DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-18-2008, 12:06 AM

Default Cap for SM57?

I mic my snare with a Shure SM57 and the other night I hit it with my stick and knocked the cap off (the whole top piece, grill and everthing). Looked all during our next break and after the gig but could not find it. I went to Guitar Center and they could get me one for $30. Gimme a break, a new mic is $100. Anyone have one lying around? I tied on a big foam wind screen to protect the membrane for now. But a new cap would be great.
Wayne
Old 11-18-2008, 03:50 AM

Default Re: Cap for SM57?

I had a similar problem, though just the little round grille fell off. I'm going to try to delicately super-glue it, though i'll have to be super careful about not letting it drip anywhere.

Is there a way you can get a picture of the broken mic? I know the Sm-58 is pretty much the same microphone, just with a round windscreen instead of the little metal and plastic grill. I would maybe order one of those and see if you can fit it. http://www.music123.com/Shure-RK143G...34508.Music123

Its really unfortunate that the mic is so long and awkward to place on a snare. They sound great, and are fairly cheap.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:01 AM

Good idea...I'll check on the diameters and see if it would work. In my opinion the SM57 is the best snare mic out there. But your right on about the size, do they really need all that caseing? I would use them for my toms but they are so big and heavy.

W
Old 11-18-2008, 06:39 PM
Silver Member

Most of the inside of a 57 is resin. You can heat it up, pour it out, and cut the thing down to about 3". No effect on sound. I think I saw somebody do this, with the cap turned 90 degrees for drum micing. Sounds like a plan to me.

Also, if you take out the transformer while you're screwing around, you get a poor man's SM 7, so I'm told.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:58 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Thats the main reason I use an Audix I5, you can hit it and it doesn't break, and sounds at least as good. Last snare mic you'll ever need.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
Most of the inside of a 57 is resin. You can heat it up, pour it out, and cut the thing down to about 3". No effect on sound. I think I saw somebody do this, with the cap turned 90 degrees for drum micing. Sounds like a plan to me.
Second. I knew a guy who cut it down, and the shorter mic is barely longer than most mic clips. Grab a 90 degree XLR cable, and it should fit pretty much wherever you want.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:29 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post

Also, if you take out the transformer while you're screwing around, you get a poor man's SM 7, so I'm told.

Fascinating idea for a mod. If Shure was smart, they'd come out with their own short version. The 57 is so versatile that you could use it for a lot of tight space applications if it were smaller. The extra length is useful only as a vocal mic (I hear the President of the U.S. uses a 57 on his podium).

I have five Audio Technica PRO 35s that are just as good as the 57s but they're clip on and go on just about anything, including a snare rim.