Which Zen?

I have had a Zen Nano Plus, and that one was great and reliable untill my wife dropped it.

Now I have a Zen Stone Plus and it's not nearly as good as the Nano, it sometimes just blocks and has to be reset and stuff. Irritating.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-27-2008, 08:01 PM
Guz2's Avatar
Guz2 Guz2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Britain
Posts: 466
Default Re: Which Zen?

Ok, thanks for the help. Would anyone recomend the new iPos Nano?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-27-2008, 08:38 PM
drums32's Avatar
drums32 drums32 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 340
Default Re: Which Zen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz2 View Post
Ok, thanks for the help. Would anyone recomend the new iPos Nano?
Yea get the new 8gb nano for $150
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-27-2008, 08:43 PM
Guz2's Avatar
Guz2 Guz2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Britain
Posts: 466
Default Re: Which Zen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drums32 View Post
Yea get the new 8gb nano for $150
I was thinking of the 16gb...But is it worth the extra 39 quid?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-27-2008, 08:49 PM
drums32's Avatar
drums32 drums32 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 340
Default Re: Which Zen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guz2 View Post
I was thinking of the 16gb...But is it worth the extra 39 quid?
It depends how many songs, videos, and pictures you are gonna have on it. Go to apples website and research it
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-27-2008, 09:02 PM
Gyrefalcon Gyrefalcon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 113
Default Re: Which Zen?

Right now Cowon has the best players.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-27-2008, 09:13 PM
tamadrummer132's Avatar
tamadrummer132 tamadrummer132 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 934
Default Re: Which Zen?

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/hom...od?mco=MTE3NzQ

end of story.
__________________
CHRISTIAN DRUMMERS ARMY
muauahauha.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-28-2008, 01:23 AM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Which Zen?

I have a zen x-fi and a couple ipods.

Let me state without reservation, the sound of the zen x-fi *destroys* ipods and the rest. It's not even close.

The x-fi crystal eq really enhances the treble, in most cases. Some instances it will over do it , but 90% of the time it's amazing.

The X-fi also enhances left/right channel separation in a way that no other mp3 player does.

I have listened on a variety of headphones ranging up to $1,100 a pair (ultimate ears) and the x-fi is a hands-down winner, the REAL end of story.

www.anythingbutipod.com
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-28-2008, 02:26 AM
Gyrefalcon Gyrefalcon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 113
Default Re: Which Zen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
I have a zen x-fi and a couple ipods.

Let me state without reservation, the sound of the zen x-fi *destroys* ipods and the rest. It's not even close.

The x-fi crystal eq really enhances the treble, in most cases. Some instances it will over do it , but 90% of the time it's amazing.

The X-fi also enhances left/right channel separation in a way that no other mp3 player does.

I have listened on a variety of headphones ranging up to $1,100 a pair (ultimate ears) and the x-fi is a hands-down winner, the REAL end of story.

www.anythingbutipod.com

Personally I got a Trekstor Vibez because it is one of the most accurate at reproducing music (both straight and what you would hear if listening to it from near or far field speakers), I have never been a big fan of sound enhancements (although at least they are moving away from just pumping the bass up and calling it an enhancement).
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-28-2008, 02:36 AM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Which Zen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyrefalcon View Post
Personally I got a Trekstor Vibez because it is one of the most accurate at reproducing music (both straight and what you would hear if listening to it from near or far field speakers),.
I have to look that one up, never seen one. I am not a huge fan of mp3's, but what I have is 320K and some uncompressed.

The zen x-fi doesn't push up the 'loudness" contour to create thump and call it enhancement, that I like.

Portables will truly gain my favor when storage is enough to accomadate fully uncompressed audio.

Meanwhile, the x-fi is but one of many far superior alternative to the sound of an ipod.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-28-2008, 02:52 AM
Gyrefalcon Gyrefalcon is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 113
Default Re: Which Zen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
I have to look that one up, never seen one. I am not a huge fan of mp3's, but what I have is 320K and some uncompressed.

The zen x-fi doesn't push up the 'loudness" contour to create thump and call it enhancement, that I like.

Portables will truly gain my favor when storage is enough to accomadate fully uncompressed audio.

Meanwhile, the x-fi is but one of many far superior alternative to the sound of an ipod.
More players are supporting FLAC instead of just MP3/WMA (and Vorbis to a lesser extent) which is a move in the right direction. Unfortunately it looks like the only players with the space for FLAC to be practical are players that don't support it (like the ipod classic).

By far my favorite format is Vorbis though, it is transparent at a lower bitrate than competing formats (http://www.listening-tests.info/mf-128-1/results.htm).
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-28-2008, 06:25 AM
hauk's Avatar
hauk hauk is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 814
Default Re: Which Zen?

