DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-14-2008, 07:59 PM

Default DW heelless pedal- Great concept, does it work?

Greetings fellow drummers,

I recently purchased a DVD by Mike Packer that outlined his approach to the heel-up bass pedal technique. I have been using it with some success. He suggests purchasing a newly designed pedal manufactured by DW and himself (ADH heeless) that will enhance the technique that he prescribes. The pedal is a simple DW single design minus the heel plate. It is priced around 300.00! Has anyone played one? How does it feel? Is there a noticeable benefit? I will say that after my last gig I had a large bruise on the bottom of my heel (I play with no shoes). I use an Iron Cobra. I was hitting pretty hard on this night. I could where shoes, or I could consider the heelless DW model. Any thoughts? In Packer's mind this pedal works well for the heel-up player (much more comfortable). Any feedback would be appreciated.

(PS The DVD by Packer was very effective)
Old 11-14-2008, 08:30 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: DW heelless pedal- Great concept, does it work?

is this it?
looks kind interesting...
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2008, 08:36 PM

Greetings,

That is it! A very basic design. A simple DW single pedal at what I think is quite an inflated price. I would pay it if I thought there was some benefit. What I am finding, at least in Ontario, Canada, no store is carrying it. At this time it is special order only. The problem is there is no opportunity to test it.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjfricker View Post
I will say that after my last gig I had a large bruise on the bottom of my heel (I play with no shoes).
It'd be wise to learn to use the pedal in a healthy manner before you go and injure yourself with it. Bruising something while playing is a pretty clear signal of wrong technique.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member

I retrofitted a standard DW5000 to make it heelless. Check it out at http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...t=23501&page=3, April 20, 2008 post.

I would be interested to know the footboard length of the new heelless DW. I thought the benefit of a heelless was that it was long (like the Axis longboards) - the picture of the new heelless model looks like a fairly short footboard.
Old 11-15-2008, 08:36 PM

I agree, the pedal board looks pretty short. In terms of the bruising, it is not a technique issue. I play barefeet with toe-up. Using the technique prescribed by Packer, the heel simply drops to the floor. This action does cause the heel to come in contact with the heel plate. I guess that is why he advocates for the heel-less model (more comfortable). I am confident that wearing shoes would also help, however, I practice shoeless, and that is the way I am most comfortable playing. I have heard of very few drummers that are using this pedal. If you are interested check out Packer's dvd http://www.michaelpacker.com/index.html
I must say that his teaching and technique have really helped me!