DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #41  
Old 01-12-2009, 03:33 AM
DarthDiablo DarthDiablo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 11
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Hey everyone - quick story and then a QUESTION for those of you who are big time Ahead users.

I just switched to these (the Tommy Lee Concert model, I used to use the Vic Firth Metal sticks) last summer for a few different reasons.

#1, I had a really bad shoulder injury and the sticks promised less shock. I also have a bad right wrist from playing mostly punk and metal for 20 years - LOTS of fast eighth notes. The amount of shock that is reduced by playing with these sticks is HUGE and I rarely feel any discomfort in my wrists at all now when I play.

#2, I break A LOT of sticks. When I go on a tour, I have to bring a new pair of sticks for every show of the tour. That gets expensive when we go out for 6 weeks at a time and play 35 - 40 shows. With the Aheads, I did 5 rehearsals and 1 show before a tip finally flew off. If I had been using wood sticks, I would have gone through at least 2 - 3 pairs in that time frame and would have spent at least $21 replacing those sticks, depending on how friendly the guys at the drum shop were that week. Instead, I put on a new tip that I bought on eBay in a bag of 10 that cost me about $4, including shipping. So that's about $0.40 that I've spent so far as the sticks were a gift.

#3, I also break A LOT of cymbals. I have to buy 2 -3 new cymbals per year. A crash usually last me about 6 months before it goes. And I use the best - no B8 Pros or whatever the current student model is. We're talking Avedis Zildjian Rock Crashes, Paiste Rudes, Sabian HH, etc. Whatever you've got, I'll break it. Many of the claims I've read both from sales brochures and from people on message boards who actually use the sticks have said that they are better for your gear than wood sticks. So far, so good on that as well.

Now of course you can criticize my technique as being just a caveman basher, and I would probably take that as a compliment so you'd be wasting your time. There are just certain styles of music that require hard hitting drums. There are also certain guitar players who feel that if their drummer plays one rim shot, they have to turn their amp up to 10,000 and leave it there. For like 8 friggin years, all over the damn world! But hey, that's rock n' roll.

ANYWAY, for those of you who use these sticks a lot, I do have a question:

I lost a tip on one of my sticks today. No, I didn't break every head and cymbal on my drumset because of it. I felt a difference in the weight of the stick, saw the tip was gone, and grabbed another one out of my stick depot - no further damage done. So anyway, I replaced that tip when I got home, but now I've noticed that the sleeve is loose. It will slide around the aluminum shaft pretty easily and will slide from side to side just below the tip of the stick. I have the tip screwed on all the way - did the business card and pair of pliers trick. I'm wondering, has anyone else had this happen and/or do you know of a way to fix it? The sleeve itself is in good condition and I think it has probably 2 or 3 more rehearsals in it before it needs to be replaced so I'm hoping not to have to replace it.

Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 01-12-2009, 03:05 PM
wolfmoon's Avatar
wolfmoon wolfmoon is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 762
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