I like Apple hardware (excepting an iPod which broke a couple months after the warranty expired), but my next mp3 player will certainly not have a fruit logo on the back of it. The reason? ITunes. I hate that little bit of software. It makes some things so hard that should be so easy. I know a lot of people that don't mind it, but a word of warning - it's not for me.
__________________
"We should print up T-shirts! And F-shirts for our friends with two arms on the same side!"
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-28-2008, 06:30 AM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Which Zen?

TrekStor vibez Portable 16GB MP3 Player (Black)
$199



Full color TFT 1.5 inch display, with 176 X 132 pixels / 16 GB Capacity holds up to 4000 Songs
Supports MP3 WMA WAV OGG and FLAC / DRM (Digital Rights Management) WMA-DRM9, WMA-DRM10 (Janus) M3U-Playlist WPL-Playlist Replaceable lithium ion high-performance battery features 20 hours of uninterrupted music playback.

At 200 MHz, the computing strength of vibez is so powerful that you can cross-fade two songs or automatically sort images according to their recording data (EXIF). The Hi-Speed USB 2.0 connection ensures that your images and songs will be transferred to vibez reliably and fast.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-28-2008, 10:22 AM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: Which Zen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
TrekStor vibez Portable 16GB MP3 Player (Black)
$199



Full color TFT 1.5 inch display, with 176 X 132 pixels / 16 GB Capacity holds up to 4000 Songs
Supports MP3 WMA WAV OGG and FLAC / DRM (Digital Rights Management) WMA-DRM9, WMA-DRM10 (Janus) M3U-Playlist WPL-Playlist Replaceable lithium ion high-performance battery features 20 hours of uninterrupted music playback.

At 200 MHz, the computing strength of vibez is so powerful that you can cross-fade two songs or automatically sort images according to their recording data (EXIF). The Hi-Speed USB 2.0 connection ensures that your images and songs will be transferred to vibez reliably and fast.
I JUST REALISED THIS IS THE SAME COMPANY THAT I BOUGHT AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE FROM THAT STOPPED WORKING THE 3RD TIME I USED IT! Seems like an alright player but i am soo boycotting this brand after that waste of 35.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-28-2008, 10:38 AM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Which Zen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
I JUST REALISED THIS IS THE SAME COMPANY THAT I BOUGHT AN EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE FROM THAT STOPPED WORKING THE 3RD TIME I USED IT! Seems like an alright player but i am soo boycotting this brand after that waste of 35.
That sucks! :(

I worry about the no-name stuff, especially stuff that is on sale at computer shows. Names like Coby and sanimachibishiha or whatever...there are a hundred of them. I have had no issues with the Zen, and no regrets.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-28-2008, 11:59 AM
crdirtRider856's Avatar
crdirtRider856 crdirtRider856 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: southern new jersey
Posts: 564
Default Re: Which Zen?

So when I get my new mp3 player, what brand is best? This might be worthy of a poll. I looked at a Memorex 8gb for $100 the other day.Anybody know about this brand? They re a pretty well known name but not exactly *high-end* as so it seems.

Apple seemed a little more compatible, easier to find acces. for, and better customer service. The Creatives sounded better but they ve left a sour "crab-apple" taste in my mouth as far as tech. ease and cust.service...

I ve looked at the Zune, but they re pretty costly, so what makes them need a higher price when compared to the others?

I just want something that sounds good, is easy to work with, and wont cost me an arm n a leg then screw me over when a problem arises(like the Zens have)...and I m gonna have to stay away from that Sanamachbihishiha brand. (thx Trick)lol
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-28-2008, 12:03 PM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Which Zen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdirtRider856 View Post
I just want something that sounds good, is easy to work with, and wont cost me an arm n a leg then screw me over when a problem arises(like the Zens have)...
What problems do the zens have ? Older zens?

On this deployment, we have 6 people with zens...zero issues.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-28-2008, 12:23 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: Which Zen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
What problems do the zens have ? Older zens?

i had 2 zens and they both stopped working. To be fair i think my mum broke one of them when she turned off the computer in the middle of a data transfer when i was getting files off it to put on this new computer. But the warranty had run out by then so that was it no more free new players. I was also trying to get files of the old computer onto here when i discovered that external hard drive wasn't working. I got that in 2006 so maybe the new models are better, i remember the old ipods used to be bitches for cracked screens but i think apple sorted that.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-28-2008, 12:35 PM
crdirtRider856's Avatar
crdirtRider856 crdirtRider856 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: southern new jersey
Posts: 564
Default Re: Which Zen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
What problems do the zens have ? Older zens?
Well after a few years of my Ipod, I switched to a Zen Sleek, '06 I think. It worked good but when I bought it the guy at B.B. said it would work with I-Tunes...which it didnt and everything me and my wife had on I tunes had to be transfered to a different format. I m a computer idiot so we had to have a friend do it. No big deal, but after about 8-9 months, it started freezing up constantly. I d reset it but it would only play for about 20 minutes before freezing again. My wife lost her charger adaptor and trying to find a replacement took so long, she gave up and now it sits in a drawer...

