DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-08-2008, 02:00 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Setup change

Z-custom 18" projection crash





This thing is heavier than your mum, what i like about it is that it's really loud and the midrange of this thing just cuts through so much and all this from a cymbal that's really shiny too which means you get all the overtones as well. Well that's what i think i might be wrong.



the old crash ride as it was when i replaced it (pretty much).



What an afternoon and a pair of gardening shears did with that :p



I changed round my drums recently so they were 1 up 2 down. For those of you that don't already know the orange drums are tama starclassic performers (an older model with GRP Kick drum hoops) 22x16,12x12,14x14.

The big floor tom is a 16x15 premier resonator which is really lovely, it reminds me of a 20 year old mercedes, the type which would have cost like 50,000 in todays money when it was new but you can now pick one up for like 1/10th of that. This was a top of the line drum in the 80s but they cost next to nothing now even though they're just as good today as they were back then.

The snare on the other hand is hardly worth mentioning. I got it for 50 last year and it's so unbelievebly terrible the snare strainer is actually on the bed. It wasn't much good, you had to tie the snares onto it with string! The snares are now duck taped straight to what i think is the original reso head which i think is about 30 odd years old. It won't stay in tune and you can't use a drum key to tune it, you need a slot head screwdriver. I just crank it and it sounds reasonably okay.

The other cymbals are a sabian 20" solar ride and a zildjian 18" zxt china which along with my z custom are my only non-cracked cymbals. The orion solo 14" hihats (these things were new at the beginning of this year, the sabian is 5 years old!) are along with the 12" paiste 502 splash (it was used and only cost a tenner to be fair)

sorry if i've been waffling but i hope i might have given someone some good buying advice here.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-19-2008, 10:23 AM
timmdrum's Avatar
timmdrum timmdrum is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 731
Default Re: Setup change

Ack! If you like the single-head BD sound, then get a cheap head, cut the entire middle out save for the outer 2 or 3 inches, and put it & the hoop back on! Your shell's gonna get bent out-of-round!!!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-19-2008, 01:14 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: Setup change

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmdrum View Post
Ack! If you like the single-head BD sound, then get a cheap head, cut the entire middle out save for the outer 2 or 3 inches, and put it & the hoop back on! Your shell's gonna get bent out-of-round!!!
I was thinking that. Okay maybe i should put my other hoop on it?
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-19-2008, 07:47 PM
timmdrum's Avatar
timmdrum timmdrum is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Wilson, NC
Posts: 731
Default Re: Setup change

not without a head on it- the head being tensioned over the bearing edge (gotta make sure you haven't damaged the edge) provides the resistance against the downward pressure. Easy to underestimate how much the tensioned head being pulled over the bearing edge helps this matter. The hoop alone would help, but your shell will still get "ovaled" until the sides hit the hoop, then likely bend the hoop too. Besides, installing just the outer part of a head will give you the same sound, if that's the reason you removed it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-19-2008, 07:56 PM
Tom Sawyer's Avatar
Tom Sawyer Tom Sawyer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Portugal
Posts: 375
Default Re: Setup change

Maybe you should get a proper throne instead of cymbals.
__________________
...have you guessed me yet?
I am the slime
oozin' out
from your
tv set

Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-19-2008, 08:44 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: Setup change

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmdrum View Post
not without a head on it- the head being tensioned over the bearing edge (gotta make sure you haven't damaged the edge) provides the resistance against the downward pressure. Easy to underestimate how much the tensioned head being pulled over the bearing edge helps this matter. The hoop alone would help, but your shell will still get "ovaled" until the sides hit the hoop, then likely bend the hoop too. Besides, installing just the outer part of a head will give you the same sound, if that's the reason you removed it.

Fair enough okay i thought that might be the case when i took it off and i've put it back on now maybe i'll just get a recording custom head or something.

And yes i probably should get a proper throne but they don't sound as good :p
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-19-2008, 09:05 PM
805Drummer's Avatar
805Drummer 805Drummer is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: BEHIND YOU.
Posts: 1,451
Default Re: Setup change

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
Fair enough okay i thought that might be the case when i took it off and i've put it back on now maybe i'll just get a recording custom head or something.

And yes i probably should get a proper throne but they don't sound as good :p
Actually, you're throne can greatly affect how you play. The height your throne is at is SUPER important to how your arms and legs can maneuver around the kit. And the comfort of the surface your sitting on, along with the angle, etc, provide subtle (and not-so-subtle) changes in how you play.