1 You probably don't have the tip screwed down all of the way.

2 May be the wrong relacement sleeve ????

3 If you heated the covers, you may have over heated it causing it to expand too much and slide around which would make it seem too big.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-12-2009, 03:40 PM
DarthDiablo DarthDiablo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 11
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Thanks Wolfman, I'll try to get the tip on tighter. The sleeve is original to the stick from the factory, so it's gotta be the tip then.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-12-2009, 07:16 PM
wolfmoon's Avatar
wolfmoon wolfmoon is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 762
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDiablo View Post
Thanks Wolfman, I'll try to get the tip on tighter. The sleeve is original to the stick from the factory, so it's gotta be the tip then.
Here is 1 more thing... The sleeve may have been cut a little too short at the factory. The tip should screw right down on the cover. If there is a gap between the tip and the cover and you have screwed it down all the way. . . just get yourself some new covers.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-13-2009, 12:32 AM
DarthDiablo DarthDiablo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 11
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Awesome, thanks for the tips, Wolfman! I tried screwing it on tighter and that did the trick just fine - the sleeve isn't going anywhere now. I guess I just have to get used to the maintenance part. I did manage to scuff up the tip, though, using a business card and a pair of pliers - the pliers ate right through the card. But I should get quite of play out of it still. Do you know of a better way than the business card trick or do I just need to tell my friends to make more heavy duty business cards?
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-13-2009, 02:24 AM
Fiery's Avatar
Fiery Fiery is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Serbia
Posts: 705
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDiablo View Post
Now of course you can criticize my technique as being just a caveman basher, and I would probably take that as a compliment so you'd be wasting your time. There are just certain styles of music that require hard hitting drums.
Would you consider John Bonham a hard hitting drummer?
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:56 AM
wolfmoon's Avatar
wolfmoon wolfmoon is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 762
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDiablo View Post
Awesome, thanks for the tips, Wolfman! I tried screwing it on tighter and that did the trick just fine - the sleeve isn't going anywhere now. I guess I just have to get used to the maintenance part. I did manage to scuff up the tip, though, using a business card and a pair of pliers - the pliers ate right through the card. But I should get quite of play out of it still. Do you know of a better way than the business card trick or do I just need to tell my friends to make more heavy duty business cards?
I just use my shirt and pliers. Put the pliers on the shirt covered tip and turn the stick with the hand that's holding it. I also put a very small "drop" of super glue on the threads when changing sleeves. That will stop the tips from coming loose. I always check them between songs or before and after I play. I have been using them for just about 9 years now. I love them.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-13-2009, 04:29 PM
LeeLovesSabian's Avatar
LeeLovesSabian LeeLovesSabian is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 532
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Update:

My Metallica series sticks, have still not broken.
__________________
All Things Zombie Forum

http://www.allthingszombie.com/forums/index.php

User ID Creeping Death
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-15-2009, 12:37 AM
DarthDiablo DarthDiablo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 11
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
Would you consider John Bonham a hard hitting drummer?
Absolutely - and what was great about Bonham is that so much of it was in his wrists, especially as he got older. In the early days he was wild flailing arms and hair, but in the later videos I've seen he's much more reserved as far as his body movements, but he's still killin those drums. It's drummers like Bonham, Moon, and Carmine Appice that we have to thank for the fact that we have heavy duty hardware on our drums today since those guys broke so much of it.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 01-15-2009, 12:38 AM
DarthDiablo DarthDiablo is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 11
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
I just use my shirt and pliers. Put the pliers on the shirt covered tip and turn the stick with the hand that's holding it. I also put a very small "drop" of super glue on the threads when changing sleeves. That will stop the tips from coming loose. I always check them between songs or before and after I play. I have been using them for just about 9 years now. I love them.
Awesome, thanks again Wolfman. I will try that next time I do new tips/sleeves.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 01-16-2009, 12:41 AM
Fiery's Avatar
Fiery Fiery is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Serbia
Posts: 705
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDiablo View Post
Absolutely - and what was great about Bonham is that so much of it was in his wrists, especially as he got older. In the early days he was wild flailing arms and hair, but in the later videos I've seen he's much more reserved as far as his body movements, but he's still killin those drums. It's drummers like Bonham, Moon, and Carmine Appice that we have to thank for the fact that we have heavy duty hardware on our drums today since those guys broke so much of it.
The thing with Bonham is that in the later days, with apropriate technique, he broke far fewer sticks, cymbals and heads without losing any of the volume or intensity in his playing. He is a perfect example of a hard hitter who isn't a basher.

Please don't take this as a rant, it's just something to think about, especially if you plan on rocking the kit for the next 20 years with the same intensity. If you feel that what you are doing now will let you achieve the results you want in the best possible way for you, by all means keep doing it.

