DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 11-07-2008, 02:12 AM

Default New drummer - Mapex Q series

New to the site, Hello all!

I picked up a Yamaha drumpad early this year, always wanted drums but couldnt have a full set at the time. After a few months of playing those, I got frustrated with the limitations of the pad. So I went and picked up a Mapex Q series kit, I spent a bit more than I could really afford, but thats what Visas are for!

Mapex Q series 5 piece kit
-22" Bass drum
-14" Snare
-12" Tom
-13" Tom
-16" Floor Tom
Zildjian Cymbal kit
-14" Crash
-18" Crash ride
-13" Hi-hat pair
Yamaha DD-65 drumpad

Heads are Remo, came with the kit. The two main toms are already looking like they're gonna need replacement soon. Snare and floor tom seem fine tho. I'm not sure I've got them tuned as well as they could be, and how often should they need adjustment or replacement? Playing mainly with some Zildjian 5Bs, but I also have some Promark Hot Rods that are nice every now and then.

Picked up the kit about 3 months ago now, I try and play them atleast half hour a day. I've improved a lot since I started playing, but I definately need to keep practicing. Especially rudiments, but I find it hard to focus on them and fight the desire to just play rock beats and other stuff. My left arm seems to be pretty uncoordinated, it doesnt want to play as fast as my right.... not by a long shot. Drum rolls seem good, but if I'm doing anything more than a basic rock beat, the left arm tends to fall out of rythym. And when I'm doing the drum rolls, I cant seem to get an accent with the left hand. Just more and more practice? or are there any techniques I can try to improve this?

I've replaced the ear-plugs in the picture with some industrial earmuff protection that provides -26db, and I picked up some V-moda in-ear headphones today. They seem to work pretty good, tho the earbuds stick down a little far, so the earmuffs put a bit of pressure on my ears. Its not horrible, and now I'll be able to actually hear a metronome and play along with music. I'd like to get some drum mics to do some recording, but I'm going to have to wait for a little while.

Where would I go to get a floor mat for my kit? Is there a specific type of rug that tends to work better? I'm playing on a carpeted floor right now, but I'm going to be on hardwood in a few months that I'll have to be very careful on.
Old 11-07-2008, 02:18 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: New drummer - Mapex Q series

As for your rug, http://www.guitarcenter.com/Cannon-D...85-i1137291.gc.

As for everything else, bump!
Old 11-07-2008, 09:22 AM

congratulations on your purchase. i must say u picked up good set of drums.
makes makes even the beginner sets of very good quality.

have a blast. dont try to do everything too fast. it all takes time and you will soon be able to play real good.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:38 AM
Platinum Member

Welcome to Drummerworld. Nice starter kit. Read the forum. Join the chaos, and have fun playing drums. Not uncommon to burn up "stock" heads fast. They say Remo, but chances are they're the UT heads. Your next batch will be much better.
Old 11-23-2008, 01:42 AM

Bro welcome to the wonderful world of mapex and drumming the kit you got is an amazing kt to start on I started on tht kit.
With drum head you should make sure that they are in tune abut every other day just as youst down test em see if you like the sound. I repace my heads every 3-5 months (you can use them past that that is jut my suggetion) unless the heads break. Remos and evans are my favies you cango to evans.com to find a chart on what sound you get with what heads.
As for gettin better with the rudiments I would go to a guitar center if yo can find one and get a desent hal leanard (or however you spell) begginer drum set book. and work out of it at last 10min a day I would say to get one that has a lot of the rudiments in it .
I would say of a drum rug you can get one at a musicstore or whati did was I went to the home depot and got a $20 space rug.
Hope you have as much fun as i have had druming and stick to it a keep learning. if you have any other ? ask people.
Old 11-23-2008, 04:16 PM
Administrator

TRy a carpet store and ask them for a remnant or go to Home DEpot and find a piece for 30.00. I found mine 6 x 9 feet at Bed bath and Beyond for 30.00