In conclusion, thrones sound BETTER.
__________________
PDP 805 & Zildjian A
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-20-2008, 02:28 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: Setup change

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805Drummer View Post
Actually, you're throne can greatly affect how you play. The height your throne is at is SUPER important to how your arms and legs can maneuver around the kit. And the comfort of the surface your sitting on, along with the angle, etc, provide subtle (and not-so-subtle) changes in how you play.

In conclusion, thrones sound BETTER.
okay fine i'll ask for one for christmas. Happy now? :p
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-23-2008, 11:16 AM
rootkiller's Avatar
rootkiller rootkiller is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10
Default Re: Setup change

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
Z-custom 18" projection crash





This thing is heavier than your mum, what i like about it is that it's really loud and the midrange of this thing just cuts through so much and all this from a cymbal that's really shiny too which means you get all the overtones as well. Well that's what i think i might be wrong.



the old crash ride as it was when i replaced it (pretty much).



What an afternoon and a pair of gardening shears did with that :p



I changed round my drums recently so they were 1 up 2 down. For those of you that don't already know the orange drums are tama starclassic performers (an older model with GRP Kick drum hoops) 22x16,12x12,14x14.

The big floor tom is a 16x15 premier resonator which is really lovely, it reminds me of a 20 year old mercedes, the type which would have cost like 50,000 in todays money when it was new but you can now pick one up for like 1/10th of that. This was a top of the line drum in the 80s but they cost next to nothing now even though they're just as good today as they were back then.

The snare on the other hand is hardly worth mentioning. I got it for 50 last year and it's so unbelievebly terrible the snare strainer is actually on the bed. It wasn't much good, you had to tie the snares onto it with string! The snares are now duck taped straight to what i think is the original reso head which i think is about 30 odd years old. It won't stay in tune and you can't use a drum key to tune it, you need a slot head screwdriver. I just crank it and it sounds reasonably okay.

The other cymbals are a sabian 20" solar ride and a zildjian 18" zxt china which along with my z custom are my only non-cracked cymbals. The orion solo 14" hihats (these things were new at the beginning of this year, the sabian is 5 years old!) are along with the 12" paiste 502 splash (it was used and only cost a tenner to be fair)

sorry if i've been waffling but i hope i might have given someone some good buying advice here.
OMFG. This is a BIG CATASTROPHE.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-23-2008, 11:53 AM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: Setup change

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootkiller View Post
OMFG. This is a BIG CATASTROPHE.
Well mate i COULD have bought a mapex pro m or a sonor 3000 with my money and been like everyone else but i didn't i bought these drums because they sounded good not because they looked perfect. It's not just about how a set looks y'know it's about how it sounds and feels.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-23-2008, 03:47 PM
rootkiller's Avatar
rootkiller rootkiller is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10
Default Re: Setup change

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
Well mate i COULD have bought a mapex pro m or a sonor 3000 with my money and been like everyone else but i didn't i bought these drums because they sounded good not because they looked perfect. It's not just about how a set looks y'know it's about how it sounds and feels.
Where is the front head?? What is the big blanket in the kick?? What is the confusion?? What is the catasrophic broken ZBT cymbal?? Where is the throne? In good birch drum with good heads and tuning, muffling would not be needed.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-24-2008, 07:53 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: Setup change

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootkiller View Post
Where is the front head?? What is the big blanket in the kick?? What is the confusion?? What is the catasrophic broken ZBT cymbal?? Where is the throne? In good birch drum with good heads and tuning, muffling would not be needed.
actually it does have a front head on now i thought it might be a problem so thanks for telling me that timdrum. The reason there is 2 PILLOWS not a blanket in the kick is for recording, even professional studios with 2500 kits do the same including taking the front head off however they use echo absorbing foam pads lining the inside surface, modern rock and metal music is difficult to record and produce since a lot of the sonic space is taken up by guitars and such, the best way to hear the kick is not to have the resonance of the actual drum itself but the attack of the batter on the head, the best way to do that is to have the mic inside the drum and muffle the sound as much as possible to reduce harsh overtones only heard by the actual mic inside the kick drum caused by the resonance, it also increases the attack dramatically which gives a marked improvement in both recorded and real life sound.

The cymbal cost me 20 and it was a cheap medium thin sheet bronze peice of crap anyway it was bound to crack eventually, i didn't immediately have 150 at my disposal so instead had to make do with it. Now when you DO have this money and you are faced with either buying a drum throne and another shitty cheap ZBT cymbal or going for a much heavier and more hard wearning z custom then i think it's a bit of a no-brainer to be honest.