Well, that's all I wanted to say, thanks for the attention and keep hitting hard!
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 01-17-2009, 10:59 PM
elliotdrummer7227's Avatar
elliotdrummer7227 elliotdrummer7227 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: england, suffolk, felixstowe, trimely
Posts: 187
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

right for some reason my tips keep getting chipped, but i think its because i like to play alot on the open hats, the rides bell and hard hitting my crashes!
from now on i am going to not hitting so hard but when i get a pair of vic firth 5a nylon tip and they break i will buy ahead!
but as i am 11 i can't really earn money so i would have to stay with aheads even if over a time i hated them!

please tell my why i keep breaking the tips!!!??
heres some pics of the tip(1st pic: vic firth 3a )
__________________

(\_/)
(O.o)
(><)
MOOSE IS HERE!!!

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=48228
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 01-26-2009, 05:22 PM
Fiery's Avatar
Fiery Fiery is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Serbia
Posts: 705
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

You should hit open hi-hats, bells and crashes with the shoulder of the stick, and that doesn't break the tips. The tips chip and break from playing the ride mostly.
And Ahead nylon tips aren't much more durable than standard wood stick nylon tips as far as I know.
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 01-27-2009, 07:09 PM
gibeachhead gibeachhead is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 118
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

I have been wanting to try Ahead sticks for a few years now. I finally ordered a pair, i'll post what I think of them after a week or so of playing with them
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 01-28-2009, 07:12 AM
ross--'s Avatar
ross-- ross-- is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: denver
Posts: 85
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

I love Ahead sticks but have I have mixed feelings. I have gone through about 5 pairs in about 5 years so in that sense I've saved a lot of money. However, I love the sound of wood tips on my hat and ride better. I should post pics of my poor beaten aheads. Has anyone actually changed the sleeves of these? How in the world? Any videos out there of this mystery/myth?
__________________
Mapex Mars/ Sabian AA, AAX, AA metal X, HH/ Peal Icon/Pearl Eliminators
www.myspace.com/illixermusic
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-30-2009, 07:32 PM
gibeachhead gibeachhead is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 118
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Not even a week of use and I already prefer the Ahead sticks over my standard Vic Firths. The sound they produce on the toms is amazing, wow. So much power behind these sticks, I also like the nice ping I get on the ride.

I love these sticks and will continue to use them for a long time, I recommend people to at least try them out if they can.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-30-2009, 08:40 PM
eddiehimself's Avatar
eddiehimself eddiehimself is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Room 409
Posts: 2,565
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDiablo View Post
Hey everyone - quick story and then a QUESTION for those of you who are big time Ahead users.

I just switched to these (the Tommy Lee Concert model, I used to use the Vic Firth Metal sticks) last summer for a few different reasons.

#1, I had a really bad shoulder injury and the sticks promised less shock. I also have a bad right wrist from playing mostly punk and metal for 20 years - LOTS of fast eighth notes. The amount of shock that is reduced by playing with these sticks is HUGE and I rarely feel any discomfort in my wrists at all now when I play.

#2, I break A LOT of sticks. When I go on a tour, I have to bring a new pair of sticks for every show of the tour. That gets expensive when we go out for 6 weeks at a time and play 35 - 40 shows. With the Aheads, I did 5 rehearsals and 1 show before a tip finally flew off. If I had been using wood sticks, I would have gone through at least 2 - 3 pairs in that time frame and would have spent at least $21 replacing those sticks, depending on how friendly the guys at the drum shop were that week. Instead, I put on a new tip that I bought on eBay in a bag of 10 that cost me about $4, including shipping. So that's about $0.40 that I've spent so far as the sticks were a gift.

#3, I also break A LOT of cymbals. I have to buy 2 -3 new cymbals per year. A crash usually last me about 6 months before it goes. And I use the best - no B8 Pros or whatever the current student model is. We're talking Avedis Zildjian Rock Crashes, Paiste Rudes, Sabian HH, etc. Whatever you've got, I'll break it. Many of the claims I've read both from sales brochures and from people on message boards who actually use the sticks have said that they are better for your gear than wood sticks. So far, so good on that as well.