I then got a Zen Vision 30gb player '08. It sounded great but the accessories were not available in the US. I wanted the adaptor for my TV and a car dock, for when I drove a truck...I never found the TV cable and the car dock took about 3 months to receive. And was WAY overpriced when compared to Ipod acces. All this time I had no computer so I couldnt charge it with a wall plug, my wife took my computer and that was the only way to charge it. Then all of the sudden the battery started crappin out. It would last for about 5-6 hours. If I went on a 20 hour drive, I was screwed!

Then, a few months ago, I dropped it from about 2 feet onto one of my Ahead sticks(lucky, huh?) and the lcd display cracked. I took out a 4 year warrantee on it and Best Buy said send it to Creative. So after about 2 months, they sent it back saying they would not fix it and there was nothing I could do. So I played it through my computer a few times and it connects only about 25% of the time. Nothing but problems and aggravation from Creative... Yeah they sound good, but Apple was just so much easier to deal with.. huh, my fingers are tired now. : P
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-29-2008, 05:19 AM
remoking's Avatar
remoking remoking is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 256
Default Re: Which Zen?

I have the Zen Vison: M. I wish had just gotten an ipod video instead though. The Vision: M is alright, but its acting kind of crappy after about 3 years now.
__________________
Life's waiting to begin...
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-29-2008, 07:37 AM
hauk's Avatar
hauk hauk is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 814
Default Re: Which Zen?

How about Archos? They have some nice looking players (that got good reviews in Wired magazine, where I heard about them), but their latest generation isn't all released yet. There's the 5s and 7s, or more basic 405s, 605s, etc. Something to check out - they seem legit, but I bet the price is a bit high due to the limited distribution (compared to Apple).
__________________
"We should print up T-shirts! And F-shirts for our friends with two arms on the same side!"
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-29-2008, 07:43 AM
trkdrmr
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Which Zen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauk View Post
How about Archos? They have some nice looking players (that got good reviews in Wired magazine, where I heard about them), but their latest generation isn't all released yet. There's the 5s and 7s, or more basic 405s, 605s, etc. Something to check out - they seem legit, but I bet the price is a bit high due to the limited distribution (compared to Apple).
There are a bunch of people here with Archos players. As movie players, these things have a generous screen size and an output for tv. They are great!

I got the zen-xfi first, and the x-fi sounds better, but the archos is better everywhere else.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-29-2008, 08:51 AM
remoking's Avatar
remoking remoking is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Houston TX
Posts: 256
Default Re: Which Zen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
There are a bunch of people here with Archos players. As movie players, these things have a generous screen size and an output for tv. They are great!

I got the zen-xfi first, and the x-fi sounds better, but the archos is better everywhere else.
I agree. I had the Archos Gmini a few years back.
__________________
Life's waiting to begin...
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-29-2008, 09:59 AM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Which Zen?

I have a little Zen from 05 and I love it. Very reliable.

Stay away from the iPod. iTunes will try to take over your music and video functions.It's about the most obnoxious program I've ever run across, like spyware that plays (only its) music for you.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-29-2008, 10:43 AM
Guz2's Avatar
Guz2 Guz2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Britain
Posts: 466
Default Re: Which Zen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hauk View Post
How about Archos? They have some nice looking players (that got good reviews in Wired magazine, where I heard about them), but their latest generation isn't all released yet. There's the 5s and 7s, or more basic 405s, 605s, etc. Something to check out - they seem legit, but I bet the price is a bit high due to the limited distribution (compared to Apple).
Archos...Sounds too much like Argos for my liking. :P
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-29-2008, 08:55 PM
hauk's Avatar
hauk hauk is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 814
Default Re: Which Zen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by trkdrmr View Post
There are a bunch of people here with Archos players. As movie players, these things have a generous screen size and an output for tv. They are great!

I got the zen-xfi first, and the x-fi sounds better, but the archos is better everywhere else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoking View Post
I agree. I had the Archos Gmini a few years back.
And on top of all that, there's no necessary software - drag and drop! Forget iTunes. Throw in the Wi-Fi and PDF readability and it sounds like I know what to spring for when my iPod Classic dies. What kind of TV output do they have? I couldn't find anything about it on their site, except for DVR stuff.

Edit: And it runs on Linux!
__________________
"We should print up T-shirts! And F-shirts for our friends with two arms on the same side!"

Last edited by hauk; 11-29-2008 at 09:05 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com