I don't understand what you mean by "confusion" it's a 1 up 2 down kit 12, 14 ,16, 22 with a 14" inch snare just like a lot of kits on this very website i really don't see what you are getting at. You must be a real retard if that's enough to confuse you.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-25-2008, 03:45 PM
rootkiller's Avatar
rootkiller rootkiller is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 10
Default Re: Setup change

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
actually it does have a front head on now i thought it might be a problem so thanks for telling me that timdrum. The reason there is 2 PILLOWS not a blanket in the kick is for recording, even professional studios with 2500 kits do the same including taking the front head off however they use echo absorbing foam pads lining the inside surface, modern rock and metal music is difficult to record and produce since a lot of the sonic space is taken up by guitars and such, the best way to hear the kick is not to have the resonance of the actual drum itself but the attack of the batter on the head, the best way to do that is to have the mic inside the drum and muffle the sound as much as possible to reduce harsh overtones only heard by the actual mic inside the kick drum caused by the resonance, it also increases the attack dramatically which gives a marked improvement in both recorded and real life sound.

The cymbal cost me 20 and it was a cheap medium thin sheet bronze peice of crap anyway it was bound to crack eventually, i didn't immediately have 150 at my disposal so instead had to make do with it. Now when you DO have this money and you are faced with either buying a drum throne and another shitty cheap ZBT cymbal or going for a much heavier and more hard wearning z custom then i think it's a bit of a no-brainer to be honest.

I don't understand what you mean by "confusion" it's a 1 up 2 down kit 12, 14 ,16, 22 with a 14" inch snare just like a lot of kits on this very website i really don't see what you are getting at. You must be a real retard if that's enough to confuse you.
Sorry my friend, I'm Hungarian, and my english is not good. The confusion is not a good world, your setup is perfect. My problem is this: why are the discs underfoot and miscellaneous? If I make photos in my set, make order in the room, Because else peoples says: he's a disorderly person. Why not to cut round this ZBT? This is a five minutes job. And the front head: if he likes you so and the view is not important, I say: it's all the same to me. (Please answer in easy english. thanx).
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-25-2008, 07:23 PM
lewisn27
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Setup change

I love the hammering on Z Customs.
Nice Mam joke by the way,
bitch.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-25-2008, 07:40 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: Setup change

Quote:
Originally Posted by rootkiller View Post
Sorry my friend, I'm Hungarian, and my english is not good. The confusion is not a good world, your setup is perfect. My problem is this: why are the discs underfoot and miscellaneous? If I make photos in my set, make order in the room, Because else peoples says: he's a disorderly person. Why not to cut round this ZBT? This is a five minutes job. And the front head: if he likes you so and the view is not important, I say: it's all the same to me. (Please answer in easy english. thanx).
The reason my CDs are there is because i don't have anywhere else to put them. Or at least i didn't, now i have put them away into a storage compartment under my computer desk. Okay yes i see what you mean about making the kit look presentable but this really is not a kit that is very presentable as i said before, having said that i've tidied it up a bit now and it does look better.



it needs to be dusted and i need to get rid of the wood shavings but hopefully in the future my carbon fibre sticks should take care of that problem before it starts. I think i already answered my question on the ZBT bell which is that i used a pair of huge gardening shears as they were the only thing i could find with enough leverage to cut through the thick metal, it would have taken me a long time to do that with more accurate smaller tools which just is not worth the effort for the sake of a 20 cymbal.

As for your comment on the front head i accept english is not your first language but it's not very well worded. Are you telling me that if i'm happy with the head and the actual look of the kit is not important then it's not really much of an issue? I guess so but i did have my doubts as to whether it would warp or crack over long periods without a front head with the ride cymbal on top of the drum so i decided i'd put it back on for now until i can find a head with a bigger hole or make one of my own.

Anyway i think the point is here that it's better that we talk like adults instead of you coming in and insulting my kit straight away. I'm not trying to be mean or anything all i'm simply making a point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisn27 View Post
I love the hammering on Z Customs.
Nice Mam joke by the way,
bitch.
Haha i was watching a song video and i could actually see the drummer was using z-customs just from the hammering pattern, worringly though it's a lot like the zbt hammering pattern, i suppose that's why these are cheaper than a or k customs because they're machine hammered.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 12:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com