Now of course you can criticize my technique as being just a caveman basher, and I would probably take that as a compliment so you'd be wasting your time. There are just certain styles of music that require hard hitting drums. There are also certain guitar players who feel that if their drummer plays one rim shot, they have to turn their amp up to 10,000 and leave it there. For like 8 friggin years, all over the damn world! But hey, that's rock n' roll.

ANYWAY, for those of you who use these sticks a lot, I do have a question:

I lost a tip on one of my sticks today. No, I didn't break every head and cymbal on my drumset because of it. I felt a difference in the weight of the stick, saw the tip was gone, and grabbed another one out of my stick depot - no further damage done. So anyway, I replaced that tip when I got home, but now I've noticed that the sleeve is loose. It will slide around the aluminum shaft pretty easily and will slide from side to side just below the tip of the stick. I have the tip screwed on all the way - did the business card and pair of pliers trick. I'm wondering, has anyone else had this happen and/or do you know of a way to fix it? The sleeve itself is in good condition and I think it has probably 2 or 3 more rehearsals in it before it needs to be replaced so I'm hoping not to have to replace it.

Thanks for reading!
Hmm that's funny some guys have told me that i shouldn't buy non-wood sticks because they're BAD for my cymbals. Funny that. Hmm i'll definetly have to try some out some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
You should hit open hi-hats, bells and crashes with the shoulder of the stick, and that doesn't break the tips. The tips chip and break from playing the ride mostly.
And Ahead nylon tips aren't much more durable than standard wood stick nylon tips as far as I know.
In my experience i tend to get more sticks breaking away from the tip, rather than the tip snapping off.
__________________
Underworked, underpaid and under-sexed...

EHs Music Facebook Page
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-30-2009, 09:55 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,049
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

I bought a pair of these on impulse last weekend. I played them for 5 minutes and thought they were awful. I got 5As and they're heavier than any 5A I've ever played. The balance is just weird, with most of the weight settled in the front of the stick. They sound terrible on cymbals (to me)...and are generally devoid of all of the warmth of a wood stick.

So, I've got a pristine pair of Ahead 5A with an extra set of nylon sleeves...all still in the package...if anyone wants a deal. I'll sell 'em for $20 + shipping (I paid $37 + tax). Guitar Center won't take them back because they "don't take used sticks". They don't have a mark on them so that's a load...but I guess I'm stuck with them.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-30-2009, 10:05 PM
gibeachhead gibeachhead is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 118
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
I bought a pair of these on impulse last weekend. I played them for 5 minutes and thought they were awful. I got 5As and they're heavier than any 5A I've ever played. The balance is just weird, with most of the weight settled in the front of the stick. They sound terrible on cymbals (to me)...and are generally devoid of all of the warmth of a wood stick.
This just shows the diversity of preference. You either like these sticks or you hate em.

The sticks obviously are balanced differently than wooden sticks, but it will only bother some people and not others. And the rock vic firths I use are far heavier than the Aheads.
Reply With Quote
  #60  
Old 01-30-2009, 10:10 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,049
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by gibeachhead View Post
This just shows the diversity of preference. You either like these sticks or you hate em.

The sticks obviously are balanced differently than wooden sticks, but it will only bother some people and not others. And the rock vic firths I use are far heavier than the Aheads.
Yep, I knew right away they weren't for me. I don't like nylon tips to begin with but I figured I've give these a chance.

I'm comparing the 5As that I normally play....VF American Classic, Akira Jimbo sig., Weckl Evolution sig. - the Ahead 5A were considerably heavier and balanced toward toward the tip. The "rock" model is a bigger stick, isn't it?

