DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Cymbals

Cymbals Discuss Cymbals

Old 11-13-2008, 04:45 PM
Silver Member

Default Can you mess up a splash cymbal by turning it upside down on top of another cymbal?

There has been a thread but no one said whether or not it can mess it up. I just got a new A Custom splash but don't have another cymbal stand or clamped arm. I need to know cause I don't have ANY money EVER! I need this cymbal to last!

Can this mess up the cymbal?
Old 11-13-2008, 05:21 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Can you mess up a splash cymbal by turning it upside down on top of another cymba

If you want to stack a splash, make sure you have 3 cymbal felts: one for the crash to rest on, one for the splash to rest on, and another one to top it all off. This way, the cymbals never touch each other or interfere with each other's sound. Also, make sure that the cymbal is tilited toward you at an angle so you can easily access the splash. In answer to your question: It is highly unlikely that you will damage a cymbal by playing it upside down. I play a Zildjian Oriental Trash Splash (which is super-thin) stacked on top of my crash and I haven't had any problems. Hope this helps you out. . .Enjoy your new cymbal!
Old 11-13-2008, 09:55 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Can you mess up a splash cymbal by turning it upside down on top of another cymba

Remember to strike the cymbal with a glancing blow -- not straight down and straight through. I have used a splash stacked on a crash cymbal quite a bit, and I haven't destroyed one yet.
Old 11-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Silver Member

Do you use a glancing blow when you play your cymbals? This is good for the cymbal, but it has nothing to do with the tecniques we know from before. A cymbal should be hit on the side, and you have to use a rebound stroke, so you wont go straight through it.
Old 11-14-2008, 03:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mofle View Post
Do you use a glancing blow when you play your cymbals? This is good for the cymbal, but it has nothing to do with the tecniques we know from before. A cymbal should be hit on the side, and you have to use a rebound stroke, so you wont go straight through it.
Nothing to do with the technique we know from before? How come? You use the forearms, wrists and fingers to move the stick no matter how you strike your drums and cymbals, and striking a glancing blow is achieved with a minor adjustment to the angle of the stroke. I wouldn't use a rebounding (free) stroke to crash a cymbal, since you need to follow the stroke through in order to excite the cymbal properly. Besides, when you hit a cymbal towards its edge with the shaft of the stick, there's very little, if any, rebound to talk about.
Old 11-15-2008, 01:28 AM
Silver Member

That was bad formulation from my side. What I meant is that you shouldn't swing your stick from one side to another when you hit a cymbal. And I also see a lot of players with a tight grip and really digging into their cymbals (especialy crashes). So what I meant with rebound is that you sould leave your stick on the cymbal for as short as you can to get the sound you want, not hit hard and play through it.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:06 PM

I inverted a 12" Zildjian ZBT Splash on my crash about a month ago, and i always hit my cymbals with glancing blows so i dont damage them or anything, but the splashes edge is completely stuffed, it goes up n down up n down like lil hilly roads.
Old 12-04-2008, 04:50 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummertist View Post
There has been a thread but no one said whether or not it can mess it up. I just got a new A Custom splash but don't have another cymbal stand or clamped arm. I need to know cause I don't have ANY money EVER! I need this cymbal to last!

Can this mess up the cymbal?
You also want to keep the action on the cymbal loose and not have the cymbal tightened down where it can't move freely. Having it tight makes the cymbal static and unable to absorb the blows.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com

http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
Old 12-04-2008, 10:39 PM

I once tried upside down stacking one of the cymbals from my crappy old pair of 13" brass hi-hats on my ride... but then I realized I couldn't play the bell of the ride (which I do often) with the hi-hat-turned-splash on there. so off it came.