Ever held a dumbbell with a plate on only one side, in your hand? That's the first thing I thought of.
Reply With Quote
  #61  
Old 01-30-2009, 10:27 PM
gibeachhead gibeachhead is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 118
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
I'm comparing the 5As thatI normally play....VF American Classic, Akira Jimbo sig., Weckl Evolution sig. - the Ahead 5A were considerably heavier and balanced toward toward the tip. The "rock" model is a bigger stick, isn't it?
Yes the Rock stick is quite larger than your typical 5A.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-30-2009, 10:59 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross-- View Post
I love Ahead sticks but have I have mixed feelings. I have gone through about 5 pairs in about 5 years so in that sense I've saved a lot of money. However, I love the sound of wood tips on my hat and ride better. I should post pics of my poor beaten aheads. Has anyone actually changed the sleeves of these? How in the world? Any videos out there of this mystery/myth?
Try rubbing the tips a bit with some coarse sandpaper. That will mellow the sound on cymbals and give Aheads a woodier sound.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
I bought a pair of these on impulse last weekend. I played them for 5 minutes and thought they were awful. I got 5As and they're heavier than any 5A I've ever played. The balance is just weird, with most of the weight settled in the front of the stick. They sound terrible on cymbals (to me)...and are generally devoid of all of the warmth of a wood stick.

So, I've got a pristine pair of Ahead 5A with an extra set of nylon sleeves...all still in the package...if anyone wants a deal. I'll sell 'em for $20 + shipping (I paid $37 + tax). Guitar Center won't take them back because they "don't take used sticks". They don't have a mark on them so that's a load...but I guess I'm stuck with them.
We should get together soon and geek out and see what gear we can trade. I think you have a fiberskyn head I could use. I have Aheads but I might be willing to trade off some stuff for your set and then I'd have two. I've got a great hihat stand and other stuff you should come check out.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 01-30-2009, 11:50 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,049
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
We should get together soon and geek out and see what gear we can trade. I think you have a fiberskyn head I could use. I have Aheads but I might be willing to trade off some stuff for your set and then I'd have two. I've got a great hihat stand and other stuff you should come check out.
Yeah, let's do that. I've got a bunch of stuff I'm ready to sell off that I had actually planned to list on eBay this weekend. I've been hesitant as I've noticed my wife's sales have dropped off w/ the credit-bubble collapse.
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 01-31-2009, 12:41 AM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
Yeah, let's do that. I've got a bunch of stuff I'm ready to sell off that I had actually planned to list on eBay this weekend. I've been hesitant as I've noticed my wife's sales have dropped off w/ the credit-bubble collapse.
We should organize some kind of meet-and-swap where people can bring their gear for trade and sale, a social thing as well as a way to find new gear.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 02-03-2009, 05:32 AM
Fiery's Avatar
Fiery Fiery is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Serbia
Posts: 705
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
Hmm that's funny some guys have told me that i shouldn't buy non-wood sticks because they're BAD for my cymbals. Funny that. Hmm i'll definetly have to try some out some day.

In my experience i tend to get more sticks breaking away from the tip, rather than the tip snapping off.
Maybe you should work on loosening your grip and letting the stick rebound freely. I rarely get my sticks to break from the tip down, it mostly starts in the middle, where they get chipped from rimshots.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 02-03-2009, 11:36 PM
CASP3Rdrummer's Avatar
CASP3Rdrummer CASP3Rdrummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: peania greece
Posts: 256
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

i have used them and trust me on this

pros:

economical for practicing because they can't really break (except if you bash them as hard as you can)


cons:

bad feel
badly balanced (too much weight on front side)
crappy sound (specially on cymbals)
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 02-11-2009, 07:05 AM
masonni's Avatar
masonni masonni is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Hollywood, CA
Posts: 1,352
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASP3Rdrummer View Post
i have used them and trust me on this

pros:

economical for practicing because they can't really break (except if you bash them as hard as you can)


cons:

bad feel
badly balanced (too much weight on front side)
crappy sound (specially on cymbals)
Sounds like you need to find the right pair.

I tried just about every Ahead model made until I found the "right" pair for me.
I tend to like a longer stick, so I went for the Tommy Lee.
Way too tip heavy and whorable balance. Then I tried the shorter Tommy Lee model, still too heavy... The Lars model... nice feel, but too short, and when grip tape is put it, it throughs the balance off. The 5B and Rock... no way!

Finaly I got to the Tico Torres model. It's kind of a cross between the Tommy and the Lars. Felt a little unbalanced, but the lenght was perfect. Then when I added grip tape, the balance evened off and I found my golden stick!

Now, it's a big rock stick and can't be used for eveything, so for teaching and Jazz, Blues and lighter gigs I figured, lets get a 5A...
Again, too short, too thin, just bad all around... But the new Hybrids!!!! MAN! Now thats a stick.
5B Grip with a 5A shaft, and they made a slightly longer version. The rebound on is is just like a wood stick. Perfect for rudiments while teaching, and perfect for lighter gigs!
Grip tape throughs the balance off again, so I just used electrical tape.

So the point is... keep looking and maybe you will find the right Ahead model.
Though, if you don't like the sound, well.. oh well... But most people can't tell. I have used them in the studio and so far know one has ever been able to pick out what recordings I used wood and what I used Ahead for.
__________________
nickmason.org
facebook
Twitter
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 02-12-2009, 03:58 PM
ShaysRebellion's Avatar
ShaysRebellion ShaysRebellion is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northern VA
Posts: 121
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

I had Ahead 2B's and they were terrible, i couldnt stand them. They have a very unbalanced feel because you have a heavy polymer front end, and a hollow, light aluminum back end. The balance is terrible, and they get really slippery if your hands get sweaty, they aluminum doesn't help with that.
__________________
HRT
Equipped to Kill or Spare, Always Ready to save a life
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 02-12-2009, 07:42 PM
wolfmoon's Avatar
wolfmoon wolfmoon is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 762
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaysRebellion View Post
I had Ahead 2B's and they were terrible, i couldnt stand them. They have a very unbalanced feel because you have a heavy polymer front end, and a hollow, light aluminum back end. The balance is terrible, and they get really slippery if your hands get sweaty, they aluminum doesn't help with that.
Like I always say when the Ahead discussion comes up.... They aren't for everyone. That doesn't make them a bad product. I have been using Ahead 2B's for 9 years now. I have been playing for over 30 years. I hated them when I first tried them BUT at $30 a pair, there was no way in hell that I was going to throw them out. I just played with them on and off until I adjusted to them. Once I adjusted to them, I stayed with them and never went back to wood. I really don't know anyone that tried them and liked them immediately. I felt and said the same things you said when I tried them. I'd say keep them and play with them once in a while. Depending on your playing habits, you may save a lot of money in the long run if you end up liking and using them. In 9 years, I am going to guess that I bought 6 or 7 pairs. That's close to $200 (give or take) over a 9 year period! When I was using wood and playing every day say.... 1 - 2 hours a day, I would go through 2 or 3 pair of them at 6 - $9 a pair so... at some point I may have been spending over or close to $100 a month on sticks depending on what brand I used. Wow.. I never thought about it like that until now.
Reply With Quote
  #71  
Old 02-16-2009, 08:07 AM
masonni's Avatar
masonni masonni is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: North Hollywood, CA
Posts: 1,352
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaysRebellion View Post
I had Ahead 2B's and they were terrible, i couldnt stand them. They have a very unbalanced feel because you have a heavy polymer front end, and a hollow, light aluminum back end. The balance is terrible, and they get really slippery if your hands get sweaty, they aluminum doesn't help with that.
Thats why you add grip tape. It will balance out the stick and will not slip when you get sweaty hands...
__________________
nickmason.org
facebook
Twitter
Reply With Quote
  #72  
Old 03-04-2009, 09:24 AM
crdirtRider856's Avatar
crdirtRider856 crdirtRider856 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: southern new jersey
Posts: 564
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
So, I've got a pristine pair of Ahead 5A with an extra set of nylon sleeves...all still in the package...if anyone wants a deal. I'll sell 'em for $20 + shipping (I paid $37 + tax). Guitar Center won't take them back because they "don't take used sticks". They don't have a mark on them so that's a load...but I guess I'm stuck with them.
Hey Z, Still have em? Cuz I ll take em...
Reply With Quote
  #73  
Old 03-05-2009, 09:58 PM
stabmasterarson stabmasterarson is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 141
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

I just started playing with the light rock 5b sticks, and I really like them. They make my snare sound like a metal snare, and feel good in my hands. They have way more rebound than wood which helps me play faster, I think. The only thing I don't like about them is when I hit the bell of my ride with the stick, like sidesticking, I don't get the same KLANG noise I would get from wood sticks, I think it's because there is an aluminum tube then a sleeve so it isn't a solid object.

Otherwise I play better with them.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 03-05-2009, 10:14 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,049
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdirtRider856 View Post
Hey Z, Still have em? Cuz I ll take em...
Yep! PM me and we can work out the details. I meant to list them on Craigslist or eBay weeks ago...but never got around to it.
Reply With Quote
  #75  
Old 03-06-2009, 10:41 AM
crdirtRider856's Avatar
crdirtRider856 crdirtRider856 is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: southern new jersey
Posts: 564
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
Yep! PM me and we can work out the details. I meant to list them on Craigslist or eBay weeks ago...but never got around to it.
No need to worry about that man, I got you on the sticks.
Btw, hows that sexy new set workin for ya? I need to check the forum more often. Things ve been a lil screwed up these last few months. But I m still here, always... : D
Reply With Quote
  #76  
Old 05-19-2009, 08:37 PM
LeeLovesSabian's Avatar
LeeLovesSabian LeeLovesSabian is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 532
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Mine still haven't broken.
They're torn up, but not broken. : )
__________________
All Things Zombie Forum

http://www.allthingszombie.com/forums/index.php

User ID Creeping Death
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 05-19-2009, 08:40 PM
wolfmoon's Avatar
wolfmoon wolfmoon is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 762
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLovesSabian View Post
Mine still haven't broken.
They're torn up, but not broken. : )
If the covers are torn up, you need to replace them ASAP or you risk damaging your cymbals.
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 05-20-2009, 02:57 PM
LeeLovesSabian's Avatar
LeeLovesSabian LeeLovesSabian is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 532
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
If the covers are torn up, you need to replace them ASAP or you risk damaging your cymbals.
The tips are just fine.
And the rest of the stick is just beat up like a regular wood one.
__________________
All Things Zombie Forum

http://www.allthingszombie.com/forums/index.php

User ID Creeping Death
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 05-20-2009, 04:59 PM
wolfmoon's Avatar
wolfmoon wolfmoon is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 762
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeLovesSabian View Post
The tips are just fine.
And the rest of the stick is just beat up like a regular wood one.
Yeah! That is what I am talking about...the sleeves not the tips. There is a "metal" core under the plastic sleeves. If the sleeves are chewed up and the metal core comes in contact with your cymbals, they will become damaged.
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 05-20-2009, 08:34 PM
LeeLovesSabian's Avatar
LeeLovesSabian LeeLovesSabian is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ohio
Posts: 532
Default Re: Ahead alloy drum sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmoon View Post
Yeah! That is what I am talking about...the sleeves not the tips. There is a "metal" core under the plastic sleeves. If the sleeves are chewed up and the metal core comes in contact with your cymbals, they will become damaged.
Uh-oh....
I didn't realize that.......

Time to buy new ones I guess.
__________________
All Things Zombie Forum

http://www.allthingszombie.com/forums/index.php

User ID Creeping Death
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com